TJX Companies

Updated 13 Dec 2014
Updated 13 Dec 2014

2.8

Investigator Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at TJX Companies.

I was initially contacted via phone by a talent acquisition manager to set up a time in the near future to discuss the opportunity. We originally talked on either a Thursday or Friday and the phone interview was scheduled for the following Monday. She was very accommodating and worked around my schedule since I am currently employed. The interview lasted about 45 minutes and was a typical interview except right off the bat she gave a detailed description of the company and exactly what the position was all about which I really liked. She said that the process would consist of about 4 interviews and if I didn't hear back in two weeks to follow-up with her. I emailed her in about 2 weeks and she called me less than an hour after I emailed her. All in all, I'd say this was one of the best interviews I've ever had.

Interview Questions
    • Very typical interview. Tell me about yourself, how would you go about persuading people to follow your ideas, etc.   Answer Question

Merchandising Development Program Interview

I applied through campus recruitment. Shortly after, I received a link to perform an interview online with 9 questions. After this I was asked to the next round where we were given sales reports and told to allocate items. We had 30 minutes to work on it alone and then they observed as we worked together as a team. I will moving to the final round soon at their headquarters for a day of shadowing and interviews.

Interview Questions
    • We were given a math question and asked to describe a time when I was analytical   Answer Question

Buying Interview

The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at TJX Companies.

I participated through my school's on campus recruiting. First round was a remote video interview with pretty standard behavioral questions and a very simple math question. Then I was flown to the HQ in Massachusetts to have a final round, which included a case/data analysis test, group project involving the case, and three 30-min interviews. I also had a job shadow and tour of the building. The questions were not unexpected at all, and were largely behavioral. They really want to see that you are interested in the company for the long haul, so be prepared for rigorous questions about your applications to other companies, whether you would return for another internship/full time, why TJX, etc

Interview Questions
    • Tell us a specific brand you would want to see in one of our stores and why/how would you want to include it in the assortment   Answer Question

Assistant Buyer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied online – interviewed at TJX Companies.

I met with 2 people, individually. The first person asked me the standard interview questions like "what is your weakest and strongest point." The 2nd person i met with was the director. She seemed really nice and very pleasant to speak with. I had a good feeling about the interview but I guess I was wrong. They did advise me that they had a high turnover rate. So I'm glad I didn't end up there.

Business Technology Graduate Programmer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Watford, East of England, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Watford, East of England, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at TJX Companies.

Interview Process
    First stage: Application form, usual CV and cover letter submission. Followed by a few questions regarding your motivation for applying to the graduate programme (including tell me an interesting fact about yourself)
    Second stage: Upon successful completion of the application form, you are provided with a Numerical and logical reasoning test
    Third stage: Assessment Centre - you take part in various group activities which include a Problem Solving task and a project based exercise. Individual exercise requires candidates to select from a number of future projects and to decide which ones would be ideal for the TJX business. For this particular exercise you are given a set budget and have to decide which business projects to Approve and Reject. You are also required to present a short presentation on your ideal company for 15 minutes to a panel of 2 interviewers. Lastly, you are given the opportunity to speak to current graduates about their job roles and current experiences in the Business Technology Programme.
    Overall a very positive experience. The interviewers made you feel comfortable and provided food and drinks throughout the day.

Interview Questions
    • If you could be a road sign, what sign would you choose and why?   Answer Question

Allocation Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at TJX Companies.

First, you had to take an online HireVue interview. Very awkward. There are 9 questions and you have 30 seconds to decide on an answer. When the 30 seconds are up, it starts recording you. Answers were focused on the position more than general interview questions.
    After that, I had Assessment Day. This was a LONG day. You shadow an analyst, have lunch, and then you have a data analysis problem. You have 30 min to work on it alone. After that, you and your group discuss and come to an agreement, while recruiters watch and take notes.
    After that, you have 3 interviews, back to back.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time where you had to be analytical.   Answer Question
    • Describe a time where you used resourcefulness to solve a problem.   Answer Question
    I planned to negotiate, but was offered the amount I wanted.

Sales Associate/Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ (US)

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at TJX Companies.

If you have a pulse they will hire you/ don't have to speak english, after the holidays they will cut your hours down to 10 or 15, they will never fire you unless you steal from them, they just will not give you hours anymore and force you to leave that way

minimum wage no discussion

Finance Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Framingham, MA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Framingham, MA (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at TJX Companies.

I went into headquarters to meet with two different people, and had half hour interviews with both. They were very welcoming, and gave me a tour of the building as well as being very open and nice during the interview process.

Merchandising Development Program Interview

I applied online – interviewed at TJX Companies.

Applied online, within a week was asked to do the online video interview. You have to read the question and you have about 30 seconds before it starts to record your response. If you haven't done one, it helped to practice responding to questions out loud since there's no dialogue. About a week later, I was invited to the assessment day at home office. It was about 6 hours and included an individual exercise, group discussion, 3 individual interviews with recruiters, lunch, your of home office and a job shadow. Everyone was very nice and welcoming. They all seemed to like working there.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a challenge or failure and how you responded.

What differentiates you from other candidates?

Answer Question

Merchandising Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at TJX Companies.

Applied for the internship in Februrary - they do most of their intern hiring in September so the Spring semester is more competitive to fill fewer spots - and got notified to do a webcam recorded interview about a week later. Then I made it to the 2nd round which was an on-campus group interview with an individual and group case study, which was really awkward and they made the most cuts in that round. Then I made it to the final round which was at the headquarters, where we had 3 rounds of interviews with recruiters. They asked mostly behavioral and situations questions, but also asked a lot of questions about the company itself, so make sure to know about the business model, competitors, and career path! Also be prepared with lots of questions because you can't really ask the same questions to the three different recruiters. I was notified with an offer in mid-April.

Interview Questions
    • Explain our business model and how it gives us a competitive edge against other retailers   Answer Question
    I did not need to negotiate -- interns were paid $15.00/hr and were given free intern hosuing