Southwest Airlines

Relevance Date Difficulty

Flight Operations Crew Scheduler Interview

Flight Operations Crew Scheduler
Dallas, TX (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Southwest Airlines in December 2013.

Interview Details I applied online, contacted by a recruiter 1 - 2 weeks later to set up a phone interview.
Phone screening consisted of the recruiter outlining the position, me talking through my resume, and some casual conversation. Very relaxed, just be personable and know the position, your resume, and Southwest inside and out.
I was also contacted for the In-Flight Crew Scheduler opening. The phone interview was a similar format, but the second was much more personality driven - the recruiter had lots of energy and was obviously looking to tap into your personality as part of the screening. (I was not contacted to interview in-person for this position, I believe due to the forthcoming offer for the other opening)
I was contacted for an in-person interview for the Flight Ops Crew Scheduler position. They were flexible, I had to reschedule once due to my work schedule. I interviewed with the phone screening HR interviewer and the hiring manager. Similar format to the phone screening: walk me through your resume, what do you know about the position, why Southwest-type of questions. Also mixed in were some 'tell me about a time when...' questions, basically seeing how you would react in challenging situations related to the job. I must have interviewed with the same folks as the interviewee in the previous post, as the hiring manager was obviously very tired (eyes glazed, head-bob, just struggling), but knowing their schedule I gave him the benefit of the doubt and continued talking, focusing on the HR manager.
They gave me the opportunity to ask a few questions about the position (highly recommend good, thought-out questions, they seemed to appreciate the opportunity to talk more about the opening and company), which was engaging and also brought the hiring manger back to life, then the interview was over.
Overall a good impression, friendly folks and a great company from what I hear/read.

Interview Question – What do you think will be most difficult in your transition into this company?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, they were very up front about the salary from the beginning.

Senior Planning Analyst Interview

Senior Planning Analyst

I applied in-person and interviewed at Southwest Airlines.

Interview Details Started with a phone interview and then two in person interviews (3-4 people in each) followed by a job offer.

Interview Question – lot of scenario based questions   Answer Question

Flight Ops Crew Scheduler Interview

Flight Ops Crew Scheduler
Dallas, TX (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Southwest Airlines in December 2013.

Interview Details I was tipped off by a friend in the crew scheduling dept that there was going to be a posting so I was eagerly waiting for it. Sure enough, it showed up and I applied. I was contacted about a week later by a recruiter, who setup a time to conduct a phone interview. The phone interview started with the recruiter asking me what I thought were the position responsibilities (be sure you research this if you don't know) and he asked me what i thought the biggest challenges in the role would be. Then he worked back through my resume, asking me to describe what I did at each airline and why I left. Southwest hires more for fit than other companies so be sure that you are modeling their company values within your experience and answers (warrior spirit, servant's heart, fun luv-ing attitude - once again, do research so that you know what those are). I thought I bombed the phone interview because I resigned in my last position and my answer wasn't as concrete as it should have been. To my surprise I was contacted a few days later via email that I made it to the face-to-face in Dallas. (They flew me out (must-ride), it was strange having a confirmed seat when I'm so used to non-revving.) Face-to-face was the recruiter and manager in the crew scheduling dept. I was completely prepared and felt calm. About 15 min into interview the manager was falling asleep. I couldn't believe it! No head bob but the eyes were glazed and lids going up and down. I wanted to laugh but instead focused my attention on the recruiter, who was awake and engaged. Face-to-face took about 35 min.

Interview Question – Pretty much standard interview questions, behavioral focused questions. If you write out as many experiences where you went out of your way to help a customer, went above and beyond what is required, took initiative, made a quick decision, found a new solution, etc you will be able to answer any of the behavioral questions fairly easily with an example.   Answer Question

Culture Activities Intern Interview

Culture Activities Intern
Dallas, TX (US)

I applied online and the process took 8 months - interviewed at Southwest Airlines in April 2013.

Interview Details You submit an application online about 9 months before the semester that you are applying for. A few months later I was asked for an essay about "why southwest." Then more waiting and I got called from hr for a phone interview, I was then asked to interview in person. They flew me to Dallas. About a week later I was offered the position.

Interview Question – I was asked open ended behavioral questions that would be hard if you dont have specific examples. Know your story!   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None

Ramp Agent Interview

Ramp Agent
Houston, TX (US)

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Southwest Airlines in December 2013.

Interview Details I applied online and then about 5 days later I get an unexpected phone call from them. Just like that I had a phone interview on my hands. A week goes by and a recruiter finally contacts me and sets up a face to face interview. I honestly think it went very good and smooth....we hsraed some laughs and I tried showing them I'm good to work with and down to earth.

I'm now currently waiting to see if I made it any further.....the recruiter has gone on a 2 week vacation (for the holidays), so if anything I may hear until January 2, 2014.....which makes sense because she did say if I get the position that I would get started in mid-January. (Hence giving me a 2 week notice chance)....but I'll have to wait and see.

Interview Question – From all the airlines available to work in, why Southwest?   Answer Question

Financial Analyst Interview

Financial Analyst
Dallas, TX (US)

The process took a day - interviewed at Southwest Airlines in February 2013.

Interview Details The interview was pretty easy, they asked questions involving how southwest was doing internally and i had to apply math skills to their questions. think on your feet and practice by watching analyst videos on youtube and also read on what sw is doing financially in any magazines and newspapers

Interview Question – Be sure to be confident, respond to answers quickly, show your thinking process to solves questions they might ask you   Answer Question

Marketing Intern Interview

Marketing Intern
Dallas, TX (US)

I applied online - interviewed at Southwest Airlines in December 2013.

Interview Details I applied online and received an e-mail from a recruiter to schedule a phone interview with a different recruiter for the marketing dept. Phone interview was difficult, lots of behavioral questions, lots of questions on relating previous work experience and courses to concepts in marketing. I was surprised I was offered an in-person interview. Went in thinking it was just going to be the recruiter, turned out to be a 6 person panel interview from the department. Everyone was very nice and conversational, but questions were all about past work experience, what aspect of marketing do I prefer, how did you deal with a situation, it was about an hour long of questions from everyone in the room.

Interview Question – Behavioral questions   View Answer

Intern Interview

Intern

Interviewed at Southwest Airlines

Interview Details First Phone Interview, and one on one interview in HDQ, Dallas TX.

Interview Question – Why Southwest?   Answer Question

Customer Service Agent Interview

Customer Service Agent

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Southwest Airlines.

Interview Details Hiring process is pretty simple. The thing with Southwest is so many people apply. They only post the jobs for a couple of hours once they post. Generally they email most of the applicants who are able to apply for the brief job posting for a phone interview. If the phone interview goes well they will actually call you back for a face to face interview. If the phone interview didn't go well or you weren't selected they will email you. If you are selected for the face to face it generally is a panel interview which is very relaxed. If they decides to select you they will ask to finger print you either then. If not they will let you know they are reviewing applicants and most likely you will receive a thanks but no thanks email.

Negotiation Details – Non negotiable Union

Internship Interview

Internship
Dallas, TX (US)

I applied online - interviewed at Southwest Airlines in December 2013.

Interview Details phone interview after application 2 weeks.

Interview Question – almost behavior questions, and detail about your resume.   Answer Question