Royal Dutch Shell Interview Questions

Updated 26 Oct 2014

3.5

Maintenance Planer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Perth, Western Australia

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Royal Dutch Shell in June 2014.

Initial contact made through LinkedIn and time between contact and phone interview was quite fast. Although there were a few changes between recruitment representatives throughout the process, I was continually updated with the progress of my application and all representatives were friendly and helpful.

Interview was with a Shell HR team member and Line Manager and was a welcoming and relaxed atmosphere. The questions were quite standard and focused on general maintenance processes and business practices. Just be confident about your experience and know the position description and role really well. Spend quite a bit of time preparing some answers to potential questions and also DEFINITELY have at least one question ready to ask them as it shows you are interested in the company and have been taking in what they are explaining to you.

Complete process took about 2 months.

Interview Questions
    • Having to explain the exact thought process that occurred when I was faced with a difficult project or task in my previous experience. Breaking it down and justifying the decisions made was difficult as they wanted really detailed answers.   Answer Question
    I was new to the O&G industry so I was reluctant to negotiate

Commercial Graduate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Melbourne
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Melbourne

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Royal Dutch Shell.

It was a long process lasting about 3 months from start to finish. This is how it went (to my understanding, this is now the standardised process globally, however it may differ slightly between countries):

Step 1: Online Application- from memory, it was pretty standard- a few questions about you, load you CV and cover letter etc.
    Step 2: Online assessment 1: Competency Based Questionnaire to be completed online within 2-3 days.
    Step 3: Online assessment 2: Decision Making Task: that was about how would you deal with regular working environment and conditions, ie what would you base your decision on, how will you prioritize you time between tasks etc.. It was based on the Shell business, so it would pay off to know a few basic things about Shell and the industry, even though it is not required.
    Step 4: Phone Interview- about an hour of behavioural and motivation questions. expect question like "why shell", "why o&g" etc and questions about the core competencies of Shell (CAR). from memory some questions were about working in teams, leadership, managing people and dealing with difficult situations.
    Step 5: Shell Recruitment Day (SRD)- this is the final step. It is a very long day consisting of the following activities:
    1. Electronic E-tray exercise (reading materials, responding to emails and writing an overall summary email),
    2. Self reflection interview (about your performance at the E-tray, what would you change etc),
    3. Group activity (case study in a group),
    4. Solo case study (40 minutes to read material, presenting your recommendations (5 min)and a 20 min Q&A session),
    5. Final interview.

That's it, you're done!

Overall I found the entire process very enjoyable, even the online assessment was intriguing and the SRD was both challenging and interesting. The HR (and interviewers at the SRD) personal were professional and very helpful during the entire process.

Interview Questions
    • The SRD personal case study was very challenging. Remember that usually there is no one right answer and as long as you can justify your recommendation (based on data and facts) you are doing a good job.   View Answers (2)

Graduate Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Perth, Western Australia

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Royal Dutch Shell in August 2010.

-Applied online, and got back with a reply to do a phone interview.
    -Gave me a topic to analyse, Took about 20 min
    -Got invited for a 1:1 interview at company
    -Asked behavioural questions abt teamwork
    -ANother topic to analyse
    -It was difficult and i did not get through.

Interview Questions
    • Give an example of your most happy accomplishment./achivement   View Answer

Applications Support Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Perth, Western Australia

interviewed at Royal Dutch Shell in January 2010.

Applied on portal and was contacted.
    I was out of the country when I applied but the interviewers were willing to conduct a video interview.

I had to fill up a technical quiz as well as answer questions about my knowledge of the industry.

Interview Questions
    The recruiter asked for my current pay and expectations.
    Then they formulated an offer based on my ask.

Facilities Engineer Interview

Did the Online Test

Was invited for a telephone interview

And finally the SRD

SRD was a day long event, very stressful and challenging, ended with a panel interview, had e-tray exercises and group discussions. Candidates were assessed on every activity.

Process Engineer Interview

1) Psychometric Test - Test your mental stabililty
    2) Aptitude Test - Basic graphs and data interpretation questions
    3) Telephonic Interview - They focus on the use of 'I' rather than 'We' and ask questions on the CART structure. Be genuine here and only use real life experiences. Don't fabricate your own stories.
    4) SRD Interview

Graduate Programmer In Finance Interview

As other people have commented here regarding the online testing but I also wanted to add that, with regard to the first online assessment where you are required to rate actions you would take and then rate the most and least effective solution - DO NOT choose the most ideal ones every time as it presents an unrealistic viewpoint and only shows that you are trying to give what they want.

With the second online assessment you have 18 mins to complete 18 questions that involve analysing charts/graphs and interpreting and calculating information from them. I personally found it very time pressured although the questions weren't particularly difficult. The tests are by Cubiks and there may be practice tests available online or hints and tips on video channels.

Overall, with the first one you should really try to visualise yourself in the scenarios given and think logically about how all stakeholders/people involved are affected rather than just trying to give the model answer. For the second, timed assessment do try and find practice tests available and do them. Even if you can't find cubiks ones try and find a generic test online where you have to analyse and interpret charts and perform calculations AND THEN DO THESE UNDER TIME RESTRICTION. The reason I say this is that it will give your brain a reference point for working under pressure so hopefully you won't be too overwhelmed when you come to this part of the test.

Having said all of that, I completed 10 out of 18 and still got called for an interview so don't lose too much sleep over it.

Process Engineer Interview

done with online assessment, and waiting for telephne interview. if you have time and want to save time you can go through the the cognitive sample questions which is been posted and mostly the same questions you get.

Interview Questions
    • numericals in online assessment has to be prepared before giving it   Answer Question

Assessed Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Royal Dutch Shell.

1- Submitted the Resume online

2- 2 Tests
    One is personal which is quite easy and you should answer what you believe
    the other is situational and you should answer according to Shell principle (Vision and mission)
    it also has numerical test, be fast and prepare a good calculator as graphs and tables are full of information and you will take time to find the right ones then do the calculation.

3- Interview
    The CAP is essential assignment and all question based on it
    So prepare your answer in advanced in STARR hierarchy
    and when you mention one example you should stick to it as the interviewer will not allows you to change it for the same question.
    The question were like the one the recruiter send you as tips to help you or what you usually find on the Internet about CAP interviews

4- Offer or not

Interview Questions
    • What challenges you faced and how you over come it in this example you mentioned ?   View Answer

Graduate Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Royal Dutch Shell.

you have to register until end of deadline on Shell.com and choose one way : 1- an assessed internship 2- graduate program
    after submission you pass an online behavior online test(unlimited time)
    then decision making and numerical test

if you successfully passed exams u invited to an phone interview

Interview Questions
    • i suggest to anybody search and practice on competency based interview, behavior interview   Answer Question