State Street

Updated 24 Feb 2015
Updated 24 Feb 2015

2.6

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney

The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at State Street in July 2011.

I applied online on 2nd June 2011, got a 30 mins phone interview from HR a week later. The phone interview consists of both normal interview questions and behavious questions( no technical Q here!) I then got another call from HR to schedule an interview with 2 account managers on 27th june. It was a friendly one hour interview that consists of most behavious questions. I passed the first interview, and been scheduled the second interview with both account manager and assistant Unit head a week later (on 4th July). The second interview was relatively more serious, but overall was ok. It took me 40 mins and consists of most behavious questions.
    After a long wait, about two week and a half, i got the offer! Thank god!

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about yourself and most behaviour questions like how to work in a team and how to overcome stress.   Answer Question

Fund Accountant Associate I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at State Street in January 2010.

I applied to this Fund Accountant role through seek.com.au with no relative work experience fresh out of university with a combined Accounting and Economics degree. I had really strong results and was approached very quickly after having applied (2-3 days). The first step in this process was to undertake a telephone based personality interview in which a member of the SS recruitment team asked a number of normal questions to get a guage on the candidates personality. For example... Why do you want to work in the Finance industry? What draws you to State Street? What do you look for in an organisation? etc etc.

If you pass this quick (15 min) phone based interview, you will be asked to interview with a panel of senior stakeholders in the organisation. My own interview was with three such managers and was very laid back and easygoing in terms of atmosphere. This interview is basically a personality test and a bunch of questions that help the interviewers determine your character, morals and I guess competence. Questions I was asked include how I see myself interacting in a team environment, what sort of challenges I have faced, how am I accurate and detail oriented etc etc. They also asked some basic accounting and finance related questions and hypothetical situations so be ready for that as well.

All in all it was a very warm and friendly interview allowing you to ask any questions you may have of the organisation and for SS to find out more about you as an individual. SS ended up calling me the very next day and offering me the job on the spot.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing difficult here. Just relating to your past work experience. How do you work in a team environment, what would you do in a situation where you thought your immediate supervisor was wrong.   Answer Question
    I was able to dictate my salary slightly. The position advertised for 35-45k +super. Upon being asked my salary expectations I said honestly that I thought I was worth at least 50k per year base...but ended up being offered the max 45k + super with salary reviews each six months. I haven't been with the company for 6 months yet so will have to wait and see whether these pay rises come to fruition.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at State Street in January 2009.

Applied online through the company website. Got a call from HR for the phone interview. Received e-mail approximately a week later to notify that the application had gone through to the next round which was the interview with the fund manager and account manager. Made appointment for the interview. Went on for the interview, approximately one hour. Questions range from education, work experience, personality, what-if cases, technical questions. Got a call approximately 3 days later to notify me of the offer. Submitted all the documents requires, e.g. course transcript, letter of completion, visa, passport, and filled application form.

Interview Questions
    I did not negotiate initially since I was not thinking of taking the job. However, in the end, I accepted the offer to fulfill my visa requirements. At that stage, negotiation was impossible.

Future Focus Program Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at State Street.

I was contacted by a member of the Talent Acquisition Team and they gave a brief screening and then setup an interview with me for the following week.

The interview was done by two current employees. The interview started with a brief description of what the two employees have done while at State Street. Then I was asked to go through my resume and describe everything on it. That was followed by a few situational questions. Which finally was followed by them giving me the opportunity to ask them any questions I had.

I current am waiting to hear back from the HR team on any following steps.

Overall it was a quick process but a good one to say the least.

Interview Questions
    • name a time where you had to work with a group of people and describe the process and how you overcame obstacles if there was any.   Answer Question

Co Op Interview

I applied online – interviewed at State Street.

Similar to any other one, they asked lots of question about what you wanted from us and also waht your visions were by working here. Your goals were very important to getting what you wanted from the company, its a true business partnership

Pricing Specialist Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at State Street.

Friendly interviewers, explained what my day to day role would be. Straight forward behavioural interview questions. They seem really pleased when you can tell them something about the company that they don't expect you to know (philantrophy). There were 2 interviewers alternating questions. Also make you have GOOD quality questions to ask them at the end with regards to the company/job. They loved that

Derivative Specialist Interview

I applied online – interviewed at State Street in February 2015.

I have just had the first phone interview lasted 30 minutes. Questions were about my previous academic and work experience, some behavioral and motivational questions and a couple of technical though. Now there will be another phone interview and the next step (hopefully) it will be on site, the recruiter also said that I have to provide by myself for the expenses of the trip, since I applied from Italy for a position abroad.

Interview Questions
    • What is a bond?
      What is a fund?
      Name some Excel functions

Answer Question

Future Focus Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at State Street in February 2015.

I was contacted by a recruiter and had a breif phone interview. The following day, I was contacted to set up an interview at the company that week. The in person interview was about 45 minutes with two State Street employees. It was your typical behavioral questions. After asking certain questions, they went through my resume, then I had the chance to ask questions. Overall it was an easy and quick process, but a positive one.

Interview Questions
    • situational questions about groups; how do you check your work; leadership experience   Answer Question

Fund Accountant, Associate I Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA (US)
    Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA (US)

I applied online – interviewed at State Street in February 2015.

Applied online and got a call from HR after two weeks. Set up an interview in the following week. Was first interviewed by two people which lasted about 30 min, and then was interviewed by the manager which took about 30 min.

Client Operations Administrative Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at State Street.

HR recruiter contacted me via phone about my interests in the company. I gave her my preferences for open positions, and she told me she would call back the next day to schedule an appointment for both positions. She got back to me a week later (meanwhile, three other HR recruiters contacted me individually, not realizing I already had an HR recruiter handling my application). After about almost a month of phone calls and emails here and there, I finally went in for an interview. Interview itself was easy - generic behavioral questions and a few technical questions about mutual funds. HR recruiter gave me the wrong start time for my first day at work, as well as the wrong start time for my first day of official training. Apparently, this same recruiter made the same mistake with another employee that came in before me. Bottomline: HR recruiter made this process more arduous and stressful than needed.

Non-negotiable. Entry-level pay is terrible, but I took it for the experience.