Peace Corps Interview Questions

Updated 8 Apr 2015

2.8

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 12+ monthsinterviewed at Peace Corps (Seattle, WA (US)).

Interview

It is a complicated application with many essays followed by an in person interview and finally you need to pass medical test which can be difficult.

Interview Questions

• Do you have experience living or working with different cultures? Please describe. How do you handle conflict. Describe a time.   Answer Question

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Peace Corps (Madison, WI (US)) in March 2014.

Interview

The application was extensive but could be completed fairly easily online, then was contacted by a recruiter for a 15 min phone conversation. Then there was the interview which lasted 1.5 hours. It was very friendly and was more like a conversation. Be sure to prepare for the in-person interview by googling "peace corps" interview.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had trouble following a rule.   Answer Question

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 12+ monthsinterviewed at Peace Corps (Tampa, FL (US)).

Interview

After researching to see if the Peace Corps is right for you, you can go on their website to find out where the closest recruiting officer is. You can schedule to make an appointment. When I met with mine she talked to me about the various types of positions volunteers can have and what types of projects they work on. I filled out the application and waited to hear back from DC. After I was given the green light, I completed a background check to show that I wasn't in any financial or legal trouble and also a medical exam to show I was healthy enough to go live in the woods for 2 years. Once this was all completed and turned in to DC I waited to hear if I was accepted. From start to end the process took 16 months.

Interview Questions

• The hardest part is the medical examination because many small problems in the states can disqualify you since many locations lack access to good medical facilities.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There's no negotiation, but you're not joining the Peace Corps for the money

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Peace Corps.

Interview

The point of the interview process is to make sure that you are going to be able to excel for 2 years of service. This means if you can be a self starter, be away from friends and family and find happiness, and if you can be culturally sensitive and accepting. Don't try and work the system, because all the people that leave service are because of these reasons, be honest with the situation, and if you are a good fit, congrats! If not, there are plenty other service opportunities that aren't as intense a commitment, not everyone is meant to be a Peace Corps volunteer, and the investment is in training, so they are trying to find those that have that special something before the investment.

Interview Questions

• Tell about a challenging situation and what you did to overcome it.   Answer Question

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 11+ monthsinterviewed at Peace Corps.

Interview

First, you must fill out a rather lengthy application. Once that is approved, you must have a background check, and then a medical check. The medical check is meant to ensure that you are healthy enough to serve for 27 months in a rural area with limited access to medical care. You will have an in-person interview, during which the interviewer must read questions from a script and he/she must write your answers down verbatim (this can be a bit awkward as they scribble away). Later, you will have a phone interview or two. Finally, you will receive your invitation to serve along with information about your program (English education, health education, small business development, etc) and your country of service. The whole process usually takes about a year.

Interview Questions

• Can you handle sexual harassment?   1 Answer

OMS Interview

Interview

Very thorough. Background check required

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Peace Corps.

Interview

You fill out the application online and then you do an in-person interview at one the Peace Corps regional offices. If all your medical paperwork clears, you'll be offered a position.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time you were placed in a new environment- what did you do?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

Interview

Some people are interviewed over the phone I was interviewed in person. Peace corps has a long application but it has changed since I did it. The interview process is simple, they ask questions to see if you are the type of person that would last in a demanding and foreign environment.

Interview Questions

• How would you deal with people who discriminated against you?   Answer Question

Negotiation

There really isn't one, you signed up to basically work for free. Hope you like it!

Regional Recruiter Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Peace Corps.

Interview

Situational interview.

Interview Questions

• How would you respond to someone who asks if Peace Corps is dangerous?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Federal salaries are nonn-negotiable unless you've previously held a federal position at a higher pay rate.

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 12+ monthsinterviewed at Peace Corps.

Interview

I applied online, received a packet of info to fill out. Completed this over a long time frame (medical evaluations). Called in for interview and told I was in before it was over