Royal Bank of Scotland Interview Questions

Updated Aug 30, 2014
Updated Aug 30, 2014

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 8 weeks - interviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland in February 2012.

I work on the graduate scheme. Fairly standard recruitment process. Apply online with CV and 3 detailed questions answered. If successful followed by online assessments and first round interview. Final round is an assessment centre involving interviews, group discussion and a presentation. There is a lot of focus on RBS values and people standards so make sure to read it up

Interview Questions
    • Quite detailed competency questions and presentation with only 15 mins to preparre   Answer Question
    Fixed graduate salary - no negotiation

Corporate Banking Graduate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online - interviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland in December 2013.

Finish the application form; finish the online test (situational judgement, numerical and logic); attend the 1st round interview; attend the Assessment center (group discussion, presentation, individual interview and mentoring session); offer if succeed

Interview Questions
    • situational judgement interview question: your department are implementing a new project and your manager asks you to handle the process. However, one of the member strongly disagrees with this project and refuse to cooperate. What would you do?   Answer Question

CIB Summer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland.

Assessment centre on last day of Spring Week in London, Bishopsgate. Interview plus presentation. Competency questions had already been covered when interviewing for Spring Week, so the questions this time around were more technical.

Interview Questions
    • For the case study at hand, what debt to EBITDA ratio would you advise?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland.

I applied online and received a phone call within two weeks telling me I was selected for a phone interview. The phone interview only took about 30 minutes and was mostly personality/skills based questions. Three days later I received a phone call telling me I needed to come to their onsite location to finish the interview process. I interviewed for about an hour in a half during their onsite interviews and received a notification about two weeks later saying I was hired.

Interview Questions
    • How many pancakes are eaten on any given day in New York City   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Warsaw (Poland)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Warsaw (Poland)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland in September 2013.

There are three phases of recruitment process. First one is phone interview - here your foreign language skills are tested and so are you verbal presentation skills. Second one is one to one interview, very typical - asking about your motivations and psychological traits. Third one is interview with HR employee - to test you psychologically and to check your motives and also to negotiate salary.

Interview Questions
    • Plase tell me in details about your interest.   View Answer
    I was asked how much I'd like to learn. There's a salary range and it is good to know it before you apply as you can get a better deal with that knowledge.

Quantitative Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Amsterdam (Netherlands)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Amsterdam (Netherlands)

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland in June 2013.

I was interviewed for vacancy in Amsterdam office. Team has people in UK as well. Selected for the interview through a B-school in Netherlands (through resume book). There was only one face to face interview with two analysts from the team.

Interview Questions
    • A question on mathematics was asked initially, to explain the loss distribution for defaults if portfolio has multiple counterparties. Later on questions based on modifications to this distribution were asked, i.e., what happens at the tail when correlations increase..etc. I was expecting questions on modelling expected exposure, etc in terms of market risk. But the question topics were random for other candidates as well (some were asked CIR model). They basically test the most basic mathematical knowledge and how we apply it.   View Answer

Finance Interview

Typical interview, nothing exceptional, it was a 1 off role for a one off project. So nothing should be read into these comments for new recruitment. It was professional & they are a professional organisation.

No negotiation

(M&IB) Operations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland in January 2014.

First round: HR telephone interview, basically has two parts. The first 30 minutes is competency and fit, and if you do well enough you will proceed to the next 30 minutes, which is mostly work ethic and personality.
    Was notified within 48 hours that I had passed the first round, although the next round was not guaranteed.
    Waited around half a month to be invited to the assessment centre.
    Second round: asessment centre with four components
    1. A 1 hour one-on-one interview, exactly the same as telephone interview except face to face with an Operations member
    2. Group Interview: each people gets a different case, and you have to work in a team to prioritize them.
    3. Written Exercise: make a recommendation according to the group exercise
    4. One-on-one role play: based on the group interview, you need to advance your case to the person the interviewer is pretending to be.

Interview Questions
    • Role play interview includes questions where the interviewer can be quite hostile and unwilling to change.   View Answer

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New Delhi (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Delhi (India)

I applied through other source. The process took a day - interviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland in July 2013.

Interview was quite technical in nature. Everything related to banking and finance were asked by the interviewer. Also, there were certain misleading information was provided relating to the growth and salary increment in interview as well as orientation + Induction. HR people are themselves not clear about the policies they will beat around the bush but will not answer your query.

Software Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Chennai (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chennai (India)

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland in August 2010.

It was a detail process, couple of rounds of Technical screening, followed by competency based written tests, then again a couple of rounds of Technical screening (this time face to face), then again Management rounds and finally a HR interview (salary expectation). It was a tough process but structured.

Interview Questions
    • Usually all the questions are competency based and it was scenario based, questions are pretty much available or taken from many internet sites but with a decent preparation one can crack it.   Answer Question
    I had to negotiate twice to come closer to my expectation, you need to press foot and negotiate :)

Worked for Royal Bank of Scotland? Contribute to the Community!