Sears Interview Questions

Updated Sep 16, 2014
1,243 Interview Reviews

2.3

Sales Associate Interview

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Sears.

I worked at a hometown store, so I just talked with the owner and manager for a half hour. They asked about my past work history, and schedule availablty. They never discussed how much I would be making until after I started.

Cashier Interview

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Sears in May 2014.

they basically just talked about how important it was to get people to apply for a sears card. there wasnt much information needed from me, just that i agreed to getting everyone i checked out to apply for a sears card.

Interview Questions
    • there wasnt a difficult question, they did ask how i would handle a rude customer..but that was easy to answer.   Answer Question

Loss Prevention Associate Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Sears in July 2014.

1.Submit resume online, sometime later you may recieve a reply from a recruiter from Sears, who may send you a link to complete their online assessment test. Or you may recieve a rejection notice, or nothing at all. If you pass the assessment test they may contact you a week or 2 later (or again maybe a rejection notice, or nothing. If they decide to go further, they will contact you via email to set up a phone interview. The phone interview is pretty short, where they tell you about the position, they may ask about some prior job experience, and basic get to know you questions, If they like your responses they will invite you for an interview and set a time and date. The interview maybe a "hiring event" where they schedual many people to show up at the same time, and you may or may not even interview with the manager of the store for which you actually applied. If you are just given a date and time, you may or may not even interview with the manager they arranged for you to interview with in the first place. They also have sent me to the wrong store location, and I was forced to drive many miles to the other store location. They may or may not make an offer for employment right away, and you will have to wait for them to contact you.

I have noticed all the area loss prevention managers were hispanic, and the only candidates to recieve job offers were hispanic. (this has been the case for every retailer I have ever worked for)

I believe there is a racial bias, and they do not have diversity or EOE.

I have worked in retail for well over 10 years, and know the scams, the tricks etc. that theives use, additionally I am well versed in safety protocols that is also one duty of loss prevention as well. I have personally prevented numerous potential losses due to both customer and employee theft.

Sales Associate/Cashier Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Sears in September 2014.

Applied online and competed the assessments at night (total time under two hours). The next morning the manger called me to have an interview two days later at the store. At the interview she asked me one question and offered me the job on the spot. The interview lasted for 10 minutes. Most of the interview she talked about the position, dress code, hours, availability. I applied for the sales position but she wanted me to work Cashier.

Interview Questions
    • All she asked was tell me about yourself and your past work history.   Answer Question
    No, mim wage which sucks since I have experience and was paid more at my old job.

Assistant Retail Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Carlsbad, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Carlsbad, CA (US)

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Sears in February 2010.

• Build a culture of outstanding customer service to earn trust and drive sales.
    • Create, orchestrate, and implement marketing strategies for sale events.
    • Invest in partnerships with local businesses and communities to strengthen brand awareness.
    • Responsible for giving quality coaching to sales team to surpass sales goals.

not much negotiation

Senior Project Manager Interview

It took three months to get an interview. Once I got an interview I met with the PMO director for about an hour. The manager of the department was not available so I had to come back the following week for another interview. After reviewing with the manager I was supposed to get a signoff from the Senior director of Sears but she was let go. So I waited another two weeks until someone who replaced her could sign. After 4 and a half months I did manage to get the job. Shortly after the director quit. Not a very good process.

Interview Questions
    • Sears is letting numerous people go as we restructure. How will that effect your performance?   Answer Question
    Simple. They stated your salary and offered a vacation of three weeks and I accepted.

Software Engineering Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Sears.

The hiring process was extremely easy - there was one phone interview, then I was offered the position. The recruiters hold your hand from the beginning of the process all the way through the internship.

Interview Questions
    • Depending on the position, there are technical questions   Answer Question

Mattress Sales Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Sears in August 2014.

Very quick, very easy, only aksed me two questions, the rest of the time she was just telling me what i would be doing. I basically had the job before I even got there, they really needed people.

No negotiation

Loss Prevention Detective Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Minneapolis, MN (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN (US)

I applied online. The process took 4 days - interviewed at Sears in August 2014.

Applied online, took assessment at that time. Received a call from the LPM I would be working for to set up an interview about 3 days after applying. LPM was very laid back and around my age. Interview was mostly skipped as all the questions were about sales, LPM said "you aren't selling anything in this job". Set up a 2nd interview halfway through the first, for the following day. 1st interview took 45mins to an hour.

2nd interview was with the store manager, who only looked over the first interview notes and verified it was correct. Was given notice I would receive offer via email later that day. 2nd interview took 10 mins.

Email came with extremely low offer. Talked with recruiter about the pay and ended up getting exactly what I asked for. Which was $3.40/hr more than originally offered.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me a time when you had a difficult situation where you had to think fast?   Answer Question
    Negotiated $3.40 more than original offer.

Assistant Retail Store Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Sears.

Interview was with the store manager. The recruiter then set up an interview with the district manager It was in about a week. The district manager lived out of town.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about how you turned a team around that was not performing. What did you do to change the culture?   Answer Question

Worked for Sears? Contribute to the Community!