Schlumberger

Updated 28 Feb 2015
Updated 28 Feb 2015

2.9

REMS Summer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Schlumberger.

Two Interviews
    First interview was with HR, consisted of two tests; one on mechanical reasoning and a second on maths (beware imperial units!!) this was followed by a CV based competency interview and a tour of the site along with an overview of the company.

Second interview was with the team I would be directly working with, this was a technical interview, I had to give a presentation on a technical project I had worked on, followed by a number of questions regarding design for manufacture and understanding of technical drawings. This was concluded by a competency interview and a tour of the site specific to the role I would be working in.

Electrical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Schlumberger.

First is online application which is relatively quick to finish. It does not involve any essay or covering letters, so just submit your cv and fill some information then there you are.
    Afterwards, I was invited to the assessment center that held in the Gatwick office. This test included presentation skill test (you will be asked prepare a presentation about your background, personal experience, as well as description about yourself). Then, you will have two tests (quantitative skill test and basic electrical engineering test). At the end of this section, you will be interviewed by the HR person. It mainly revolved around your leadership and technical project experience, and question what do you know about the company. Also, he asked me why I choose the position in R&D, would I mind to work in the field (I said that I do mind because I apply only for R&D job).
    The final stage is interview session in the R&D center. This would be my workplace if I got accepted. My advice is, prepare yourself about the technical skills and knowledge as much as you can. You will be challenged of some technical questions, about both of your projects and selected topic from interviewer. In the case when you think you cannot answer it, just don't show your nervousness. Try to approach the question gently to avoid yourself from further difficult questions.
    I was cut on the last stage. However, it was a very good experiences. I got the response a week after my last interview.

Interview Questions
    • What makes you unique?
      Why Schlumberger?
      Revise your past projects thoroughly before coming to the technical interview

Answer Question

Graduate Field Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Schlumberger.

I applied by submitting my CV to their online recruitment process in October and was invited to an assessment centre in December. It was pretty standard stuff, needed to give an interview on our backgrounds, psychometric tests, team building exercise and interview. During the interview I needed to assemble a valve from an engineering drawing.

Interview Questions
    • The most unexpected question I got asked was "If unforeseen occur then would you be prepared to work 24 hours for the company?"   View Answer

Field Engineer Interview

There were a range of things to complete including psychometric testing, a presentation about yourself and to answer pre-set questions using powerpoint and a face to face interview. It was overall a good experience and the interviewers were absolutely lovely people!

Interview Questions
    • Why have you not chosen to pursue work experience within your desired area of interest?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Schlumberger in November 2014.

Process was very straight forward. Applied online and submitted a CV. No cover letter required. Talked to one of the engineering recruiters at my university's careers fair. She passed on her contact card and took my CV. I later received an email for an invite to an assessment centre in Aberdeen.

The assessment centre consisted of an introduction to Schlumberger and how their business operates. Be prepared to ask questions and answer queries regarding the companies history. There were timed IQ style tests that lasted approximately 1 hr. It is key to be prepared at this stage and make sure to practice as much as possible. There were no numerical style questions. One of the tests consisted of 3x3 matrices where you have to discover a pattern in a small amount of time.

Later we carried out our self-presentations that were prepared in advance and assembled a valve with an interview to follow.

Interview Questions
    • each candidate had to assemble a diaphragm valve (for gas) within 5 minutes with parts missing. Its important to remain calm at this stage and not to be thrown off. If you do not assemble it within the allocated time, talk about what you would have done to complete the valve. You are provided a cross sectional drawing and not an exploded diagram. They later asked the usual HR questions and what product line interests you the most.   Answer Question

Graduate Field Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Gatwick, England (UK)
    Anonymous Employee in Gatwick, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Schlumberger in November 2014.

Application involved submitting a CV.
    Assessment Center - A presentation given by the company, explaining how the company works and giving more information about the role we had applied for. 1 hour of logic testing. We then all gave a presentation about ourselves for 5 minutes. We then conducted an individual 30 minute interview.

Interview Questions
    • Why are you deferring away from your original sector of engineering?   Answer Question

Field Specialist Trainee Interview

Anonymous Employee in Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at Schlumberger in November 2014.

We started the day with a presentation about the company and was asked questions during this. The questions were basic things you can find on the schlumberger home page: who were the founders and in what year, number if employees etc.
    After this we had our individual tests. These were a mechanical or electrical one to begin with then 2 psychometric tests. If you have any doubt about which one to choose I'd definitely choose the mechanical one.
    We then had our individual presentations, follow by lunch then the group exercises. On this we had to build a tower out of 20 sheets of paper and Sellotape which was strong and stable enough to hold an iPhone on top of it for 10 seconds.
    After this we had the individual interviews. This was pretty straight forward. We were asked to put together a valve using a drawing and then asked a few basic questions and sent home. Still waiting to hear the outcome in a few weeks.

Interview Questions
    • If you were offered the position would you have any initial concerns.   Answer Question

Graduate Petrotechnical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at Schlumberger in October 2014.

I Applied online and I was invited for an assessment day after a few months, where I did a presentation about myself and a recent technical project. I also did 2 diagrammatic tests and an interview.

Field Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Schlumberger.

Sent off CV and got a response within a week; invited to Assessment Centre.

The assessment day was quite typical; presentation, logic tests (do revision on different types of psychometric logic tests) group exercise and one-on-one interview.
    Nothing extremely difficult..

However, quite a bad HR department. Some people from the interview didn't hear back about negative results until they personally called the department after almost 2 months. It seems most of the positions were already filled while we interviewed the assessment centre.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you worked on a practical assignment.   Answer Question

Field Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Schlumberger in August 2014.

Online application, then an invite to assessment centre.

Assessment centre quite laid-back, they seem to observe your personality and whether you would suit the role. Then a one-on-one interview is given to round off the day. Make sure you are well adept with competency questions and have lots of examples where you demonstrate it.

A major con: No feedback is offered at any stage of the recruitment, even after interview.