Northwestern Mutual

Updated 19 Nov 2014
Updated 19 Nov 2014

2.4

Financial Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA (US)

I applied online – interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

3 interviews, all in-person at the location. First was with the campus recruiter, the second with a financial representative, and the third was a powerpoint presentation to 3 people (the first two people you interviewed with and the head director of campus recruitment). The presentation was on why you should be hired

Interview Questions
    • "Describe to me a situation where you encountered rejection. How did you deal with it?"   Answer Question
    None

IT Business Analyst Interview

1st round on-campus interview/phone screen. Asked basic behavioral questions around my experience in college as well as how I felt about the company. Recommend doing research on the company and focus on their ideals and their sustained growth.

2nd Round on-site office visit/interview with manager. Very casual interviewer picked 3-4 questions regarding technical experience and project work.

Got back within 2 weeks.

Interview Questions
    • Asked about specific experience with System Development Life Cycle and wanted to see tangible results, but nothing too out of the box.   Answer Question

Sales Representative Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

The interview process was extensive and took about a month in total. I was contacted by a recruiter on LInkedIn. She called me for a routine phone screening to see if I was a person capable of holding a conversation. Then I was brought in for an interview, with the recruiter. Everything you might expect in an initial interview. Then I was brought back in to meet with the head of the office, who presented me with a project, to see if I had a network of possible customers and if I could get people to trust me and recommend me to other potential leads. This took about 2 weeks to complete. Finally upon getting 100 possible leads, I was brought in to meet with the head of the northeast division in new york city. After discussing the project, it was decided to have a final interview with the original office, which is frankly more of a formality than a true interview, to discuss payment and training process.

Interview Questions
    • Are you willing to utilize your own personal network, friends and family to use as leads in selling life insurance?   View Answer

In the end, pure commission based pay prevented me from taking the job.

Financial Representative Interview

The interview consists of 5 interviews total, an emotional intelligence aptitude exam, as well as a suitability questionnaire. The interview was very much so based on trial and error and how well you can adapt to several scenarios. Meeting with clients face to face, work ethic, and if you have the ability to be self-motivated is most important.

Interview Questions
    • Explain a time you handled a difficult situation with a customer. What was the outcome?   Answer Question

Financial Representative Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

very informal, straight forward questions, nothing tricky or too complicated to answer, their idea is to get a sense of who you are and what you are looking for in efforts to see if you will be a good fit

Financial Representative Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

It was a three-step interview process. Phone prescreen, in-person, and phone once again. It was not too bad. Understand and show how you could benefit the company. The first phone interview basically consisted of getting to know who you are as a person. This would help them see if you are culturally fit for the particular type of business. In-person, I got a closer look at what my day-to-day life would be like as an intern, a project that I would be responsible for completing in about a week, and showed them a presentation. The last phase of the interview process basically laid the foundation of what Northwestern Mutual offers to clients.

College Financial Representative Interview

Phone prescreen, two in person interviews. Overall, not bad- pretty standard behavioral questions. The prescreen was just acknowledging if I was still interested in the internship. First interview with recruiter mainly on why you want the internship and going over resume. Second interview was shorter, mainly behavioral questions- offer given at second interview.

College Financial Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

The interview was in 3 steps. The first two were in the office where they asked simple questions such as tell me about yourself, what are your strengths, and other general interview questions. They also asked questions about your personal goals and future plans. Over all it was a pleasant interview.

Financial Representative Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Very Easy, they contacted me after a friend refereed me to the recruiter during his interview. There was a phone interview that was very general interview question. Then another 1:1 with the college unit director and finally with the managing director. All the interviews were very laid back and easy going.

Financial Representative Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Can only speak to the initial interview.(step one of what appears to be many) Initial interview was a meeting with a company recruiter. More of a sales pitch from their side, seemed very rehearsed but not aggressive at all. If you are familiar with the industry you will be able to figure out quickly what the position is all about. If you are not familiar with the industry I strongly advise that you do your homework and reach out to a seasoned broker who can explain what the job really is. They are trying to sell you here in this step.

Interview Questions
    • Actually there were no questions in this first interview. They did not need/want to see a resume, sales records, revenue records or anything of the usual sort. However, a few days later you will receive an email with an extremely long questionnaire for you to complete. Be prepared, these are extremely personal questions relating to your personal finances, your own investment portfolio, your income requirements, etc. They are trying to figure out if you have a realistic idea of what the job entails and also want to know if you have the right connections to make it a successful business. This is as close to buying into a franchise as you can get.   View Answer

Not in a liquid enough position to pay the monthly expenses and to wait so long for a positive cash flow.