Paychex Interview Questions

Updated 4 Sep 2014
Updated 4 Sep 2014

3.1

Retirement Sales Specialist Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Paychex.

I was emailed by a recruiter who had seen my resume on CareerBuilder. After speaking with her on the phone, she sent me a link to do an online assessment that took about 90 minutes. She then moved me along to a phone screening with a zone manager. He was about 10 minutes late in contacting me, but emailed me and said the recruiter had not provided him with my phone number. I emailed it to him and he called me. After speaking with him on the phone for about 30 minutes, he said he would like to get me set up with a district manager in my area for a face to face interview. He would have him contact me that day to set it up.

I didn't hear anything that day or the next 2 business days. I emailed the zone manager and received an out of office auto-reply. On the day he was back in the office he emailed me, apologizing the district manager had not been in touch, and said he would have him contact me ASAP. The following business day I was emailed by the zone manager's secretary to set up an interview with the zone manager (never did talk to elusive district manager).

Met the zone manager and spoke for approx 1 hour. The interview was laid back and went well. He asked a lot about my previous job. No situational questions or digging deep about my sales process or thinking skills. It was more getting to know me and what I had been doing for work. He arranged for me to do a ride along with a rep, who contacted me to set up the date/time, so I could see the job in action and make sure it was what I thought it was. I arrived and the rep had very little scheduled for the afternoon as most of his calls had cancelled, but we went on one call, and chatted about the job quite a bit, and I was even more excited about the job than previously. I asked him about the hiring process, and he said congrats for making it that far, that there would be one more interview then I would get a yay or nay.

I emailed the zone manager after the ride along... no reply. 3 days later I left him a message on his office phone. No reply. I checked the status of my application online and it said it was being reviewed. 2 business days later I emailed the recruiter who said he was in meetings the whole day, but she would be connecting with him the following day and would get back to me with feedback. I didn't hear anything the following day. Next day I checked the online status and it said a more qualified candidate was selected.

In a week and a half, no one could send me a generic "thanks for your interest, sorry we don't need ya" email? And why have me come out and ride around with someone if I wouldn't be interviewed again afterward? Seems like a lot of this was a waste of my time and effort, and the communication within the company regarding the hiring process is disjointed.

Client Service Representative Interview

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Paychex.

First, there was a phone interview. Second, there was an assessment. Third, there was a face to face interview. There was another assessment. Last, there was the interview with the manager. The whole process took about 2 weeks to complete.

Interview Questions
    • Discuss a time when you had to make a decision without consulting management.   Answer Question

Payroll Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Paychex.

The hiring process consisted of a phone interview followed by two additional interviews. Once of the interviews allowed you to sit with a payroll specialist and basically see what it's like to work at Paychex. If you were successful in the all of those interviews you are asked to come in for a final interview with the branch manager.

Interview Questions
    • To name a time you were faced with an ethical issue that involved a co-worker, what was it and what did you do?   Answer Question
    There is no negotiation in pay. They have a set rate for pay and don't budge even based on experience. They tell you that you will end up making $18/hour after you complete payroll school. This is not true, while you will get close to it (off by $0.50) you won't make $18/hr after completing all of their tests to become a senior specialist.

Client Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Ramon, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Ramon, CA (US)

I applied online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Paychex.

The phone interview was a solid 20-30 minutes. I was asked a good 20 questions. Be prepared with stories from past experiences and be very specific. They are huge on specifics. The face to face panel interview was a full hour with God knows how many questions. Insane!!!! I have never been to a more ridiculous interview in my life for an entry level position.

Interview Questions
    • What challenge would you face in the next position after the one you are applying to?   View Answer

Payroll Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Milwaukee, WI (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milwaukee, WI (US)

I applied online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Paychex.

Over complicated. Tend to look for applicants when they truly don't have a position available. You will speak to a recruiter, then you take a math test online, then you have to come to the local branch for at least two interviews.

Interview Questions
    • Ask how you handle stress. When they say that the job is stressful, they are not joking.   Answer Question
    I was given an hourly rate and there are no negotiations in regards to it.

Administrative Assistant I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Houston, TX (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX (US)

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Paychex in August 2014.

Do your homework about the company. You will be asked questions about what the company offers clients and possibly company history. It would also be good to be able to talk a little bit about your past experience for what they offer.

Territory Ready Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Kent, WA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kent, WA (US)

My interview was set up by someone else the day before, with the District Sales Manager and they scheduled with him directly. I show up 15 minutes early, wait 15 minutes to learn he is in Bellevue and wont be able to make it. The kind receptionist apologized on his behalf and set up a phone interview where he would call me shortly instead. Having driven over an hour in traffic to learn this, I was not happy. But i needed a job and the company sounded like it had a good service/product with great potential, plus i was curious what the reason would be that he stood me up. He said the interview was not put on his schedule (it was scheduled with him directly one day prior). The interview was on his speaker phone and I could hardly understand him, he sounded irritated the few times I asked him to repeat himself. Also he seemed very distracted doing something else. It started with talking about high school, "soo what was high school like for you?", "were you captain of the ---- team?". Nearly all of his question would in no way determine if I could be a successful employee; "how did you pay for college?", "so you didn't work during school.... just in the summers?", "what was your high school gpa?", "what was your college gpa?". His responses and questions seemed very back handed and in a condescending tone, he didn't want to talk with me from start to finish. I never even got the chance, nor did he ask, to talk about my other much more relevant sales job experiences and ambitions. He asked about my high school job, and I got him talking about the company and the position a little bit. I was disgusted and angry with the process.

Holds Specialist Interview

The hiring process was very quick and easy. I was hired the day after the inrlterview process. However, the questions asked in the interview process were tougher. I really didn't know how to answer some if the crazy questions they asked me. I was at a loss for words. But I stayed composed and gave my best answers.

Interview Questions
    • Do you know why a storm drain is circular and not square   View Answer

Sales Representative Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Paychex.

After being contacted by a recruiter, I did a phone interview with her, then some online tests. One was the basic personality test, the other was more in-depth about time management. Then we did a phone interview with the hiring manager and a drug test. Next I did a ride-along with a current sales rep and we did one final interview with the hiring manager and her manager. The hiring decision was made a few days later.

Interview Questions
    • What is the hardest business decision you've ever made?   Answer Question
    No negotiation to base salary, but there were additional stipends for gas and other expenses.

Payroll Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Hauppauge, NY (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hauppauge, NY (US)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Paychex.

I applied online on Indeed.com. I heard back from Paychex and said they were very interested in me and would like to move me onto my second part of the application. Which was the assessment test. I completed it on June 3, 2014. Does anyone know or have experienced this, and how long did it take for the company to reach back out to you? Thank you

Interview Questions
    • Does anyone have any info on this? Or is anyone experiencing or have experienced this?   View Answer

Worked for Paychex? Contribute to the Community!