Southwest Airlines

Updated 25 Feb 2015
Updated 25 Feb 2015

2.7

Ramp Agent Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Southwest Airlines in January 2015.

I filled out an online application. A couple days later I got an email to fill out a more detailed online application. I was called for a phone interview the next week. I was scheduled for a face to face interview the following week. I went to the face to face interview and was interviewed by an HR person and a ramp agent supervisor. They asked me about my work history, the duties of the position, three qualities a ramp agent should have, my willingness to do mandatory OT and shift work, my past experience with OT and shift work, how I handled a disagreement with a coworker, what I thought the most difficult part of the position was, and more. They said they had more interviews to do this week and would get back to me next week regardless if I was hired or not They were very friendly and professional.

Interview Questions
    • What are 3 qualities important to a ramp agent?   View Answer

I applied online – interviewed at Southwest Airlines.

After about 3 weeks of applying I got an email that they were considering me. I had to fill out an intensive application. They called me few days after for a phone interview. after a week they said I passed the phone interview and would like to move me up to 1-on-1 interview. 1on1 interview took another 2 weeks.

Interview Questions
    • phone interview was relatively easy. why swa? and other customer service questions about situations with customers who were upset.   Answer Question

Operations Agent Interview

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN (US)
    Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN (US)

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Southwest Airlines.

I applied online at the beginning of January, then I received an email and a phone call exactly 3 weeks later from a recruiter in Phoenix. At first I received an email asking if I was still interested in the position, and if so then the recruiter asked me to fill out an application online. About an hour later I received a phone call form the recruiter. I was a bit surprised seeing how I barely had any time to even fill out the application. The phone call was for a phone interview, which I thought went over pretty well. Unfortunately, I was not asked to go on to the F2F interview by the end of the phone interview. I thought maybe I would be one of the lucky few who would be asked to the F2F a few days after. Sadly, I did receive the "thanks but no thanks" email 6 days after the phone interview. I'm not too sure why I was not chosen to go on, I even tried calling and emailing the recruiter to ask politely what the reason was for not choosing me. I also tried telling her that I wanted to make this a more positive experience, so I wanted to use the feedback as a way to grow and become a better candidate for future Southwest Airlines positions. Even though I tried numerous times to contact her, I received no response back. I can't help but feel as if the recruiter couldn't care less about helping a candidate that was no longer moving on in the process. Unfortunately, sometimes you get a recruiter that you may not connect with and that may cause you to lose an opportunity. As of now I still will continue to try with Southwest Airlines due to the reason it seems like such a wonderful airline to work for.

On a side note, I also applied to US Airways for a similar position and I was chosen to move on to the F2F interview. Both the US Airways phone interview and the Southwest Airlines interview were practically the same; similar questions, responses, and I held the same positive, funny attitude. if you don't get chosen to move on don't let that discourage you. As long as you are positive that you want to work for southwest then keep trying!

Interview Questions
    • Pretty much all behavioral questions. The recruiter provided some more information about the position itself.   Answer Question

Flight Attendant Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Southwest Airlines.

The process is one of complete evaluation. When I interviewed they had it at a hotel where hundreds of applicants showed up. After registration the first step was as a group of about 15-20 applicants, to go into a separate room with a 3 person panel. We had to stand up, introduce ourselves and tell a story about when... The story didn't really matter, it was your delivery of your story, how you engaged the rest of the people in the room, and whether you were comfortable speaking to strangers. Another thing you were being judged on is when it wasn't your turn to speak, that you were polite and listened to the other applicants.

If you made it past that part of the interview, because they eliminated people at that point, you had to do a one on one interview with 2 interviewers. The questions were the typical tell me about a time questions (work related). The questions from each interviewer were the same but worded differently. Make sure that you answer the questions honestly and similar. The interviewers will compare your answers and then you will either be asked to stick around for the next step or to leave.

The final step if you made it, was to schedule a drug test and to allow a back ground check. They will NEVER tell you that you are going to be given a flight attendant class date. You won't know until you are called by the training department. You basically are at their mercy as to when you go to training. If you decide the date is not convenient for you, you may be passed up and not called again.

Interview Questions
    • Training was probably the most difficult with the hiring process. The airline owns you and you must adapt. If you can't, don't apply. Timeliness, attitude, adaptability, emotions, and testing all need to be really good. If not, you will be removed from class. Remember, they are looking for people who will be great at customer safety and service. They don't need people who are going to cause problems for the company. Also, remember that there are thousands of other applicants that want to be in the position you are in. Be grateful that the best airline in the industry has chosen you to join their company. If you have a great attitude about life, you will love this job.   Answer Question
    Be available. If you want the job, then go after it. Just remember, the airlines now owns you and you don't have a lot of negotiation as to your schedule. If you are the type that can't give up that control, DON'T apply. The industry is tough, but this company is great.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX (US)

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Southwest Airlines.

The interview process was long but straightforward. Once you speak to a recruiter and go through a phone interview, if they are interested they will fly you to Dallas to meet you in person. Usually, interviews are in a small room with a recruiter and hiring manager(s). Overall very conversational, they are a laid back company and try to convey that image from the moment you walk into the building.

Interview Questions
    • Why are you interested in this position?
      Why Southwest?

View Answer

Internship Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Southwest Airlines.

I had a phone interview with Southwest Airlines in Fall 2014. The questions are basic and straightforward, which is almost about why choosing your current major, resume walk-through, and your career goal in the next five years. The interviewer is friendly and helpful, and somehow that makes the interview a little bit fun and less stressful.

Interview Questions
    • There is no difficult or unexpected question in this phone interview   Answer Question

Ramp Agent Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Southwest Airlines.

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Southwest Airlines.

There was phone interview and a group interview if you did well on the phone interview. It wasn't a difficult interview if you came prepared. The interviewers were extremely friendly and attentive to what I had to share with them. It is a great representation of the wider company.

I applied online – interviewed at Southwest Airlines.

Was called for the phone interview, the people who interview you on the phone don't work specifically for Southwest so expect a very dry tone. Speak clearly and take your time because they will misinterpret things you have said, I was then moved on to Face-Face interview (no pressure just smile and be bubbly), and then was given a verbal offer for the job

Interview Questions
    • None of the questions are difficult, just alot of customer service questions to prove you can handle working in a busy environment   Answer Question
    No negotiation

Customer Service Agent Interview

Anonymous Employee in New Orleans, LA (US)
    Anonymous Employee in New Orleans, LA (US)

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Southwest Airlines in January 2015.

I left a post about 2 weeks ago. In my post I mentioned that I had no offer 2 weeks after the face to face interview. I have an update. Apparently I'm still being considered, because a few days after posting my review on here I got an email saying they were going to fly me out to Orlando for fingerprinting. I've now done my drug test and I was told at the fingerprinting that if the employment verification checks out, I should hear back from them (with or without a job offer) in about 4 to 5 weeks. So from the time I applied for the position until 4 to 5 weeks from now, the entire process will be about 4 months long. I realize this industry involves the FAA and Homeland Security/TSA, and they have to make sure their employees don't have "shady" backgrounds, but this is taking a very long time. You have to be patient if you are in the same situation.