TD Ameritrade Interview Questions

Updated 14 Aug 2014
Updated 14 Aug 2014

2.8

Customer Service Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at TD Ameritrade.

Applied online. Had a short phone interview. I had to do an online simulation and a personality test. I got a call 3 days later to arrange an face to face interview.

Financial Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Chicago, IL (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 months - interviewed at TD Ameritrade in July 2014.

Attended open house. Applied for open position. Received initial phone interview from company recruiter. Successfully completed 2 online assessments. Held phone interview with 2 branch managers (even though I could have easily attended a personal interview with the Chicago branch manager since I work just blocks away).

Interview Questions
    • Have you ever made that much money before? I was asked this when I answered the initial question of "How much money do you need to make in a year?" and my answer was more than $100K.   View Answer

Investment Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 8 months - interviewed at TD Ameritrade.

Apply online, receive info on taking a personality test if you qualify, if they like your results you will get a short phone interview, then an in person interview.

Interview Questions
    No matter what, you will be underpaid...

Leadership Prgram Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Jersey City, NJ (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jersey City, NJ (US)

I applied through college or university - interviewed at TD Ameritrade.

phone interview then site

TAS Representative Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at TD Ameritrade.

horrible. Too many interviews and Director level interviewers are condescending and rude

Interview Questions
    • none - all subjective interviewing so the interviewer never got a chance to know me   Answer Question
    there was none -- it was a take it or leave it

Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at TD Ameritrade.

Was recruited, interviewed, passed over and offered a lower position. They took bout 6 weeks to complete the process. They seemed disorganized, uncertain of what they wanted. First interview over the phone, second in person with 8 managers in one room, chaotic. HR recruiter did not provide accurate information regarding upward management- they seemed upset at the interviewee for an HR mistake.

Interview Questions
    • They don't ask difficult questions because they don't know the industry that well. Seems like they hire outside the industry for management positions, who did the interview. They are looking for a specific response, not a truthful answer   Answer Question

Marketing Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Omaha, NE (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Omaha, NE (US)

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at TD Ameritrade in December 2013.

The recruiter called me first and then the hr contacted me twice to schedule the same interview.

Interview Questions
    • The retail side of the business uses the STAR method-situation, task, action, result. The marketing department does not use this method. They are more like a conversation. They do not really ask questions.   Answer Question

Manager- Internal Development, Guidance & Strategy Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at TD Ameritrade in December 2013.

Initial interview with internal recruiter was great. Then- panel interview with managers was awful. Was going great with one team member, then other manager Manager was 15 minutes late then comes on and proceeded to break me down and find ways that I was not a fit for the job, only concerned with my current role and how it had to exactly relate to their dream candidate. As if I can not learn, adapt or develop! Really not interested in me, my strengths or what I bring to the table. A colossal waste of time. I have recently interviewed with 10 large Financial Services Institutions and this was hands down the worst. I really just decided in our conversation that I would never want to work in this culture and management and said it was not going to be a fit- the first time I have ever done this in an interview.

Interview Questions
    • Condescending and combative interview tone- Where is this coming from? Here is a tip- maybe this works for internal applicants who are trying to move up the ranks? (the whole, why should we hire you? Yawn. . . ) This is not going to be effective in recruiting experienced folks like me away from my firm. Guess the grass is no greener! Good luck.   View Answer

Senior Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at TD Ameritrade.

I was referred for consideration by a friend of a friend. The first interview with the individual currently in the role and the hiring manager was extremely cordial and proceeded to next steps. The next set of meetings were with the HR generalist and the hiring manger's boss, an MD, each scheduled for 30 minutes. Things seemed to go well with the generalist but the MD appeared to be unavailable. After 10 minutes, the Generalist made contact and brought me to that individual's office. Upon arrival this person was obviously agitated and explained that he had a hard stop at the hour: he was having child care issues. I had been concerned with only having 30 minutes as per the original schedule and this time had now been trimmed to 15. Throughout, the interviewer was distracted, detached and visibly annoyed. In any other environment I would have recommended that we reconvene at a better time but this didn't seem like a good idea. I was so concerned with the tone of the meeting that I emailed the person who referred me to let him know that there was no way I would be proceeding and thanked him for his help.

Everyone has a bad day so I brushed the issue off as "stuff happens". I was very surprised to be called back for what was initially to be 2 more 30 minute meetings. The morning of the scheduled date I was informed that only 1 meeting would take place. Upon arrival, the individual I was scheduled to meet with was unavailable. When he was found, it turned out he was "triple booked" but we could "chat". I got the impression that this individual had not reviewed my credentials at all and I came away thinking that nothing we discussed could possibly support a hire/don't hire decision.

I was called the next day to be notified that I would not be getting an offer. What annoyed me was I am convinced that the last meeting was simply to cover the MD, whose complete disregard for me as a candidate still leaves a bad impression. I strive to provide substantial latitude when my directs are looking to hire someone. Without that autonomy what is the point of empowering subordinates? I would be cautious in dealing with TDA in that it appears that the most senior manager has the most weight in executing hiring decisions.

Interview Questions
    • My wife works and our nanny needs to leave early, so I have to leave at 5.   View Answer

Investment Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New Haven, CT (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Haven, CT (US)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at TD Ameritrade.

Met with branch manager, then regional manger. Needed to sell myself just like any other interview. Provided them with a rundown of resume and reasons for leaving current position and why I was interested in the role at TD.

Interview Questions
    straight up base, no negotiation on base and bonus structure. 55k was highest base at the time and bonus changed every year from national

Worked for TD Ameritrade? Contribute to the Community!