State Street

Updated 20 Jan 2015

2.6

Fund Accountant, Associate I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney

The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at State Street in July 2011.

I applied online on 2nd June 2011, got a 30 mins phone interview from HR a week later. The phone interview consists of both normal interview questions and behavious questions( no technical Q here!) I then got another call from HR to schedule an interview with 2 account managers on 27th june. It was a friendly one hour interview that consists of most behavious questions. I passed the first interview, and been scheduled the second interview with both account manager and assistant Unit head a week later (on 4th July). The second interview was relatively more serious, but overall was ok. It took me 40 mins and consists of most behavious questions.
    After a long wait, about two week and a half, i got the offer! Thank god!

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about yourself and most behaviour questions like how to work in a team and how to overcome stress.   Answer Question

Fund Accountant Associate I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at State Street in January 2010.

I applied to this Fund Accountant role through seek.com.au with no relative work experience fresh out of university with a combined Accounting and Economics degree. I had really strong results and was approached very quickly after having applied (2-3 days). The first step in this process was to undertake a telephone based personality interview in which a member of the SS recruitment team asked a number of normal questions to get a guage on the candidates personality. For example... Why do you want to work in the Finance industry? What draws you to State Street? What do you look for in an organisation? etc etc.

If you pass this quick (15 min) phone based interview, you will be asked to interview with a panel of senior stakeholders in the organisation. My own interview was with three such managers and was very laid back and easygoing in terms of atmosphere. This interview is basically a personality test and a bunch of questions that help the interviewers determine your character, morals and I guess competence. Questions I was asked include how I see myself interacting in a team environment, what sort of challenges I have faced, how am I accurate and detail oriented etc etc. They also asked some basic accounting and finance related questions and hypothetical situations so be ready for that as well.

All in all it was a very warm and friendly interview allowing you to ask any questions you may have of the organisation and for SS to find out more about you as an individual. SS ended up calling me the very next day and offering me the job on the spot.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing difficult here. Just relating to your past work experience. How do you work in a team environment, what would you do in a situation where you thought your immediate supervisor was wrong.   Answer Question
    I was able to dictate my salary slightly. The position advertised for 35-45k +super. Upon being asked my salary expectations I said honestly that I thought I was worth at least 50k per year base...but ended up being offered the max 45k + super with salary reviews each six months. I haven't been with the company for 6 months yet so will have to wait and see whether these pay rises come to fruition.

Fund Accountant, Associate I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at State Street in January 2009.

Applied online through the company website. Got a call from HR for the phone interview. Received e-mail approximately a week later to notify that the application had gone through to the next round which was the interview with the fund manager and account manager. Made appointment for the interview. Went on for the interview, approximately one hour. Questions range from education, work experience, personality, what-if cases, technical questions. Got a call approximately 3 days later to notify me of the offer. Submitted all the documents requires, e.g. course transcript, letter of completion, visa, passport, and filled application form.

Interview Questions
    I did not negotiate initially since I was not thinking of taking the job. However, in the end, I accepted the offer to fulfill my visa requirements. At that stage, negotiation was impossible.

PDP Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at State Street.

Two 30 minute phone interviews about my background, interest in the company and the professional development program, past experiences.

one super day consisting of two 20 min interviews and a 20 minute presentation on a topic shared 36 hours in advance.

Interview Questions
    • no techincal questions, However I had to portray knowledge of the company and industry, as well as the qualifications for the position.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at State Street.

I was contacted by a recruiter after filling out an online application. Wąs asked to schedule a phone interview. The phone interview took about 20 minutes, standard questions about previous work and school. After the phone interview I was contacted to come in for a in person interview. I was interviewed by 2 associates from the department that was adding an intern to there team. Standard questions once again but more in depth, more questions about school work than anything.

Interview Questions
    • Was there a time in class were you didn't perform your best and why?   Answer Question
    No negotiations, rate was set

Client Operations Administrative Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at State Street.

HR recruiter contacted me via phone about my interests in the company. I gave her my preferences for open positions, and she told me she would call back the next day to schedule an appointment for both positions. She got back to me a week later (meanwhile, three other HR recruiters contacted me individually, not realizing I already had an HR recruiter handling my application). After about almost a month of phone calls and emails here and there, I finally went in for an interview. Interview itself was easy - generic behavioral questions and a few technical questions about mutual funds. HR recruiter gave me the wrong start time for my first day at work, as well as the wrong start time for my first day of official training. Apparently, this same recruiter made the same mistake with another employee that came in before me. Bottomline: HR recruiter made this process more arduous and stressful than needed.

Non-negotiable. Entry-level pay is terrible, but I took it for the experience.

Custody and Fund Account Department ( Associate I) Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at State Street.

I did 4 Interviews at State Street for an Associate I position. 2 Interviews by phone with an Talent Acquisition Specialist, we talked about State Street and what they do and why do you want work there. Other 2 interviews were face to face(One with a head of HR department and one with a 2 Managers). The last one interview was more technical(Derivative, Fund Account, Financial Instruments), How work under stress with deadlines.

Interview Questions
    • It was been a normal Interview and the Managers were very friendly   Answer Question
    Impossible negotiate but the salary is attractive like the other big banks.

University Relations Recruiter (EMEA) Interview

I applied online – interviewed at State Street in January 2015.

Initially, I was contacted by e-mail to express my availability for a phone interview. But, they didn't call me so I sent an e-mail to the recruiter to confirm the scheduled interview. Again, I received no answer at that time. After one week, they wrote an e-mail saying that I was not selected for the interview. I don't understand why they made contact with me to schedule an interview if they believe that I am not qualified for it. I am disappointed with this company and I won't apply again.

Audit Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at State Street.

Interviewing manager was very professional and charismatic. Asked about my current position and provided a detailed understanding of the role they were looking to fill. The interviewing manager had a clear understanding of what the role that needed to be filled required from their candidate. I walked away thinking that if I made the transition, I would not be disappointed.

Cash Processing Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at State Street.

Arrive early. It is kind of slow when you check-in. I waited more than 10 minutes in line. It is a comfortable interview. Not a lot interview questions for me. maybe left a bad impression already.