Southwest Airlines

146 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Intern Interview

Dallas, TX (US)

I applied online and interviewed at Southwest Airlines.

Interview Details Phone interviews followed by in person interviews in Dallas with recruiter and members of department you will be working in.

Interview Question – Asked for specific examples of hard skills I mentioned   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

San Francisco, CA (US)

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Southwest Airlines in April 2014.

Interview Details Applied online, maybe a month later got an email asking to send resume and the best phone number to be reached at. The next morning I got a phone call with simple questions about my past work experience, why Southwest, and what do customer service agents do... I'm guessing to see if you know about the position you applied for. After that she said she would give me a call in a week to let me know because she had other interviews to do but to my surprise she called me back in a couple of hours to set up a F2F interview. The interview was for the following week and I had to bring my drivers license, social security card and GED. Was a one on one interview but there was the manager sitting in the room from the airport you would be working at. Was a little nervous because she didn't ask question but she looked at you the whole time while you answered questions. Once again simple questions like why Southwest, the time you had to deal with an angry customer, and the time you went out your way to help a co worker. She also went over my work experience again. Interview only lasted about 10mins, she then made copies of my papers and let me know either way if I got the job or not I would receive a email or a phone call letting me know. They held interviews the day before and would be doing it all day that day so nobody got a straight yes or no, its just a wait and see. Either a rejection email or a email asking you to come in for fingerprints and drug test. So now I just sit and wait and hope for the best. I want the job but so do 100s of other people. I have no idea how many people they want and what kinda people they are looking for.

Interview Question – I guess the only unexpected question was what was my weakness.. I had to really stop and think about it   Answer Question

Internship Interview

Dallas, TX (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Southwest Airlines.

Interview Details Got a phone screening about three weeks after I applied. I applied on the dead line which was in October (I think)for spring semester. After talking to a HR manager on the phone I received a in person interview offer few days later. Visited them at their head quarter in Dallas. Everyone including HR people were very nice and interview was informal.

Interview Question – No technical interviews particulary. Interviewed with three people, one person from HR, two people from the team I was going to work with. I am a finance major and though the job I was applying involved some software programs such as VBA, EXCEL and ACCESS they did not ask any technical questions. I had to explain how proficient I am in those skills. Interview was very welcoming and interviewers were very patient throughout the interviews. Basically they explained me what my work was going to be if I were to work there and what my team does in daily basis. Most of the questions were behavior and some typical questions such as what my favorite class was in college and if I have taken any courses that might help with the work I will be doing.   Answer Question

Interviewed at Southwest Airlines

Interview Details they let unexperienced supervisors do the interviews

NoLimits Internship Interview

Dallas, TX (US)

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Southwest Airlines in February 2014.

Interview Details The online application opens up for about a month six months before the internship semester begins. Following the online application, you will be notified regardless of whether you move or not. If chosen to move on, a recruiting coordinator or someone similar will contact you for a phone interview with the recruiter hiring for the position. It lasts about 20 minutes and he/she asks basic interview and follow up questions on your resume. Following the phone interview, you will be notified if you move on for an in-person interview at HQ. Again, pretty basic question and follows an unstructured format. They go down your resume and asks you to expand on your experience and duties and ask probing questions to get a better understanding of how you work, how you like to be managed, and to try to gauge the breadth of your knowledge.

Since the initial contact from the recruiting coordinator, the whole process took 2.5 weeks. However, be patient because they receive literally thousands of applications! I submitted my application in November and did not hear back until February.

Interview Question – I was asked why I chose my major (they want to see your Warrior Spirit!) and what classes were my favorite and most difficult. Lastly, and they also ask this during the phone interview, is why you chose Southwest Airlines.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not open to negotiation.

Systems Engineer Interview

Dallas, TX (US)

I applied through other source and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Southwest Airlines in December 2010.

Interview Details A thorough interview process with three people. However, it took them weeks to make an offer.

Negotiation Details – None

Bwi Airport, MD (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Southwest Airlines in March 2014.

Interview Details I applied online for the position soon as I seen it on their website because they don't keep their jobs posted for long. I received a email about three days later asking if i was still interested in the position, I replied but didn't hear anything back for another two weeks. I got a email asking to set up a phone interview which I did. The phone interview was about 8 mins long, she first asked me about my past jobs just to find out they time of work i did there. Then she explained the position to me and the pay rate which is only $11 something to start and she said it will take about 11 years to reach $21. I wasn't to happy to hear that but she then went on to explain that when you first start you have no set schedule you will just get the days thats left after the senior employs pick their schedule. They do have a lot of overtime for this position. About a week later i got a email asking to set up a F2F interview which I did. It was just me and the lady that I have been communicating with, she said that they was short staff and thats why because its normally her and two others giving the F2F interview. The F2F went well we just talked about my past jobs and she asked me three questions. They were very easy questions like how do you have fun on the job, how do you go out your way for a customer and how do you deal with a angry customer. Im waiting to hear back to see if I will be moving on with the hiring process which is a background check for jobs, school and criminal.

Interview Question – Non of the questions was difficult just make sure you smile and be bubbly because thats what they are looking for.   Answer Question

Customer Service Agent
Houston, TX (US)

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Southwest Airlines in July 2011.

Interview Details The interview process was pretty straight forward. Filled out an online application, and received a call from an internal recruiter for a phone screening which lasted about 10 minutes. The interviewer asked standard questions about my work background and explained the basics of the job requirements. While still on the phone with me she asked me if I would be available for an in-person interview the following week.

The in person interview was with the station manager and two recruiters. They all asked standard questions about my background and work experience. They asked for lots of stories and examples of previous times you've solved a problem creatively, or dealt with an unhappy customer.

I think the most important thing to remember when interviewing for this position is to make sure you show your outgoing and fun personality. I know that interviewers disqualify people based on this. The culture at SWA is very important to the company, so make sure you prepare some fun/funny stories to impress on that end.

After the panel interview I went a couple weeks without hearing back, but was finally asked to fly to Dallas to be fingerprinted and have a drug screen at a local screening place.

Interview Question – Standard interview with no difficult questions, just be prepared with stories of past customer service experiences and be a bit bubbly.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. Union position, so you are on a standard pay scale. To start was $11.50 if I remember right.

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
Dallas, TX (US)

I applied online and interviewed at Southwest Airlines.

Interview Details Sent in application and then got an email form a recruiter asking for available time for an interview and a copy of my resume. During the phone interview I had asked the interview to repeat two questions because i could not hear or understand the interviewer. For one of the questions, the interviewer said in a very quiet voice, "Oh, maybe you don't know that yet." and that one one of the questions I could not hear the interviewer at all. The interviewer quickly went to the next question after saying that. I felt that i did not go to the next phase because of that question.

Interview Question – (could not hear or understand the question)   View Answer

Flight Attendant Interview

Flight Attendant
Los Angeles, CA (US)

I applied through other source and the process took a day - interviewed at Southwest Airlines in February 2014.

Interview Details LA feb 2014 open house interview. 400 people showed up for open house. you had to go in front of 50 people and introduce yourself and say why you want to be FA. you have to appear very confident and happy and smile a lot. maybe 10 people got invited to F2F interview. Including the ones that crack the most jokes.

Interview Question – no difficult questions   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Southwest Airlines

Worked for Southwest Airlines? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Southwest Airlines interview questions and advice. All 146 interview reviews are posted anonymously by Southwest Airlines employees and interview candidates.