Sephora Interview Questions

Updated 28 Oct 2014
Updated 28 Oct 2014

2.5

Beauty Advisor Interview

The process took a dayinterviewed at Sephora.

The interview was with five girls all applying for the same position. We sat in a circle and they asked questions regarding team work and how we dealt with customers. Also when was a time you had a difficult customer?

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Sephora.

Interview went great! It was a group interview. There were two other girls along with myself. They asked a question and we took turns answering. It was a little weird because you felt like you were trying to one-up the other girls answers, especially if you weren't the first person to speak, however, I felt the interview went really great and smoothly. I was lucky enough to have two great girls that were conducting the interview and they made the interview process seem really relaxed and fun.

Interview Questions
    • None of the questions were that difficult. If you've done interviews before, you will have no problem during the interview with answering the questions. Pretty generic, "Where do you see yourself in ___ years?", "Why do you want to work for Sephora?", etc.   Answer Question

Seasonal Cashier Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Sephora.

I read reviews here and talked with my friends who are employees, so I felt confident about my chances. The group interview lasted about an hour, and there were four candidates to two hiring personnel. The questions were standard interview fare: what about your last job, the perfume bottle question, how would you handle someone asking you to be dishonest on the job, who was your favorite/least favorite employer and why. We were in the employee locker room on stools around a high table. It was awkward, and the interviewers did not make follow up replies or ask questions to help develop our answers. It was agonizingly awkward. Luckily I got my rejection email just a few minutes after I left.

Seasonal Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Sephora.

I honestly don't know how to describe my experience other than the fact that it was disorganized and it took a while . I applied online and I wait for two weeks and never got a reply so when I learned that they were having a job fair , I took matters into my own hands and attended. I went to the career fair and had two on spot interviews . First one was pretty simple in that they only asked my availability and why I wanted to work at sephora etc . Then I was asked to wait for another interviewer to become available to interview me . The second interview was pretty in depth . She asked questions about my previous employer , a time I went above and beyond in customer service etc. When It was finished I was told that I would be hearing from them in the next day or two and we would go from there . But obviously I never heard from them . So I took matters into my own hands again and called them . The hiring manager who interviewed me was not in that day so I decided to wait a few more days and then call again . When I did call again , my interviewer has left to go on vacation . Not knowing what to do , I asked if I could leave my number and have someone else from management contact me . But obviously no one called me back . So I waited another week to call in so my interviewer would be back and called in . Immediately she apologized because they had lost my application and interview answers . She then helped me make an appointment for another interview the following Thursday. Come Thursday I had another interview will another manager where she asked questions like what type of management do you think you work well in , tell me about a time someone wanted you to do something against company policy ,etc. I guess she liked my answers because I then had a demo interview in which me and a sephora staff role played and pretended to be sephora cashier and customer . I was such a nervous wreck but I guess I did something right because they called me an hour later to tell me that I got the job ! Later that night , they sent me a email with a link to all the paper work and forms that I need to sign and after I filled them all out , they called me the following morning to tell me about when I would start training . The process was long and a little disorganized but sometimes you just need to take matters into your own hands and show the company your initiative and things will go your way I promise !

Wardrobe for interview :

Red Blazer , Black blouse , Black dress pants , and heals

Makeup :

Simple brown smokey eye . Bold red lip

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you accomplished something at work   View Answer

Senior Financial Analyst Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Sephora.

Simple - 3 rounds of interviews (2 in the office). Went through a recruiter and then had a phone interview with HR. Then i had a half day of in office interviews one on one. Lastly, i met with he head of the team one on one.

Seasonal Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Anaheim, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Anaheim, CA (US)

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Sephora.

I walked into the sephora at Downtown Disney and asked to speak to the hiring manager. I asked if she was hiring for the holidays and she told me yes. I gave her my resume and told her I already completed an online application. She told me she would call me.
    The same evening she called me and invited me to a group interview the next day at 6pm.
    At the interview there were 5 other girls. I mingled a little before the interview started to take the edge off.
    The interview went well, the staff was friendly and I felt their energy! They made me even more excited to join their team just so I could have some of that energy! They seemed happy and to really like their job.

The interviewers asked questions and went around the table for everyone to answer. At times she asked who wanted to go first, volunteer to go first.

There was also a roll play. Just a basic cash rap scenerio. Try not to choke. It's very casual. That's why mingling helps if you can. That way you aren't so nervous or shy when your on the spot. Have fun with it! After all, it's SEPHORA!

