Teach for America Corps Member Interview Questions

Updated 23 Sep 2014

3.5

120 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Corps Member Interview

There is a 5 stage interview, application, phone interview, three part in person interview. The interview process is very intense and detailed. Be prepared to answer behavioral questions. Try to align your answers/application to the core values and be sure to provide quantitative examples.

Other Interview Reviews for Teach for America

Corps Member Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Teach for America.

There is a 5 stage interview, application, phone interview, three part in person interview. The interview is super intensive, like an interrogation almost. They are going to through trick questions, a ton of behavioral questions. i think this interview doesn't really capture what tfa is all about.

Interview Questions
    no negotiation. the employee has no voice.

Corps Member Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Teach for America.

Very thorough interview process with very good communication throughout entire process. After submitting my application online, I received an email shortly thereafter indicating I had been selected for a phone interview. The phone interview was about 20 minutes and was comprised of mostly behavioral style interview questions (i.e., Give me an example of a time when you faced adversity...). The phone interview was conducted by a bubbly female who stuck to a pre-determined script. Following the phone interview, I was selected for an on-site interview at a university about 45 minutes from my home. I received a very detailed email including all of the interview expectations and logistics. This interview included one-on-one and group interviews, as well as a 5-minute demonstration lesson taught by each candidate (there were about 10-15 candidates in a board room). Following the on-site interviews, it seemed like forever until "notification day," when we received an email stating whether or not we had been accepted into the Corps and our placement if accepted. I was overjoyed to received my acceptance email after a very thorough interview process. There was a second set of interviews after being accepted into the corps, which took place in our assigned city so that we could be interviewed by local schools in anticipation of our local placement. This was a fun day which involved "round robin" style interviewing with multiple school principals & school administrators. Each interview had a different feel, but the interviewers were all diligent about trying to find the best fit for their staff & school.

Interview Questions
    • Almost all of the questions were behavioral in nature, so be prepared with tons of examples about how you overcame adversity, dealt with a challenge, failed, succeeded, showed leadership, etc. However, one principal asked a really bizarre riddle similar to the Google interview questions and I had no idea how to answer. I did not get hired by that school (lol).   Answer Question
    There are two offer stages -- you get offered by Teach For America, and then you get offered by a local school. These offers don't happen at the same time. You really only have two choices: accept or decline. There was not much room for negotiating salary with the local school. We just received a contract stating we would make about $42000 in the first year, so we all signed.

Corps Member Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Teach for America.

The application process has multiple steps: a written application, a phone interview (these days), and an in person interview. The in person interview includes personal/scenario-type questions as well as a sample lesson. They are particularly interested in how you deal with adversity or difficult situations in the personal interview and be prepared to discuss your strategies for multitasking/organization.

Interview Questions
    there is no negotiation. think carefully about your region ranking - if you rank a region of "high need" highly you are very likely to be assigned there if accepted

Corps Member Interview

Long interview process that begins with a lengthy application. Then it is followed by phone interview and if you make it to the next round it is an in person interview that lasts about 4 hours.

Corps Member Interview

The process has three rounds. Application, Telephone Interview, Group interview. The questions focus on your ability to be a team player and your ability to work with others in various situations.

Interview Questions
    • We were given a scenario that could occur in the school and how you would handle that case   Answer Question

Corps Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Teach for America.

Began with the online application and essays, from there moved to a phone interview and then a full day final interview that consisted of a sample lesson teach, group discussion and one on one interview.

Interview Questions
    • What is a policy you did not agree with, but were expected to follow?   Answer Question

The location I was matched with was not my first choice.

Corps Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online - interviewed at Teach for America.

Filled out the 4th deadline online application the night before the deadline and was notified within two weeks that I had been advanced to the final interview stage, skipping the phone interview. My final interview was about 3 weeks later and I had to complete an online activity. I prepared my sample teach the night before, read the 3 required articles. The group interview was approximately 2 hours long - short presentation first, then sample teaches (roughly 7 people candidates interviewing), then the group problem-solving activity, and then signing up for idividual interviews. The individual interview was about 1 hour long.

Interview Questions
    • Probably the most challenging part was that mine was a virtual interview, which placed some limitations on the sample teaches. Overall in the personal interview I got the impression that they wanted statistics - how many members did I lead in my extracurricular activity, how much of an improvement that was over the previous year, the size of our budget, etc.   View Answer

My finals conflicted with the Summer Institute.

Corps Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview process begins with submitting an online application. The application focuses on leadership and mindsets about the achievement gap. Some applicants are selected for a phone interview, and others are moved straight to an in-person interview. I completed a phone interview, where the interviewer asked questions about my resume and about my basic qualifications for the job. The in-person interview is a day-long process involving a group activity, teaching a short lesson, and a one-on-one session.

Interview Questions
    • TFA loves role-playing activities. Be able to think on your feet, and be sure you're grounded in what you believe about kids, parents, communities, etc. that you're planning to serve.   Answer Question

Corps Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Teach for America.

You have to apply online through the TFA website. The application consists of leadership/work experience and some essay questions. Then, after the deadline period ends, you'll hear within about 2 weeks whether or not you have been invited to participate in a phone interview. The phone interview takes about 30 minutes and the interviewer asks you to expand on some of your initial application, then asks you some questions related to your leadership experience, organizational skills, and why you want to join TFA. After another week or so, you may be invited to the final interview stage, where you will present a 5-minute lesson plan, participate in a group activity, and an individual interview. It's a fairly relaxed interview setting, and the process isn't competitive in the sense that only a select number of people in your group can get the job. If they think you are qualified, you will get hired. Be sure to use the STAR method for answering their questions; that's what they recommend.

Interview Questions

Worked for Teach for America? Contribute to the Community!