Staples Interview Questions

Updated 26 Apr 2015

2.3

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Staples.

Interview

Answer all the online questions how you think a customer-service oriented company would want you to reply, not how you actually would reply. Once management has seen your application, and the system hasn't flagged you, they'll take you in for an interview. There's usually plenty of turnover, the stores burn people out.

Interview Questions

• Are you willing to work nights and weekends?   1 Answer

EasyTech Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cherry Hill, NJ (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Staples (Cherry Hill, NJ (US)).

Interview

My interview probably wasn't the standard as I was transferring from another tech job and my skills spoke for me. They just wanted to know that I would fit into the culture there.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about technology?   1 Answer

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Staples in April 2015.

Interview

I put in an online application for a part time sales position. I got a call the next day and the supervisor wanted to set me up that day for an interview. I wanted some time to prepare for the interview so I set the interview for two days after that (Friday). I showed up about 10 minutes early and it took a little bit to find my interviewer, nothing where I had to wait terribly long and it looked like they were doing inventory so I expected as much. The interviewer showed up and asked me three questions so my prep was pretty much for no reason, just be ready to answer general questions about yourself. we did a quick tour of the store. He wanted to know by Sunday if I wanted the position. I got an extension to the coming Friday due to other offers. I was offered the IT department at a little under 9 an hour with 25 hours a week or so. I was told that normally you start out in general sales at minimum wage then move to a department, so I'm guessing this was due to my familiarity with computers. I will probably accept the offer if I don't hear positively from the other positions I interviewed for.

The Manager and Store Manager were polite but hurried. my guess would be due to trying to deal with tech issues and stocking the store for the weekend, as this location is near a popular tourist area. Had time for all my questions (compensation, my volunteer activities, other offers) and was interested in what I had to say about my previous work experience.
    Overall, a good experience in the interview process and I hope the job is about the same.

Interview Questions

• What is your background? Why do you want to work here? Is your availability flexible?   1 Answer

Business to Business Sales Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in La Mirada, CA (US)

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Staples (La Mirada, CA (US)) in April 2015.

Interview

I went in for a first interview at the office in La Mirada, CA. Because I am still completing my undergrad (graduating in a month) and have no experience, they didn't ask me too many questions about how I would close a sale. They weren't put off by my lack of experience though because I was a student-athlete. They asked me more character based questions. The next step in the interview process is a ride a long with a senior sales rep.

Interview Questions

• Would you rather host a party or go to a party?   1 Answer

Copy Center Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Staples.

Interview

General manager called and asked me for an interview for that same week. Met two managers during the interview. Asked simple interview questions, making sure I was going to be able to handle the copy and print center.

Interview Questions

• "What does customer service mean to you?" Asked about availability.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newbury Park, CA (US)

Application

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at Staples (Newbury Park, CA (US)).

Interview

I didnt have one. They just hired me and filled out my paperwork. I walked in ready to sit down and speak with a manager but it never happened. They are too lazy to talk to people before hiring them. The place is going under for a reason. I hated every second of my life as a Staples Associate. Biggest mistake of my life.

Business to Business Sales Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Staples (New York, NY (US)).

Interview

I was initially contacted by a recruiter to schedule a call after applying online. My call lasted about an hour and the recruiter passed my information along to the Area Manager. I was contacted that same day to schedule a face to face interview the following week. My face to face interview went great and I was offered a position as a B2B Sales Specialist that same day. Everything happened very quickly, but the company knew exactly what they were looking for in a candidate.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you didn't close a sale and what did you learn from that.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was able to negotiate and they increased the initial offer.

EasyTech Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glen Cove, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Staples (Glen Cove, NY (US)).

Interview

The interview process was very easy. I applied for the position online then followed up with a couple phone calls over the next two weeks to check on my application status. I was called in for an interview that lasted about fifteen minutes - just the general manager asking very basic questions about my previous experience.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever worked in retail?   1 Answer

Senior Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Framingham, MA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Staples (Framingham, MA (US)).

Interview

Probably the worst interviewing experience in the IT industry. It took over 3 months of setting up interviews with different teams and individuals, on the phone and in person. The internal recruiter is nice however the requirements and needs for the position were not articulated and coordinated internally and with the recruiter. Majority of executives were late or cancelled at the last minute showing complete disrespect for the candidate and candidate's time. Those were very hard to reschedule. One of the executives who participated in the interview told that he is not sure why this interview even takes place. It was hard to keep interest in the role knowing it would have such challenges from the get go. I know Staples is considered a company with good culture but it would not be obvious to the person based on the interviewing experience within IT department.

Interview Questions

• Majority of questions were asked about previous experience and skill set need to fulfil the role.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Staples.

Interview

I arrived 15 minutes early, told someone at the Easy Tech counter that I was there for an interview at 2:30. Someone else was there for an interview at the same time as me. I waited my turn. The manager came out, shook my hand, and walked me back to the employee break area. He asked me zero questions, described the job that were hiring for (which was differemy from what I applied for) and told me they would call me.

Interview Questions

• I got asked zero questions. It was all very laid back.   Answer Question