Southwest Airlines

Updated 3 Mar 2015
Updated 3 Mar 2015

2.8

Customer Service Agent Interview

Anonymous Employee in New Orleans, LA (US)
    Anonymous Employee in New Orleans, LA (US)

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Southwest Airlines in January 2015.

I left a post about 2 weeks ago. In my post I mentioned that I had no offer 2 weeks after the face to face interview. I have an update. Apparently I'm still being considered, because a few days after posting my review on here I got an email saying they were going to fly me out to Orlando for fingerprinting. I've now done my drug test and I was told at the fingerprinting that if the employment verification checks out, I should hear back from them (with or without a job offer) in about 4 to 5 weeks. So from the time I applied for the position until 4 to 5 weeks from now, the entire process will be about 4 months long. I realize this industry involves the FAA and Homeland Security/TSA, and they have to make sure their employees don't have "shady" backgrounds, but this is taking a very long time. You have to be patient if you are in the same situation.

Ramp Agent Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I applied online. The process took 7 weeksinterviewed at Southwest Airlines in January 2015.

After a few phone interviews I was invited to a face-to-face interview. They were busy and I had to wait about 30 minutes after my scheduled interview time. There were 5 people in the interview room: 1 person in charge of hiring, 2 supervisors, and 2 people taking notes. It was friendly and I enjoyed the interview.

Ramp Agent Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Southwest Airlines.

Best to apply online. Just be yourself and once you get in the company you can move around both position wise and location. There is also a 6 month probation time. Huge background check.

Interview Questions
    • There is a lot of overtime to work and they have what they call "mandatory overtime" so be ready to work the holidays at first.   Answer Question

Flight Attendant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ (US)

I applied online. The process took 12+ monthsinterviewed at Southwest Airlines in December 2014.

Applied on line. It was 10 months before I heard from them. Got an email to schedule a phone interview. The interviewer was friendly and seemed to understand the inherent stress in an interview. The phone interview lasted about 20 minutes. I tried to answer the question fully and looked for opportunities to inject my personality. Three business days later, I got an email to arrange the in person interview. I was flown at SWA's expense to Phoenix. SWA covers all transportation when you arrive at the interviewing city. Three interviewers couldn't have made it easier. They were very friendly and gave a lot of positive visual feedback. I knew I was doing well. Then came two simple agility tests: walk down an aisle of chairs and sit in a jump seat and go through a cardboard cut out the size of an emergency exit. It's sized so you have to bend down and step through. Both were very easy. I was offered a position on the spot.

The most important thing to keep in mind is SW's culture. Be sure to hit/explain how you have/live 1. A Warrior Spirit 2. A Servant's Heart and 3. Have a FUN-loving attitude. I made sure to cover these in my cover letter, phone and in person interviews.

Be sure to smile. Be sure to be outgoing. Whether you know it or not you are being evaluated and watched all the time.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you gave exceptional customer service.   Answer Question
    • What is the difference between hospitality and customer service?   Answer Question
    • Being a flight attendant, you are considered to be a "first responder" in the event of an emergency. How do you think you would handle that responsibility?   Answer Question
    • What is a weakness you have and how will you overcome it?   Answer Question
    • You will be away from home 3-4 days a week, how do you feel about that/how are you going to deal with that?   Answer Question
    There wasn't any negotiation. It is a union job and you know your starting salary and at what points it goes up.

Flight Attendant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakland, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakland, CA (US)

I applied online – interviewed at Southwest Airlines in December 2014.

Long! I filled out my application December 2013 and did not receive an email until Thanksgiving 2014. I responded to the email by giving work history and current and previous addresses. Got a phone interview about 2-3 weeks later and immediately got a face to face interview in oakland . My phone interview was On a Thursday and my face to face in Oakland was that next Wednesday . I was so nervous, but upon arrival the atmosphere at the people department was great! Everyone was so friendly ! I did wait a while prior to my interview but was hired on the spot!
    While there I had to do a few simple tests , and gave my drivers license , college degree and social security card. Did my fingerprints and went for a drug screening the next day. Make sure there are no gaps and your app is filled out in its entirety. Background check took approximately two to three weeks. Now I'm off to training and cannot wait to start my career with southwest !

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you had a difficult customer and how did you solve the situation   View Answer

Intern Interview

I applied online. The entire process took a little over 3 months. I uploaded my resume, then I heard back from them a month later asking me to write a "Why Southwest" essay. I later had a phone interview, and if you pass that then they will fly you to their headquarters in Dallas.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were typical interview questions. Why are you a good fit for Southwest? What is your biggest weakness? They also asked about my previous internship a lot.   View Answer

Flight Attendant Interview

Southwest FA hiring process is more interested in getting to know you. It's very relaxed. It's a panel of 3 that includes FA, FA Supervisor, and Recruiter. Pretty much ask questions based on the Star Format

Interview Questions
    • Nothing really difficult, interview was more like a conversation. I was asked why I wanted to be a Flight Attendant.   Answer Question

Ramp Agent Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Southwest Airlines in November 2014.

got a call from one of the recruiters and he was rushing the call. asked me about my previous jobs and asked me simple questions of how i would handle different scenarios then he said he would let me know the next week for a face to face so im waiting.

Interview Questions
    s low pay and no negotiation

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Southwest Airlines.

Started with a phone interview, basic questions on my resume and coursework. Then asked some basic HR questions. Then was followed up with another phone interview going into position details. Was called back a month later and invited for a in person interview in Dallas.

Ramp Agent - HOU Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX (US)
    Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX (US)

I applied online – interviewed at Southwest Airlines in November 2014.

I revevied a call from a recruiter in PHX, he like what I said about SWA and why I want to work for SWA. Later, recevied an email to attend a face to face interview at HOU. Interview went well, with two people. One with an HR Rep. and another with a Ramp Supervisor. Interview went well, both shocked on what I know about aviation. Before leaving, she did say it is a long process, this Friday will be two weeks. Hopfully I will recevie some good news and move forward with the SWA process. Anyone has info on the hiring process...