State of California Office of Statewide Health Planning

Accountant Traine Interview

Nice and friendly. Typical Interview Questions

Parole Agent III Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sacramento, CA (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 12 months - interviewed at State of California Office of Statewide Health Planning in March 2009.

Bachelor degree minimum required. Be aware of all applicable Laws governing Parole and Treatment of convicted felons while under supervision. Written exam 3 hours. Oral interview, Peace Officer background

Interview Questions
    • If you discover an Agent is lying about his work detail and you are required to fire this person. Even if this person has been in life threatening situations with you before...   View Answer
    none. Job offer I accepted

Claim Examiner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Diego, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA (US)

I applied through other source - interviewed at State of California Office of Statewide Health Planning in June 2009.

they were looking for bilinguals when i was hired

Interview Questions
    • they have the typical questions - you are interviewed by the managers   Answer Question
    you start at the lowest pay always and slowly increased until you cap

Personnel Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at State of California Office of Statewide Health Planning.

Mostly based on Resume. Had to take a test and was required to have at least 2 years of college. The interview was mostly impersonal and disconcerting. Who I was and I could bring to the job was not as big a consideration as was my attitude about be a "team member" My qualification werer breezed over quickly. The interview last about 10 minutes.

Interview Questions
    • Do I have any strong negative issures about unions.   View Answer
    There was none. I was called by someone in personnel and informed that I had been accepted and could begin orintation the following Monday. The salary benefits were establish prio to the call.

Auditor Evaluator I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sacramento, CA (US)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at State of California Office of Statewide Health Planning in May 2011.

I submitted the state application together with resume through email. Approximately three weeks after the final filing deadline, I received a call from the Department and scheduled an in-person interview. Since a lot of applicants were coming from different states, the department offered the same interview either by phone or in-person. As I was told by the department, the interview consisted of 5 questions including behavioral and situation questions.

This was a panel interview with 2 interviewers. First, I was assigned to sit in a small room, and they provided a sheet of paper which contained the five questions that they were going to ask during the interview. After about 10 minutes, I was directed into another room for the interview. One of the interviewer read the questions one by one, and they gave you enough time to answer each one of them. You could go back to a particular question to add more details to your answers later. The interviewers wrote down your answers in their worksheets.

Behavioral questions included:
    Tell me about a team experience that wasn't functioning well
    Tell me about a team experience on a subject that you never worked on

The other two situation questions were case study regarding performance audit for government agencies. You need to provide details about how you will audit them in the situation provided.

After the interview, they allowed sometime for you to ask questions. The interviewers were nice and talked about the weather and driving condition before we began. You just need to be prepared and tell your stories. They will not interact with you while you are providing your answers. It was very competitive. I heard from the interviewer that they received over 15,000 applications.

Interview Questions
    • In this situation, what are the objectives of your audit for this government agency to ensure that they are in compliance with the applicable regulation?   Answer Question

Staff Services Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at State of California Office of Statewide Health Planning in April 2013.

Submitted standard state application on the final filing date. I was contacted within a week of submitting the application to set up and interview for the following week. There were two people on the interview panel. My observations of the employees was mostly positive, people were friendly and open.

I was given 15 minutes to provide references and review the interview questions. Take advantage of this short time to look over all the questions and make notes on the points you want to make. Really helps you remember things you want to discuss because when you are nervous, you tend to forget or overlook strong points. Questions were basic -- experience with a difficult project, (how you handled it and what was result), describe a situation where you work with difficult people, etc.

Interview took about half an hour, with the interviewers jotting down notes while I answered. Always research the job, the department and have some questions to ask at the end to better understand the job but also to show you are interested and have given consideration.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked to describe in detail a project I was responsible for and had to lay out the start to finish. Have a really good example in mind and stay positive!   View Answer

Associate Governmental Program Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sacramento, CA (US)

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at State of California Office of Statewide Health Planning in August 2012.

It was a great interview process with straight forward questions. Management was very relaxed and opened, which gave me the opportunity to focus on my experience and my qualifications rather than being too nervous. I had approximately nine questions and a writing assessment. The writing assessment had about ten different choices. Interview length was about 45 minutes. The interview had a panel of three. Two line managers and another upper manager.

