Royal Dutch Shell

Royal Dutch Shell Interview Questions

Updated 19 Feb 2015
Updated 19 Feb 2015

3.5

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Royal Dutch Shell in December 2014.

Online application -> Complete online assessment (few days after complete online assessment) -> Receive phone interview invitation (they will list the date and time for you to choose from, they give me around 1 month to prepare it) -> Phone interview

Interview Questions
    • Question asked were based on achievement, adaptability, deliver results, relationships and motivation.

Here are some of the questions asked:
      Discuss a time you change your habit or attitude to get thing done?
      Tell me about a time when you feel under pressure to deliver hard objectives?
      How you cope with pressure?
      How you track the progress of your work?
      How to develop relationship with someone new to meet objectives?
      How you solve the thing when values are different within team?
      What attracts you into energy industry?
      What have you done to know more about shell?

Maintenance Planer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Perth, Western Australia

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Royal Dutch Shell in June 2014.

Initial contact made through LinkedIn and time between contact and phone interview was quite fast. Although there were a few changes between recruitment representatives throughout the process, I was continually updated with the progress of my application and all representatives were friendly and helpful.

Interview was with a Shell HR team member and Line Manager and was a welcoming and relaxed atmosphere. The questions were quite standard and focused on general maintenance processes and business practices. Just be confident about your experience and know the position description and role really well. Spend quite a bit of time preparing some answers to potential questions and also DEFINITELY have at least one question ready to ask them as it shows you are interested in the company and have been taking in what they are explaining to you.

Complete process took about 2 months.

Interview Questions
    • Having to explain the exact thought process that occurred when I was faced with a difficult project or task in my previous experience. Breaking it down and justifying the decisions made was difficult as they wanted really detailed answers.   Answer Question
    I was new to the O&G industry so I was reluctant to negotiate

Commercial Graduate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Melbourne
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Melbourne

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Royal Dutch Shell.

It was a long process lasting about 3 months from start to finish. This is how it went (to my understanding, this is now the standardised process globally, however it may differ slightly between countries):

Step 1: Online Application- from memory, it was pretty standard- a few questions about you, load you CV and cover letter etc.
    Step 2: Online assessment 1: Competency Based Questionnaire to be completed online within 2-3 days.
    Step 3: Online assessment 2: Decision Making Task: that was about how would you deal with regular working environment and conditions, ie what would you base your decision on, how will you prioritize you time between tasks etc.. It was based on the Shell business, so it would pay off to know a few basic things about Shell and the industry, even though it is not required.
    Step 4: Phone Interview- about an hour of behavioural and motivation questions. expect question like "why shell", "why o&g" etc and questions about the core competencies of Shell (CAR). from memory some questions were about working in teams, leadership, managing people and dealing with difficult situations.
    Step 5: Shell Recruitment Day (SRD)- this is the final step. It is a very long day consisting of the following activities:
    1. Electronic E-tray exercise (reading materials, responding to emails and writing an overall summary email),
    2. Self reflection interview (about your performance at the E-tray, what would you change etc),
    3. Group activity (case study in a group),
    4. Solo case study (40 minutes to read material, presenting your recommendations (5 min)and a 20 min Q&A session),
    5. Final interview.

That's it, you're done!

Overall I found the entire process very enjoyable, even the online assessment was intriguing and the SRD was both challenging and interesting. The HR (and interviewers at the SRD) personal were professional and very helpful during the entire process.

Interview Questions
    • The SRD personal case study was very challenging. Remember that usually there is no one right answer and as long as you can justify your recommendation (based on data and facts) you are doing a good job.   View Answers (2)

Graduate Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Perth, Western Australia
    Anonymous Employee in Perth, Western Australia

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Royal Dutch Shell in August 2010.

-Applied online, and got back with a reply to do a phone interview.
    -Gave me a topic to analyse, Took about 20 min
    -Got invited for a 1:1 interview at company
    -Asked behavioural questions abt teamwork
    -ANother topic to analyse
    -It was difficult and i did not get through.

Interview Questions
    • Give an example of your most happy accomplishment./achivement   View Answer

Applications Support Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Perth, Western Australia

interviewed at Royal Dutch Shell in January 2010.

Applied on portal and was contacted.
    I was out of the country when I applied but the interviewers were willing to conduct a video interview.

I had to fill up a technical quiz as well as answer questions about my knowledge of the industry.

Interview Questions
    The recruiter asked for my current pay and expectations.
    Then they formulated an offer based on my ask.

Graduate Engineer Interview

I submitted the application online and shortly after the submission, I received the email to do the online test. The test mainly consists of two parts: decision making and numerical test. One week later I was invited to the interview. Very standardized behavior questions, such as:
        Give me an example when you need to exercise discipline to achieve a goal.
        Give me an example when you need to work together with foreigners in a group.
        Give me an example when you find very stressed and how do you deal with the pressure.
        etc.
    Plus, some motivation questions, like why oil and gas industry, why shell, why this role (I applied for engineer role) were covered as well. Waiting for the update now...

Interview Questions
    • I would say that the questions themselves are quite typical and standardized. But to give good examples to illustrate is nothing easy. So be prepared.   Answer Question

Human Resources Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cyberjaya (Malaysia)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cyberjaya (Malaysia)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Royal Dutch Shell in February 2015.

I applied online. A week later I got a received a phone interview. The phone interview was quite short. Some of the questions asked were, "Was there a time you experience conflict and how did you handle it?" and "Describe a situation where you displayed a leadership role." On the very same day after I completed the phone interview, I was sent an invitation to Shell Recruitment Day.

During the recruitment day, I was asked to complete several written assessments including an English test and a scenario question. We were supposed to give a five minute presentation on the scenario question but did not due to the lack of time as there were so many candidates. After completing the assessments, I was called for a two-panel interview.

Interview Questions
    • I am a fresh graduate, so the questions that were asked were in regards of my extracurricular activities and coursework. I am not sure is it because the job position I applied for was regarding HR but most of the questions were about how I handled conflict with other people, how I handled stress and how I juggled my time to multitask several assignments at the same time.

There were quite a number of follow up questions as they seemed to want to know all the details when I gave my answers. The questions were not difficult though as I just had to relay to them what I did in university and how I handled any stress, conflict and assignments. They also asked me how I gathered and interpreted data when conducting research for assignments.

Answer Question
    The salary package is already fixed so there was no negotiation.

Assessed Interview

Anonymous Employee in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)
    Anonymous Employee in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Royal Dutch Shell in February 2015.

Applied online, completed online assessments (standard stuff). And then telephone interview as last stage. I found that the interviewer was just following a script. I would explain in detail my example (STAR Method) and then he would ask a question that I pretty well covered, so I ended up repeating myself a lot.

Interview Questions
    • Why the energy sector? Why shell? A time when you were driven to get something finished?   Answer Question

Expatriate Transfer Advison - Human Resources Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Royal Dutch Shell.

I applied online and received a Phone interview (about 30 min) 1 week later .
    Than, i received a face to face interview invitations 1 day later after phone interview.
    The face to face interview are scheduled 2 weeks later from the call of invitation.

Great experiences on the interviews.
    The outcome usually come 1 day after the interviews (very quick)

Interview Questions
    • * Tell me something about your self.
         * What did you most enjoy on your current job
         * Tell me about a time when you feel under pressure? how did you overcome it ?
         * What have you done to know more about shell ?
         * What is the most difficult decision you have made in life?

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Royal Dutch Shell.

3 Online Exams, Interview with Line Manager, then Offer. No unexpected questions. Interview was only 1 hour long. Since it was an internship, a lot of the questions involved the relation of my college course to the internship program that I was taking.