Starbucks Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Aug 26, 2014
1,250 interviews

2.5

Barista - Starbucks Interview

Just talk about why you want to get in the company and show your passion in coffee, and than they will lead you to answer questions they provide.

Interview Questions
    • How do you get the balance between study and work?   View Answer
    I was not able to negotiate anything for this part time job.

Assistant Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Starbucks in March 2014.

I submitted an application online. Received a call from a recruiter about a week later for an initial phone screen. During this brief 15 minute conversation, I was asked about my current responsibilities at my job and how it relates to the ASM position, and how my education (BA in Business) has prepared me for the role. Of course, you will also be asked "Why Starbucks?". It's good to answer that question with a story of a great experience you've had at Starbucks and why that has shown you that you want to be a part of the culture. Be prepared to answer what the highlights of your career have been so far, and if you have experience with profit and loss statements (trust me, they will ask this). If you have no P&L experience, be up front about that, but tell them about what financial documents you do have access to (I have no P&L responsibility in my current role, but I have access to sales numbers and guest survey scores. I also mentioned that I took three accounting classes in college and am very familiar with P&Ls as a result). It was all informal, not technically an interview, but you do need to make a good impression to get asked for the real phone interview.

The next step is a more in depth phone interview, about 45 mins, with the same recruiter. All behavioral questions, STAR format. They will go over the "hows" of your resume more than the "whats". Be prepared with specific examples. Feel free to use names of co workers to help make your stories more real and personal. The questions I was asked:

-Tell me about a time when you had an uncooperative coworker or a coworker you didn't get along with. What was the situation, why were they uncooperative, what was the result?
    -Tell me about a time you had to plan out a project. What was your role, etc.
    -Tell me about a time you had to have a tough conversation with someone at work.
    -Tell me about a time you had to bring a co-workers performance up.

They will ask probing questions about additional actions you took, why you think coworkers were acting in a particular way, etc. Make sure you're able to get as specific as possible about these situations and your actions in them. I passed and was immediately asked for possible dates for a final interview.

The next interview is in-person with two District Managers at a local Starbucks. It will take place on the floor within earshot of customers, so be prepared to that. Be sure to accept the offer of a free drink, because you want to show that you love coffee. Obviously, don't ask for a caramel Frappucino or something ridiculous. I kept it simple and got a Venti Pike Place blend.

The two DMs will probably both have an interview packet, but it will be mostly one asking the questions and one writing your answers (for me it was a little bit of both). These questions are largely the same as the phone interview questions. My questions were:

-Tell me about a time when you had a communication breakdown with a co worker or with your team.
    -Tell me about a time you had to have a tough conversation with a co worker (exact question from the phone interview)
    -What are your strengths? Give an example of a time you displayed this.
    -What are your weaknesses? What are you doing to work on this?
    -What are you doing for your personal and professional development?
    -Tell me about a time when you didn't have all the answers or didn't know what to do next (this may be the most important question, because they told me they usually never get good answers to this. Luckily, mine was high scope and relevant)
    -Tell me about a time when you had to plan out a project. (Same as phone interview question. Make sure you give a high scope answer)

They'll ask you if you have any questions and if you have anything to add. Ask about community projects at Starbucks and how you can get involved, how much autonomy ASMs have to make decisions, why the DMs themselves chose Starbucks, etc.

I interviewed on a Friday and got the offer Monday afternoon. I'm incredibly excited for this opportunity. I want to make sure everyone can prepare for these interviews as well as I did, so I wanted to make this as detailed as possible.

Interview Questions
    • "Tell me about a time you didn't have all the answers" and "Tell me about a time when you had to plan out a project". Make sure these answers are very high scope and show critical thinking, talent management, inspiration, etc.   View Answer
    Minimal negotiation room. I was hired at one of the highest pay grades for ASMs at 37k because of my experience and my BA in Business. The benefits are excellent and are really what sets Starbucks apart. I accepted this offer over a potential $43k offer from a different company because of the culture and benefits here.

Barista Interview

I interviewed through other source. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Starbucks in March 2012.

I had a manager from another Starbucks refer me to another manager at a nearby location. I was already a customer for 2 years and knew only the manager who referred me. The other manager approached me inside Starbucks and asked if I was interested in a job (I had tried to get a job at the store I frequented every day). I said yes and she asked me for my phone number and called me the next day to set up an interview time. It was about three days away. I showed up at the interview and it took only about 20 minutes. I was cheery and upbeat in my interview and was honest that I was not a morning person, which worked out great because she listened and started me out on nights after my two-week paid training. She called me about a day or two after saying I was hired and told me when my training started.

Interview Questions
    • What was one situation where you had a customer complaint and how did you address/fix the problem?   Answer Question

Barista Interview

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Starbucks.

