Starbucks Interview Questions

Updated 23 Oct 2014
1,352 Interview Reviews

2.4

Barista - Starbucks Interview

Just talk about why you want to get in the company and show your passion in coffee, and than they will lead you to answer questions they provide.

Interview Questions
    • How do you get the balance between study and work?   View Answer
    I was not able to negotiate anything for this part time job.

Barista Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Starbucks.

I applied online to a bunch of locations, and I got a callback from one of the Starbucks. I set up a time for an interview, and then I went there that day. I was a little lost, but got there 15 minutes early. They offer you a drink, and I accepted. After about 40 minutes, the manager came out and we started the interview.

We did it inside the store, so it was kind of loud. Sometimes I could barely hear what the manager was saying, but she was super nice.

I brought a resume, and she asked me a question based on what she saw on my resume. Then she asked, "Why Starbucks?"

I practiced and I think I had a pretty good answer, but of course I was nervous.

At the end, she talked about the responsibilities, pay and all that.

I dressed semiformal. Slacks and a collared shirt.

Interview Questions
    • Can you describe your experience in Nicaragua? (I went there during a summer)   Answer Question

Barista - Starbucks Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC (US)

I applied online – interviewed at Starbucks.

You fill out the application online. A store manager calls you in for an interview, and you met with them. If you do well during that interview you will meet with another store manager, or the district manager for that district. In less than two weeks you will hear back from the first manager on whether or not you received the job.

None. One base pay

Barista Interview

hiring process was fairly simple. submit application and then interview. the lady that interviewed me was very nice and the time that she spent with me was a good overview of the company. overall i liked the interview process

Interview Questions
    • why do you feel that you would be a good fit for the team   Answer Question

Applied a week ago. Got a call and met 2 days later
    Manager told me to order a drink. On the house
    Manager was very formal. Followed a script. Asking many "negative" style questions and asking for examples.

Barista Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Starbucks.

Applied in person and was called back for an interview a couple of days later. The interview was at one of their locations and once I arrived they offered me a drink. I met with the manager of the location and the questions were pretty basic like "Why do you want to work here?" and "How would you handle a customer in this situation?". The interview went pretty well and he said he would call as soon as they had narrowed it down. A couple days later they called and asked me to go to another location for a second interview. When I got there I was again offered a drink and sat down to wait. I waited a good 45 minutes before the manager came to talk to me and she said it was because she forgot what time my interview was at. The interview was basically the same as the first and I was told they would call in a few days after they made a decision.

Barista Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Starbucks.

Applications are submitted online. Often people have to call several times to hear back from the store if they have submitted an application. It helps to have a reference or someone you know who already works there, but it is not required. Starbucks does not usually hire people in high school or anyone under 16.

Barista Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Starbucks.

It was a really simple interview; I was asked why I thought I would be a fit for the company, how I would handle unexpected situations and where I saw myself within the next five to ten years. The best answer to give is to hopefully still be growing with them.

Barista/Supervisor Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Starbucks.

I was working at Dunkin donuts before this so I already knew how a coffee shop operated. I applied at a time when the manager was going on medical leave soon and needed to hire for the holidays and to cover her absence. It is a structured interview with questions like "Give an example of a stressful situation you dealt with" or "How would you handle a difficult customer".

It is very laid back and comfortable

I got hired at a higher rate than normal because of my experience and I was getting higher pay at dunkin than what Starbucks actually hired me at

Interview Questions
    Starbucks is very cheap with their pay hard to negotiate

Barista - Starbucks Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Starbucks.

My interviewer was very nice. I was called almost immediately after submitting an application and brought in for an interview right away. Google "how to interview with Starbucks" and look for videos and articles about potential questions. The interviewer wants to make sure you know how to work under pressure, do everything possible to make a customer happy, and how to problem-solve if something goes wrong. I was familiar with the menu before going in, but a lot of new partners who came in after me were not.

If you are not familiar with Starbucks visit a location (even if it is not the one you applying to work at) to check out the menu and maybe treat yourself to a drink so you are familiar with the product. You can also look at the menu online. Nobody will quiz on the menu during an interview, but you can mention menu items in your answers to sound more informed for example the interviewer might ask:
    Q "How would you help a customer who has never been to Starbucks select a drink?"
    A "If a new customer came in I would ask him/her do you like really sweet drinks? If 'yes' then I would suggest a white mocha, if 'no' then I would suggest a plain cappuccino."

Interview Questions
    • Be prepared to talk about a time you helped rectify a mistake. You may get a question like: "When did you make a mistake and how did you fix it?" You can always pause, and if you genuinely don't know how to answer a question you can ask to come back to the question.   Answer Question
    No negotiation. They just said "our base pay for new baristas is $9 plus tips" the tips were not as nice as the shift manager advertised. FYI if your fellow partners don't put the tips in the safe frequently, they WILL get stollen if you work in a busy location.