State Street Interview Questions

Updated 22 Oct 2014

2.6

Fund Accountant, Associate I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney

The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at State Street in July 2011.

I applied online on 2nd June 2011, got a 30 mins phone interview from HR a week later. The phone interview consists of both normal interview questions and behavious questions( no technical Q here!) I then got another call from HR to schedule an interview with 2 account managers on 27th june. It was a friendly one hour interview that consists of most behavious questions. I passed the first interview, and been scheduled the second interview with both account manager and assistant Unit head a week later (on 4th July). The second interview was relatively more serious, but overall was ok. It took me 40 mins and consists of most behavious questions.
    After a long wait, about two week and a half, i got the offer! Thank god!

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about yourself and most behaviour questions like how to work in a team and how to overcome stress.   Answer Question

Fund Accountant Associate I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at State Street in January 2010.

I applied to this Fund Accountant role through seek.com.au with no relative work experience fresh out of university with a combined Accounting and Economics degree. I had really strong results and was approached very quickly after having applied (2-3 days). The first step in this process was to undertake a telephone based personality interview in which a member of the SS recruitment team asked a number of normal questions to get a guage on the candidates personality. For example... Why do you want to work in the Finance industry? What draws you to State Street? What do you look for in an organisation? etc etc.

If you pass this quick (15 min) phone based interview, you will be asked to interview with a panel of senior stakeholders in the organisation. My own interview was with three such managers and was very laid back and easygoing in terms of atmosphere. This interview is basically a personality test and a bunch of questions that help the interviewers determine your character, morals and I guess competence. Questions I was asked include how I see myself interacting in a team environment, what sort of challenges I have faced, how am I accurate and detail oriented etc etc. They also asked some basic accounting and finance related questions and hypothetical situations so be ready for that as well.

All in all it was a very warm and friendly interview allowing you to ask any questions you may have of the organisation and for SS to find out more about you as an individual. SS ended up calling me the very next day and offering me the job on the spot.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing difficult here. Just relating to your past work experience. How do you work in a team environment, what would you do in a situation where you thought your immediate supervisor was wrong.   Answer Question
    I was able to dictate my salary slightly. The position advertised for 35-45k +super. Upon being asked my salary expectations I said honestly that I thought I was worth at least 50k per year base...but ended up being offered the max 45k + super with salary reviews each six months. I haven't been with the company for 6 months yet so will have to wait and see whether these pay rises come to fruition.

Fund Accountant, Associate I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at State Street in January 2009.

Applied online through the company website. Got a call from HR for the phone interview. Received e-mail approximately a week later to notify that the application had gone through to the next round which was the interview with the fund manager and account manager. Made appointment for the interview. Went on for the interview, approximately one hour. Questions range from education, work experience, personality, what-if cases, technical questions. Got a call approximately 3 days later to notify me of the offer. Submitted all the documents requires, e.g. course transcript, letter of completion, visa, passport, and filled application form.

Interview Questions
    I did not negotiate initially since I was not thinking of taking the job. However, in the end, I accepted the offer to fulfill my visa requirements. At that stage, negotiation was impossible.

Business Analyst Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at State Street.

Average interview,Mostly behavioral questions, nothing unexpected. took them quiet a while to process my application thought. Phone interview was some basic questions regarding your availability, I was interviewed by a manager

Analyst Interview

Interviewer is nice, asked some technical questions, about derivatives, time series, fixed income products, and behavioral questions like what is your interest, disadvantages, advantages, what is your understanding about our company, last about 1h

Advisor Representative Interview

2 interviews. First one was with 3 people (HR, line manager and business deputy). Nice natured and well conducted interview with a few questions about work previously performed and testing water about global custody. Was more looking for potential as opposed to someone hitting the ground running. Within a week was final interview with business area manager and again the deputy manager. Company came across very professional and left good impression.

Interview Questions
    • Give examples of how you would react and deal effectively with an irate client?   Answer Question

Accounting Specialist, Associate I Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at State Street.

Started with a phone interview with HR. Very basic questions - what is a mutual fund? What do you know about State Street?
    Second interview was with group Vice President and group officer. There were a lot of situational questions to see how you think and problem solve.

Interview Questions
    • All questions were pretty standard - nothing off the wall. The interview process was designed to get a feel for your personality and problem solving methodology.   Answer Question
    I was able to negotiate. They stated that the company does not negotiate, but with the help of this site, I was able to get a bump in pay after stating positive attributes. I thought over the original offer and didn't accept immediately.

Officer Interview

Most interviews at State Street are pretty short and painless. You will have to meet with two people in the room. One person will most likely be more senior than the other and lead the dicusssion. There is a set list of standard HR questions that are supposed to be asked, but most interviewers have their own set of targeted questions to ask based on the group they are in.

Interview Questions
    • Describe an idea you came up with to improve a process in your current job [or at college]. How did you identify the need to improve? What approach did you take? What was the outcome?   Answer Question

Fund Accountant Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at State Street in September 2014.

I had 2 phone interviews. First interview was very relaxed with general questions about CV, knowledge of State Street, expected salary, holiday plans and location preferred. The call finished with the lady telling me that I had got to the next round which would be a more formal interview and gave me general guidelines on expected questions.
    Second interview was much more formal and to the point. Asked questions about how i dealt with mistakes at work and dealing with a difficult colleague, asked about statestreet, he also asked about Fund, NAV, Derivative, Bond and Equity.
    Interviewee said I would hear back either way within three weeks as he needs to confirm from the hiring manager if there's a vacancy.

Interview Questions
    • Have you made mistakes at work?
      Dealing with a difficult colleague?
      What I knew about Statestreet?
      How will you complete a project before the deadline?
      Fund?
      Bond?
      Equity?
      NAV?
      Derivative?
        Answer Question

Bank Loan Specialist Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at State Street in September 2014.

Got a call from HR for a phone interview. Set up an in person interview two weeks later. Arrived and everything was straight forward, no technical questions. Met with two managers at the same time and walked through my resume. Whole thing lasted around 30-45 minutes.

Low Salary