Starbucks Barista Interview Questions

Updated Sep 17, 2014

2.3

590 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Barista Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Starbucks.

Received a call about a week or two after I first applied. Short phone interview, just asked about my availability, nothing complicated it was more like a casual conversation. Scheduled a face to face interview at the location, was offered a drink while I waited. She explained the benefits and dress code, as well as what I would be doing if I got the job. Pretty simple, I wasn't really asked many questions, it was mostly just her talking. She was very friendly and the interview itself was very casual. At the end she said she would call within the next couple of days with an answer.

Other Interview Reviews for Starbucks

Barista Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Starbucks in September 2014.

Put in my application for Barista online (was listed as "full-time"). The a call about a week later from the manager. He conducted a small interview, asking my why I was interested in Starbucks and what my schedule was. He then asked me to come in the following week for an interview. I met with him inside Starbucks in the cafe and he basically read the questions off of the papers he had. He informed me he needed someone part-time. The questions are basically to test your character and get an idea of how you act in the workplace, "What was a time you went above and beyond for Customer Service?" "When was a time a co-worker was not following company policy, what did you do?" "How would you deal with a co-worker you didn't get along with?"

Got a call a few days later saying he went with another candidate which was fine since I was looking for a full-time position anyway.

Interview Questions
    • When was a time a co-worker was not following company policy, what did you do?   Answer Question

Barista Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Starbucks in March 2012.

I had a manager from another Starbucks refer me to another manager at a nearby location. I was already a customer for 2 years and knew only the manager who referred me. The other manager approached me inside Starbucks and asked if I was interested in a job (I had tried to get a job at the store I frequented every day). I said yes and she asked me for my phone number and called me the next day to set up an interview time. It was about three days away. I showed up at the interview and it took only about 20 minutes. I was cheery and upbeat in my interview and was honest that I was not a morning person, which worked out great because she listened and started me out on nights after my two-week paid training. She called me about a day or two after saying I was hired and told me when my training started.

Interview Questions
    • What was one situation where you had a customer complaint and how did you address/fix the problem?   Answer Question

Barista Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Starbucks in December 2013.

I applied online to the 4-5 closest stores in my area. I was able to rank these stores in my order of preference, but ultimately they placed me where they wanted me, not my first choice (or even my second or third), but still somewhere that was easily accessible for me (I don't have my license, I take public transportation). I dressed Business Casual in clean, simple attire, I think I wore a simple black dress with a black cardigan and flats. I'm pretty sure I was contacted via telephone to schedule an in person interview within' the week. On the date of my interview I arrived 15 minutes early, went to the register to inform a Barista of my arrival. I was offered a complimentary drink of my choosing, I think I got a standard tall latte of some sort, nothing too fancy, to show I was a consumer of the products. I sat down in the cafe area (actually not at the store I was officially hired at, the one up the street from it) and waited for the manager to meet me. As it turns out, I was met by not one, but two managers. They were both male and I was surprised at how at ease I felt after a short period of time talking to them. The questions were simple and fluid. Prior to my Starbucks interview I had only had a handful of interviews, but this was by far my easiest one to date. They even asked a few personal questions about what I liked to do in my spare time. Starbucks seems to value, and embrace, people who are quirky, artsy, or a little weird (in the best way). Be friendly, engaging, and smile a lot! They just want to see that you're personable and visualize you interacting positively with customers. Seamless process. I was very impressed. I got an offer. On my first day I could already tell it would be a great place to work, and I felt like part of a family.

Interview Questions
    A little higher than minimum wage, still not enough to live on long term, no negotiation.

Barista Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Starbucks in April 2014.

The hiring process is simple. They invite you to the store after taking about three days to call you about your application. They talk about the company standards and policies and talk about dress code and job expectations. They ask questions about your previous job experience. If they are wanting to hire you, then you will know by the end of the interview, they will ask if you have your different forms of i.d. including your SSN/card. It takes about 5-7 days to finish the background check and they will call you in for training briefly afterwards.

Barista Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Bellevue, WA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA (US)

I applied online - interviewed at Starbucks in September 2014.

Applied online to 5 locations. Got a call back from the manager the same day. Scheduled an interview for 2 days after, although she called to move interview to a different store. Interview was standard Q&A like "Why Starbucks?" etc. It was fairly casual, the manager seemed to respond positively when I talked about my past experiences. She sold it well without any fanatical zeal, so I enjoyed talking with her.

Interview Questions
    • Since I don't have much work experience, she wanted me to talk about my volunteering experience (I'm a predental student). Not difficult however.   Answer Question

Barista Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Ogden, UT (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ogden, UT (US)

I applied online - interviewed at Starbucks in August 2014.

I applied online and got a call to schedule an interview within a week.

I arrived and they offered me a drink, which I accepted. The manager asked basic questions for a service industry - have you worked in a restaurant/cafe environment before?, how would you handle a difficult customer?, etc. Asked if I was comfortable with cleaning bathrooms - I said yes. The interview seemed to go well and she said she'd probably call me with a job offer within 24 hours, but she never did. Easy interview process, really laid back.

Interview Questions
    • "What would you expect from a Starbucks barista, and do you exude that quality?"   Answer Question

Barista Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Jacksonville, FL (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jacksonville, FL (US)

I applied online - interviewed at Starbucks.

Fairly casual. Got a free drink beforehand. I just sat with the manager and went over my resume and work experience. It was more of a friendly conversation than a Q&A format. I would've accepted the job but they were looking for people to work for the next 6 months.

Barista Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Walla Walla, WA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Walla Walla, WA (US)

interviewed at Starbucks in March 2010.

Applied online. Got an interview within a week. They wanted to know what my goals are in life and why starbucks. I told them i was in college and wanted a college job (basically), but i was committed for over one year if I was given the chance. A few days later I got a call back with a job offer.

Interview Questions
    • They wanted to know what I wanted to do after college. I told them the truth, which at the time I thought I was shooting myself in the foot,   Answer Question

Barista Interview

I applied online for about four locations and a week later i got a call back. They lady asked me a couple questions nothing too hard but being it was my first call back and i was extremely nervous, of course i didn't get the interview. "Well there's other applicants we're looking at, i'll call you if anything comes up"

Interview Questions

Worked for Starbucks? Contribute to the Community!