Schlumberger Interview Questions in United Kingdom

Updated 21 Oct 2014

2.9

38 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Field Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Schlumberger.

Sent off CV and got a response within a week; invited to Assessment Centre.

The assessment day was quite typical; presentation, logic tests (do revision on different types of psychometric logic tests) group exercise and one-on-one interview.
    Nothing extremely difficult..

However, quite a bad HR department. Some people from the interview didn't hear back about negative results until they personally called the department after almost 2 months. It seems most of the positions were already filled while we interviewed the assessment centre.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you worked on a practical assignment.   Answer Question

Field Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Schlumberger in August 2014.

Online application, then an invite to assessment centre.

Assessment centre quite laid-back, they seem to observe your personality and whether you would suit the role. Then a one-on-one interview is given to round off the day. Make sure you are well adept with competency questions and have lots of examples where you demonstrate it.

A major con: No feedback is offered at any stage of the recruitment, even after interview.

Reservoir Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Schlumberger.

Two separate interviews. First one on campus and a second one at one of the regional headquarters. There was an interview panel made up of technical and personnel people.
    All the candidates had to do a technical presentation of work they had done recently. You would then get grilled on what you had spoken about, they would go at you until you crack basically, guess its just to see how you can think on the spot and answer questions under pressure.
    Apart from that it was mostly relaxed and they were friendly.

Wireline Field Engineer Interview

I had to go through 3 Interview stages before i was hired, 1st was a group test and logical questions to assess your thinking, the test mainly included mathematical and mechanical problems including fluid and torque calculations. the second stage was an HR one to one interview, mainly you speak about yourself and they check if you are suitable for this type of field job. Third and final stage was another group meeting with all the candidates, where everyone is required to prepare and present himself in a 5-slide power point presentation mentioning his strengths , weaknesses, previous experiences and things that excite him in general.

Interview Questions
    • They really seamed to care about what you have been doing in the past as they are trying to get an idea of what kind of personality you are and how you reacted to tough situations.   View Answer
    ?

Graduate Field Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gatwick, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Schlumberger.

Applied online 4 weeks ago and received an email inviting me to attend an assessment day at their office in Gatwick.

Started the day with a brief presentation about the company and were then given the opportunity to ask a Field Engineer a number of questions. Seems like interesting but very demanding work.

Then had to sit 3 tests, the first of which was a relatively straightforward logic test which I think everyone seemed comfortable with. The had to sit two more tests which were unlike anything I have ever done before, and were very difficult having 20 questions and a 15 minute time limit. I guess everyone passed though as no one was asked to leave.

Then had to give our individual presentations, relatively straightforward however I would advise anyone that is applying for this job to make their presentation as interesting as possible and not just fill 5 slides with writing, as it can become a snore fest otherwise.

After this we had lunch. Then had a group exercise in the afternoon which involved building a structure from paper and sellotape that could support the interviewers phone, and the winning group was the one which was tallest. This was surprisingly fun and a nice change from the high pressure morning tests and presentations.

After this had a half hour technical interview, where they basically went through my CV and asked a few engineering based questions. Then a half hour interview with HR in which you had to assemble a valve in under 5 minutes (or try to), and then answer bog standard interview questions (why do you want to work in Oil and Gas etc).

Overall was an enjoyable but slightly exhausting day.

Interview Questions
    • Give me a recent example in which you used logic to solve an engineering problem.   View Answer

Field Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Schlumberger.

Applied online
    Invited to Assessment Centre in Dec 2013,
    Standard AC activities including presentation from the company, aptitude tests, personal interview and technical test involving putting together a valve using a technical drawing.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gatwick, England (UK)

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Schlumberger in December 2013.

All I had to do was go on the website and apply about 6 months in advance. They then called me and asked me to come in for an interview. Had a really nice chat and answered a few questions. They then got back to me about 4 weeks later saying it was successful.

Interview Questions
    • Question regarding streamer technology! (Problem solving)   View Answer
    Very simple as they asked and I accepted. They then asked about available dates ect. And now I'm there

Field Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Schlumberger in December 2013.

I was invited to the assessment centre in Aberdeen where a full day event was conducted.
    The day started with 3 psychometric tests, these were unlike others I have seen in the industry where the first was a logic sequence, however in a 3x3 grid with 1 square missing, the 2nd was a circuit like problem where different components altered the shape going through it in terms of size, colour and shape type this was fairly easy, the last test was also component based and fairly logical.
    After a break we worked in a group to make a structure out of paper we could all stand under. We had lunch and then there were pre prepared presentations from all candidates and individual interviews.
    The staff were fairly friendly, however a more holistic approach would have been better rather than telling people to leave after not scoring well in the tests which is quite intimidating.

Interview Questions
    • The psychometric tests were unexpected.   View Answer

Field Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Schlumberger.

The day started with 3 tests, a numerical test and two logic tests. The tests were marked and participants who did not reach the minimum criteria were asked to leave.

The second half of the day involved presentations and a one-on-one interview and asked to assemble a valve.

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stonehouse, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stonehouse, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Schlumberger.

Sent CV online and got an interview 2 weeks later. involved 30 minute presentation on any technical topic of my choice, followed by technical questioning. Secondly a simple multiple choice test on technical principles, and finally a seocnd interview with HR and recruitment team, which was competency based.
    Final tour of facilities.
    Overall an enjoyable experience, with polite and friendly interviewers.