Peace Corps

Getting the Interview

4 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Washington, DC (US)

I applied online and the process took 12 months - interviewed at Peace Corps in February 2011.

Interview Details After completing an online application form, complete with essays and letters of recommendation, successful applicants will be contacted by a recruiter who will schedule an in-person interview. Should the recruiter approve the applicant, they will be nominated for a global region and sector. While awaiting an invitation to join a specific country and program as pertains to their nomination, the nominee must complete extensive medical examinations (for which they will be nominally reimbursed). Upon receiving an invitation, the nominee will have 10 days in which to decide whether or not they will accept.

Interview Question – Describe a challenge you have faced in your work life and the strategies you employed while striving to overcome it.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Volunteer

I interviewed at Peace Corps in May 2009.

Interview Details The interview was quite simple. I was asked questions about my past experience abroad, how I felt in cross-cultural settings, what program area I felt my skills were most suited to, and what challenges I anticipated as a volunteer. I got the feeling that it was unlikely I would say anything that would negatively affect my application. The recruiter was pleasant and the process was smooth. I went on to serve happily and successfully as a volunteer for three years.

However, I've since learned that the organization accepts pretty much everyone who can clear the lengthy medical screening process. The applicant/volunteer's actual ability to serve only becomes truly apparent once he or she is out in the field, and this ability is hard to accurately assess in a brief interview in the States.

Interview Question – How would you feel about changing your manner of dress or self-presentation to better fit in with a local population? (I am a female, and at the time of my interview I had VERY short hair.)   View Answer

Interviewed at Peace Corps

Interview Details Very long interview process. Phone interview, in person interview. Medical and dental evaluations and more phone interviews with headquarters. Application process took me two years from start to finish (placement notification).

Interview Question – Would you be willing to change your physical appearance?   Answer Question

Saint Louis, MO (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Peace Corps in May 2008.

Interview Details Peace Corps has a structured recruitment and interview process, information on which can be accessed through their website. It's important to be very honest with yourself and the interviewer about your background, future goals, perceptions of personal strengths and limitations, because they will ultimately impact your location of service.

Interview Question – What personal relationships do you consider the most important to you right now, and how do you plan on maintaining them over long distances and periods of separation while you are serving as a volunteer?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Peace Corps

Worked for Peace Corps? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Peace Corps Volunteer interview questions and advice. All 4 interview reviews posted anonymously by Peace Corps employees and interview candidates.