Schlumberger

Updated 25 Feb 2015

2.9

Anonymous Employee in Perth, Western Australia
Anonymous Employee in Perth, Western Australia

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Schlumberger in May 2010.

I applied online and within 2 weeks I got a mail from the HR people saying that they are interested in my application. Within a week from that I got called to a 1:1 interview with HR representatives. The questions were behavioural, but they asked me around 15 to 20 questions. I have my second round interview with the operations manager tomorrow.

Interview Questions
  • How do you think a typical day of work at Schlumberger would be?   Answer Question
  • How do you thinking your working environment would be at Schlumberger?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Schlumberger

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Adelaide
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Adelaide

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Schlumberger in July 2009.

Interviewed and recruited in Australia. Two rounds of interview. 1 Round was face to face HR interview, 2nd interview was a group interview.

Interview Questions
    Place and segment of assignment

Field Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Schlumberger.

The interview consisted of two components: Behavioral interview and presentation/technical interview. I received the first interview by my school's career fair and center. The Behavioral portion was pretty standard. The interview consisted of 7 questions and a simple technical question. After three weeks, the recruiter contacted me by inviting me to the second round. The second round was more technical over the presentation topic which you selected prior to arriving. There were early mornings and late night sessions. I believe this was the test to see if the candidates could deal with the demanding hours of a field engineer. For the last day, we saw the field and talked to recruiters about working locations. About a month later, I received and offer.

Field Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Schlumberger.

So far, I've only had a first round interview. I would describe the interviewer as a seasoned veteran of the company who has experience in possibly every aspect of the field. In the two days I had contact with him (info session and interview) he had a lot of knowledge and experience to impart. To be honest, it was a privilege.

The interview itself was extremely relaxed. He had specific questions to ask about my fortitude and to ensure I would fit in, and that was about it. It seemed like the fastest half hour of my life. I hope it was easy because my resume spoke for itself and he already decided he liked me, but that's just speculation, and possibly wishful thinking. He replied to me and thanked me before I could even thank him. Very very impressed. I want to work for this company.

I will update as the process hopefully continues. I have not received an offer yet, interview was only yesterday. I still need to be invited to and pass a second round.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time, in a work setting, that you asked someone to do something and they said no.   Answer Question

Field Engineer Interview

The process seems to be pretty well documented on here. I got the first round interview through a school career fair, which was a pretty generic 30 min interview. After two weeks, the recruiter emailed me with an offer to the second round. Second round started off with technical presentations that ran late into the night. Early next morning we went into the field and saw a couple different segments. When we got back to the hotel, I talked with the recruiter about my work preferences. A month later I got an offer.

Communication throughout the process was terrible.... There seems to be high turnover in HR since I've talked to three different recruiters in three different semesters. It was tough to get responses from the recruiters. Even after I got an offer, my emails got ignored. It was easiest to call the recruiters, but they don't give out their numbers. I only got it after I got called.

Furthermore the process of selecting a segment was very shady and seemed to be full of lies. My first choice was "closed" according to the recruiter, but somehow, my friend got in. Similarly, another person was told that the segment I was placed in was "unavailable currently". Additionally, this was only told over the phone, not email (no paper trail). Why lie to us? I was excited about working for SLB, but the hiring process has been very unprofessional, extreme, and has turned off.

Field Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Schlumberger.

The second interview is a group, onsite interview. Be prepared by researching Schlumberger, their services, and current developements in technology. We all presented in groups on different service segments. The recruiters also presented information on the different segments. There were team building excercises as well.

Interview Questions
    • You wil most likely be asked about your motiviation to be a field engineer. Be sure you know what it's all about. Demonstrating that you fit the field engineer lifestyle is key.   Answer Question

Field Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Schlumberger.

I got selected for an on campus interview through career services. The initial interview included describing my accomplishments which was pretty much 'walking through' my resume. I thought he was a good interviewer.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time you had to go out of your way to accomplish an objective. Follow up question was relate that to this position your applying for.   Answer Question

Field Engineer Interview

There were a range of things to complete including psychometric testing, a presentation about yourself and to answer pre-set questions using powerpoint and a face to face interview. It was overall a good experience and the interviewers were absolutely lovely people!

Interview Questions
    • Why have you not chosen to pursue work experience within your desired area of interest?   Answer Question

Field Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Schlumberger.

After the normal 1st interview, which was on campus, I was selected to interview a 2nd time. This process meant you had to fly out to a location and go through a 2 day interview process.

The interview included:

As part of the interview process we would like you to prepare a short presentation (5-6 slides and about 5-6 minutes per each team) on the segment that you have been assigned (segment assignment is for presentation purposes only and will not affect potential employment assignment). You are welcome to use any resource of your choice (websites, books, etc). The Spreadsheet attached has your assigned segment and your group member contact information. If you have difficulty contacting any of your group members, let me know in advance!

Segment Groups:
    1. D&M (Drilling & Measurements) and Pathfinder
    2. Wireline Open Hole Logging
    3. Well Cementing Services
    4. Wireline Cased Hole Services
    5. Hydraulic Fracturing Services
    6. Artificial Lift
    7. MI-SWACO

Feel free to us the Schlumberger website, but please to use other resources as well. Your audience should be geared towards those who do not know anything about our business. An example of what to include in your presentation is:
    - What is the purpose of that segment?
    - How does it fit into the life cycle of a well?
    - What are the different services this segment provides?
    - What are different ways/techniques to perform these operations?
    - What is a typical equipment layout during a job in that segment?

You will present on the evening of Day One. (We will meet at 6:00 p.m. in the conference room of the hotel). Recruiters and managers from different product lines will ask questions related to your presentation.

As part of the interview we are planning to visit one of our bases and a well site. To do this, we will all have to wear PPE (Personal Protective Equipment). I recommend you to bring a comfortable set of clothes (comfortable pants/shorts and a t-shirt) to wear underneath the coveralls. If you own a pair of steel toe shoes/boots you can bring those.

Field Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Schlumberger.

The interview process consists of three stages, I am currently in the first state awaiting an invitation for the second interview, and I hear the third is a trial in the field. The first interview was mainly a chat about my education and work experience in my college years, in addition to describing what the job is all about. I have read here that the Schlumberger interviewers tends to give it to you straightforward about both the hardships and the benefits of the job while asserting the hardship part just to see if you're still interested.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing really, it was mostly a chat and a demonstration of what the position entails.   Answer Question