Southwest Airlines Interview Questions & Reviews

175 interviews

2.8

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX (US)

I interviewed online - interviewed at Southwest Airlines.

Phone interviews followed by in person interviews in Dallas with recruiter and members of department you will be working in.

Interview Questions
    • Asked for specific examples of hard skills I mentioned   Answer Question

Internship Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Dallas, TX (US)
    Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX (US)

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Southwest Airlines.

Got a phone screening about three weeks after I applied. I applied on the dead line which was in October (I think)for spring semester. After talking to a HR manager on the phone I received a in person interview offer few days later. Visited them at their head quarter in Dallas. Everyone including HR people were very nice and interview was informal.

Interview Questions
    • No technical interviews particulary. Interviewed with three people, one person from HR, two people from the team I was going to work with. I am a finance major and though the job I was applying involved some software programs such as VBA, EXCEL and ACCESS they did not ask any technical questions. I had to explain how proficient I am in those skills. Interview was very welcoming and interviewers were very patient throughout the interviews. Basically they explained me what my work was going to be if I were to work there and what my team does in daily basis. Most of the questions were behavior and some typical questions such as what my favorite class was in college and if I have taken any courses that might help with the work I will be doing.   Answer Question

NoLimits Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX (US)

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Southwest Airlines in February 2014.

The online application opens up for about a month six months before the internship semester begins. Following the online application, you will be notified regardless of whether you move or not. If chosen to move on, a recruiting coordinator or someone similar will contact you for a phone interview with the recruiter hiring for the position. It lasts about 20 minutes and he/she asks basic interview and follow up questions on your resume. Following the phone interview, you will be notified if you move on for an in-person interview at HQ. Again, pretty basic question and follows an unstructured format. They go down your resume and asks you to expand on your experience and duties and ask probing questions to get a better understanding of how you work, how you like to be managed, and to try to gauge the breadth of your knowledge.

Since the initial contact from the recruiting coordinator, the whole process took 2.5 weeks. However, be patient because they receive literally thousands of applications! I submitted my application in November and did not hear back until February.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked why I chose my major (they want to see your Warrior Spirit!) and what classes were my favorite and most difficult. Lastly, and they also ask this during the phone interview, is why you chose Southwest Airlines.   Answer Question
    Not open to negotiation.

Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX (US)

I interviewed through other source. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Southwest Airlines in December 2010.

A thorough interview process with three people. However, it took them weeks to make an offer.

None

Customer Service Agent Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Bwi Airport, MD (US)
    Anonymous Employee in Bwi Airport, MD (US)

I interviewed online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Southwest Airlines in March 2014.

I applied online for the position soon as I seen it on their website because they don't keep their jobs posted for long. I received a email about three days later asking if i was still interested in the position, I replied but didn't hear anything back for another two weeks. I got a email asking to set up a phone interview which I did. The phone interview was about 8 mins long, she first asked me about my past jobs just to find out they time of work i did there. Then she explained the position to me and the pay rate which is only $11 something to start and she said it will take about 11 years to reach $21. I wasn't to happy to hear that but she then went on to explain that when you first start you have no set schedule you will just get the days thats left after the senior employs pick their schedule. They do have a lot of overtime for this position. About a week later i got a email asking to set up a F2F interview which I did. It was just me and the lady that I have been communicating with, she said that they was short staff and thats why because its normally her and two others giving the F2F interview. The F2F went well we just talked about my past jobs and she asked me three questions. They were very easy questions like how do you have fun on the job, how do you go out your way for a customer and how do you deal with a angry customer. Im waiting to hear back to see if I will be moving on with the hiring process which is a background check for jobs, school and criminal.

Interview Questions
    • Non of the questions was difficult just make sure you smile and be bubbly because thats what they are looking for.   Answer Question

Customer Service Agent Interview

they let unexperienced supervisors do the interviews

Customer Service Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Houston, TX (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX (US)

I interviewed online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Southwest Airlines in July 2011.

The interview process was pretty straight forward. Filled out an online application, and received a call from an internal recruiter for a phone screening which lasted about 10 minutes. The interviewer asked standard questions about my work background and explained the basics of the job requirements. While still on the phone with me she asked me if I would be available for an in-person interview the following week.

The in person interview was with the station manager and two recruiters. They all asked standard questions about my background and work experience. They asked for lots of stories and examples of previous times you've solved a problem creatively, or dealt with an unhappy customer.

I think the most important thing to remember when interviewing for this position is to make sure you show your outgoing and fun personality. I know that interviewers disqualify people based on this. The culture at SWA is very important to the company, so make sure you prepare some fun/funny stories to impress on that end.

After the panel interview I went a couple weeks without hearing back, but was finally asked to fly to Dallas to be fingerprinted and have a drug screen at a local screening place.

Interview Questions
    • Standard interview with no difficult questions, just be prepared with stories of past customer service experiences and be a bit bubbly.   Answer Question
    No negotiation. Union position, so you are on a standard pay scale. To start was $11.50 if I remember right.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Dallas, TX (US)
    Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX (US)

I interviewed online - interviewed at Southwest Airlines.

Sent in application and then got an email form a recruiter asking for available time for an interview and a copy of my resume. During the phone interview I had asked the interview to repeat two questions because i could not hear or understand the interviewer. For one of the questions, the interviewer said in a very quiet voice, "Oh, maybe you don't know that yet." and that one one of the questions I could not hear the interviewer at all. The interviewer quickly went to the next question after saying that. I felt that i did not go to the next phase because of that question.

Interview Questions
    • (could not hear or understand the question)   View Answer

Flight Attendant Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I interviewed through other source. The process took a day - interviewed at Southwest Airlines in February 2014.

LA feb 2014 open house interview. 400 people showed up for open house. you had to go in front of 50 people and introduce yourself and say why you want to be FA. you have to appear very confident and happy and smile a lot. maybe 10 people got invited to F2F interview. Including the ones that crack the most jokes.

Maintenance Material Management Intern Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Southwest Airlines in December 2013.

Contacted after about 2 months and scheduled for a phone interview. Phone interview was very basic, asking about yourself. After that, they will fly you to Dallas for another interview. I had interview with two people and they are asking about myself. It was a very chill interview and people in Southwest are very friendly.

Interview Questions
    • Asking about projects I have worked on, experience, knowledge about the software used for the job   Answer Question