Southwest Airlines

15 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Very Easy Interview

Saint Louis, MO (US)

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Southwest Airlines.

Interview Details Initially applied online -had a phone interview and days later a F2F, with the same recruiter. The F2F interview basically wanted to know how your previous exp related to interetest position. Your personality MUST be fitting w/ SWA! They are all about persnality and fun atmosphere.

Interview Question – None of the questions were hard! Or unexpected! At all.. just asked specifics about tell me about a time when, customer is not satisfied, what would you do type of questions.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – None, it's was already learned upon the phone interview.

Bwi Airport, MD (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Southwest Airlines in April 2014.

Interview Details Applied for FT Customer Service Rep at DCA, about a month and a half ago. Received a phone call to phone interview on 4/14. Phone interview was very easy! Majority questions about my previous work history. At the end of the phone interview I was asked to go to BWI for a F2F interview on 4/28.
*F2F*
The face to face interview was very easy as well. Interviewed with the recruiter who did my phone interview. The manager from DCA was also in the room but she didn't ask any questions, just listened. The interview was very fun and relaxed. The recruiter made me feel so comfortable because she was outgoing and enthusiastic. She asked about my work history again and asked behavioral questions as well. I answered all questions in star format. At the end of the interview the recruiter and manager from DCA stepped out to make a copy of my 2 forms of ID and college transcripts. When they stepped back in the room I was offered the job! Did my fingerprints and drug test the same day. Now all I'm waiting on is my background check to clear. (Not worried about that because I'm an angel lol) Does anybody know how long the background check process is? How long before training starts? I'm really anxious and excited to start :)!

Interview Question – How do you have fun at work?
How would you tell a customer no?
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Didn't try to negotiate.

Very Easy Interview

San Francisco, CA (US)

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Southwest Airlines in April 2014.

Interview Details Applied online, maybe a month later got an email asking to send resume and the best phone number to be reached at. The next morning I got a phone call with simple questions about my past work experience, why Southwest, and what do customer service agents do... I'm guessing to see if you know about the position you applied for. After that she said she would give me a call in a week to let me know because she had other interviews to do but to my surprise she called me back in a couple of hours to set up a F2F interview. The interview was for the following week and I had to bring my drivers license, social security card and GED. Was a one on one interview but there was the manager sitting in the room from the airport you would be working at. Was a little nervous because she didn't ask question but she looked at you the whole time while you answered questions. Once again simple questions like why Southwest, the time you had to deal with an angry customer, and the time you went out your way to help a co worker. She also went over my work experience again. Interview only lasted about 10mins, she then made copies of my papers and let me know either way if I got the job or not I would receive a email or a phone call letting me know. They held interviews the day before and would be doing it all day that day so nobody got a straight yes or no, its just a wait and see. Either a rejection email or a email asking you to come in for fingerprints and drug test. So now I just sit and wait and hope for the best. I want the job but so do 100s of other people. I have no idea how many people they want and what kinda people they are looking for.

Interview Question – I guess the only unexpected question was what was my weakness.. I had to really stop and think about it   Answer Question

Bwi Airport, MD (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Southwest Airlines in March 2014.

Interview Details I applied online for the position soon as I seen it on their website because they don't keep their jobs posted for long. I received a email about three days later asking if i was still interested in the position, I replied but didn't hear anything back for another two weeks. I got a email asking to set up a phone interview which I did. The phone interview was about 8 mins long, she first asked me about my past jobs just to find out they time of work i did there. Then she explained the position to me and the pay rate which is only $11 something to start and she said it will take about 11 years to reach $21. I wasn't to happy to hear that but she then went on to explain that when you first start you have no set schedule you will just get the days thats left after the senior employs pick their schedule. They do have a lot of overtime for this position. About a week later i got a email asking to set up a F2F interview which I did. It was just me and the lady that I have been communicating with, she said that they was short staff and thats why because its normally her and two others giving the F2F interview. The F2F went well we just talked about my past jobs and she asked me three questions. They were very easy questions like how do you have fun on the job, how do you go out your way for a customer and how do you deal with a angry customer. Im waiting to hear back to see if I will be moving on with the hiring process which is a background check for jobs, school and criminal.

Interview Question – Non of the questions was difficult just make sure you smile and be bubbly because thats what they are looking for.   Answer Question

Interviewed at Southwest Airlines

Interview Details they let unexperienced supervisors do the interviews

Houston, TX (US)

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Southwest Airlines in July 2011.

