Symantec Interview Questions

Updated 21 Apr 2015

Incident Responder Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sydney

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Symantec (Sydney) in December 2014.

Interview

The interview process for this company was very odd and very long. Between the time I submitted an expressions of interest and was finally contacted by the company was 2 months. After I was then contacted there was about another month and a half before (I think) the process finished. In the end the company didn't really get back to me on successfully getting, or not getting, the job.

The overall interview process was pretty simple, submit a CV, get a few screening calls from HR, then meet face to face, followed by more calls from HR. Unfortunately I was pretty disappointed in the overall process, at no stage did anyone I was interviewed by have any technical skills to actually challenge me on the technical ability I put in my CV. This was slightly worrying as the role I was applying for was very technical focused.

In the end due to the amount of time the overall process took and the concern I had about going into a team I stopped chasing HR for a response. In the end I didn't hear back from HR once I stop chasing them for updates on the role.

From what I did see within the Symantec business it looked like they had some great people, however I think their recruitment process is pretty poor and let's them down from having brillent people work for them. My experience reflected a similar experience from a fellow peer in the same field that also applied to Symantec at roughly the same time.

Interview Questions

• Pretty simple business focused questions, the interview was not technical so the questions were based around previous general experience.   Answer Question

Senior Technical Support Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Symantec.

Interview

a bit grill on personality - how to handle test and work - technical test is ok not too difficult the whole process does not take long - 2 interviews - one for group interviews for techie and last interview with manager

Interview Questions

Negotiation

not able to negotiate

Business Development Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Symantec (Sydney).

Interview

Typically a HR interview followed by up to 3 Face to Face Interviews with Hiring Manager and other key stakeholders. Behavioral based interview asking for relevant experience and how you exhibit the traits of the key qualities and requirements for the role. Previous performance also held in high regard.

Interview Questions

• List the top 5 traits of a stand-out sales performer and how do you exhibit those traits? Why? Provide examples.   Answer Question

Senior Technical Support Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Symantec (Sydney) in December 2011.

Interview

The overall hiring process was great. The HR representative made me feel welcome during the interview which made the interview less stressful. Additionally, the interview with the hiring manager was great fun. It didn't feel like an interview but more like a couple of friends discussing work. The final phase of the interview was a technical interview with a current employee. Once again it was a relaxed atmosphere which allowed me to show my full potential

Senior Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Symantec (Mountain View, CA (US)).

Interview

First Interview was over the phone, than hiring manager, after I had interview with his peers. One of his peers, had no experience about the position and was asking me to clarify what it would do for his team. Very awkward! I've got an offer and accepted it, and when I had a chance to interact with that individual, I learned first had he is a master in making people uncomfortable, very unprofessional.

Interview Questions

• There are lots of ambiguity in the company/department/project. How do you deal with ambiguity?   1 Answer
    • They used a lot of old school jargon, and some of the acronyms from the current CEO   Answer Question

Senior IT Infrastructure Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pune (India)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Symantec (Pune (India)) in April 2015.

Interview

I applied for a Problem Manager role. Interview was of 4 rounds.

Round 1: Preliminary HR Round

Round 2: Interviewed by 2 senior Problem Manager.

Round 3: Interviewed by the Global Process Owner.

Round 4: Interviewed by the Service Management Head.

Interview was average for me but it would have been pretty difficult for others who may give the interview without without in-depth knowledge of ITIL and Problem Management.

Endpoint Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Symantec (San Jose, CA (US)) in April 2015.

Interview

I was interviewed by the same guy I met at the career fair. He was nice, but he was speaking to me thru the speaker so it was hard to hear at times. There was another person with him in the room. His questions were fair and should be obvious to someone who pays attention to details in their class. When I ask them how many interns are they hiring, they say 1 for the summer. Be prepare to give your best.

Interview Questions

• 1. Talk about yourself.
      2. Talk about a bug you cannot solve and how did you solve it.
      3. How to store "last name, first name, id" into database for future access?
      4. If you can't connect to google, how do you debug it? (hint: DNS)

1 Answer

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Symantec.

Interview

Applied for both positions online via company site. I then received an email to schedule a phone interview. The IT recruiter calls and asks some questions (see below), then an in person interview is scheduled.

Interview Questions

• The HR guy was very pushy in wanting to make you talk. It seemed like he wanted to get make the quickest judgement in the least amount of time. Asked for salary requirements then started asking job/position related questions. After 1-2 job related questions, he began asking technical questions (port numbers, diff between x/y, etc. ) After phone interview a in-person (technical) interview is scheduled which is more straightforward.   Answer Question

Testing Position Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Symantec.

Interview

I have applied through career fair, got a call in a couple of weeks from HR and setup meeting with the team who hires you. It was a 30 min phone interview with the team. two people took the interview. they were very friendly. starts with a brief chat on resume and then dives into questions based on the position.

A Senior Role Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Symantec.

Interview

Multiple rounds of interview. Not efficient. In one of the stages, instead of combining 2 interviews, I was requested to attend separate interviews, and was asked the same questions all over again. What a waste of precious time.

The hiring was for a small location with limited number of employees but the process was long. It took 2 months to reach the final outcome, mostly in silent mode from their end. I was promised to be informed of the outcome (whether I am hired or not) at a certain date but I didn't get any at all by the time it came. I had to follow up to find out.

The hiring manager didn't show sufficient courtesy and professionalism when hiring. He lost my respect. He holds a senior role but does not demonstrate exemplary attitude of one. He is indecisive and seeking a perfect ideal candidate but did not plan to pay a salary that commensurate the given role. I am not surprised that he couldn't find the right person. I wish things could have turned more positively but it is unfortunate that he gives a bad impression about the working culture there and the company that employs him.

Interview Questions

• Nothing unique or worth remembering. Standard questions.   Answer Question