Royal Dutch Shell

197 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Commercial Graduate Interview

Melbourne

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Royal Dutch Shell.

Interview Details It was a long process lasting about 3 months from start to finish. This is how it went (to my understanding, this is now the standardised process globally, however it may differ slightly between countries):

Step 1: Online Application- from memory, it was pretty standard- a few questions about you, load you CV and cover letter etc.
Step 2: Online assessment 1: Competency Based Questionnaire to be completed online within 2-3 days.
Step 3: Online assessment 2: Decision Making Task: that was about how would you deal with regular working environment and conditions, ie what would you base your decision on, how will you prioritize you time between tasks etc.. It was based on the Shell business, so it would pay off to know a few basic things about Shell and the industry, even though it is not required.
Step 4: Phone Interview- about an hour of behavioural and motivation questions. expect question like "why shell", "why o&g" etc and questions about the core competencies of Shell (CAR). from memory some questions were about working in teams, leadership, managing people and dealing with difficult situations.
Step 5: Shell Recruitment Day (SRD)- this is the final step. It is a very long day consisting of the following activities:
1. Electronic E-tray exercise (reading materials, responding to emails and writing an overall summary email),
2. Self reflection interview (about your performance at the E-tray, what would you change etc),
3. Group activity (case study in a group),
4. Solo case study (40 minutes to read material, presenting your recommendations (5 min)and a 20 min Q&A session),
5. Final interview.

That's it, you're done!

Overall I found the entire process very enjoyable, even the online assessment was intriguing and the SRD was both challenging and interesting. The HR (and interviewers at the SRD) personal were professional and very helpful during the entire process.

Interview Question – The SRD personal case study was very challenging. Remember that usually there is no one right answer and as long as you can justify your recommendation (based on data and facts) you are doing a good job.   View Answers (2)

Applications Support Analyst Interview

Perth, Western Australia

I interviewed at Royal Dutch Shell in January 2010.

Interview Details Applied on portal and was contacted.
I was out of the country when I applied but the interviewers were willing to conduct a video interview.

I had to fill up a technical quiz as well as answer questions about my knowledge of the industry.

Interview Question – I was asked about to write a complex SQL statement   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The recruiter asked for my current pay and expectations.
Then they formulated an offer based on my ask.

Graduate Engineer Interview

Perth, Western Australia

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Royal Dutch Shell in August 2010.

Interview Details -Applied online, and got back with a reply to do a phone interview.
-Gave me a topic to analyse, Took about 20 min
-Got invited for a 1:1 interview at company
-Asked behavioural questions abt teamwork
-ANother topic to analyse
-It was difficult and i did not get through.

Interview Question – Give an example of your most happy accomplishment./achivement   View Answer

Graduate Program/Shell Recruitment Day/Cairo, Egypt Interview

Cairo (Egypt)

I applied online and the process took 6 months - interviewed at Royal Dutch Shell.

Interview Details The assessments were similar to what others mentioned like:
-Etray (It doesn't matter you answer all the emails, what matters is to answer as quickly and precisely as you can because the time is really so tight)
-Group Exercise ( engage, brainstorm, speak up, get involved)
-Self-reflection Interview (about your performance in the previous exercises)
-Case Study (analyse information in a very tight time)
-Competency Based Interview ( same to phone interview)

Interview Question – The case study is the most difficult part   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied online and interviewed at Royal Dutch Shell.

Interview Details Very friendly, first half was why I wanted to Join Shell. Second half was about competencies

Interview Question – Asked whether I applied to any other internships   Answer Question

Intern Finance Interview

The Hague (Netherlands)

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Royal Dutch Shell in March 2014.

Interview Details First you are required to complete three online tests, a personality test, a reasoning test and a numerical tests. After successfully completing these tests, I was invited to a face to face interview at the main office. This interview was mostly about personal experiences and focused on the values Shell strives for (see website for more info).

Interview Question – Tell me about a time you implemented something new in a work situation to improve efficiency.   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Royal Dutch Shell in June 2013.

Interview Details Long hiring process which included:
1. Preliminary phone call with HR clerk (1 hr)
2. Phone call with Senior Project Manager (1 hr)
3. Call with HR illustrating (she was actually dictating) interview scenarios, possible questions and expected answers (2+ hr)
4. 2 face-to-face interviews with hiring managers and HR (4 hrs)
All took more than 3 months to happen.

It was a nightmare that did not end well for me: they didn't even give me any answer for the employment (yes, no....whatever). They simply disappeared. I called them once to have a feedback (of any type) they bounce me back. I emailed: no answer. Is this the way they do business?

Interview Question – Unrealistic scenario: you are the CEO of company XYZ. There is a crisis 123 due to (whatever). How would you address the crisis?
This question is good for C-level / EVP caliber, not for a Business Analyst....
  View Answer

Analyst Interview

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Royal Dutch Shell in January 2010.

Interview Details First interview what through phone call. After around a week I was invited for a face to face interview with HR. After another week I was invited for a panel interview with two supervisors. Within that same week I had a final interview with the Senior Team Manager.

Interview Question – Not really difficult. You just need to be honest and just be yourself.   Answer Question

Graduate Engineer Interview

The Hague (Netherlands)

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Royal Dutch Shell.

Interview Details I was invited of the Shell Recruitment Day.

Interview Question – Where do you see yourself in 6 years?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Royal Dutch Shell in February 2014.

Interview Details Online application, online test (situational and numerical), face to face interview

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you had to accomplish something under pressure: what were the key decisions you took during this time?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Royal Dutch Shell

Worked for Royal Dutch Shell? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Royal Dutch Shell interview questions and advice. All 197 interview reviews are posted anonymously by Royal Dutch Shell employees and interview candidates.