Sephora

Updated 9 Dec 2014
Updated 9 Dec 2014

2.5

Color Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manhattan Beach, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manhattan Beach, CA (US)

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Sephora in December 2014.

Group interview. Got called three hours later. Accepted offer. Did paperwork and came the next day for training. Orientation was once a week for two weeks. That was the only part that doesn't make sense to me but I love it here

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if a client broke a perfume after walking out   Answer Question

Sales Interview

Phone, two on-site interviews. Regular sales questions. Two store management team members interviewed me. If you are doing seasonals it would be quicker. Now everything is online so I guess you have to submit your application online first.

Seasonal Cashier Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Sephora.

I got called for an interview the day after I applied. I get there 15 minutes before my interview time. Dressed in all black, makeup done (10k notes on tumblr so I was looking good lol jk). I tell the first girl I see that I'm here for an interview. She uses her headset and lets who ever it is know I'm here. I hang out for a while and after 30 minutes I'm like oh maybe the interviewer is running late. After an hour I ask the same girl again what's going on. She asks around and tells me to stand by the register. Two people come to me and ask if I'm here for an interview. I say yes. They half heartedly apologize. One of them says that she thinks they didn't know they even had an interview scheduled today. I get an email saying thank you for coming in but we're going to go with someone else more qualified. I was so confused since I haven't even been interviewed. Ten minutes later a woman comes out and asks me if I've been here the whole time. I said yes. She said she sent me that email since she thought I never showed up. She apologized. They had already done the group interview. We go outside the store and she interviews me for 5 minutes. Basic interview questions. Why do I want to work there, the perfume situation, my favorite and worst manager and why. She tells me to take out of my mind that I will be doing makeup. She says it in a rude way. I don't know if she meant it to come out like that. But that's how I took it. She asked me if I needed any time off to tell her now (seasonal position) I say no. She says she's going to put me back in the system and to ignore the email she sent me. And that's it. Like two weeks later (yesterday) I was at work. I'm a cashier. I recognize a woman that I always see at sephora. I say hey don't you work at sephora? She says yes then I ask her what she does. She is the manager there. I explain to her what happened. She was shocked. It turns out she was the one that called me for my interview. She asked me for my name and said she was going to give me a call tomorrow. She never did. I know she was busy and I'm not her #1 priority but why would she say that and not do it? I honestly didn't think this would happen. I've been trying to work there for almost 2 years. I was so sure I was going to get the job. I turned down an amazing opportunity because I knew there was a possibility I could work there. Now I'm too embarrassed to even show my face in there. Looks like I'm going to be going to sephora jcp from now on. I like to think its a sign that I should be somewhere better. I don't mean to make sephora look bad or the people there look bad but I didn't expect this to happen to me. I'll be giving mac a shot. Wish me luck and I hope your sephora experience is better than mine. If I end up getting called back, I will be saying thanks but no thanks.

Cashier Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Sephora.

the interview id say was great , 5-6 other girls and all got to say what we wanted, did a small demo and got called immediately for a second interview , the very next day got hired and went to an orientation. It was so much fun!! I loved the experience and the knowledge they gave us! For the onboard , it was 12-4 and it felt like an hour! I love this job, this is an awesome company to work for

Interview Questions
    • Name a time when you went above and beyond with a client.   Answer Question

Seasonal Cashier Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Sephora in November 2014.

Applied online, got a call for an interview about 8 days later. Interviewed the following day. The interview was very short, kind of informal but I just assumed it was because the store was so busy and because it's a seasonal cashier position. Asked the basic questions - whats customer service to you? What can you bring to Sephora? What was your last/most recent job like? It took about 15 minutes overall. I think I waited more to meet with the hiring manager than how long the actually interview took place. Called the following Monday because I needed to tell my job at school that I would be unable to work for them. Was offered the position. Overall very fast and easy process.

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Sephora in November 2014.

I applied on a Friday night then I got a call on Monday, so pretty fast. My interview was on Wednesday, so 2 days later. I got to sephora pretty early. I was the first one there. So at exactly 2, the store specialist took me and another down to the resting area in the mall to interview us; one girl came late. The store specialist was cool and so was the store director. Then they started to interview us. I was kind of nervous but it was that bad since it was a group. Sometimes i went first because no one knew who should go first so we took turns. The interview was pretty quick only like 30 minutes. So at the end they told us that they will be calling our references & we will meet the following wednesday I believe for a more in depth one-on-one & most like training because Black Friday is 2 days away.

