Northwestern Mutual

Updated 24 Sep 2014
Updated 24 Sep 2014

2.4

Financial Representative Interview

Very friendly, and basic interview structure. General questions (biggest weakness, strength, etc) Process took 2 interviews the second one I had to present a PP for a board of recruiters. Fantastic place to work

Financial Representative Interview

Three interviews in total. Your given some homework to complete but its very simple. You are required to submit a background check which is understandable considering its the financial services industry. One phone interview and several one on one interviews with your hiring manager.

Intern Interview

The hiring process seemed a bit mechanical or robotic. They get you in and out as soon as possible. They don't seem to really want to get to know the person, but rather how that person is going to make money for the company. The culture seemed a little bit like a "boys club."

Interview Questions
    • Where do you see your success coming from in 10 years?   Answer Question

Financial Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Mishawaka, IN (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mishawaka, IN (US)

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Was contacted via email by the local recruiting agent. Have gone through two interviews. First interview was just asked a few behavioral questions and then got a chance to ask some questions about the position. After that they sent me an easy 15 minute online assessment (pick the words that describe you best, etc.) and once I submitted that they invited me back for a second interview. This one was more behavioral and personal questions. At the end the interviewer gave me a packet of mini-cases to do and said that if I like these then this job will be a good fit for me and we can discuss getting you the position. If you hate the cases then this will be a very bad fit for you. She was very friendly and made sure to emphasize that I should be honest with myself because this is the type of position where if you try to force yourself into it when you don't fit there you will certainly fail. Overall a very relaxed interview process. You can definitely tell from the way the interviewer talked though that the financial representatives need to be very driven.

Interview Questions
    • What was your parent's parenting style like and how do you think that affected your development and who you are today.   Answer Question

I don't think this position will affect my personality very well. Additionally, I do not think I will be in the area very long and all the work I'd do in my first year or two would then be wasted.

Financial Representative Interview

Applied through college, got an email about an onsite interview in a week. The interviewer referred me to a different position that she thought would be a better fit for me. I agreed to apply to that position. Followed up once but didn't get any response.

Interview Questions
    • How would your peers describe you. I didn't prepare for this question and got a little nervous so I said people would say that I'm nice.   Answer Question

College Financial Representative Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

I first approached a recruiter for Northwestern Mutual at my College's Career Fair. After a quick meeting the next day in starbucks, the recruiter referred me to the head of the college program. I had several rounds of interviews with him, both over the phone and over skype. He asked personality questions, a few questions about my experience, and questions in order to figure out my ability to work as a financial representative. Between the two interviews, he had me do some "homework." I had to ask 10 people what their view of a financial representative is and what kind of experience that they have had in the past with people in the financial world.

Intern Interview

The interview process was a series of three interviews, each becoming increasingly more in depth until I had convinced them I was the right man for the job. They looked at my history, my connections, my parents jobs, among other things. It required a fingerprinting, background check, and the likes.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked how I would go about cold calling someone, which took me by surprise.   Answer Question
    I was given no negotiation, as it was the standard college-student internship position

Associate Financial Representative Interview

Transferred offices; office was helpful and had procedures in place to complete the transfer. Interview process was solid and each office has their own way of choosing who fits best with them. There are multiple interviews before contracting could be offered. Meetings are detailed with information regarding duties and benefits.

Interview Questions
    • Hardest question to answer is "how do you plan to succeed" whether you're a representative or assistant.   Answer Question

Financial Advisor Interview

This is not a Financial Advisor role. There is 0 base salary, and you get commission for selling insurance. I applied and got an interview almost instantly. After 5 minutes into the interview I could tell it was for selling insurance.

Intern Interview

I was given a two stage interview. The first was largely behavioral and I was sent home with a "homework" assignment to find 100 potential clients. I did not feel comfortable asking my parent's friends for contact information to be cold called for policies so and declined the second interview.

Interview Questions
    • All very straight forward questions. i.e. Where do you see yourself in 5 years?   Answer Question

Worked for Northwestern Mutual? Contribute to the Community!