Southwest Airlines

Getting the Interview

16 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Dallas, TX (US)

I applied online and interviewed at Southwest Airlines.

Interview Details Phone interviews followed by in person interviews in Dallas with recruiter and members of department you will be working in.

Interview Question – Asked for specific examples of hard skills I mentioned   Answer Question

Interviewed at Southwest Airlines

Interview Details First Phone Interview, and one on one interview in HDQ, Dallas TX.

Interview Question – Why Southwest?   Answer Question

Interviewed at Southwest Airlines

Interview Details phone Interview: general behavioral questions like why southwest? why this position? why your major? past experience (from your resume)

Interview Question – nothing out of expectations   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Southwest Airlines.

Interview Details Online Application, Phone Interview then Person to Person Interview in Dallas.

Interview Question – Both the phone interview was general behavioral interview questions and then the person to person interview was basically me thoroughly explaining my experiences that I had on my resume.   Answer Question

Interviewed at Southwest Airlines

Interview Details Apply online, several months ahead of internship time. Phone interview followed up. Flying to Dallas on-site interview. Great atmosphere. Lovely people. Be prepared to talk about your resume and be yourself for unexpected questions.

Interview Question – know your resume!   Answer Question

Dallas, TX (US)

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Southwest Airlines in December 2012.

Interview Details Submitted online application, submitted updated resume and "Why Southwest" Essay. Phone interview, then you were flown down for a face to face interview.

Interview Question – It was very much a conversation, nothing out of the expected questions. Make sure when they ask your "weakness" you have one that does not infer with the jobs functions.   Answer Question

Dallas, TX (US)

I applied online - interviewed at Southwest Airlines in January 2012.

Interview Details Interviewers and managers were looking for the following,
1. Warrior Spirit
2. Servants Heart
3. Fun loving attitude

Negotiation Details – None

Dallas, TX (US)

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Southwest Airlines in June 2012.

Interview Details I applied online and several weeks later was contacted for an updated resume. After that was called to set up a phone interview, which was basically just a recruiter explaining the position, hours, wage, etc. He asked maybe three or four open-ended questions like "Tell me why you chose your major." After that I was notified that I was being flown out to Dallas for an interview with the recruiter and another manager from the department. The facilities were nice and everyone seemed helpful. The interview was fairly lengthy, with a lot of discussion about my skills, experience, and personality. Very often during the interview one answer would lead to another spontaneous question, such as "You mentioned [blank], have you ever been in a situation like that, where you had to [blank]?" as in, have you ever not delivered a service in time and had to explain to a client why you weren't able to meet the deadline? The interview was not very scripted and was more serious that I expected from Southwest. I heard back in a few weeks that they had offered the internship to someone with a bit more experience.

Interview Questions

Intern

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Southwest Airlines in October 2011.

Interview Details There are four stages of the application process: initial online application, essay, phone interview, and in-person interview. For all of these stages, I would recommend doing your research on the company to make sure you are seen as passionate. Also, show your Fun-LUVing Attitude, Warrior Spirit, and Servant's Heart.

Interview Questions

Dallas, TX (US)

The process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Southwest Airlines in June 2011.

Interview Details I applied in April for the Fall internships. Yes, April. They get thousands of applicants so they need a lot of time to process the resumes. I was contacted for a phone interview, and a couple weeks later was contacted to complete an in-person interview at headquarters in Dallas. They flew me down and I had three interviews. These were very different than any I've had before. It was very much based on what my personality fit would be within the company, not just my personal accomplishments. Otherwise standard situational questions. I flew down in May for the interview and was contacted the second week of June notifying me I had been selected. Everyone is very nice, and even if you don't get past the phone interview, they will give you advice for improvement if you request it.

Interview Question – Tell me about how you show your Warrior Spirt and fun-LUVing attitude in past jobs?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation at SWA.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Southwest Airlines

Worked for Southwest Airlines? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Southwest Airlines Intern interview questions and advice. All 16 interview reviews posted anonymously by Southwest Airlines employees and interview candidates.