Seasonal Cashier Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Sephora in November 2014.

Got called in to do the first interview witch is a group interview. It was about 5 girls including myself. The managers seemed pretty nice. The questions were general questions they ask you on any other job. They gave everyone a chance to speak so it wasn't any jumping to answer first.

Interview Questions
    • If you own a store and someone buys a perfume and they drop it and it shatters. What would you do ?   Answer Question

Seasonal Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR (US)

So basically, I applied online and then a week later, I get a call. But I missed the call because my phone was charging and the girl on the phone tells me that she would like me to come in for a group interview at noon the next day. Then she tells me to call me back to confirm. So I do and the next day, I come in for an interview at noon. I got there 20 minutes early and they told me to wait by the fragrance section, which is right next to the entrance to the back. There's already a girl waiting there so I wait there too. Then as noon gets closer, there's 10 of us total. 8 girls, 2 guys. Mind you, EVERYONE is wearing black but you need to find a way to be different from others. How you do that is up to you.
    As soon as it turns to noon, the girl on the phone collects us all and takes us to the back and sits us on stools and chairs. She also brings another woman with her and they begin the interview.
    We're sitting in two rows so they go down the rows, asking us what days we're available and at what times. Then they asked us the interview questions and the last question was what world we would want to work in. Most people said color or skincare. But the interviewers told us that they were those positions were mostly full and they were looking for more people in cashier and fragrance. (Cashwrap is like a business inside of a business. It has its own manager and half the employees who get hired work at cashwrap during holiday season.)
    They open up the last few minutes for Q&A for anything you're curious about or whatever else you want to ask them. This interview ended up taking an hour and a half. So, time accordingly.
    Also, they said that they were hiring around 40 people for the holidays and seeing how Black Friday is soon, they needed to make a decision quickly. So they said that the decisions would be finalized by the next day and everyone who they wanted to extend an offer to would most likely receive a call before 4:00pm.
    So about 45 minutes after the interview, the first girl calls me and offers me the job. She then tells me that I have to accept the offer online and that I start training on Monday. She also told me to bring my ID and Social Security Card by the next day to work out my payroll.

Interview Questions
    • Do you prefer a very structured work environment or one with a lot of freedom?   View Answer
    • What did your favorite supervisor do that made them your favorite?   Answer Question
    • What would you do if a co-worker asked you to do something dishonest?   View Answer
    • Let's say you own a store that sells fragrances. A customer comes in and buys a bottle of perfume and is extremely excited about it. 20 minutes later, the same customer comes in, clearly upset, explaining that they dropped the bag and the perfume broke. What would you do?   View Answer
    • Tell us about a time you experienced good customer service. What made it good?   Answer Question

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Sephora in November 2014.

Applied online, got call in two business days for an in-person interview. Interview was short and relaxed. Asked questions on past work experience, my availability and briefed more on position.

Seasonal Cashier Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Sephora in November 2014.

Filled out an application online and received a call back 3 weeks later. They left a message in my voice-mail to go into a group interview a few days later. I showed up ten minutes early and wore all black because I knew that's what the uniform is. I let one of the workers know that i was there for the group interview and she directed me to a spot in the store where the interviewees were to gather. Once the time hit the clock that we were supposed to be there, the director in charge & a supervisor came out and lead us to a location outside the store where we would all be able to sit together. They introduced themselves, talked a little about the company & what we would be doing if hired, and then dove right into question's. First thing they asked was for us to give a brief intro about ourselves & tell them a little about our previous job & what we did there. Second question, why do you want to work for sephora? Third, tell me about a supervisor you really liked and one you didn't like & why? Last question was the scenario where they tell you that you need to pretend a customer drops a bottle of perfume after they purchased it and they come back wanting to replace it. What would you do? That was basically the end of the interview & i got called back two days later letting me know that they want to continue to the next phase of the interview with a "demo." So i went in and was asked to demonstrate at the register how i would ring up a customer which is super easy. Just be yourself!

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a supervisor that you really liked and one you didn't like and why?   Answer Question