Raytheon Interview Questions

Updated Sep 14, 2014
Updated Sep 14, 2014

2.6

Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Norman, OK (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norman, OK (US)

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Raytheon in September 2014.

Overall I had a positive experience. My interview was shy of an hour long and the guy that interviewed me was very laid back. Besides the generic "why do you want the position?" questions he also asked me a lot of questions about things I had done in class and any outside projects that I had been working on.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you and someone else thought something should be done differently and how did you come to an agreement.   Answer Question

Systems Engineer I Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Raytheon.

*Note: I was told ahead of time they were looking to hire very quickly and it would be an expedited process. I don't know how normal this is for other positions.

Applied online and got a call from a recruiter 2 days later. The Recruiter gauged my interest in the job and when I said I was interested, I was told my information would be passed on to the hiring manager.

I got a call from the manager about 45 minutes later and had about a half hour interview.

The next week I was contacted again by both the manager and HR to request an onsite Interview. The onsite interview took place 3 days later. I was contacted within 1 business day with an offer

Interview Questions
    I was happy with the offer and did not attempt to negotiate

Electrical Engineer I Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Raytheon in April 2013.

Submitted resume and cover letter through their Rayjobs portal for an internship position in the electrical design directorate. Was contacted approximately 2 months after the submission and scheduled for a phone interview. The phone interview was very informal and actually didn't involve many questions directed at me or my past experience; instead it was mostly a briefing about the corporation and what my interviewer was working on.

Not able to negotiate the offer. Was given a week to accept or decline the offer.

Systems Engineer II Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Raytheon.

Applied for the position online. Received a call about a month later for a phone interview. Contacted by HR to schedule a second on site interview. Flew out to job site for in-person interview. Accommodated flight, hotel, rental, and meals. Interview process included several rounds of interview followed by lunch. Follow up call from HR representative a few days after interview.

Interview Questions
    • Unexpected questions about company and products. Something I should have known and researched.   Answer Question

Senior Industrial Security Specialist Interview

Interview process was smooth and easy. The company recruiter made the first contact, then I was contacted by the hiring manager to set up the appointment. Between those contacts, I was asked to fill out a more detailed job application. Most information was pre-loaded, so it was simply a matter of answering and agreeing to more detailed information.

Interview Questions
    • Standard questions: Tell me about yourself. Tell me about your strengths/weaknesses. Where do you expect to be in five years?   Answer Question

User Experience/UI Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Burlington, MA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burlington, MA (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Raytheon in July 2014.

Recruiter arranges phone interview with a member of the UX/UI team. This was for a contract position with the digital media group. Team member was very personable and I enjoyed speaking with him. Asked for links to web sites I had built and online portfolio. Wanted to know what I used to build sites. They use Notepad++.

Systems Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Raytheon in May 2014.

From Day 0 to Day n the process was outstanding. Everyone that I dealt with was extremely professional, yet confidently relaxed. I went through two phone interviews and one face-to-face interview. All were very thorough with a strong focus on the submitted resume. Additionally, the technical questions were solid yet not overwhelming.

Interview Questions
    • If confronted with a problem that you do not know how to solve, how would you go about doing it?   Answer Question

Timing. A contract award process was taking forever and I was offered a job at another company that was closer to what I wanted to do at about the same salary.

Principal Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  El Segundo, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in El Segundo, CA (US)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Raytheon.

I already had several job offers but accepted Raytheon SAS invitation for a job interview in El Segundo although I would never live in LA. They paid for air flight, and put me in a hotel in the airport area on the tenth floor, so I could admire LA smog and all year around brown clouds. I wanted to see a friend in LA; I never intended to accept potential Raytheon offer. I had 4 interviews, each about 40 minutes long. I worked for Raytheon about 10 years ago, and nothing changed. If company does not ask you any technical questions (like Raytheon), you will likely end up working with a lot of incompetent coworkers that use friendship and politics to accelerate their careers. That is exactly true about Raytheon anywhere. At Raytheon you get awarded for you inter-people skills far more than for your real contributions. Raytheon will lay people off in a heart beat. They cannot care less about their employees. Nobody asked me what I want to work on, which projects I find interesting, what would make me like my job. They claimed lots of their older employees retired, so they are now hiring aggressively. That was a lie. Raytheon's older employees accumulated lots of money in pension funds(not 401K, this is old fashion pension). During the last 5 years, these employees were offered early retirement packages, and if they did not accept them, they were laid off. Each person told me the same lie how employees just retired and would make you believe they were too old, and it was disgusting to listen to my interviewers.

Interview Questions
    • We just talked about my resume. They asked me to give an example of which features to use in order to detect tanks in SAR images. They just want to know if you had some pre knowledge. 99% of time it was just chatting. I was asked about experience on my resume, my hobbies, why I want to move from the east coast to the west, etc.   Answer Question

Senior Systems Engineer I Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Raytheon in March 2010.

Contacted by talent acquisition rep who saw my resume online and thought I would be a fit. Scheduled an interview at the Tewksbury, MA location and arranged for travel, lodging, and rental car for the day the interviews would happen. The interviews were 20 minutes each with 3 people. Others were at the interview event and we all sat in the same waiting room. Received an offer 3 days later, but was fairly sure I got the job when they kept me, but not all other interviewees afterward for a presentation on benefits and relocation package.

Interview Questions
    • How would you convince very senior engineers (25+ years of experience) that your idea is correct?   Answer Question
    I did not realize I could negotiate, so accepted the offer as is. However, others who were hired in the same round tried to negotiate, and did not get an increase.

Senior Systems Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Dallas, TX (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Raytheon in May 2014.

Was screened during a college career fair. Contacted for interview 1 month later. Interview scheduled about a month later. Interviewed in May 2014.

The interviewer was late, and did not remember my name. I was then taken to a conference room, where I was screened by one of their newer employees. Totally unprofessional in their demeanor - asking me questions that an undergraduate would know even though I had a PhD. Still, I answered them fine. Several more 1 on 1 interviews, then taken to cafeteria to eat lunch with team. i was made to wait nearly 30 minutes in line while the hiring manager got fish tacos. Upon sitting down, it turned into somewhat of an attack session by several of the other engineers.

After that, I was literally whisked away by two engineers, and not given the opportunity to thank the hiring manager for the interview, even though I asked to do so.

Interview Questions

Worked for Raytheon? Contribute to the Community!