PetSmart Cashier Interview Questions

Updated 21 Apr 2015

2.0

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Scarborough, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at PetSmart (Scarborough, ON (Canada)) in April 2015.

Interview

The whole process took about two weeks (give or take a few days), I applied on a Monday, they called me next Monday(ish) to set up an interview for the next day at 3 pm. I went in, and the main things they asked me were what times I was available, what kind of animals I had, if I had experience with reptiles and birds, what my favorite part of customer service is, and generally pretty simple stuff. (I feel like my interview went really well, I had two managers interview me, one had the same name as me, and the other went to the same high school, and has a dog with the same name as mine!) After that they said they'd give me a call in a few days to let me know if I had a second interview. They called me back on the Thursday, so I only waited one day before I knew I was getting another interview with another manager. I went in the next day for the second interview, and again, pretty easy stuff. Mostly simple situation questions, like "If you saw someone by the leashes who looked completely lost, what would you do?", and "what was a big lesson you learned recently?" (I'm paraphrasing, but yeah.) Overall, the second interview went well, I feel like I made a few little mistakes because I was super excited, but obviously it went well because I was called on the Monday and offered the position! (They told me they would call me by Wednesday, so that was nice!

Interview Questions

• What brand of food do you feed your dog? If a couple came in with a new puppy, how would you convince them to buy that brand?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for PetSmart

Cashier Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at PetSmart.

Interview

The process was fairly quick. Applied online and had a call back for the first interview phase with 4 days. Met with manager and also pet care manager, passed that interview and met with assistant manager the next day. Passed that and did the drug test, after that was completed I was offered the job.

Interview Questions

• How did you handle a stressful situation/irate customer?   1 Answer

Negotiation

There really wasn't one. The pay grades are fairly set across the board.

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Employee in Alhambra, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at PetSmart (Alhambra, CA (US)) in March 2015.

Interview

They called me about three days after I applied and asked me to come in a few days later to be interviewed. When I arrived there were seven other candidates waiting, and one interviewer joined us shortly after. It was a fairly easygoing interview - quite conversational (interviewer was very friendly). Each of us were asked four or five questions. The whole thing took 45 minutes maximum. I was happy for the opportunity for interview practice, but, as another reviewer mentioned, it was clear that they were looking for someone with considerable retail experience, and that wasn't in my background.

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bel Air, MD (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at PetSmart (Bel Air, MD (US)) in March 2015.

Interview

Took about 20 minutes. In and out. Easy questions, with a very personable manager. Great interview experience. Didn't descriminate at all about my job gap or lack of license. Process pushed me right through. I was answered honestly and in full. I was accepted for a second interview, which was just turned into a drug test, the whole process took only a few weeks. I was quickly responded to.

Interview Questions

• How did you handle difficult customers in the past?   Answer Question
    • Are you okay working with all kinds of animals?   Answer Question
    • Have you ever disagreed with any managers? If so how did you resolve your disagreement?   Answer Question

Cashier Interview

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at PetSmart.

Interview

Pretty easy, just asked basic questions like how many hours you can work a week. What type of behavior you have. Asked what type of pay I would like and asked what type of educational background I had.

Cashier Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at PetSmart.

Interview

The manager I was interviewed by was very friendly and down to earth. We just talked and he asked me the basic questions that are required. It went very well.

Cashier Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at PetSmart in November 2014.

Interview

I applied online on 11/1 for a new store that was opening up. A few hrs later I got an email saying I passed the prescreening assessment. Then on 11/6 I got a call to set up an interview for 11/13. It was a fairly easy interview and took place in the dog training area. There was no "Describe a time when..." questions, but it was focused heavily on customer service. The whole interview took about 25min. On 11/18 I got the call asking if I was still interested, I have to complete the drug test within 24hr of the call and my starting pay is $8.50.

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Woodinville, WA (US)

Application

interviewed at PetSmart (Woodinville, WA (US)) in October 2014.

Interview

Very pleasant and simple interview. Asked some questions about schooling, available hours, and some answers from the application. There were a few questions along the lines of "Describe a time..." involving difficult decisions, a time you didn't have an answer, and others. This was my first job interview, and I was offered the position on the spot. My manager said that her other managers trust her, so I must have made a good first impression. I just went in, explained why I wanted to work with animals and it went well. Just did the drug testing a few days ago and should head in for training soon.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you didn't have the answer to a question. Describe a time you had a new experience with a customer.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Starting me off a little over minimum wage, paying $9.50 (minimum wage in WA is $9.32) and was told I will receive increases with time. This is my first job so it works for me.

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Roanoke, VA (US)

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at PetSmart (Roanoke, VA (US)).

Interview

I called in to the PM at which I wanted a job and asked to speak to the MOD (MANAGER ON DUTY). When he answered, I asked if they had any position openings and if so which ones. I found out they had an opening for the Cashier position, and so I asked if there was a time that I could come and apply. Nowadays, I would bring a Resume, but at the time I was in High School and I didn't think to do that. So I went in (looking professional) and asked the cashier (being friendly and polite) if she could point me in the direction of the MOD. She paged him up and we chatted for a bit about my knowledge, interests, schedule, etc. I will say that even now, years later, that Manager was a spectacular guy. He made me feel at ease and yet was very professional. After our talk, he asked me to fill out an application, but due to my experience with animal training, he also recommended that I apply for another position as well.

Have a few contacts prepared as references, they will call them. Ask the contacts if they are willing to be your reference BEFORE going into the interview or writing them down. (As a reference for some people, I feel less flustered if I know the call is coming, and I can already have things in mind to say about the person.)

Interview Questions

• How long do you think you will be wanting to work for us? (Is this a summer job or a long term deal?)   2 Answers

Cashier Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at PetSmart.

Interview

I applied online, got a call a couple days later to set a time for an interview that we set after the weekend. I went in and was surprised that they asked pretty difficult questions that I wasn't prepared for, nor did I have the experience to give a proper answer (it would've been my first job). They had me answer questions one on one with two people, they switched places after the first finished. The reason I say the interview is average is because I wasn't prepared, but I could see it being an easy interview if you were prepared.

Interview Questions

• It was a lot of 'describe a time you did this' type questions.   Answer Question