Sephora

Updated 18 Nov 2014
Updated 18 Nov 2014

2.5

Seasonal Cashier Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Sephora.

I got called for an interview the day after I applied. I get there 15 minutes before my interview time. Dressed in all black, makeup done (10k notes on tumblr so I was looking good lol jk). I tell the first girl I see that I'm here for an interview. She uses her headset and lets who ever it is know I'm here. I hang out for a while and after 30 minutes I'm like oh maybe the interviewer is running late. After an hour I ask the same girl again what's going on. She asks around and tells me to stand by the register. Two people come to me and ask if I'm here for an interview. I say yes. They half heartedly apologize. One of them says that she thinks they didn't know they even had an interview scheduled today. I get an email saying thank you for coming in but we're going to go with someone else more qualified. I was so confused since I haven't even been interviewed. Ten minutes later a woman comes out and asks me if I've been here the whole time. I said yes. She said she sent me that email since she thought I never showed up. She apologized. They had already done the group interview. We go outside the store and she interviews me for 5 minutes. Basic interview questions. Why do I want to work there, the perfume situation, my favorite and worst manager and why. She tells me to take out of my mind that I will be doing makeup. She says it in a rude way. I don't know if she meant it to come out like that. But that's how I took it. She asked me if I needed any time off to tell her now (seasonal position) I say no. She says she's going to put me back in the system and to ignore the email she sent me. And that's it. Like two weeks later (yesterday) I was at work. I'm a cashier. I recognize a woman that I always see at sephora. I say hey don't you work at sephora? She says yes then I ask her what she does. She is the manager there. I explain to her what happened. She was shocked. It turns out she was the one that called me for my interview. She asked me for my name and said she was going to give me a call tomorrow. She never did. I know she was busy and I'm not her #1 priority but why would she say that and not do it? I honestly didn't think this would happen. I've been trying to work there for almost 2 years. I was so sure I was going to get the job. I turned down an amazing opportunity because I knew there was a possibility I could work there. Now I'm too embarrassed to even show my face in there. Looks like I'm going to be going to sephora jcp from now on. I like to think its a sign that I should be somewhere better. I don't mean to make sephora look bad or the people there look bad but I didn't expect this to happen to me. I'll be giving mac a shot. Wish me luck and I hope your sephora experience is better than mine. If I end up getting called back, I will be saying thanks but no thanks.

Seasonal Cashier Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Sephora in November 2014.

Applied online, got a call for an interview about 8 days later. Interviewed the following day. The interview was very short, kind of informal but I just assumed it was because the store was so busy and because it's a seasonal cashier position. Asked the basic questions - whats customer service to you? What can you bring to Sephora? What was your last/most recent job like? It took about 15 minutes overall. I think I waited more to meet with the hiring manager than how long the actually interview took place. Called the following Monday because I needed to tell my job at school that I would be unable to work for them. Was offered the position. Overall very fast and easy process.

Cashier Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Sephora.

the interview id say was great , 5-6 other girls and all got to say what we wanted, did a small demo and got called immediately for a second interview , the very next day got hired and went to an orientation. It was so much fun!! I loved the experience and the knowledge they gave us! For the onboard , it was 12-4 and it felt like an hour! I love this job, this is an awesome company to work for

Interview Questions
    • Name a time when you went above and beyond with a client.   Answer Question

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Sephora in November 2014.

I applied on a Friday night then I got a call on Monday, so pretty fast. My interview was on Wednesday, so 2 days later. I got to sephora pretty early. I was the first one there. So at exactly 2, the store specialist took me and another down to the resting area in the mall to interview us; one girl came late. The store specialist was cool and so was the store director. Then they started to interview us. I was kind of nervous but it was that bad since it was a group. Sometimes i went first because no one knew who should go first so we took turns. The interview was pretty quick only like 30 minutes. So at the end they told us that they will be calling our references & we will meet the following wednesday I believe for a more in depth one-on-one & most like training because Black Friday is 2 days away.

Seasonal Cashier Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Sephora in November 2014.

Got called in to do the first interview witch is a group interview. It was about 5 girls including myself. The managers seemed pretty nice. The questions were general questions they ask you on any other job. They gave everyone a chance to speak so it wasn't any jumping to answer first.

Interview Questions
    • If you own a store and someone buys a perfume and they drop it and it shatters. What would you do ?   Answer Question

I applied online – interviewed at Sephora.

The group interview and only question for everyone to talk about what you can bring to sephora. I will say people here have much more makeup experience as expected. So, please exaggerate your experience related to this area and it will help you more.

