Sherwin-Williams Interview Questions

Updated 14 Sep 2014
Updated 14 Sep 2014

2.6

Summer Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Sherwin-Williams.

All questions were fairly simple and project related. Good part was that they allowed me to ask them some questions about the kind of work I will get to do.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Sherwin-Williams.

I found out about the job by a sign in the window of the store. I walked in and asked for an application. easy enough. I got a call a few days later and met with the store manager the same day. Basic interview questions were asked but it genuinely seemed like the manager cared about my personal life and not just what I was on paper. got the job and spent 2 years with the company. would work for them again.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if someone wanted a product that you had committed to another customer but that customer had not come to pick it up yet?   Answer Question
    I did negotiate and started $1 more an hour. They were quite reasonable.

Part Time Sales Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Sherwin-Williams.

Very relaxed, felt like I was talking to someone who wanted me there to begin with. Lucked out by going in at the right time and asking for a job. Although had some pre knowledge due to having odd jobs that needed me to visit that store frequently.

Didn't feel the need to

Management Training Program (MTP) Interview

Pretty straight forward interview. From the beginning it seemed the interviewer didn't like me and had the feeling that I wouldn't get an offer. He seemed disinterested and asked some off the wall questions.

Management Training Program (MTP) Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Sherwin-Williams.

I was contacted by a recruiter about their Management Trainee Program. First interview was with an HR rep where I was asked the basic first interview questions. Second step was an in-store visit to two stores in my area where they provided me a list of questions to ask both the Manager and the Assistant Manager to get a feel for what they do. Third step was an interview in person with the District Manager. There were questions asking what I thought I could bring to the company, how I have handled a difficult situation with the "co-worker" of some sort, and what are your future goals.

Great company, awesome pay and the best people co-workers but be ready to pick up your life to move where they want you. Also you will most likely work every weekend as an Assistant Manager.

Interview Questions
    • I had done a lot of research on interviewing so there was no question that was particularly difficult.   Answer Question
    There wasn't one.

Full Time Sales Associate Interview

The interview processes that I have been involved in have been fairly casual and straight forward. It always looks good to dress professionally. You will usually do one o two interviews, one with the store manager, and if they consider you, one with the DM. It also looks good if you show interest in continuing your career with Sherwin-Williams, or if you are a woman or a minority. Because SW is mostly white males, they are eager to hire women and minorities who are interested in the field.

Interview Questions
    • What are your biggest strengths/ weaknesses in regards to working in the store?   Answer Question

Store Manager Interview

Making sure the individual is comfortable as possible, by doing so it can help them answer questions and get a better understanding of the job. Also making sure the candidate is professional and presentable.

Store Manager Interview

Posted to an internal job posting, which was followed by a call to inform me I would be interviewed by the hiring manager. The interview took about a hour to a hour and half upon which I was informed I would be notified shortly of his/her decision. I was offered the position within a couple of days with my asking salary and I accepted

n/a

Management Training Program (MTP) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Seattle, WA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Sherwin-Williams.

Very straight-forward and friendly process! Three interviews: 1.) phone interview w/ recruiter 2.) Store interview with store manager and assistant manager 3.) Face-to-face interview with City Manager and District Manager

The phone interview was about 30 minutes, questions were STAR format that had a lot to do with customer-service. Just prepare several "stories" about how you've done well in a sales/customer-service/management environment and be able to tell them in a way that makes you seem warm and professional. Recruiter also emphasizes whether you're open to relocation - so be open with them about your expectations.

The store interview is when you go in an learn more about the position. They go over the different responsibilities, from warehouse safety, sales, operations, and inventory management. Recruiter will email a worksheet with questions to ask the Store Manager - mostly about the different responsibilities and expectations. From my experience, the Store Manager didn't ask me anything about my past work-experience (they were busy!). I felt he was mostly gauging my interest in the job and whether it would be something I would want to do.

Final interview is at the District Office with the City Manager and District Manager. They went through my resume and asked me about my work experience. They also spent a good amount of time going over the opportunities and culture. They didn't ask any STAR questions (I was kinda bummed, I had prepared a lot!), but they mostly were gauging my personality and whether it would be a fit.

From my experience, everyone was overwhelmingly friendly. You can tell this is a good company to work for.

Interview Questions
    • Name an instance when you've turned a negative customer-service experience into a good one.

Name a time when you've been part of a group where someone wasn't pulling their weight and what you did about it.
        Answer Question
    Set salary

STM - Assistant Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Sherwin-Williams.

This is a company where there is a lack of diversity. If you are a minority, you will get interviewed. But good luck with the interview process. This isn't a company that values diversity and it isn't a global company. To be honest, being a minority and working for this company would have been nothing but disappointments. Literally playing the role of Rosa Parks in a company like this isn't a battle worth taking on top of daily work stress. Politics would be a challenge you can't take on.

Worked for Sherwin-Williams? Contribute to the Community!