Purdue University

60 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Graduate Teaching Assistant Interview

West Lafayette, IN (US)

I applied in-person and interviewed at Purdue University.

Interview Details I had no interview.. just an informal meeting with my advisor... was asked my interests and area of expertise.

Interview Question – I had no interview.. just an informal meeting with my advisor... was asked my interests and area of expertise.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Graduate Student Interview

Interviewed at Purdue University

Interview Details Just an online application, no interview. Same application as all of the other schools. They inform the people who get accepted first around mid-February, and then it seems that they start to accept others until April 15 as they get some people declining their offers. This is pretty standard for most graduate programs.

Interview Question – Probably the personal statement...   Answer Question

Research Assistance Interview

Interviewed at Purdue University

Interview Details phone called, and then asked for interest for PhD. Decide to go with PhD and get funding for RAship and TAship all those goof stuffs. Interview is not hard, checked what my interest was and asked if want to work together.

Interview Question – Be detail about what I want to work on.   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

Interviewed at Purdue University

Interview Details My advisor and I were firstly communicating by emails. He asked me a few questions about my background. Later, he offered me an face to face interview and we had a breakfast together. He offered me the position.

Interview Question – The most unexpected question is that "do you have a girlfriend or wife"   Answer Question

Student Caller At Rallyline Interview

West Lafayette, IN (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Purdue University in May 2010.

Interview Details IMPORTANT: This process has very likely changed since I was hired.

Submitted resume via email to the job. Heard back within a day or two to schedule a phone interview. Phone interview asked questions such as: Why did you choose Purdue? What are your interests? How would you convince someone who knew nothing about Purdue to come to this school?
Immediately after answering the interview questions, I was offered to come in for a face-to-face interview. At this interview, similar questions were asked. I had to spontaneously convince the interviewer why she should buy my watch. If I recall correctly, the same person did both interviews and hired me. She was also a student worker.
After being hired, there is about a week or two of paid training, and then you start for real on a "probationary" period for about another 2 weeks.

Interview Question – "That's a nice watch you've got on your arm. Convince me to buy it."   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation for a student worker position.

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Graduate Research Assistant

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Purdue University.

Interview Details I interviewed with 8 different Professors. We mostly discussed their research plans, and very little information was forthcoming from most Professors on the role they expected of me.

Negotiation Details – Not much scope to negotiate. I was sent a letter after the interview process by the graduate office, stating the details of my employment - I was offered a TA position for the first 2 semesters, contingent on joining a certain Professor. I was told that once I clear my area exams, my stipend would go up by $100 per month from the following semester.

Program Manager Afghanistan - International Programs In Agriculture Interview

West Lafayette, IN (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Purdue University in August 2011.

Interview Details The interview process was very long. The first interview was over the phone with the 2 department heads. Then I went in for an in person interview that extended to talking with everyone that worked in the department. It lasted for 5 hours. It was a very friendly staff, but seriously overworked. I did get all of my questions answered about the position and the risks involved. The head of the department would not talk compensation until after they had talked to 3 of my work references. I have only worked at 1 company for 9 years and could not use them so coming up with 3 references that they were happy with was very difficult. After it was all done, the salary was not enough any way and I was glad that I did not jeopardize my current position to give them a reference there. They were extremely pushy about that and not willing to work around it. For the risks and work load involved, the salary was not enough.

Interview Question – What is your current salary?   View Answer

Lab Assistant Interview

Lab Assistant
West Lafayette, IN (US)

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Purdue University in July 2013.

Interview Details Apply online, receive a call, schedule an interview, come in and have an interview. Receive another call about a week later to get hired. My interview process was very easy, because I had worked as a temp employee in the same lab for 6 months prior to getting hired full time.

Interview Question – Calculations   Answer Question

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Graduate Research Assistant

Interviewed at Purdue University

Interview Details Found my adviser through the department and I contacted him prior to a graduate student visitation. Met with my adviser for an initial interview about my research interests and was offered a position in his group.

Interview Question – Why I wanted to work in my research area.   Answer Question

Half-time Research Assistant Interview

Interviewed at Purdue University

Interview Details Emails exchanged.

Interview Question – Not very difficult questions were asked.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Purdue University

Worked for Purdue University? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Purdue University interview questions and advice. All 60 interview reviews are posted anonymously by Purdue University employees and interview candidates.