S&P Capital IQ Interview Questions

Updated 20 Oct 2014
Updated 20 Oct 2014

3.1

Management Trainee Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at S&P Capital IQ in April 2014.

They called me for the interview based on resumes sent to them. First round was on accounting basics ratio analysis and stock market. Second round mostly on your post qualificatin experience

Tech QA Interview

1 round of test, 3 rounds of interview, tested software testing knowledge. Good overall check of analysis ability

Database Engineer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at S&P Capital IQ in March 2014.

I applied through my university's CareerNet website. I was called for an On-Campus Interview. The interview lasted for an hour. First, I had to appear for a 30 minute test, which included 3 questions. First question was to draw an E-R diagram from the given information. Second question was to solve SQL queries. Third question tests your basic programming skills, few basic programs like prime number, palindrome etc.

A week later, I got an e-mail informing me that I cleared the first round of interview and was invited for the final round of interviews on-site. The final round of interviews lasted for 2 hours and 15 minutes. There were 3 interviews one after the other each of 45 mins.

The on-site interview started at 12:30. The 1st interviewer gave a data model and asked some basic SQL queries on that. He also asked about indexing. The 2nd interviewer presented me with a scenario and asked to design a data model. The 3rd interview was conducted by 2 people. They gave me a data model and asked some set operation based SQL queries. My interview ended at 2:45. The HR gave us a tour of the office after the interview.

Along with technical they even asked me about the project work, experience etc. So be ready for resume based questions too.

I got a call from the HR after 2 weeks to inform me that I was selected.

Overall, it was a good experience. Concentrate more on data modelling and SQL queries. Try solving as many queries as you can. Practice well.

The Interviewers are warm and polite. They help you if you are stuck or give you hints so that you get an idea of the question and can think in the right way.

Even if you go wrong, it is completely fine, what matters is your approach towards the question, your problem solving skills etc.

All the best!!

Interview Questions
    • I wasn't asked a difficult question but I wasn't much prepared with set operation based queries. So I had tough time answering them.   View Answer

Summer Software Developer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied online. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at S&P Capital IQ in March 2014.

The application was online and it took about about 6 months before I got an email to schedule a telephonic interview. Because it took so long, I had actually forgotten I had applied to this position. The manager who called me was a great conversationalist and asked great questions but was not knowledgeable about programming subjects.

Interview Questions
    • What do you know about S&P Capital IQ?
      Explain in detail the process of software development.
        Answer Question

Database Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at S&P Capital IQ in March 2014.

Two rounds of interviews. The first was a 1:1 on campus and involved a written test prior to speaking with the interviewer. The test was 3 questions, two involving database design and a third relating to algorithms. With some basic SQL knowledge, the first two were fairly straightforward. The third was a little more challenging because it was a very specific question and involved some Computer Science knowledge. The interviewer was extremely friendly and very helpful when I didn't know something. I didn't even finish the test, which wasn't a problem.

The second round was on site and had three different groups (2 were 1:1 and the other had 2 interviewers). Same level of difficulty with questions, just more intense. Everyone was very professional and helpful, not as intimidating as I'd expected. Overall, good experience.

Interview Questions
    • How would you find all prime numbers less than or equal to some number n?
      Design a database for a set of airlines, airports, and passengers. (And a few subsequent questions relating to your design)
        Answer Question
    Internship, so no negotiation, but salary was very fair.

Quality Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hyderābād (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hyderābād (India)

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at S&P Capital IQ.

The process was smooth with 4 rounds of interviews spanning a duration of 2 days. They scrutinized everything from the logical ability to real-time problem solving skills. Since the position was QA most of the questions revolved around testing, SDLC, types of testing, debugging etc.

Research Associate Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at S&P Capital IQ.

Step 1:General Aptitude Test where we had to write an SOP
    Step 2:An HR/Technical Based interview, which lasted for hardly 5 minutes
    Step 3:A Content test containing questions based on logic, analysis and Finance
    Step 4: Managerial Interview

Product Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC (US)

I applied through college or university – interviewed at S&P Capital IQ in February 2014.

I applied through a campus recruiter. The process took three weeks, and I was interviewed by two people, a product consultant and a account manager. The interviewers were very straight forward about the position description, the hiring process, and the company culture. Most of the interview was spent discussing my major and qualifications, and there were very few behavioral questions.

Interview Questions
    • I do not come from a finance background, so the interviewers really grilled me on how my background fit into the job position.   Answer Question

Product Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at S&P Capital IQ in February 2014.

First contact was at career fair. That lead to first interview on campus. Second interview was downtown. Third interview is in New York.

Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Noida (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Noida (India)

I applied through college or university – interviewed at S&P Capital IQ.

Applied through campus hiring process. The first step was the aptitude test which was too easy but they eliminated people on the basis of statement of purpose that was another hidden section in the information about the employee.

The next step was the hr interview which was nothing but confidence testing round lasting for 3-5 minutes.

The third stage is the technical test where purely finance and logical questions are asked.

The fourth one is the final managers interview where the person is just tested on his convincing skill to do a boring job. Prepare for that.