Cosmetic Sales Makeup Artist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Natick, MA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Natick, MA (US)

I applied online – interviewed at Sephora.

I applied online via website; was called by two different locations for interviews; told to call the store which was farther away to disqualify me, in order to be considered at the closer location. I called the "manager" back ASap & was given a next-day in person, at store interview. Interview lasted 30 min or so. Seemed to go very well; I used all interview skills I've learned in how to obtain (almost) any job. I was told I'd get a call "No later than Monday, four days later, to "follow up". Was not given any call. It wasn't until I checked my email, that I was told "We hired someone that better met job requirements" (Then why was I scheduled an interview 1 day after contacting them back)? Very rude company. I'd stay away from this elitist philosophy. Unless you're into selling "black magic" eyeliner & "book of shadows" eye shadow palettes. (It's true, see official website). They seem to have a specific criteria for employees, which has nothing to do with work ethic, experience, & ALL to do with the exterior. I'm done wasting my money on their "cake up". I'm a very outgoing, "naturally beautiful" YOUNG woman (25) with retail AND cosmetic certification!! I'm complimented daily for my wide, doll eyes, high cheekbones, long heathy brown hair, slim 5'9, 120 lb toned figure & 34D (silicone augmentation), long legs & torso, & very arched neat brows. So, anyone looking to work there, I wouldn't waste even the time to fill out app!!

Interview Questions
    • "What do you feel separates sephora from its "competitors"?   View Answer

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Sephora.

Interview went great! It was a group interview. There were two other girls along with myself. They asked a question and we took turns answering. It was a little weird because you felt like you were trying to one-up the other girls answers, especially if you weren't the first person to speak, however, I felt the interview went really great and smoothly. I was lucky enough to have two great girls that were conducting the interview and they made the interview process seem really relaxed and fun.

Interview Questions
    • None of the questions were that difficult. If you've done interviews before, you will have no problem during the interview with answering the questions. Pretty generic, "Where do you see yourself in ___ years?", "Why do you want to work for Sephora?", etc.   Answer Question

Seasonal Cashier Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Sephora.

I read reviews here and talked with my friends who are employees, so I felt confident about my chances. The group interview lasted about an hour, and there were four candidates to two hiring personnel. The questions were standard interview fare: what about your last job, the perfume bottle question, how would you handle someone asking you to be dishonest on the job, who was your favorite/least favorite employer and why. We were in the employee locker room on stools around a high table. It was awkward, and the interviewers did not make follow up replies or ask questions to help develop our answers. It was agonizingly awkward. Luckily I got my rejection email just a few minutes after I left.

Seasonal Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Sephora.

I honestly don't know how to describe my experience other than the fact that it was disorganized and it took a while . I applied online and I wait for two weeks and never got a reply so when I learned that they were having a job fair , I took matters into my own hands and attended. I went to the career fair and had two on spot interviews . First one was pretty simple in that they only asked my availability and why I wanted to work at sephora etc . Then I was asked to wait for another interviewer to become available to interview me . The second interview was pretty in depth . She asked questions about my previous employer , a time I went above and beyond in customer service etc. When It was finished I was told that I would be hearing from them in the next day or two and we would go from there . But obviously I never heard from them . So I took matters into my own hands again and called them . The hiring manager who interviewed me was not in that day so I decided to wait a few more days and then call again . When I did call again , my interviewer has left to go on vacation . Not knowing what to do , I asked if I could leave my number and have someone else from management contact me . But obviously no one called me back . So I waited another week to call in so my interviewer would be back and called in . Immediately she apologized because they had lost my application and interview answers . She then helped me make an appointment for another interview the following Thursday. Come Thursday I had another interview will another manager where she asked questions like what type of management do you think you work well in , tell me about a time someone wanted you to do something against company policy ,etc. I guess she liked my answers because I then had a demo interview in which me and a sephora staff role played and pretended to be sephora cashier and customer . I was such a nervous wreck but I guess I did something right because they called me an hour later to tell me that I got the job ! Later that night , they sent me a email with a link to all the paper work and forms that I need to sign and after I filled them all out , they called me the following morning to tell me about when I would start training . The process was long and a little disorganized but sometimes you just need to take matters into your own hands and show the company your initiative and things will go your way I promise !

Wardrobe for interview :

Red Blazer , Black blouse , Black dress pants , and heals

Makeup :

Simple brown smokey eye . Bold red lip

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you accomplished something at work   View Answer