Royal Bank of Scotland

Royal Bank of Scotland Interview Questions

Updated 8 Dec 2014
Updated 8 Dec 2014

Graduate - Risk Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland.

Phone interview followed very closely the provided description. First ~15-20 mins were dedicated to motivational questions: why RBS, why this programme, how do you see yourself with the company in 5 years, etc. Then there were 2 competency-based questions: describe a time you helped somebody to use their potential to reach a challenging goal; describe a time when you stood up for what you believe was right. For each question they asked follow up questions, so overall each situation was discussed for ~10-15 minutes.

Interview Questions
    • None, the give a very good explanation of what to expect.   Answer Question

Graduate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland.

Had to complete online tests - one situational and 2 psychometric tests. Quite difficult

Followed by a telephone interview which I passed. I am now waiting to see if I have got on to the assessment centre

Interview Questions
    • Competency questions involving leadership and doing the right thing   View Answer

Markets Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online – interviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland in November 2014.

Applied online and completed online testing (early November), invited to assessment centre exactly a week after. 12 people attended the assessment centre in late November and we were told this was the first one. The assessment centre consisted of a group trading game (teams act as both market makers and traders, where the closing value is the sum of nine die rolls... know how a spread works), presentation about a mobile banking business case and two interviews (one competency, one logic and competency). No technical questions.

Interview Questions
    • How many people cycle to work in the UK?   Answer Question
    • There are two planes, one travelling at 500mph and another that leaves half an hour later at 600mph. How long until the second plane catches up with the first?   View Answer
    • Three printing companies can respectively produce 1000, 2000 and 3000 copies every six hours. If they are all printing at the same time, how long until they produce 1000 copies?   View Answer
    • Describe to me a news story that you have been following?   Answer Question
    • When have you helped someone achieve their goal?
      Why RBS when there is negative press?
      Why only a fixed income and FX trading floor?
      What division do you see yourself working in?
      When have you made an impact that's improved a business?
      What role do you usually play within a team?

Answer Question

Graduate Analyst- Services- Transformation and Change Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland in November 2014.

Had my phone interview last week. About 25 mins long. The questions were quite predictable, but required a lot of examples from university and previous employment. Before the interview had to do a logical, numerical and situational tests.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a situation when you challenged something that was not compatible with your principles.   Answer Question

Capital Markets Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland.

Applied online through campus career site. After about a week got an on campus interview. Interview was mostly behavior and just trying to get to know you. Interviewer was very nice and was pretty relaxed. I only got asked one technical question, how would you assess the credit of a company?

Interview Questions
    • Explain a time you faced a challenge and how did you overcome it?   Answer Question
    • What would you look at when looking at the credit of a company?   Answer Question

Summer Analyst Interview

1st stage:
    why RBS, why this division, and all the fit questions

2nd stage:
    Relationship b/w bond price and interest rate
    Briefly describe the I/S from top to bottom
    Tell me the outlook of Korean economy in 2010
    Are you investing now?

Interview Questions
    • 1. Define a volatility based on Statistics
      2. Define a price of bond

Answer Question

Graduate Trainee Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland.

Filled out an initial application form, this was then followed by an initial screening phone interview asking to clarify a few details as well as the few straight forward questions about why and how I applied for the position. This was then followed by a further more detailed phone interview taking around 30 minutes. where i was asked a few situational questions these were straightforward, finally they asked me to give details of when I followed each of the four main company ideals. After this they contacted me to attend an assessment day a month later, however i had already accepted an offer for a grad role so had to cancel my attendance.

Interview Questions
    • Give examples of a time when you followed each of RBS's four values and the eventual outcome.   Answer Question

Summer Analyst - Private Banking and Whealth Management Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland in October 2014.

I passed the first round test, based on behavioural competency that has been an average one, like the one you find in several other banks. Then they send me the logical and numerical test, that has been the toughest I have done so far. I passed it and they invited me for a phone interview based on competency and motivation. Well, I have been really disappointed by it, they called me from a call centre with the worst sound quality ever. I had serious problems in dealing with it, voice was far, with a lot of noise in the background, I arrived to ask to repeat the same questions three times. So be prepared.

Interview Questions
    • How did you behave when you have to stand for your principles?   Answer Question

Operations Analyst Interview

I applied to one job, but qualified for a few so I had two interviews by two teams. I applied online and a RBS rep got back to me within a week. The process took three-four weeks from application to interview. Interview was fairly easy. The only difficult part is that you are being interviewed by 2 teams of 3 people performing 3 different functions so it's hard to cater to one function and show why you are a good fit.

Complaint is that RBS HR at the Stamford, NY is incredibly slow from application, interview, and response. They did not even reply with a definitive yes or no. Look, if you're scared of hurting my feelings, I can deal with rejection, but I cannot get back wasted time so please don't waste my time on my job search.

Building is state of the art. They have a large trading floor, gym (with sauna), food courts, and roof top dining.

Anyone would be lucky to work there because the building is great, but RBS is a dying company and shrinking its US presence...just read what the CEO is saying. Anyways upwards and onwards.

I didn't like some of the WASPY characters and I knew I wouldn't get it because of a lack of diversity in the company.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us what brings you into RBS today.   View Answer

Graduate Analyst Interview

interviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland in September 2014.

1st round, intelligence test, same as other IQ test, pass
    This set of problems is much more difficult than SHL (some name like that). It includes arrows combination, symbols, etc
    2nd round, numerical test, failed
    Different from other banks, just 12 McQ quiz, 75sec each, quite stressed comparing to other banks online test. Actually, it might not be that difficult, but you need to be prepared and using a good calculator.

Each quiz with at least 6 choices, some even with more than 10 choices
    They will have assessment center if u pass it. Some of my friend get there, but unfortunately I failed.

Interview Questions
    • Different from other banks, just 12 McQ quiz, 75sec each..   Answer Question