Sephora Interview Questions

Updated 20 Oct 2014
Updated 20 Oct 2014

2.5

Senior Financial Analyst Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Sephora.

Simple - 3 rounds of interviews (2 in the office). Went through a recruiter and then had a phone interview with HR. Then i had a half day of in office interviews one on one. Lastly, i met with he head of the team one on one.

Beauty Advisor Interview

The process took a dayinterviewed at Sephora.

The interview was with five girls all applying for the same position. We sat in a circle and they asked questions regarding team work and how we dealt with customers. Also when was a time you had a difficult customer?

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Sephora.

Applied online, heard back from them about two weeks later; they invited me to a group interview which consisted of 5 other girls. General manager asked us about our past jobs, why we would like to work at sephora, and what customer service means to us. All in all, the interview last about 50 minutes, she had then informed us we would receive a call the following week if we fit the criteria. About 3 days later, I received a call from the director asking me to come in for the second interview; this was a one on one. The interview it self was pretty straight forward and super easy, he asked similar questions as the general manager did. He told me that they would be checking my references and I would get a call if everything checked out.

Heres where things get sticky, the HR recruiter chose to call my references on a holiday. I had informed them before hand that they would have to call in the morning. When i called to check in, just to make sure she was able to contact my references, they informed me that she wasn't able to get through. But its complete bs, 2 of the 3 references had informed me that they received no call at all. Super annoying, but the HR recruiter had no interest in speaking with me, I had to pass the message along by another employer from that store.
    One of my references did call the store, but they didn't put her through with the HR recruiter.

The store itself is great, so were the manager and director. But the last part of the interview stage can break it or make it; make sure you put down references that will pick up the phone at a moments notice.

Seasonal Cashier Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Sephora.

The process took less than a week. I applied online and got a phone call the next day to schedule an interview. I couldn't do the first day she suggested so I did the following day ( so it must mean there was another day/round of interviews before me). I wasn't told it'd be a group interview but it ended up being me and another girl. I wore black dress skinny pants, black silk tank with a black cardigan over. Both the other girl and I were dressed in all black. As for makeup, I applied a smokey eye and a bold cat eye. I had to wait an extra ten minutes but the interviewer was really nice and was really good at making the interview really casual and conversation-like (definitely didn't feel competitive). The questions were pretty basic, but surprisingly very few were customer service scenarios. Instead, I got questions like 1) What stores have the best displays and why, 2) What do you think about structure in the work place, 3) Have you ever had problems with your boss/co -workers, 4) Tell me about your last job, 5) How would you promote a discount event to a VIB Rouge customer. We were both offered an invite to the 2nd round of interviews on the spot, which took place a few days later.

For the 2nd interview, I was dressed in a black shift dress that is similar to the current uniform, with black tights and ankle boots. I applied soft eye makeup with a bold cat eye and a coral lip. Even though the other girl did get offered a 2nd interview with me, she didn't come for a reason I'm unaware of. I interviewed with a woman higher up this time and she was also very warming but I could tell she was really tired. This time I got the questions 1) [repeat] Have you ever had problems with a boss/co-worker, 2) Tell a time you experienced really good customer service, 3) Tell a time you went above and beyond for a customer, 4) What are some things that make a good shift/worker, 5) What do you plan to do in the future, 6) What did you like best/least about your last job, 7) what is something good and bad your previous employers would say about you. Throughout the interview, I was worried that the interviewer was uninterested because she yawned a few times, but at the end she told me that she and the first interviewer were really excited to get me aboard but she would have to touch base with her first and that I should hear back within the next few days. I got a call the next day with an offer and I took it.

I surprisingly didn't get any questions about the broken perfume bottle, interacting with difficult clients, why Sephora, what do you know about Sephora, or "what would you do, if..." scenarios. Also, I'm almost positive, they WILL call your references so make sure to put down ones that really know you and would speak highly of you without hesitation.

Overall, emphasize how important it is for an employee to be able to work at the cashwrap (can give a good lasting impression no matter what happens out on the floor), customer service over interest in makeup, and your opinion that Sephora is a long term career.

Interview Questions
    They gave what I wanted, so I didn't bother to negotiate.

Beauty Advisor Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Sephora.

