RetailMeNot

RetailMeNot Interview Questions

Updated 4 Dec 2014
Updated 4 Dec 2014

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at RetailMeNot.

contacted after submitting resume at university career fair - during the phone interview, once I got stuck on one of the problems, the interviewer seemed very uninterested and unwilling to help, unresponsive to my questions. The recruiter got back to me very quickly to tell me they wouldn't be moving forward.

Interview Questions
    • given an array of strings, return the first one which appears only once in the array   View Answer

Intern Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at RetailMeNot.

Met with them at a career fair, interviewed at their downtown Austin office.

Went in an had a few warm-up questions, followed by a lengthy coding interview revolving around one problem. Office was nice and people were friendly. Parking was hard to find downtown and I ended up having to pay for it because I didn't use their validated parking lot.

Didn't get the job, probably because I got hung up quite a few times during the coding interview.

Interview Questions
    • Given a one-directional list of movie titles in order of how long ago you watched them (there may be duplicates), find the least-recently watched singleton movie title.   View Answer

Software Engineering Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at RetailMeNot.

I had an hour long on-campus interview the day after the career fair that they called and invited me to the morning of. It was a technical interview and they only asked one question, but every time I got it a new twist was added to the problem to make me change or expand my answer. Coding was done on paper, not pseudo code.

Interview Questions
    • You have a list of tv episodes in the order they were aired (most recent last in the list). Develop an algorithm to determine which episode should be aired next, based on which episode was aired the least recently.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I had an over the phone interview. Got invited to interview after meeting a recruiter at career fair. Was asked some questions about myself and then given a coding problem to do through an online site. Not a very hard question. Follow up question about how to improve my solution using a different data structure. Interviewer was nice, answered all my questions.

Account Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX (US)

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at RetailMeNot.

Only got as far as a screening call from the HR person. She was fairly abrupt and not super friendly. They were looking for someone with very specific management experience (having managed a team of 8+) and she ended the interview immediately once realizing I didn't hit the 8 number. I appreciate being clear on the need for the role, but I also think from a relationship standpoint, and for future hiring, they'd want to learn about their candidates and maintain a positive experience.

Interview Questions
    • There weren't really any difficult questions at this phase of the process.   Answer Question

Quality Engineer I Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at RetailMeNot.

First I had a phone screening and was asked questions about how web works. HTTP commands, DOM, SQL and other basic tech questions. Was also asked some basic behavior questions and questions relating to my resume. After the phone screening I was asked to come in and do an on site interview.

Interview schedule was sent to me and had a series of 1 on 1 interviews. Was asked similar questions which were basically trying to gauge my general testing strategy. Each member of the team had a different question for me that related to testing. "How would you test X?" They looked for my priorities and general strategy. Some questioned why I prioritized certain aspects of the object/app and I was expected to explain it.

Interview Questions
    • Case Question: How would you test a vending machine?   View Answer

Client Services Department Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX (US)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at RetailMeNot.

The interviews themselves were not too challenging. The communication from the hiring managers, however, was very terrible. There was an extreme lack of communication early on and throughout the process. Hiring Managers (or whatever the job title) should be very responsible regarding feedback and next steps. At RetailMeNot though, they don't seem to be doing there job very well. I ultimately gave up on the interviewing process because of the extreme lack of professionalism and wouldn't recommend this place to anyone in my network.

Intern Interview

It was a phone interview after I met an engineer at a fair on campus. The question had to do with sorting through a array of deals to determine the most commonly used words.

Partner Manager Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX (US)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at RetailMeNot.

1) Initial phone screening with a recruiter
    2) Additional phone screening with a director
    3) On-site interview consisted of 4 interviews and a data test
    4) 2 follow-up phone interviews

Very nice and respectful interviewers with a lot of knowledge. A large component of the process was to determine cultural fit. The on-site interview included a tour and overview of benefits.

Interview Questions
    • Asked a lot of questions to gauge my comfort level with raw data.   Answer Question

Merchandiser Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at RetailMeNot in April 2014.

The company contacted me via linked in and i responded. I got a call with an HR rep within the week, who then set up 2 calls with a manager and director. Both calls were pleasant. They wanted to get to know me but also asked questions relevant to the position. After the calls i was sent 2 assessments/case studies to complete. I emailed those to them and within a few days they reached out to me about going to the office for an in person interview. I'm from out of state so they flew me out the week after and got me a hotel, all compensated, as well reimbursement for food and taxis. The office was amazing, walked to the receptionist/barista and waited to interview with 4 separate people (4+ hours total), including each member i would work with, a director and a VP. All interviews went well, no real difficult questions. They were all related to the position. After i flew back i got a call the next day and accepted.

Interview Questions
    • If you only had $200 to spend a few days before x-mas and you haven't gotten any gifts for your loved ones. What do you do?   Answer Question
    They offered more than i currently make, so there was no opportunity to negotiate. I even asked, but they reiterated that the benefits were 2nd to none, which is completely true. They even helped with relocation and were flexible with start dates