Seasonal Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Sephora.

Applied online, heard back from them about two weeks later; they invited me to a group interview which consisted of 5 other girls. General manager asked us about our past jobs, why we would like to work at sephora, and what customer service means to us. All in all, the interview last about 50 minutes, she had then informed us we would receive a call the following week if we fit the criteria. About 3 days later, I received a call from the director asking me to come in for the second interview; this was a one on one. The interview it self was pretty straight forward and super easy, he asked similar questions as the general manager did. He told me that they would be checking my references and I would get a call if everything checked out.

Heres where things get sticky, the HR recruiter chose to call my references on a holiday. I had informed them before hand that they would have to call in the morning. When i called to check in, just to make sure she was able to contact my references, they informed me that she wasn't able to get through. But its complete bs, 2 of the 3 references had informed me that they received no call at all. Super annoying, but the HR recruiter had no interest in speaking with me, I had to pass the message along by another employer from that store.
    One of my references did call the store, but they didn't put her through with the HR recruiter.

The store itself is great, so were the manager and director. But the last part of the interview stage can break it or make it; make sure you put down references that will pick up the phone at a moments notice.

Seasonal Cashier Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Sephora.

The process took less than a week. I applied online and got a phone call the next day to schedule an interview. I couldn't do the first day she suggested so I did the following day ( so it must mean there was another day/round of interviews before me). I wasn't told it'd be a group interview but it ended up being me and another girl. I wore black dress skinny pants, black silk tank with a black cardigan over. Both the other girl and I were dressed in all black. As for makeup, I applied a smokey eye and a bold cat eye. I had to wait an extra ten minutes but the interviewer was really nice and was really good at making the interview really casual and conversation-like (definitely didn't feel competitive). The questions were pretty basic, but surprisingly very few were customer service scenarios. Instead, I got questions like 1) What stores have the best displays and why, 2) What do you think about structure in the work place, 3) Have you ever had problems with your boss/co -workers, 4) Tell me about your last job, 5) How would you promote a discount event to a VIB Rouge customer. We were both offered an invite to the 2nd round of interviews on the spot, which took place a few days later.

For the 2nd interview, I was dressed in a black shift dress that is similar to the current uniform, with black tights and ankle boots. I applied soft eye makeup with a bold cat eye and a coral lip. Even though the other girl did get offered a 2nd interview with me, she didn't come for a reason I'm unaware of. I interviewed with a woman higher up this time and she was also very warming but I could tell she was really tired. This time I got the questions 1) [repeat] Have you ever had problems with a boss/co-worker, 2) Tell a time you experienced really good customer service, 3) Tell a time you went above and beyond for a customer, 4) What are some things that make a good shift/worker, 5) What do you plan to do in the future, 6) What did you like best/least about your last job, 7) what is something good and bad your previous employers would say about you. Throughout the interview, I was worried that the interviewer was uninterested because she yawned a few times, but at the end she told me that she and the first interviewer were really excited to get me aboard but she would have to touch base with her first and that I should hear back within the next few days. I got a call the next day with an offer and I took it.

I surprisingly didn't get any questions about the broken perfume bottle, interacting with difficult clients, why Sephora, what do you know about Sephora, or "what would you do, if..." scenarios. Also, I'm almost positive, they WILL call your references so make sure to put down ones that really know you and would speak highly of you without hesitation.

Overall, emphasize how important it is for an employee to be able to work at the cashwrap (can give a good lasting impression no matter what happens out on the floor), customer service over interest in makeup, and your opinion that Sephora is a long term career.

Interview Questions
    They gave what I wanted, so I didn't bother to negotiate.

Beauty Advisor Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Sephora.

I applied to multiple store locations. One store sent an email for an invitation to a Sephora job fair, 2 called extending invitations for group interviews, and another also sent an email asking me to go in to speak with a manager about opportunities (they just asked for basic information such as availability and basic interview questions for further consideration for a group interview).
    Basic interview questions - past work experience, customer service experiences & expectations, etc.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if a customer broke a bottle of perfume shortly after purchasing?   Answer Question

Cashier Interview

Interview was easy. There was a group interview setting with the assistant store manager. There was a guide that she went by to ask questions. Mostly were related to what would you do in various situations with clients and cast. The same day we interviewed with the store director. All interviews took place outside of the store, due to lack of space backstage. Fortunately it was holiday hiring season and we were hired the same day.