Sephora Interview Questions

Updated Sep 12, 2014
Updated Sep 12, 2014

2.5

Product Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Glendale, AZ (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glendale, AZ (US)

I applied in-person. The process took 6 days - interviewed at Sephora in September 2014.

The whole process started because I was in Sephora inside jc Penney one day on a Friday and ended up talking to the beauty leader and asked if they were hiring. He said that they were and asked questions such as if I was comfortable touching people's faces, availability and if I have any experience... I do, but it's very little. He loved me and told me to either go to the kiosk or go home and apply online. He gave me his card and told me to call him right after I submit my application, so he can pull it. I called him and he said he was going to pull it, but he was about to get off and would be on vacation until Tuesday, so expect a call on that day. Like clockwork, Tuesday came and my phone rang. It was him asking if I was available the next day for a group interview.

I got to jcp that Wednesday for my group interview and they were expecting about 6 applicants that they called to show up. Only 3 of us were there when it was interview time which was fine with me because my chances were that much better! (1 girl showed up about 10 minutes late and they sent her away... So BE ON TIME!) The interview panel consisted of Sephora's Beauty Leader, jcp's HR manager and Sephora's Education Leader.

I felt like it was more of a group conversation than an interview. It was actually pretty fun and easy. There weren't really any unexpected questions. They were all standard customer service and sales questions. I'll list some of the questions below.

All in all, it was a good experience and it all happened pretty fast. I inquired about the job on Friday and had the job on Wednesday.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work at Sephora?   View Answers (2)
    • Explain a good and bad experience as a customer and your opinion or stance on the company after your experience?   View Answer
    • Explain a bad experience with someone you worked with and how it was resolved?   View Answer
    • How would you deal with a difficult customer?   View Answer
    I didn't try to negotiate. They offered $11 to start and I accepted because I don't have much experience.

Cashier Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Sephora in September 2012.

I applied online for every available position. The process took a while at first. I began submitting applications about 6 months before I actually got a call back. Once I got a call from the manager, the process was seamless. We set up a time to meet the following week at Panera. I'm not sure if interviews are usually don off site, but the store I interviewed for isn't open yet. The store manager was already there- I showed up about 15 minuted early, and we talked as we waited for the assistant manager to arrive. The interview itself was very low-key, and it felt more like a conversation with friends than an interview. We talked product and talked about the company. They both gave me and opportunity to ask any questions I may have. I asked how long they had been with the company which they both seemed to appreciate.

Interview Questions
    • The first question I was asked was what my favorite products were.   View Answer

Personal Beauty Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Tracy, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tracy, CA (US)

I applied online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Sephora in September 2014.

Would love to share my excellency in this kind of field to guide women to they're daily basis life just to add more a little glimpse of hope to see and hold that self esteem ,high and feel confident in every aspect of they're daily life

Interview Questions
    • A customer really want to see what beauty products stands for   View Answer
    I would give which product best compliment their skin and match to they're color and really fits to their own unique beauty that way they will see good and fabulous results in they're own best interest

Sephora Product Consultant Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Sephora in August 2014.

Let me start by saying Sephora is my "dream retail" job. I applied a few times to Sephora (both a standalone and JCP) and honestly did not remember applying lately, but got a random call one morning from the Sephora inside JCP asking if I could call back - that they wanted to speak with me. I called when the store opened and one of the hiring managers asked if she could conduct a phone interview, so I said sure. It was pretty basic, only about thirteen minutes long and she only asked questions about my availability, retail experience, and why I was interested in Sephora. Then she scheduled a one-on-one interview a few days later. I didn't get asked any tough or trick questions, it seemed more like she was just trying to get to know me and my personality. She went through the basics of the company, the policies, the uniforms, etc. and asked about my availability and education, etc. again. It was only around a half an hour and she just told me I would hear from her. She didn't give any dates, and it's been a week. I've learned from others that it takes a while for Sephora to call back with an offer, but given that it is a low-volume store I don't think I will be getting an offer. It was still a nice experience!

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Beachwood, OH (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Beachwood, OH (US)

The process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at Sephora in July 2014.

Just finished my 4 th interview, hopefully I will hear something soon . Same questions asked during all of the interviews and all of the interviews were on the evening. On my second interview the manager had to eat lunch before interviewing me.

Product Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  West Des Moines, IA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Des Moines, IA (US)

I applied online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Sephora in October 2013.

Worked at the Sephora Inside JCPENNEY; you are essentially interviewing for JCP, so they call you usually for a group interview and then they hire everyone, kind of no process to it at all....

Interview Questions
    • You go around the store and talk about how you would sell to a customer, in a different department such as mens or childrens, if you are a salesperson its quite easy.   View Answer
    No negotiation, they brought us into a room and one by one they told us we were hired and here's x amount of dollars, i was unemployed at the time so any money was better than no money. Not a wage i would want to raise a family on.

Store Director Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Sephora.

Overall I had a good experience interviewing with the Store Director and the District Manager. They had a structured interview process with standard retail questions.
    They shared good information on how the organization works.

Beauty Advisor Interview

Sephora can contact you via E-mail and/or phone which is great! They did a quick interview with me and then asked if I could come in for a group interview. The group interview was with a few other people and it seemed as if I was competing with the other two candidates. Questions or behavior and scenario-type questions tailored to the Sephora environment. The interviewers were friendly and professional. The other employees will look at you to see who are possibly their next co-workers, but I perceived them to be curious, but friendly vibes.
    Depending on the position, they warn you that you could go through few interviews and the process can take a bit of time. It was a pleasant experience as far as interviewers go, and I was lucky to be interviewed by a friendly management team.

Interview Questions
    • Without being too specific, the most complicated question concerned customer service within profitable business operations.   View Answer
    Review salaries on glassdoor.com and be honest with yourself as to how much you truly deserve to be paid. Also, it seems Sephora starts their minimum wage at a higher rate than the other retail stores I applied to.

Color Expert (Makeup Consultant) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Cherry Hill, NJ (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cherry Hill, NJ (US)

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Sephora in October 2013.

After the initial group interview I was called back for a makeup demo.
    After arriving I was taken back and interviewed by the store manager. Basic questions...style influences, interests, career goals, etc.
    I was then taken out to the floor and stood there as the manager asked several customers for makeup application demo by me. After 5 minutes he selects a woman who did not seem at all interested or thrilled with the idea. As I was applying her makeup he was busy running around picking out make up and brushes for me to use. The technique I used required water to moisten the brush for liner. No water at the station...he goes to get some. This whole time I was talking to this lovely lady asking her what she did for a living, etc. I finished her look and was taken out into the mall and sat down. He told me my technique was good but I didn't talk to her. I told him I did and what I asked and her replies. He asked me more questions and said "Good luck, I will call you next week regardless , and let you know our decision". I never got a call. Maybe because I mentioned I was nervous.
    Since that time I have been in that store shopping and saw the same manager. He recognizes me but avoids me. He needs follow up with his interviews. Not professional at all.

Interview Questions
    • What didn't you like about working for your past employer? (loaded question)   Answer Question

Cashier Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Sephora.

Interview was a group interview and took a long time. Probably 8-10 girls. Asked everyone maybe 10-15 questions. Asked why I chose sephora? Read their mission online it'll really help.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time a co-worker asked you to bend the rules and what did you do?   Answer Question

Worked for Sephora? Contribute to the Community!