Interview Details The interview process was pretty straight forward. Filled out an online application, and received a call from an internal recruiter for a phone screening which lasted about 10 minutes. The interviewer asked standard questions about my work background and explained the basics of the job requirements. While still on the phone with me she asked me if I would be available for an in-person interview the following week.

The in person interview was with the station manager and two recruiters. They all asked standard questions about my background and work experience. They asked for lots of stories and examples of previous times you've solved a problem creatively, or dealt with an unhappy customer.

I think the most important thing to remember when interviewing for this position is to make sure you show your outgoing and fun personality. I know that interviewers disqualify people based on this. The culture at SWA is very important to the company, so make sure you prepare some fun/funny stories to impress on that end.

After the panel interview I went a couple weeks without hearing back, but was finally asked to fly to Dallas to be fingerprinted and have a drug screen at a local screening place.

Interview Question – Standard interview with no difficult questions, just be prepared with stories of past customer service experiences and be a bit bubbly.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. Union position, so you are on a standard pay scale. To start was $11.50 if I remember right.

Customer Service Agent

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Southwest Airlines.

Interview Details Hiring process is pretty simple. The thing with Southwest is so many people apply. They only post the jobs for a couple of hours once they post. Generally they email most of the applicants who are able to apply for the brief job posting for a phone interview. If the phone interview goes well they will actually call you back for a face to face interview. If the phone interview didn't go well or you weren't selected they will email you. If you are selected for the face to face it generally is a panel interview which is very relaxed. If they decides to select you they will ask to finger print you either then. If not they will let you know they are reviewing applicants and most likely you will receive a thanks but no thanks email.

Negotiation Details – Non negotiable Union

Linthicum, MD (US)

I applied online - interviewed at Southwest Airlines in May 2010.

Interview Details Job openings are posted around 5am & are taken down usually by 9am, when they've received the number of applicants whose resumes they can evaluate that day. When applying, if you don't answer the multiple-choice questions the way they want, you won't be considered for the position. A recruiter there actually told me to lie, just to get past the automated system's filter.
After you find an open listing, apply in time & answer the questions correctly, a recruiter will call you (within about 4-7 days) for a brief phone interview with extremely basic questions. After you pass that stage, you'll be emailed, asking that you go to the company's regional People Department for a formal interview. The People Department can be 100s of miles from the airport where you'd be working, & you (the applicant) are responsible for any costs or travel incurred because of the interview.
Next, you'll meet with a member of the People Department for a face-to-face interview. It's critical to be punctual, appear extremely upbeat, eager, & able to handle any challenges Southwest's customers could throw at you. It helps to remember the 3 values that Southwest prides themselves on: servant's heart, warrior spirit, & fun-loving attitude.
The recruiter didn't give any indication of whether or not he would recommend I be hired. I found out later that since the background check can take about 3 weeks, they don't tell you anything until they make sure you don't have a criminal past. Roughly 3 weeks after the interview, I got a call saying I was hired. They usually hire several people at once, so that they can all train together. They'll give you one or two dates to start on. I think the first one was about a week away. I said I needed to give my other job 2 weeks notice, so I took the 2nd start date that he mentioned. I was given the impression that if neither of the dates they offered worked for me, that they would retract the job offer.
After I was hired, I was told that statistically, it's easier to get accepted to Harvard University than it is to get hired by Southwest (because sooooo many people apply & don't make it).

Interview Question – Are you SURE that you've never committed a felony or misdemeanor?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation: it's a union job, so everyone has the same starting rate. Raises are by seniority, never merit-based.

Customer Service Agent

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Southwest Airlines in March 2012.

Interview Details Interview / application process was lengthily. Phone interview first, then a phone offer for a face to face. Time frame between the two was about a month. My face to face interview went very well, however, I was told the department went with the family member of an employee.

Interview Question – Nothing difficult or unexpected.   Answer Question

Las Vegas, NV (US)

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Southwest Airlines in March 2012.

Interview Details Sent resume online via SWA website. Was sent an email with a date and time on when they would call. Received a phone call which consisted of prior experience, why Southwest, what the job entails, uniform sizes, salary, etc. Was not offered a f2f, but was told someone would be contacting me, either way, within 2 weeks. From everything I've read, if you're not offered the f2f during the phone interview, you probably won't be invited to the f2f. I'll wait and see if I get the, "Thanks, but no thanks!"

Interview Question – Interviewer kept asking if I was aware of what the job entailed!   View Answers (2)

Worked for Southwest Airlines? Contribute to the Community!