Social Security Administration

www.ssa.gov

Social Security Administration Claims Representative Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Jul 15, 2014

Average Difficulty
11 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Lake Orion, MI (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Social Security Administration in June 2014.

Interview Details I read all the reviews on this website regarding the interview and I seem to be the only one who went on 2 interviews for the same position. The 1st interview was fairly standard behavior-based questions (you can go to the OPM website to see what these questions are). Specific questions were, "Tell me about a time you had to deal with a difficult customer, how did you handle them and what was the result?" What would you do if someone who spoke another language came into the office, how would you direct that client, as you two cannot understand one another?", "Tell me about the most stressful time in your life" "How do you prioritize?" I detailed the 2nd interview questions in the next section. But overall, great experience! There were 5 interviewers, I was fingerprinted immediately following the interview. I would ensure that you know what SSI/SSDI is and why you want the position. I have interviewed for almost a dozen federal agencies and this was the 1st 1 that seem to really appreciate passion and that is why I was hired. Know the claims process, you can read about the process through this website on Glassdoor. You don't have to give perfect responses, but you definitely have to demonstrate that you have empathy, direction, leadership and motivation.

Interview Question – The 2nd interview involved Situational-Based questions (which was more challenging). You can find these on the OPM website, however they are going to be completely different depending on the agency. The interviewers gave me a paragraph regarding SSA and I had to do a scenario where I explained the benefits to the interviewer and you only have 5 minutes to determine what you are going to say. The interviewer responded by saying, "Well what if I'm not permanently disabled and I will be out of work for 6 months, how am I going to live?" They also asked me questions regarding legal documentation. The scenario was this guy believed he was the biological father of this child, so the interviewers wanted to know what type of documents were needed to prove that the child was his.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The person who hired me told me that because of my Bachelor degree, prior federal experience as a GS-9, and my VRA, VEOA, and veteran Preference that I would start as a GS-9 Step 3. There was a negotiation because I was not going to take a GS-7 when I had relatable experience.

Claims Representative

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Social Security Administration.

Interview Details I had to apply online. I was contacted about two weeks after the posting was closed. Prior to the interview, I was given a form to fill out asking about the basic programs Social Security offers. The interview was conducted by three people- a manager & two supervisors. They asked me about my work experience, education and if I had experience dealing with the public. The interview lasted aboutan hour. I was contacted teo months later with a job offer.

Interview Question – They asked how I would help a customer in another language. I told them that at my prior employer, we used a phone service that provides interpreters so if that option was available at SSA, I would do the same. However, if not, I would try to find a bilingual coworker for assistance.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiations. Salary is ranked based on education & work experience. Masters degree applicants had the highest available starting salary at about 50k.

Claims Representative

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Social Security Administration in April 2014.

Interview Details Fairly standard behavior questions...describe a time when you had to deal with "X", what actions you took, and the outcome. The interview was conducted in a panel setting with three management representatives taking turns asking the questions. Overall the interview was conducted in a relaxed setting and more of a conversation tone than an adversarial format.

Interview Question – Describe a difficult situation you faced, the actions you took, and the outcome.   Answer Question

Baltimore, MD (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Social Security Administration in March 2014.

Interview Details The hiring process took approximately 2 months. I submitted an online application and was contactd within one month. The interview was a panel with about 8 behavioral questions lasted for an hour or so. The atmosphere was good and relaxed. A couple days later I was asked to come in for fingerprints and a month later I was presented with an offer.

Interview Question – The questions were mostly about experience and education.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation.

Claims Representative

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Social Security Administration.

Interview Details Applied on usajobs.gov. Received a call month later to come in for a panel interview. Interview was very structured including behavioral and situational questions( an hour long). Received a call to come in for fingerprints a couple of days later.

Interview Question – The most stressful situation in your life.   Answer Question

New York, NY (US)

I applied online - interviewed at Social Security Administration in April 2014.

Interview Details I was interviewed last week Thursday by a supervisor and a director. They were both nice and I felt really relaxed and at ease. They said they will give me 2 interview questions & 4 situations I need to answer( there's no right or wrong for the situation questions) . I was told it can take 3-6 months to hear from them. This process last about 30 mins. Then I was taken to a different floor for fingerprinting. I'm so anxious I want to hear from them but I know I have to wait, hopefully they will call me before to tell me my results.

Interview Question – If a mom comes in with her 3 small children who are not behaving and I'm not able to conduct the interview, what would I do?   View Answers (2)

Buffalo, NY (US)

I interviewed at Social Security Administration in February 2013.

Interview Details Not the best organization in the interview. Seemed to rely heavily on a script.

Reason for Declining – Got another offer. I would rather do something else.

Columbus, OH (US)

I applied through another source and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Social Security Administration in March 2009.

Interview Details I originally was an intern for two colleges during the summer. When I graduated I asked about potential openings and was notified they were hiring.

Interview Question – What is the most difficult challenge you have faced, and how did you overcome it.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation as salaries are set by the union and federal government.

Saint Louis, MO (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Social Security Administration in January 2010.

Interview Details The aptitude test was very difficult and I understood that out of 240 people taking it, only 40 people passed it. The interview was much harder. They gave me the wrong office number (I think on purpose) and there was no one in the lobby to redirect me and they were not listed on the plaque of offices either. Then, when I got there four people were in the room. There was one who was totally silent, one good cop, one bad cop, and one who tried to illicit responses. All took notes. Bad cop pounced on me right out of the gate making me believe that I should show no empathy with SSI applicants - then, at the end one did a poor acting job as a turned down applicant and I was supposed to respond. It was all a sham. They also ask what do you do if someone who is repeatedly turned down for SSI and threatens to commit suicide to you? What do you do if you work in a gas station and there is a non-perishable food delivery out back, a long line of customers, you need to call another worker to come help - in what order do you deal with this? Many silly questions, and they were passing inside jokes after I gave some of my answers- don't ever say that you will send a memo out to communicate something with coworkers- they really joked about that. I felt like I had been through some type of strange psychological experiment when it was done, and I don't think I would want to work for any of the people in that room, except for maybe the bad actor. I imagine it is a good job, but SSA is going broke quickly- it may only be a five or ten year job anyway.

Interview Questions

• If someone who is repeatedly turned down for benefits and threaten to commit suicide, what do you do?   Answer Question
  • A client with three kids d who are behaving wildly cannot pay attention to what you are telling him/her, what do you do?   Answer Question

Claims Representative

I applied through another source and the process took a day - interviewed at Social Security Administration in March 2010.

Interview Details I interviewed by phone with several people. Although some of the questions were difficult and challenging, the people were very friendly and answered my questions thoroughly.

Interview Question – Describe how you are able to manage stressful situations and juggle multiple priorities at the same time.   Answer Question

Worked for Social Security Administration? Contribute to the Community!