Sephora Color Consultant Interview Questions

Updated 26 Sep 2014

2.0

10 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Color Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Spokane, WA (US)
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Spokane, WA (US)

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Sephora in August 2014.

I applied online and about a week later went into the store with my resume. They told me they could not accept anything in store, but they were having a job fair at the same time down the hall. I ran down the hall and was about 6 minutes after they ended the fair. They still very nicely offered me an interview, and told me on the spot that they would call to set up a second phone interview with a manager from a different store, and that they would be calling my references. About 5 days later the same manager who interviewed me said that I would be getting a call from the other store manager in 2 days and we set up a time. She called and asked the same questions as the first interview, then said that the store I applied to would be getting in touch soon. I waited 5 days and then called to check in, let her know i was still interested and she said that she would get back to me tomorrow. She did, and she called to offer me the position.

Interview Questions
  • Normal customer service questions.
    Why sephora?
    What got you into makeup?
    Tell me about a difficult time with a customer?
    Tell me what qualities you think make a good manager?
    What qualities make a bad manager?
      Answer Question
I did not try to negotiate.

Other Interview Reviews for Sephora

Color Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Sephora in July 2014.

I applied on the 3rd of July and was called on the 4th, I answered and was asked to set up an interview, I set up one for the following week. When I arrived to the interview I was then told it was a group interview. All I knew was to be super friendly so another girl that was waiting, I just started talking to her. We were then led to the food court and asked questions and told to answer how ever. Most of the questions were very general like why sephora, do you have an retail experience, tell me about an co worker who didn't follow rules. At the end of the interview they told us they would follow up in that week. Two days later I was called to have a personal one on one and since I had cosmetic experience to do a demo. I went in a had my one on one which were more LP(loss prevention) and customer service orientated questions. They asked the infamous perfume question. I was then asked to do a demo on the manager, talk about nerve wreaking. So I did a smokey eye and then left as they were getting busy and was told that they would call me in the next week. I heard nothing. Then a little over a week later the Assistant Manager called me to tell me they were trying to get ahold of my references. I guess that means I did well in my second interview. So I explained that two of them were on vacation and they would be back this day. After they got ahold of my references they called me with an offer. I asked them to let me mull it over for a day and then decided I would take it and negotiate on salary.

Interview Questions
    • If a client came into the store and explained that she just bought the perfume and broke it what would you do?   View Answer
    I asked the manager if they would be open to salary negotiations, I put a price on my application which you should never do. She asked why I wanted more since I put down $$ and I explained that I know what my value is as an employee and the type of environment I would be working in. we landed somewhere in the middle of what I wanted and what was offered.

Color Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Sephora in September 2013.

Applied online a month before receiving a call. Had the interview on a Wednesday which took about 30 mintues was super friendly. Received phone call the following week on a Friday as she said she would either way if hired or not. Offered me a core position and congratulated me on being hired cause of course I took the offer.

Interview Questions
    • What can bring to Sephora?
      What would you do if you had a issue with a fellow employee?
        Answer Question
    Negotiation was about money, it is negotiable especially if you have previous retail and or in cosmetic industry. I got a tad under what I asked but well over the normal.

Color Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Seattle, WA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Sephora in September 2013.

First there was a group interview with 3 more girls. Questions were simple: about the experience and how we will deal with the difficult clients, why we want to change our jobs and get a job in Sephora. 15 minutes after the interview Specialist called me and invited for the second interview with the Store Director. It was an hour long interview with the same questions that are very simple to answer. They want you to assure them you will be professional and polite and know how to apply makeup on someone. AND SELL, SELL, SELL. They invited a cashier and told me to sell her a blush. They brought a brush, a blush and a highlighter. I put all 3 items in her basket. After that interview I was called and scheduled interview with the district manger on the phone. it took 3 more days and the same questions - 15 minutes only. I got a job in a week after I was interviewed for the first time. It is my biggest regret and disappointment. Sephora promises a lot and gives nothing, no respect, no recognition, no thank you. $500/ paycheck is very good if you will be getting as a color consultant, working 32 hours a week. This company is greedy and cheap. An ok job if you are a student and need some money, not good as a permanent job and you try to survive on those pennies that they will be given to you.

Interview Questions
    • How will you deal with a client who is putting products into their purse in front of you?   View Answers (3)
    They told me 11.50/hour because you have an experience. no negotiable.

Color Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Fort Collins, CO (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Collins, CO (US)

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Sephora in August 2013.

Filled out an application online, received a call for a group interview a few days later. Easy, relaxed environment. Although it was a group interview, everyone gets a turn to speak which makes it easy. Had an interview with the store manager a few days later, again super easy, more of a conversation than an interview. Only issue was I had to wait over a month to start, which kind of sucked.

Interview Questions
    • They will ask you what you would do if a client dropped a perfume bottle outside the store right after purchasing it.   View Answer
    None.

Color Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Buford, GA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Buford, GA (US)

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Sephora in May 2013.

Before I applied, I'd visit the store often and became quite friendly with one cast member in particular. I then came in and spoke directly to the manager, who told me they needed people. I took an application and turned it in the next day (I didn't want to look desperate by turning it in there and then). I was called for a one on one interview a week later with the manager and then a makeup trial on a model a few days later. Once they checked out my references, I was offered a job about 2 weeks later.

Interview Questions
    • How would you deal with a rude customer?   View Answer

Color Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Aurora, CO (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Aurora, CO (US)

I applied in-person. The process took a day - interviewed at Sephora in November 2012.

It was very quick as I was hired on as a last minute Holiday worker. Brought my application, resume, and hand written cover letter and received a call less than a week later to come in the next day for an interview. The hiring manager and another lead interviewed me briefly (about 45 minutes) and offered me the position and I accepted. I came in the next day to shadow a manager for 5 hours, that was about it for my training.

Interview Questions
    • "What would you do if a client walked in right now and asked you to find her the best mascara?"   View Answer
    They offered me the position of Color Consultant for $10.00 an hour and I accepted.

Color Consultant Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Sephora in February 2011.

Two interviews. If they call you for second interview there is a good chance you got the job. Then the training is about a week long paid and thenyou start on the floor.

Interview Questions
    • Very basic questions. Just be interested in helping people and selling.   Answer Question

Color Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Reston, VA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reston, VA (US)

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Sephora in September 2010.

I had to go trough 3 interview which took 1 month. The interview itself felt like I was interview by a policeman, very intense. The questions were normal, like for any costumer service related job.

I asked for $12, they offered me $11. I took it

Color Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  South Portland, ME (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in South Portland, ME (US)

I applied in-person. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Sephora in May 2010.

To be hired at sephora, you must show passion for the beauty industry and want to help clients. To work there you must be at least 18 years of age and fill out an application and bring it into the store. There is an interview process that can be with just a hiring manager or with several other candidates.

Interview Questions
    • They ask a lot of questions about prior experience and basic questions that express your passion for the customer/client and the beauty industry.   Answer Question

Worked for Sephora? Contribute to the Community!