Royal Dutch Shell Interview Questions

Updated Sep 12, 2014

3.5

Maintenance Planer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Perth, Western Australia

I applied through other source. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Royal Dutch Shell in June 2014.

Initial contact made through LinkedIn and time between contact and phone interview was quite fast. Although there were a few changes between recruitment representatives throughout the process, I was continually updated with the progress of my application and all representatives were friendly and helpful.

Interview was with a Shell HR team member and Line Manager and was a welcoming and relaxed atmosphere. The questions were quite standard and focused on general maintenance processes and business practices. Just be confident about your experience and know the position description and role really well. Spend quite a bit of time preparing some answers to potential questions and also DEFINITELY have at least one question ready to ask them as it shows you are interested in the company and have been taking in what they are explaining to you.

Complete process took about 2 months.

Interview Questions
    • Having to explain the exact thought process that occurred when I was faced with a difficult project or task in my previous experience. Breaking it down and justifying the decisions made was difficult as they wanted really detailed answers.   Answer Question
    I was new to the O&G industry so I was reluctant to negotiate

Commercial Graduate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Melbourne
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Melbourne

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Royal Dutch Shell.

It was a long process lasting about 3 months from start to finish. This is how it went (to my understanding, this is now the standardised process globally, however it may differ slightly between countries):

Step 1: Online Application- from memory, it was pretty standard- a few questions about you, load you CV and cover letter etc.
    Step 2: Online assessment 1: Competency Based Questionnaire to be completed online within 2-3 days.
    Step 3: Online assessment 2: Decision Making Task: that was about how would you deal with regular working environment and conditions, ie what would you base your decision on, how will you prioritize you time between tasks etc.. It was based on the Shell business, so it would pay off to know a few basic things about Shell and the industry, even though it is not required.
    Step 4: Phone Interview- about an hour of behavioural and motivation questions. expect question like "why shell", "why o&g" etc and questions about the core competencies of Shell (CAR). from memory some questions were about working in teams, leadership, managing people and dealing with difficult situations.
    Step 5: Shell Recruitment Day (SRD)- this is the final step. It is a very long day consisting of the following activities:
    1. Electronic E-tray exercise (reading materials, responding to emails and writing an overall summary email),
    2. Self reflection interview (about your performance at the E-tray, what would you change etc),
    3. Group activity (case study in a group),
    4. Solo case study (40 minutes to read material, presenting your recommendations (5 min)and a 20 min Q&A session),
    5. Final interview.

That's it, you're done!

Overall I found the entire process very enjoyable, even the online assessment was intriguing and the SRD was both challenging and interesting. The HR (and interviewers at the SRD) personal were professional and very helpful during the entire process.

Interview Questions
    • The SRD personal case study was very challenging. Remember that usually there is no one right answer and as long as you can justify your recommendation (based on data and facts) you are doing a good job.   View Answers (2)

Applications Support Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Perth, Western Australia

interviewed at Royal Dutch Shell in January 2010.

Applied on portal and was contacted.
    I was out of the country when I applied but the interviewers were willing to conduct a video interview.

I had to fill up a technical quiz as well as answer questions about my knowledge of the industry.

Interview Questions
    The recruiter asked for my current pay and expectations.
    Then they formulated an offer based on my ask.

Graduate Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Perth, Western Australia

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Royal Dutch Shell in August 2010.

-Applied online, and got back with a reply to do a phone interview.
    -Gave me a topic to analyse, Took about 20 min
    -Got invited for a 1:1 interview at company
    -Asked behavioural questions abt teamwork
    -ANother topic to analyse
    -It was difficult and i did not get through.

Interview Questions
    • Give an example of your most happy accomplishment./achivement   View Answer

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Royal Dutch Shell in September 2012.

1. Online Application - CV & Cover Letter (optional but worth including to show you really want it)
    2. Online tests - numerical and situational (typical online test system)
    3. Telephone Interview (CAR format with a case study)

Interview Questions
    • Did not realise the Capacity aspect was a case study, so definitely a reason to be active on here to do your research before hand.   Answer Question

Interview Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Royal Dutch Shell in August 2013.

My first telephone interview ever. Was very tough. Two people were carrying out the interview. One was asking the question and the other one making notes. Around 1- 1.5 hour. They test you on the CAR framework and then asked you to discuss a topic. Then discuss about your job preference.

Assessed Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Amsterdam (Netherlands)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Amsterdam (Netherlands)

I applied through other source. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Royal Dutch Shell in October 2012.

After a set of web forms (CV, experience, about yourself, ambition, goals), an interview by phone was held. There several types of questions were asked by a Shell employee (not per se your local office). The questions varied from:
    - your experience. Several types of situations (problem solving, conflicts, leadership) were suggested and your experience and your role in those situations were asked
    - also, an imaginary case was introduced and your creativity and approach were asked.

Interview Questions
    • Suppose you are the leader of a company, what would you do if the company suffers from losses in profit   Answer Question

The possible hiring date and internship end date differed more than a year.

Warehouse Lead Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Royal Dutch Shell.

One of the best interview & hiring processes I've ever experienced.

It starts of with a phone interview by recruiter, all the usual questions were raised. Second and final stage was the face-to-face interview.

The most striking difference was my application profile has already been populated and the interview began as soon as I arrived. Panel interviews with 2 that performs the technical assessment and 1 HR (in the middle) that fires the questions. Focus heavily on situational questions, assessment appears to be based on how you respond to different situations instead of how impressive your answers are.

Interview Questions
    • You are the CEO of the company, and your product are used internationally by celebrities and leading figures. A suspected fault in your product happened upon a celebrity, how will you respond?   Answer Question

Graduate Interview

Phone Interview with a local HR personnel.
    The process is pretty fast after the few online assessments which is automatically sent out.
    Interview questions are actually predictable if prepared well before hand.

After the phone interview will be the SRD.

MBA Graduate_Rotation Program Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Royal Dutch Shell in January 2014.

The interview is focus on the behavior questions. They also asked for the reason you apply for and what is your career path in the following five years. What element is your past work relevant to this program?

Worked for Royal Dutch Shell? Contribute to the Community!