A friend of mine was hired at my Starbucks and let me know that the store manager needed to hire around 12 baristas to replace those that were going to leave to open a new store. I applied on August 1st, and my friend told me that the manager would check the following monday. About a week passed and I still received no phone call so I called the store, and it turns out that the manager was going to call me that same day because she had just finished reviewing my application. She did a mini phone interview where she asked me why I wanted to work at Starbucks and we set up an interview for the following wednesday. When I got to the store, I told the barista about my interview with the manager, and after coming from the back to let the manager know, he asked if I wanted something to drink while I waited. TAKE THE DRINK! My manager actually used it for the interview. The manager had a packet of questions to ask me (which probably don't differ too much from other Starbucks locations) and it was a bit longer than I was expecting. They were pretty much all situational questions (Ex: name a time when you had to complete a project in a short amount of time). She also asked me about what I was drinking, and how I would sell it to a customer (I would recommend looking at the Starbucks menu beforehand and learning how your favorite drink is made). After the interview she asked if I had any questions, and I learned that I would be making $8.25 an hour, plus tips (which she said was on average about $1.30 an hour). She told me that the training would be intense, and that since I would be working in a drive-thru location, the hours are a little longer. She told me that she had very little positions left, but that she was very impressed by me and that I would make a great addition to the Starbucks family. I also had to give her my date of birth so that she could authorize the background check that is required of all prospective employees. About a week after the interview is when I got the call letting me know that I got the job.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work at Starbucks?
      How would you handle a dissatisfied customer?
      What do you do for fun?
        Answer Question
    After reading on Glassdoor that the average barista salary was $8.50-$9.00 an hour, I tried to negotiate my salary a little bit. I was very nervous about the negotiation because this is my first retail job, but the manager was very nice about it, asked me how much I wanted, and explained to me that the salary she offered me was pretty much the starting salary for every Starbucks barista in the area, and that only the baristas that have to pay for parking (like in garages or meters) are payed a little more to compensate. Either way, I don't regret asking and I recommend that everyone try to negotiate their salary!

Barista Interview

Interviewed with the asst. store manager. They have pre-made interview question cards, so they just grab those and flick through them and ask you questions. Look on the internet for standard interview questions and they are those. Stuff like "tell me about a time where you went above any beyond..." that kind of thing. Pretty easy, they just want to make sure you're nice, not a moron can think and won't blow up on a customer who's venti triple latte has too much foam on it lol.

Interview Questions
    • Stuff like "tell me about a time where you went above any beyond..." that kind of thing.   Answer Question
    None.

Barista - Starbucks Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Pittsburg, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburg, CA (US)

I interviewed in-person. The process took 4 days - interviewed at Starbucks in September 2010.

It's pretty straight forward. Dress up nicely and don't forget to be uppity.
    The usual questions like, "what do you know about us?", "how did you hear of us hiring?", "what sets you apart from others?" etc. They really like it when you talk about being on time and being a hard worker. These qualities will keep you working there.
    You will be in or outside of the store. You will be asked out how you would deal with various types of customers and people. They will want you to lead the conversation at certain points. Be aware of your surroundings as well because they might want you to know about their customers and on the job conduct.

Interview Questions
    • What sets you apart from others?

What do you notice about our customers and workers?
        View Answer
    If you haven't worked before you're starting pay is almost always above minimum wage so don't try to push it more that small amounts. If you have worked in similar positions tell them about your previous pay and they will more than likely bring up your wage.

Barista Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I interviewed online - interviewed at Starbucks in August 2014.

I applied online in August, and within days I got a call for an interview.
    At the interview they asked if I wanted a drink, and we proceeded to talk. We had a long, nice conversation after which the manager decided to hire me.

Barista - Starbucks Interview

I interviewed online - interviewed at Starbucks in March 2014.

Two one-on-one interviews. Quick sign-on process. Mostly scenario questions. Not a very difficult interview. They ask if you like coffee and why Starbucks. I was honest and said I don't like coffee and choose Starbucks for the environment.

Interview Questions
    • "Explain a time in which you experienced conflict with a co-worker?"   Answer Question

Barista - Starbucks Interview

I interviewed online - interviewed at Starbucks in August 2014.

Was a regular customer and put in an application. Called store multiple times a week but hiring manager was never there. After leaving many messages about my application, i got a call about two weeks later to come in for an interview. They will offer free coffee of your store,always accept it. Was so scared i looked online for help with possible interview questions but Was asked very basic questions for my personal interview. Manager kept looking away, getting on her phone, and interrupting the interview to speak with customers full on. I felt it was very rude. She did throw a few jokes in there but otherwise stayed pretty serious. Was offered a full time job,and accepted. I started two days later with "training." Was told i would get adequate training, but in reality i am still trying to understand things because i have to learn by watching others while stuck on drive thru,also with no knowledge on how to work this. All of the employees said they learned this way as well.

Interview Questions
    • Very basic - Why do you want to work here?   View Answer
    No negotiation. Baristas here start at 7.45 an hour plus occassional tips on tuesdays.

Barista - Starbucks Interview

I interviewed in-person. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Starbucks.

Interview was straight forward. Asked me some basic questions about myself and requirements for the job. Nothing too tricky. Interview was conducted by a area manager and store manager so it was a 2:1 interview. Atmosphere was relaxing and they even offered a drink which was nice. interview lasted maybe 20-30 mins. I recommend just going there with your qualifications and be yourself, there is nothing to difficult about the hiring process unless you come across as a difficult person to talk to.

Interview Questions
    No negotiations since its runs accordingly to its hiring process and salary payouts

Worked for Starbucks? Contribute to the Community!