State of Ohio

Relevance Date Difficulty

Very Easy Interview

IT Manager Interview

Columbus, OH (US)

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at State of Ohio in January 2010.

Interview Details Two panel interviews - first one of canned questions, second one had canned, but in-depth questions. 1 written test, 1 presentation.

Interview Question – None. All were elementary. Most difficult thing was not laughing at one of the 3 IT Managers in the panel who dozed during the interview and didn't participate at all.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Typical - offer/counter, settled near middle.

Attorney Interview

Attorney

Interviewed at State of Ohio

Interview Details Interviewing at the Ohio Public Defender's office can be a lengthy process. It was a few weeks after I submitted my resume in response to their ad that I was contacted. The interview was set up for the following week. I was interviewed by two attorneys before meeting with the Ohio Public Defender. It was just one interview but it was another three weeks before I was called and offered the job. The atmosphere was very casual, with everyone wearing jeans.

Interview Question – The length of time it took to hear back from them.   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Project Manager Interview

Project Manager
Columbus, OH (US)

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at State of Ohio.

Interview Details It was a very extensive and thorough interview process. I applied by sending an email with my resume and cover letter. Then I was invited to start the interview process which included a panel interview with senior staff, followed by a one-on-one with the executive director. Once I completed the panel interview and was asked to move to a final, I was asked to fill out the state application and submit a drug test. I was also asked to complete a project review as homework. I had a weekend to complete it and send it in via email.

Interview Question – There wasn't one particular question that was the most difficult but the panel interview consisted on over an hour of behavioral questions that sometimes seemed to overlap and make it difficult to come up with new "situations" from my work history to share. It definitely was an exercise in endurance.   Answer Question

IT Specialist Interview

Interviewed at State of Ohio

Interview Details Be prepared for a lengthy process. The jobs was posted in November. I applied when it was posted. I never received any feed back until January when I was called for a interview. There was not standard interview with HR which was good. However, there is a panel interview with 2 managers. During this interview they take turns asking you a series of questions, where they each score your results. The interview lasted about an hour. I never heard anything back until May, and did not start work until a month later.

Negotiation Details – Very little. The state has salary ranges and steps.

Psychologist Interview

Psychologist
Cleveland, OH (US)

I applied in-person - interviewed at State of Ohio in April 2012.

Interview Details I was interviewed by varied group of administrators and clinicians. They seemed to be looking for a creataive, fairly accomplished person who could hit the job running with little break in time.I fit the bill in that I have had 43 years of experience dooing the job with the exact skills needed as they were looking for.

Interview Question – What would I do if an assistant didn't want to follow directions   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Since I expected an advance step appointment, the position approval had to go to top administrator which took 45 days to approve which it finally was to my satisfaction

Developer Interview

Columbus, OH (US)

The process took 2 days - interviewed at State of Ohio in November 2011.

Interview Details First day of the interview was a skills test. If you qualified with the skills test you were then invited to come back for a panel interview.
Overall in the beginning everyone was polite and great to talk with. I felt a real level of professionalism and connection with everyone I talked with.
Communication methods have been email and phone.
Post interview has been the worst professional experience ever. The management said they would be notifying about the position in a week. The week had past and no information. I have naturally assumed I did not get the job. I emailed inquiring about the status of the position, but I have had no response from anyone about my inquiries. I have called also inquiring about the position. Every call has directed me to voicemail and no one has yet to return my calls.
Why would a government agency fail to respond to inquiries about a position I interviewed for?
If this is the post interview communication and professionalism level, I am certainly glad I was not offered a position with them.

Interview Question – Upper level math skills so many years after college.   Answer Question

Case Manager Assistant Interview

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at State of Ohio in November 2011.

Interview Details A civil service test and a grammar was given. The grammar test was easy. I didn't time myself properly and didn't complete the other test. It was divided into 5 sections and I didn't get to the 5th section. It was tricky but not really extremely hard.

Interview Question – Detailed tricky analysis questions that are hard to remember   Answer Question

Army Section Supervisor Interview

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at State of Ohio in February 2009.

Interview Details Written application, application screened, background check completed, security clearance verified, drug test, 1:1 interview, panel interview to include physical fitness test & body fat test, and a formal presntation to demonstrate presentation skills & knowledge.

Interview Questions

• Describe your experience with counterinsurgency warfare in a combat theater of operations.   Answer Question
  • Describe your knowledge of enemy TTP's in combat theater of operations.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiations.

Intern Interview

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at State of Ohio in April 2010.

Interview Details Ther were 2 interviewers from differing levels of management in the interview. Be sure to research your department before interviewing as they take great stock in your questions about the position.

Interview Question – How has your experience prepared you for the particulars of this position?   Answer Question

Manager Interview

Manager

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at State of Ohio in August 2010.

Interview Details Research the company and job description to be prepared

Interview Questions

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for State of Ohio? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at State of Ohio interview questions and advice. All 11 interview reviews are posted anonymously by State of Ohio employees and interview candidates.