Northwestern Mutual

Average Difficulty
853 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

New York, NY (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in January 2014.

Interview Details Reached out to them about a position and they ask you for a phone call to start off with and then proceed with a follow up interview in the office. It was pretty easy going through the process because they were mainly fit questions and they make you fill out a Project 100 and these surveys to see if you can do the job. I had to then go back in 2 other times to meet with other members in the office for essentially the same interview 3 times. Again all fit questions just to see if they like you.

Interview Question – The Project 100 and market surveys were the hardest part because it made you get a feel for what type of market you would be able to deal with and if you could perform well enough.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Financial Representative

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview Details I applied online and received a phone call the next day. They asked me to come in for an interview the next day. When I went in for the interview, they asked me what I am looking for in a career. I told them that I was not looking for any sort of sales position. I didn't like the idea of selling insurance to my friends. They told me to go ahead and take the homework assignment, which is making a list of people you know who you can sell insurance to. I did not feel comfortable doing that, so I said no.

Interview Question – How many people do I know?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Intern
New Tulsa, OK (US)

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in January 2013.

Interview Details Seemed to be more of a sales pitch than an interview. Discussed how interns could potentially make money and how that would bleed over into a potential job. However, did not seem clear exactly how the incentive structure was aligned.

Interview Question – Providing contacts for sales leads during the interview.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Accepted different position

Communications Manager Interview

Communications Manager

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview Details When interviewing for a Communications position at Northwestern Mutual I experienced a VERY long interview process. This process was long in nearly every definition of the word. The process from start of finish took approximately 4 months. Interview steps: Phone screen with HR, Phone screen with Hiring Manager, In person interview (all day long, talked to 11 people), finalist round - in person interview over lunch.

No writing tests, but had my portfolio on hand.

Interview Question – There was nothing too unexpected during these interviews.   Answer Question

Interviewed at Northwestern Mutual

Interview Details I applied for an internship, had a phone interview then led up to a face to face interview in a small room. basic interview questions. what are you strength and weakness, why you, what are you highest achievements. then after asking the questions they would ask you if you know what you are in for and if you would be able to commit for the job. also asks for a submission of your class schedule too

Interview Question – will you be able to fill out a list of 100 contacts and submit it by next week for review?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – you make what you put in. commission based and weekly stipends from development meetings

College Financial Representative Interview

College Financial Representative

I applied online - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in November 2013.

Interview Details 3 interviews at 2 different office locations including 1 group interview. Went over personality characteristics, the demands of the job, and compensation. Everyone involved was easy to talk to and deal with. My one complaint was that they were slow to reveal the full duties the job entails. I applied online in November and was officially contracted in May.

Interview Question – They asked me as a homework assignment to get a list of 40 referrals in 10 days.   Answer Question

Interviewed at Northwestern Mutual

Interview Details Phone interview with an HR rep in their home office. Questions are really easy but the assessment is truly complicated. It took hours to finish all the question.

Interview Question – All questions are regular questions.   Answer Question

San Francisco, CA (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in May 2014.

Interview Details Met a recruiter through a college career fair, and scheduled an initial interview with that recruiter. Initially thought I was interviewing for the Fin Rep position, and it may have been intentionally unclear, but I was actually interviewing for the Graduate Program. Basic questions were asked to assess a good "fit"in first interview, then I was contacted for a second "in-depth" interview and instructed to do a brief presentation. My interviewer did not show up, so I was interviewed by someone else. Following the in-depth interview I was given a quota of 10 market surveys and 15 referrals to complete before my final interview. The employees were generally quite friendly, and the corporate culture is relaxed and fun.

Interview Questions

• How would your participation in our program benefit our team and Network Office?   View Answer
  • What was the most rewarding/challenging role in your previous work experience, and why?   Answer Question
  • What was your biggest take away from the market survey experience?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Small stipend that would barely cover transportation costs during internship, and no base salary even after going full-time. It was not the ideal market for my career goals.

Financial Representative

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in July 2014.

Interview Details I got referred to the company from a different financial representative, and had a initial interview. Four more follow it. Got a second interview. We will see where it goes from here.

Interview Question – What is your biggest weakness?   View Answer

Interviewed at Northwestern Mutual

Interview Details Friendly interview. Commission based. Kept on about company average is 82,000 a year for their financial reps. Curious what percentage quit before calculating that number. Lot of work before a paycheck arrives. Neutral attitude regarding company. Didn't move forward with position. Culture seemed enjoyable with plenty of support surrounding the office and the advisors. I was looking for more.

Interview Question – She wasn't trying to acquire weaknesses. More of a behavioral interview gauging your interpersonal skills.   Answer Question

Worked for Northwestern Mutual? Contribute to the Community!