I applied to multiple store locations. One store sent an email for an invitation to a Sephora job fair, 2 called extending invitations for group interviews, and another also sent an email asking me to go in to speak with a manager about opportunities (they just asked for basic information such as availability and basic interview questions for further consideration for a group interview).
    Basic interview questions - past work experience, customer service experiences & expectations, etc.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if a customer broke a bottle of perfume shortly after purchasing?   Answer Question

Cashier Interview

Interview was easy. There was a group interview setting with the assistant store manager. There was a guide that she went by to ask questions. Mostly were related to what would you do in various situations with clients and cast. The same day we interviewed with the store director. All interviews took place outside of the store, due to lack of space backstage. Fortunately it was holiday hiring season and we were hired the same day.

Beauty Advisor Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Sephora in October 2014.

I applied online, via the JC Penney website, and the process gets a little weird at the end- I wasn't sure if the application had been submitted, so I went in to ask if it had gone through, and was asked to leave my name and number by an employee who turned out to be the hiring manager. She didn't give me any sort of impression that she was the manager, so that was kind of weird. I finally got a call a month later for what turned out to be a group interview. I felt like my panel of interviewers were disinterested from the get-go (literally from my first answer and for the rest of the interview). They had us pick an item from a basket and "sell" it to them, which made no sense to me because I have never had a beauty advisor at a sephora pitch me a product. Maybe I misunderstood the job role- I thought the job was being knowledgeable in order to provide guidance and help people find products they'd love, not pitch products until something sticks.

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Sephora in October 2014.

I applied for the seasonal sales associate position in mid August, and got a phone call at the end of September.

The interview consisted of four stages:
    1. Mini phone interview with store manager (10 mins)
    -why do you want to work at Sephora
    -where do you see yourself in the company in 5 years
    -what was the best Christmas present you've ever gotten and why
    -what is your availability
    -scheduled for group interview (next day)

2. Group interview with education lead & operations specialist (6 people interviewed including myself). The interview was very laid back and fun. We sat in a semi-circle and went around taking turns who was answering first. The whole process was about an hour.

Questions:
    -introduction + fun fact about yourself
    -why did you leave your last job
    -how would your last employer describe you (one word)
    -what was your last company's core value and how did it align with your own values
    -what section of the store do you want to work in and where do you see yourself in 5 years
    -describe a time where you delivered excellent customer service
    -describe a time when you received excellent customer service at sephora
    -how would you describe yourself (one word) and why
    -if you sold a perfume to a customer and she came back ten mins later with a broken bottle, and said she dropped it, what would you do
    -questions

I got a phone call 10 days after the group interview, and was asked to do a demo in a week. The lead told me she was going to contact my references. Next day I heard from my current supervisor that she had received a phone call from Sephora.

3. Demo (only if you applied for the color world)
    I had to give a "customer", actually one of the case members, a mini makeover (one feature). The products were laid out in front of me and I had to help her find her perfect lipstick. The whole process was about twenty minutes. The key to this part is sanitation, engaging the customer and strong closure. Make sure you ask LOTS of questions to the client and be super friendly. And when the client likes the product, make sure to compliment her and go grab the product right away.

The lead who was interviewing me told me what she liked about my demo and what I could improve on. She then told me that she would contact me whether I get the job or not. I got the offer 3 days later.

The whole process was fairly long (3 weeks and felt like forever) but it was very laid back and enjoyable.

Interview Questions
    • What was the best customer service experience you have received at Sephora   Answer Question

Seasonal Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)

This was my second time interviewing with Sephora, but at a different location. I can now tell you that interviewing at Sephora is different at each location and what the managers want and expect from you can vary. At this specific location that I last interviewed at, we were told they were hiring for both seasonal and permanent positions. I would've been happy to accept either offer, but I thought it was strange that they tell you it can be seasonal and then in the next breath go on to tell you that they don't just want people who love makeup, they want someone who can make a career at Sephora and be there long-term. I'm not sure how they expect that from someone applying for a seasonal position. As usual, it was a group interview where everyone volunteers to answer the questions they ask. Lasted for about an hour and 15 minutes.

Interview Questions
    • What were your previous jobs and what did you do?
      What do you like and what don't you like about a manager?
      What makes a good work environment?
      What position would you feel most comfortable working as?
        View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied online – interviewed at Sephora in October 2014.

Applied online, the next day I went at the store and submitted my resume. After 2 days the manager called me for an interview. It was pretty basic since I worked at macys before so there were similar questions to customers and how would you treat them. Make sure you have open availability for seasonal positions because they look for that. The manager said I would hear from her in a couple of days since she's interviewing other candidates as well. I received the call, the next day for an interview with the store manager. Same basic questions. I believe she just asked me what's my availability was. Then she offered me the job. I was offered a very high starting pay since I used to make minimum at macys. Very pleased. Friendly interviewing process and it took only a week.