Social Security Administration Interview Questions

Updated Sep 10, 2014

2.8

Benefit Authorizer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jamaica, NY (US)

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Social Security Administration in August 2014.

Applied on USA jobs.gov, called for an interview a month later. It was an easy interview, long though took about 3 hours. Had a panel interview with two managers and filled out personal questionnaire relating to characteristics, credentials, goals and aspirations.

Interview Questions
    • How would you explain or communicate with a customer who couldn't speak English?   Answer Question

Legal Administrative Specialist (Benefit Authorizer) (Recent Graduates) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jamaica, NY (US)

I applied online. The process took 8 weeks - interviewed at Social Security Administration in August 2014.

I applied online on July 10. I got a phone call on Aug 25 to schedule an interview. The interview took place on Aug 27. The interviewer asked me to fill out brief verification paperworks and a questionnaire. The interviewed requested a copy of my resume and list of references. Additionally, the manager discussed about the position in detail. Discussed about possible growth within the company and the work environment. The training session will take approximately 8 months.

I was taken to speak to a current employee to give me a brief rundown of how a regular work day is for him/her. It was very enjoyable and helped me better understand the position.

The interviewer contacted my references the following day on Aug 28. The interviewer told me that they are in the process of hiring 17-20 employees and that if I don't hear back the end of September then I am not selected. They would like to begin the training session in October.

At the end of the interview, they brought me to finger print and all else was fine. Overall, the process took around 3 hours.

Interview Questions
    • I was interviewed with two panelists (Managers). There were 8-9 questions and are mainly situational questions on how you'll handle when something goes wrong while assisting with a client. The questions were brief. You are to answer using your past/present personal experience or something you encountered in school or current work. If they take a lot of notes then that is good news.   Answer Question

Teleservice Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Chicago, IL (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL (US)

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Social Security Administration in August 2014.

The interview process was a calm atmosphere. I had two ladies interview me and they was very nice. They ask warm up questions then they ask the questions concerning the job. i have no complaints

Interview Questions
    • They had some difficulet questions but I answer them the best way i know how   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation about the salary

Claims Authorizer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Kansas City, MO (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO (US)

I applied online. The process took 8 weeks - interviewed at Social Security Administration in July 2014.

Applied Online, Received a Referral letter a couple of weeks later, Interviewed and took quiz. offered the Job. Whole process took less than 8 weeks. The interview consisted of 4 scenario based questions based on your past history. You are allowed to use previous work, College, or life scenarios. After the interview, they administered an 8 question quiz based on pieces of policy they provide. Its not hard, but make sure to read the policy carefully.

Interview Questions
    • Descirbe a Scenario in which you received criticism. How did you react? What was the Outcome?
      Describe a Scenario in which you were put in a situation in which you had to work with people from different backgrounds as yourself. How did you work together? What did you accomplish
        Answer Question
    None. You either qualify for a certain grade or you don't.

Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Cheyenne, WY (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cheyenne, WY (US)

I applied online. The process took 5 months - interviewed at Social Security Administration.

Applied online, was notifed I was referred a week after closing, was called for an phone interview two weeks later then an in person interview a week later. 5 months later was called to proceed with the background check, if background clears then will get an official offer from HR. Interview was easy but has been a very slow process.

Interview Questions
    • How do you comunicate with a individual who comes in and doesn't speak english and how do you idientify what language he/she may be speaking?   Answer Question
    Still waiting on the offical offer from HR but was told will be selected when background check clears.

Benefit Authorizer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jamaica, NY (US)

I applied through usajobs.gov in mid July and was call for an interview on 1st of August at Jamaica SSA Center in NY. Interview went really good (it took about 3 hrs). At the end i did the fingerprints and week after i was contacted by the interviewer for additional information verification (references) and since then nothing yet. I am kind of worried . Did anyone went for an interview the same time as me and was offered or denied?

Interview Questions
    • Have you ever dealt with difficult person, and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Claims Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Social Security Administration in August 2014.