Interview Questions
    • Please tell me about a project you had to complete in the past that you could have done better? What went wrong and what would you have done different if given a second chance?   View Answer
    State of California has set salaries for every position. There is no room for negotiation. You either start at beginning level or level 2, 3 or 4 depending on how many years of related experience you have.

Telecommunications Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sacramento, CA (US)

I applied in-person - interviewed at State of California Office of Statewide Health Planning in June 2012.

FCC first class license required... experiance at a component level and commercial communications experiance required.

none

Staff Services Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sacramento, CA (US)

I applied through other source. The process took 2 months - interviewed at State of California Office of Statewide Health Planning in March 2012.

When the state has an opening, they need to fill it FAST. I got a call Friday afternoon asking for an interview Monday morning. I went in and they were way behind schedule, about an hour late. They sat me at a desk and gave me a sheet of the interview questions - about 20 of them, and very in depth. Glad I had that hour to really prepare my answers. It was specific to the job - asking about previous coordinating experience, how do you deal with bad coworkers, etc. Not too bad, just have a ton of concrete examples to talk about. They don't want abstract "I'm a hard worker" but rather "Last week when 3 of my coworkers called in sick I jumped on and helped our unit stay on track." I went into the interview, which was 2 people (a 3rd was supposed to be there, but the doctor was too busy). They asked me all the questions, and it lasted about half an hour. Then they lead me to a desk with a computer and gave me a sheet of paper. They told me to follow the directions on the paper, and I had half an hour. This is called an "inbox exercise" and it's fairly common with CCHCS. They just want to prove you can actually do the work. Unfortunately, they don't know how to ask it very well, so I was unsure, but apparently I aced it. After I accepted the job they wouldn't stop talking about how amazing it was. The paper just asked me to put together a report on the number of people getting a liver transplant. So it listed 50 people had requested, 20 were awaiting doctor's approval, 40 had been rejected, and 2 had completed. So on the computer I used excel to make some charts displaying the data different ways, and then put it into a written report using word. I just explained the number of people and what that meant, and I ended with that because only 2 people had succeeded it was clear we needed to streamline the process to get more people finished with the process quicker. They called soon after, and I had to go in to get all my hiring paperwork done - several times sadly. They kept thinking of new things they needed from me. I ended up hiring myself mostly since I had worked as a hiring coordinator for the same department before.

Interview Questions
    • No hard questions - just really focus on concrete examples.   Answer Question
    There is NO negotiation. Your pay is posted online, on the job posting. The managers usually don't really know what you would make - just look at the classification online and you'll know. If you're concerned about where in the range you'll be you have to actually talk to HR, which is after you've accepted. You take it or leave it. It's almost unheard of for someone to decline.

Research Analyst II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sacramento, CA (US)

I applied through other source - interviewed at State of California Office of Statewide Health Planning.

This classification rarely holds an exam process, but when it does, it is a good idea to get on it. Usually the exam process requires an STD 678 application with relevant work information, and a supplemental questionnaire. It may take awhile to be scored, you will get notice in the mail. This exam is NOT held online.

I included an STD 678, a cover letter, a resume, references, and copies of my degrees in my application.

The hiring process: an AGPA can lateral into this job if the work they do is very similar in nature, and that is determined by individual HR departments. This step is a promotion from Research Analyst I, and is a lateral salary bump from AGPA level if you qualify on an exam list.

The research analyst II interview incorporated relatively normal questions about previous work, level of ability or interest in the type of work at the agency, questions specific to the job duty statement, and basic analysis ability. Included questions on types of software programs used, ability in statistical analysis and math, and literature reviews. This class often works with mapping, databases, and analyses scientific reports. This class also does a lot of grunt work for higher level researchers. I also completed a written assignment, which included analysis of a chart. I recall that I noted the chart title was unclear, and that the y axis did not express whether the numbers indicated were representing a percent, rate, or whole number. I also answered a basic short essay question on research methodology.

The promotional series this class leads to is Research Program Specialist.

Interview Questions
    • They showed me a line chart by gender and year and asked me to analyse it, but it was missing a title and it didn't have a label on the Y axis. I almost panicked, because I wasn't sure if I was supposed to be critical, or just tell them it was a line chart by gender and year.   View Answer
    No negotiation. Came in with a pay bump because I qualified off an exam I had previously taken.

Worked for State of California Office of Statewide Health Planning? Contribute to the Community!