State Street

Average Difficulty
382 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Sydney

The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at State Street in July 2011.

Interview Details I applied online on 2nd June 2011, got a 30 mins phone interview from HR a week later. The phone interview consists of both normal interview questions and behavious questions( no technical Q here!) I then got another call from HR to schedule an interview with 2 account managers on 27th june. It was a friendly one hour interview that consists of most behavious questions. I passed the first interview, and been scheduled the second interview with both account manager and assistant Unit head a week later (on 4th July). The second interview was relatively more serious, but overall was ok. It took me 40 mins and consists of most behavious questions.
After a long wait, about two week and a half, i got the offer! Thank god!

Interview Question – Tell me about yourself and most behaviour questions like how to work in a team and how to overcome stress.   Answer Question

Sydney

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at State Street in January 2009.

Interview Details Applied online through the company website. Got a call from HR for the phone interview. Received e-mail approximately a week later to notify that the application had gone through to the next round which was the interview with the fund manager and account manager. Made appointment for the interview. Went on for the interview, approximately one hour. Questions range from education, work experience, personality, what-if cases, technical questions. Got a call approximately 3 days later to notify me of the offer. Submitted all the documents requires, e.g. course transcript, letter of completion, visa, passport, and filled application form.

Interview Question – How to value a portfolio?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I did not negotiate initially since I was not thinking of taking the job. However, in the end, I accepted the offer to fulfill my visa requirements. At that stage, negotiation was impossible.

Fund Accountant Associate I Interview

Fund Accountant Associate I
Sydney

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at State Street in January 2010.

Interview Details I applied to this Fund Accountant role through seek.com.au with no relative work experience fresh out of university with a combined Accounting and Economics degree. I had really strong results and was approached very quickly after having applied (2-3 days). The first step in this process was to undertake a telephone based personality interview in which a member of the SS recruitment team asked a number of normal questions to get a guage on the candidates personality. For example... Why do you want to work in the Finance industry? What draws you to State Street? What do you look for in an organisation? etc etc.

If you pass this quick (15 min) phone based interview, you will be asked to interview with a panel of senior stakeholders in the organisation. My own interview was with three such managers and was very laid back and easygoing in terms of atmosphere. This interview is basically a personality test and a bunch of questions that help the interviewers determine your character, morals and I guess competence. Questions I was asked include how I see myself interacting in a team environment, what sort of challenges I have faced, how am I accurate and detail oriented etc etc. They also asked some basic accounting and finance related questions and hypothetical situations so be ready for that as well.

All in all it was a very warm and friendly interview allowing you to ask any questions you may have of the organisation and for SS to find out more about you as an individual. SS ended up calling me the very next day and offering me the job on the spot.

Interview Question – Nothing difficult here. Just relating to your past work experience. How do you work in a team environment, what would you do in a situation where you thought your immediate supervisor was wrong.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was able to dictate my salary slightly. The position advertised for 35-45k +super. Upon being asked my salary expectations I said honestly that I thought I was worth at least 50k per year base...but ended up being offered the max 45k + super with salary reviews each six months. I haven't been with the company for 6 months yet so will have to wait and see whether these pay rises come to fruition.

Financial Analyst Interview

Financial Analyst
London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at State Street in May 2014.

Interview Details HR Screening call, interview with two managers (1 hour), plus half an hour with HR talent acquisition.
Was told that I would be advised of their decision by the end of the following week, I followed up at the end of that week and was ignored.

Interview Question – Nothing difficult.   Answer Question

Fund Administration Director Interview

Fund Administration Director
Boston, MA (US)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at State Street in November 2012.

Interview Details The interview process was fairly simple. I was contacted by a recruiter and everything was set up through him. I met with two people and the questions were pretty basic and straightforward. It seemed to be more about my personality and whether I would fit well within the team than about my technical expertise.

Staff Account Interview

Staff Account
New York, NY (US)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at State Street.

Interview Details Only one round of interviews. Seemed as though the interview was rushed and that the decision process was a very fast process. This was different from many other firms that I have interviewed with. Timely feedback was provided.

Interview Question – What is a conflict that you've experienced int he work place and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Financial Analyst Interview

Financial Analyst
London, England (UK)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at State Street in August 2010.

Interview Details This was easy with my old bosses but the process has changed. I got called in and they went through my CV and as I was recommended they really just wanted to see if I would fit in with the team. They did a background check after I they offered me the role. This took 2 weeks.

Interview Question – None   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Easy they gave me what I wanted.

Graduate Interview

Graduate
London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 5 months - interviewed at State Street in February 2014.

Interview Details I was first contacted by State Street in February for a official 1st round telephone interview in March for their 2 month internship program. They phoned me 2 weeks later telling me it was postponed and that I will hear from them again soon. Another 1 month (April) later I had to follow up and they informed me that my application was forwarded to the 6 month internship program starting in June. I was initially very happy but then by the month of May, they didn't get back to me. I always had to follow up with them. Really very unprofessional recruitment process and very misleading. Phone interview never materialised

Interview Question – Initial phone interview was pleasant and they asked simple questions about State Street and why you want to work for State Street and in which department   Answer Question

Fund Administrator, Associate I Interview

Fund Administrator, Associate I
Boston, MA (US)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at State Street in June 2014.

Interview Details Applied online. Received a phone call from a recruiter about a week later. Recruiter told me about some positions that matched the resume I applied with online. I told the recruiter I was interested in two of the positions and then recruiter sent along my resume to hiring managers. Found out a week later that for both positions, the hiring mangers did not want to interview me. Almost lost hope, but emailed recruiter again and was provided a similar position to the other two, which I told recruiter I was interested in. Recruiter sent along my resume to hiring managers and got back to me same day saying the managers wanted to interview me. A few days later I was at the interview before two hiring managers. Weren't looking for too much experience but asked questions about experience on resume that was relevant and also asked several behavioral/ situational questions. Overall, the interview experience was fair and only lasted 40 mins. Best advice: Speak clearly and confidently.

Interview Question – Can you provide a detailed example of a time when you exhibited strong time management skills to accomplish a goal or task?   Answer Question

Fund Accountant, Associate I

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at State Street.

Interview Details They asked what interested me about the job and why I wanted the job. The questions were pretty standard and there weren't any questions that I would say caught me off guard. The interview last for about twenty minutes. Once the interview was completed, I got a call a few days later with an offer.

Interview Question – None. The questions were pretty standard   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Worked for State Street? Contribute to the Community!