Royal Dutch Shell

Updated 20 Jan 2015
Updated 20 Jan 2015

3.5

Malaysian Graduate Position (Overseas University) Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Royal Dutch Shell in December 2014.

Online application -> Complete online assessment (few days after complete online assessment) -> Receive phone interview invitation (they will list the date and time for you to choose from, they give me around 1 month to prepare it) -> Phone interview

Interview Questions
    • Question asked were based on achievement, adaptability, deliver results, relationships and motivation.

Here are some of the questions asked:
      Discuss a time you change your habit or attitude to get thing done?
      Tell me about a time when you feel under pressure to deliver hard objectives?
      How you cope with pressure?
      How you track the progress of your work?
      How to develop relationship with someone new to meet objectives?
      How you solve the thing when values are different within team?
      What attracts you into energy industry?
      What have you done to know more about shell?

Answer Question

Maintenance Planer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Perth, Western Australia

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Royal Dutch Shell in June 2014.

Initial contact made through LinkedIn and time between contact and phone interview was quite fast. Although there were a few changes between recruitment representatives throughout the process, I was continually updated with the progress of my application and all representatives were friendly and helpful.

Interview was with a Shell HR team member and Line Manager and was a welcoming and relaxed atmosphere. The questions were quite standard and focused on general maintenance processes and business practices. Just be confident about your experience and know the position description and role really well. Spend quite a bit of time preparing some answers to potential questions and also DEFINITELY have at least one question ready to ask them as it shows you are interested in the company and have been taking in what they are explaining to you.

Complete process took about 2 months.

Interview Questions
    • Having to explain the exact thought process that occurred when I was faced with a difficult project or task in my previous experience. Breaking it down and justifying the decisions made was difficult as they wanted really detailed answers.   Answer Question
    I was new to the O&G industry so I was reluctant to negotiate

Commercial Graduate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Melbourne
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Melbourne

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Royal Dutch Shell.

It was a long process lasting about 3 months from start to finish. This is how it went (to my understanding, this is now the standardised process globally, however it may differ slightly between countries):

Step 1: Online Application- from memory, it was pretty standard- a few questions about you, load you CV and cover letter etc.
    Step 2: Online assessment 1: Competency Based Questionnaire to be completed online within 2-3 days.
    Step 3: Online assessment 2: Decision Making Task: that was about how would you deal with regular working environment and conditions, ie what would you base your decision on, how will you prioritize you time between tasks etc.. It was based on the Shell business, so it would pay off to know a few basic things about Shell and the industry, even though it is not required.
    Step 4: Phone Interview- about an hour of behavioural and motivation questions. expect question like "why shell", "why o&g" etc and questions about the core competencies of Shell (CAR). from memory some questions were about working in teams, leadership, managing people and dealing with difficult situations.
    Step 5: Shell Recruitment Day (SRD)- this is the final step. It is a very long day consisting of the following activities:
    1. Electronic E-tray exercise (reading materials, responding to emails and writing an overall summary email),
    2. Self reflection interview (about your performance at the E-tray, what would you change etc),
    3. Group activity (case study in a group),
    4. Solo case study (40 minutes to read material, presenting your recommendations (5 min)and a 20 min Q&A session),
    5. Final interview.

That's it, you're done!

Overall I found the entire process very enjoyable, even the online assessment was intriguing and the SRD was both challenging and interesting. The HR (and interviewers at the SRD) personal were professional and very helpful during the entire process.

Interview Questions
    • The SRD personal case study was very challenging. Remember that usually there is no one right answer and as long as you can justify your recommendation (based on data and facts) you are doing a good job.   View Answers (2)

Graduate Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Perth, Western Australia

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Royal Dutch Shell in August 2010.

-Applied online, and got back with a reply to do a phone interview.
    -Gave me a topic to analyse, Took about 20 min
    -Got invited for a 1:1 interview at company
    -Asked behavioural questions abt teamwork
    -ANother topic to analyse
    -It was difficult and i did not get through.

Interview Questions
    • Give an example of your most happy accomplishment./achivement   View Answer

Applications Support Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Perth, Western Australia

interviewed at Royal Dutch Shell in January 2010.

Applied on portal and was contacted.
    I was out of the country when I applied but the interviewers were willing to conduct a video interview.

I had to fill up a technical quiz as well as answer questions about my knowledge of the industry.

Interview Questions
    The recruiter asked for my current pay and expectations.
    Then they formulated an offer based on my ask.

Process Engineer Interview

Very hectic .Resume shortlisting , two psychometric rounds were conducted, one analytical round ,followed by telephonic interview, group discussion, self reflectory interview, HR interview.Impossible to predict what the recruiters are looking for.

SRD: Graduate Position Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Royal Dutch Shell.

I was being interviewed for a fresh graduate entry position post my PhD. The whole experience was fun and I was decently confident about the experience but they did not provide any reasons for not selecting in the end, which was a bit inappropriate.

Interview Questions
    • Most difficult session was the e-tray exercise majorly because of the time restriction   Answer Question

AssessedSingapore Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Royal Dutch Shell in January 2015.

The hiring process comprises a series of online assessments followed by a face-to-face interview at Shell's office. The interview is very structured, with the interviewer asking questions and writing down your answers, using a recruitment form with a question on each page. This internship interview only sought to assess the Achievement and Relationships components of the CAR framework they have. I think it would be very beneficial for you to practise answering questions using the STAR approach, as if your answer does not cover everything they seek to ask in the form, they will ask you more follow-up questions which would kind of indicate that your response was insufficient.

Interview Questions
    • Why did you choose Shell, given your interest in the energy industry?   Answer Question

GRADUATE POSITION Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Royal Dutch Shell.

Apply online, then you go through a series of competency and skills based ( numerical) online tests. Next comes the phone interview stage. Finally if you succeed at this stage, you get called for the SRD which is the final stage in the recruitment process.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you allowed other people's decision to influence yours. What challenges did you face and how did you overcome them   Answer Question

Shell CS PhD Program Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Royal Dutch Shell.

Stages:
    1. Online test: aptitude, personality questions
    2. Telephonic Interview: personality questions
    3. Typical Shell Recruitment Day: Etray test, Self reflection interview, case study, group discussion

As I applied for a technical role. They focus mainly on the personality side throughout the process. All in all SRD proved to be a long day of scrutiny of one's personality. Although long but enjoyable as you would end up having healthy interaction with fellow SRD candidates and making new friends.

Interview Questions
    • Different Life examples. "A situation where you worked in group and faced conflict"   Answer Question