Applied online at USA jobs, got referred within a week for a position at Fremont office. Scheduled an interview. They were right on time, 8 p.m EST, three people took started off by introducing themselves. Went very well, At times when they go silent, don't panic coz they're usually writing or preparing to ask the next question. I would wait for a response from them and update soon.
    The interviewers were very nice and patient after a long day of interviewing people, they said they have 4 more days to do it.
    I told them how i was getting back on my feet after being a stay at home mom for three years and they totally appreciated it that i was giving my time to my daughter.

Interview Questions
    • They Asked about 8 or 9 questions out of which some were occupational questions where they wanted me to relate the answer to a situation i've experienced at my job. Here are some questions they asked:
      1- Tell us about a situation where u overcame a challenge at work. They wanted me to really elaborate on it.
      2- How do u handle a stressful situation or tell us of a time when u experienced the most strew?
      3- Tell us of a time where you had a hard time communicating with your co-worker.
      4- Tell us about a time when you received a project and how did you plan it.
      5- A couple who is claiming to be married can show wat document to prove it.
      6- Tell us of a situation where you had a hard time communicating
      7-In the passed if you missed a deadline to submit a report or project. How did you handle it.
      8- Tell us about the most difficult decision in your life and how do you feel about it. Did you take advice from someone. (this could be personal or professional)
      9- This last question really made me ask if it was a real question. They asked what if the one thing i think i am a pro at, and if i have to teach it to them, how would i do it. This could be anything; ur hobby, cooking, baking, crafts, anything.
        Answer Question

Contact Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Birmingham, AL (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Birmingham, AL (US)

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Social Security Administration in June 2014.

I applied online the end of June and was called 2 weeks for a interview. Completed the panel interview and was then given 8 questions to answer with a short. Paragraph. Afterwards, was sent for fingerprints and background check. I was told that I were contacted within 2 to 4 weeks but never heard back from the organization.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if you have a customer that does not speak English? How do you handle difficult situations? What are your strengths and weaknesses?   Answer Question

Senior Case Technician Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Social Security Administration in June 2010.

My interview lasted about an hour. The questions were mainly related to the customer service. However, the first question was: tell me something about yourself. The last question was: why should I hire you?

Interview Questions
    • I do not recall any difficult questions during this interview.   Answer Question

Claims Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Lake Orion, MI (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lake Orion, MI (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Social Security Administration in June 2014.

I read all the reviews on this website regarding the interview and I seem to be the only one who went on 2 interviews for the same position. The 1st interview was fairly standard behavior-based questions (you can go to the OPM website to see what these questions are). Specific questions were, "Tell me about a time you had to deal with a difficult customer, how did you handle them and what was the result?" What would you do if someone who spoke another language came into the office, how would you direct that client, as you two cannot understand one another?", "Tell me about the most stressful time in your life" "How do you prioritize?" I detailed the 2nd interview questions in the next section. But overall, great experience! There were 5 interviewers, I was fingerprinted immediately following the interview. I would ensure that you know what SSI/SSDI is and why you want the position. I have interviewed for almost a dozen federal agencies and this was the 1st 1 that seem to really appreciate passion and that is why I was hired. Know the claims process, you can read about the process through this website on Glassdoor. You don't have to give perfect responses, but you definitely have to demonstrate that you have empathy, direction, leadership and motivation.

Interview Questions
    • The 2nd interview involved Situational-Based questions (which was more challenging). You can find these on the OPM website, however they are going to be completely different depending on the agency. The interviewers gave me a paragraph regarding SSA and I had to do a scenario where I explained the benefits to the interviewer and you only have 5 minutes to determine what you are going to say. The interviewer responded by saying, "Well what if I'm not permanently disabled and I will be out of work for 6 months, how am I going to live?" They also asked me questions regarding legal documentation. The scenario was this guy believed he was the biological father of this child, so the interviewers wanted to know what type of documents were needed to prove that the child was his.   Answer Question
    The person who hired me told me that because of my Bachelor degree, prior federal experience as a GS-9, and my VRA, VEOA, and veteran Preference that I would start as a GS-9 Step 3. There was a negotiation because I was not going to take a GS-7 when I had relatable experience.

Worked for Social Security Administration? Contribute to the Community!