Royal Dutch Shell

Relevance Date Difficulty

Commercial Graduate Interview

Commercial Graduate
Melbourne

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Royal Dutch Shell.

Interview Details It was a long process lasting about 3 months from start to finish. This is how it went (to my understanding, this is now the standardised process globally, however it may differ slightly between countries):

Step 1: Online Application- from memory, it was pretty standard- a few questions about you, load you CV and cover letter etc.
Step 2: Online assessment 1: Competency Based Questionnaire to be completed online within 2-3 days.
Step 3: Online assessment 2: Decision Making Task: that was about how would you deal with regular working environment and conditions, ie what would you base your decision on, how will you prioritize you time between tasks etc.. It was based on the Shell business, so it would pay off to know a few basic things about Shell and the industry, even though it is not required.
Step 4: Phone Interview- about an hour of behavioural and motivation questions. expect question like "why shell", "why o&g" etc and questions about the core competencies of Shell (CAR). from memory some questions were about working in teams, leadership, managing people and dealing with difficult situations.
Step 5: Shell Recruitment Day (SRD)- this is the final step. It is a very long day consisting of the following activities:
1. Electronic E-tray exercise (reading materials, responding to emails and writing an overall summary email),
2. Self reflection interview (about your performance at the E-tray, what would you change etc),
3. Group activity (case study in a group),
4. Solo case study (40 minutes to read material, presenting your recommendations (5 min)and a 20 min Q&A session),
5. Final interview.

That's it, you're done!

Overall I found the entire process very enjoyable, even the online assessment was intriguing and the SRD was both challenging and interesting. The HR (and interviewers at the SRD) personal were professional and very helpful during the entire process.

Interview Question – The SRD personal case study was very challenging. Remember that usually there is no one right answer and as long as you can justify your recommendation (based on data and facts) you are doing a good job.   View Answers (2)

Applications Support Analyst Interview

Applications Support Analyst
Perth, Western Australia

I interviewed at Royal Dutch Shell in January 2010.

Interview Details Applied on portal and was contacted.
I was out of the country when I applied but the interviewers were willing to conduct a video interview.

I had to fill up a technical quiz as well as answer questions about my knowledge of the industry.

Interview Question – I was asked about to write a complex SQL statement   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The recruiter asked for my current pay and expectations.
Then they formulated an offer based on my ask.

Graduate Engineer Interview

Graduate Engineer
Perth, Western Australia

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Royal Dutch Shell in August 2010.

Interview Details -Applied online, and got back with a reply to do a phone interview.
-Gave me a topic to analyse, Took about 20 min
-Got invited for a 1:1 interview at company
-Asked behavioural questions abt teamwork
-ANother topic to analyse
-It was difficult and i did not get through.

Interview Question – Give an example of your most happy accomplishment./achivement   View Answer

Engineer (Entry Level) Interview

Engineer (Entry Level)

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Royal Dutch Shell in July 2014.

Interview Details I applied online through the shell regional website. There were a series of online assessment. A number of behavoiral questions. This was followed by anlaytical questions. This was difficult as there was a time limit for each questions. The question itself was basic graphical questions but there was definitely pressure because of the time limit. Once passed the assesment, I waited for the call as it could be either a face-to-face interrview or a phone interview. I received a phone interview in few weeks time.

Interview Question – mostly basic questions , more to behavioral question
1) tell me about yourself
2) describe a situation where you displayed leadership
  Answer Question

Graduation Interview

Graduation

Interviewed at Royal Dutch Shell

Interview Details It takes about two months. After three online test, I am invited to a phone interview which is conducted by a operation manager or something, not HR. The questions are very very detailed and specific.

Interview Question – Questions regarding the relationship   Answer Question

Graduate Engineer Interview

Graduate Engineer
Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)

I applied online - interviewed at Royal Dutch Shell in July 2014.

Interview Details First I submitted my application through shell website. In the Next day, I was invited for the Online Assesment. The First online assesment is just simple Personal Test. Tips to pass this assessment is to humble and show the teamwork spirit.

After i Passed the 1st online assesment, I was invited to do the 2nd online assessment. The second online assesment is to value how can u solve the problem in some situation that u might faced in your future career life. After that is the problem solving part where it is simple math with restricted time.

I passed my second online assessment and was invited to have an interview in future. So Far still waiting the coordinator to arrange interview schedule with me

Interview Question – The Problem Solving Is just Simple Math, But the time is really short. Average 1 min for 1 Question   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

Engineer

I applied online and interviewed at Royal Dutch Shell.

Interview Details Firstly there will be an online assessment which consists of maths and also problem solving skills. If you pass this stage, you'll be selected for a phone interview session. This interview will be divided into 3 sections: how well you work in a team, why do you choose the field you're applying into and finally a Q&A sessions with the interviewer.

Interview Question – How do you handle miscommunication when working in a team   Answer Question

Assessed Interview

Assessed
The Hague (Netherlands)

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Royal Dutch Shell in April 2014.

Interview Details Applied online. Round one: personality test. Round two: decision-making test + numerical test (16 questions in 18 minutes). If round two is successfully completed, you will be invited to a 1h15min interview, which is purely behavioral and takes its point of departure in 'tell me of a time when you had to...' examples. Prepare your CV according to the CAR criteria (Shell website) and answer all behavioral questions according to the STAR model. Successful candidates will be contacted by HR, up to one month after the interview.

Interview Question – Tell me of a time when you had to work with someone else to achieve a common goal.   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Shell hires people according to personal fit rather than for specific positions and thus have to find you a job once successfully interviewed. Communication with HR can be very slow, and having been accepted, I had to start applying for other jobs when they still hadn't found me a position after two months.

Summer Interview

Summer
The Hague (Netherlands)

I applied online and the process took 2+ months - interviewed at Royal Dutch Shell in March 2014.

Interview Details Submitted an online application and got an invitation to do an online assessment, which consisted of 2 parts: (1) competency-based and (2) decision-making and a problem-solving. You have to complete the first one successfully in order to be invited to do the second. I got an email saying I passed and an interview date is to be scheduled.
After almost two months, I finally got a date and had a face-to-face interview with a manager.

Interview Question – Questions were typical competence-based questions: example of teamwork, example of leadership, etc. He took notes on practically everything I said and rarely made any eye contact. He said that the HRs would take the decision based on his notes, which I found strange and a bit rude. Overall, the interview was not bad, but I've had much more pleasant ones. Make sure to have plenty of examples, even 3-4 for the same competence.   Answer Question

Process Data Engineer Interview

Process Data Engineer
Chennai (India)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Royal Dutch Shell in July 2010.

Interview Details Telephonic Interview followed by a Technical Interview with the Manager in Shell Office and finally an Interview with the HR to discuss salary. Later a letter is sent making the job offer which could possibly be further negotiated.

Interview Question – What sort of growth are you expecting   Answer Question

Worked for Royal Dutch Shell? Contribute to the Community!