State Street Interview Questions

Updated Sep 9, 2014

2.6

Fund Accountant, Associate I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney

The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at State Street in July 2011.

I applied online on 2nd June 2011, got a 30 mins phone interview from HR a week later. The phone interview consists of both normal interview questions and behavious questions( no technical Q here!) I then got another call from HR to schedule an interview with 2 account managers on 27th june. It was a friendly one hour interview that consists of most behavious questions. I passed the first interview, and been scheduled the second interview with both account manager and assistant Unit head a week later (on 4th July). The second interview was relatively more serious, but overall was ok. It took me 40 mins and consists of most behavious questions.
    After a long wait, about two week and a half, i got the offer! Thank god!

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about yourself and most behaviour questions like how to work in a team and how to overcome stress.   Answer Question

Fund Accountant, Associate I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at State Street in January 2009.

Applied online through the company website. Got a call from HR for the phone interview. Received e-mail approximately a week later to notify that the application had gone through to the next round which was the interview with the fund manager and account manager. Made appointment for the interview. Went on for the interview, approximately one hour. Questions range from education, work experience, personality, what-if cases, technical questions. Got a call approximately 3 days later to notify me of the offer. Submitted all the documents requires, e.g. course transcript, letter of completion, visa, passport, and filled application form.

Interview Questions
    I did not negotiate initially since I was not thinking of taking the job. However, in the end, I accepted the offer to fulfill my visa requirements. At that stage, negotiation was impossible.

Fund Accountant Associate I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at State Street in January 2010.

I applied to this Fund Accountant role through seek.com.au with no relative work experience fresh out of university with a combined Accounting and Economics degree. I had really strong results and was approached very quickly after having applied (2-3 days). The first step in this process was to undertake a telephone based personality interview in which a member of the SS recruitment team asked a number of normal questions to get a guage on the candidates personality. For example... Why do you want to work in the Finance industry? What draws you to State Street? What do you look for in an organisation? etc etc.

If you pass this quick (15 min) phone based interview, you will be asked to interview with a panel of senior stakeholders in the organisation. My own interview was with three such managers and was very laid back and easygoing in terms of atmosphere. This interview is basically a personality test and a bunch of questions that help the interviewers determine your character, morals and I guess competence. Questions I was asked include how I see myself interacting in a team environment, what sort of challenges I have faced, how am I accurate and detail oriented etc etc. They also asked some basic accounting and finance related questions and hypothetical situations so be ready for that as well.

All in all it was a very warm and friendly interview allowing you to ask any questions you may have of the organisation and for SS to find out more about you as an individual. SS ended up calling me the very next day and offering me the job on the spot.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing difficult here. Just relating to your past work experience. How do you work in a team environment, what would you do in a situation where you thought your immediate supervisor was wrong.   Answer Question
    I was able to dictate my salary slightly. The position advertised for 35-45k +super. Upon being asked my salary expectations I said honestly that I thought I was worth at least 50k per year base...but ended up being offered the max 45k + super with salary reviews each six months. I haven't been with the company for 6 months yet so will have to wait and see whether these pay rises come to fruition.

Fund Accountant Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at State Street in September 2014.

I had 2 phone interviews. First interview was very relaxed with general questions about CV, knowledge of State Street, expected salary, holiday plans and location preferred. The call finished with the lady telling me that I had got to the next round which would be a more formal interview and gave me general guidelines on expected questions.
    Second interview was much more formal and to the point. Asked questions about how i dealt with mistakes at work and dealing with a difficult colleague, asked about statestreet, he also asked about Fund, NAV, Derivative, Bond and Equity.
    Interviewee said I would hear back either way within three weeks as he needs to confirm from the hiring manager if there's a vacancy.

Interview Questions
    • Have you made mistakes at work?
      Dealing with a difficult colleague?
      What I knew about Statestreet?
      How will you complete a project before the deadline?
      Fund?
      Bond?
      Equity?
      NAV?
      Derivative?
        Answer Question

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Pune (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pune (India)

I applied through other source. The process took a day - interviewed at State Street in August 2014.

First they will take aptitude test, then you have to wait for 1 hour for aptitude test result,
    next will be HR ROUND & FINALLY TECHNICAL ROUND. BUT IT WILL TAKE FULL DAY.

SALARY OFFERED WAS NOT UPTO THE MARK

Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at State Street in June 2014.

2 Interviews. Met with employees. Took a quiz. Was interesting. Met with recruiter. Advised that I go in. Office space could be better.

Mutual Fund Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 days - interviewed at State Street.

Entry level positions are usually one interview with a couple people. Promotions are mostly within and with one or more managers. Interview questions are mostly standard for entry levels and varies for more senior positions.

Interview Questions
    • Technical questions and people skill questions are most difficult   Answer Question

Client Services Fund Accountant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Quincy, MA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Quincy, MA (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at State Street in June 2014.

I only went on one interview that was set up by my recruiter. It was a fairly simple process. I got a slight tour of the building at first and then we sat in the conference room on the floor that the hiring manager worked on. We had a little small talk and then went over my resume and what the job I was applying for entailed.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a project you worked on.   View Answer

Fund Administrator - Associate II Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at State Street in May 2012.

Went for one interview with two interviewers, behavior questions based, got a call back several weeks later and got hired. There was not much room for negotiation in terms of salary but I did get more sign on bonus in the end.

Interview Questions
    There was not much room to negotiate. I did get more sign on bonus but was not able to increase the salary.

SSGM Officer Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Boston, MA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA (US)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at State Street in July 2014.

Applied online was contacted two weeks later by State Street's HR department. Quick phone call, mostly informational about the position and discussion of my compensation expectations.

Next week went into State Streets office to interview with the VP and and AVP in the group for one hour. Standard discussion of my resume and interests.

Offer extended the next week. Came in somewhat low, they came back the next week with a higher offer but was still lower than what I was offered at another company I interviewed with during the same period.

Interview Questions
    • Very basic questions about my experience and handling different difficult situations that can occur when managing various stakeholders on one project   View Answer

Initial offer was low, was able to negotiate for an addtional $5k but still came in under what another company offered where the work was also more interesting

Worked for State Street? Contribute to the Community!