Teach for America Interview Questions

Updated 20 Apr 2015

3.5

Teacher Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Teach for America in March 2015.

Interview

The process starts with a recruiter contacting you to help you keep the time line of the application. The application takes approximately 2 hours of duplicated information. Throughout the process they explain that they are looking for corps members that "look like" their students. They explain that they are referring to minorities.
    The next step is the phone interview. They explain again that they are looking for corps members that "look like" their students, but it is not a requirement. You then find out about 2 weeks later of you are invited to the in person final interview. During introductions the speakers ate minorities and again explain that they are looking for corps members that "look like" their students, but they look at other skills as well.
    On this interview you will do a 5 minute lesson plan- keep it simple and engage others.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Teach for America in March 2015.

Interview

I applied online and received a notification that I had been offered a phone interview. I schedule the interview and a few days later I received a call from a rep and they interviewed/interrogated me about education, previous work, leadership, etc.

Interview Questions

• Name a position of leadership that has been particularly important to you...   Answer Question

Corps Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Teach for America (Atlanta, GA (US)) in March 2015.

Interview

After completing an online application consisting of questions regarding background information and past experiences I was selected for a phone interview. I was able to choose a day and time online. I was contacted by a TFA representative who conducted the interview. It was very formal and structred. I was then contacted for an in person interview which consisted of a sample teaching lesson, group activity and one on one interview. Be prepared for your lesson and participate during the group activity. The in person interview was much like the phone interview asking most of the same standard questions. Be able to explain every detail of your resume. You never know what they may reference.

Corps Member Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America (New York, NY (US)) in March 2015.

Interview

Very long process: applied in December, decision not available till March. Three rounds of interview: Phone interview, online interview/quiz, final interview at a local university. Final interview was very straightforward. TFA does good job at laying out the expectations of the final interview. Final interview requires a 5-minute lesson plan where you can teach whatever you want. be creative and engaging. Don't just sit there and speak.

Interview Questions

• Why TFA? Why not another teaching organization like Fellows?   Answer Question

Teach for America Corps Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Virginia Beach, VA (US)

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Teach for America (Virginia Beach, VA (US)) in March 2015.

Interview

This was my phone interview... I applied to the Mar 6, 15 deadline. Was called by a wonderful alumni, the interview is mostly behavioral based. She explained a little about the mission and talked about who they are seeking. She was a 2013 alumni member. She was very patient and you could hear a lot of papers shuffling in the background. Wonderful interview, very professional.

Teacher Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Teach for America in March 2015.

Interview

I submitted my application online, and then was asked to have an interview over the phone. The phone interview was fairly standard, although they focused almost entirely on only one of the activities on my resume. The process is a little frustrating, in that after I completed the phone interview and was told that I had made it to the in-person interview, I need to complete the online activity. However, they did not open the online activity immediately, and I only had a few days in which I was expected to complete it. They also did not immediately send out requests to the people I had down for my recommendation letters. The in-person interview is a full day.

Corps Member Interview

Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Teach for America (Philadelphia, PA (US)) in March 2015.

Interview

Lengthy and detailed online application. ~Two hour online exercise. I was able to skip the phone interview step and moved directly to final interview. Final interview was exactly how they describe it on the website. Group interview, Teach a 5 minute lesson, Q & A session, group activity, then individual interviews. Advice: ask questions that make your fellow applicants look good during their lessons and they'll ask nice ones back. Come prepared with questions for the Q & A session, no one had questions in my group (10 of us) so I got to ask 2 questions that helped demonstrate my interest. Don't ask a question that's already addressed online somewhere or that is very specific (e.g., can I teach in NY if I pass my PA state exams?) For the individual interview, they really let you elaborate on your answers so don't be shy! They focused on my leadership activity that I had spent the most time on. They also asked a lot about my thesis. My interviewer and I clicked on a certain topic in education reform and went on that tangent for a while, if you're passionate about educational reform, let it show--because your interviewer probably is to!

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to be a corps member?
      Talk about a time you had to work in a group for your *insert leadership activity*.
      Talk about a time you had difficulty working with another person.

Answer Question

Corps Member Interview

Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Teach for America (Columbus, OH (US)) in March 2015.

Interview

First is the online application, which was pretty straightforward. The next step is the phone interview. Mine took about 45 minutes and was pretty thorough, but it was very helpful later as I prepared for the final interview. My interviewer was very nice! The final interview is the last step. It begins with the sample teaching lessons. The other interviewees and interviewers (I had two) act as your students. It was pretty relaxed, but you have to be organized! The ten minute time limit is very serious. The group portion involves readings you are assigned ahead of time. Everyone was considerate and this portion was a good time to show leadership and cooperation. The final part is the one on one interview. It was very similar to the phone interview, I was even asked a few of the exact same questions. My interviewer was very nice and made me feel comfortable. She focused on one service activity that I had participated in the longest.

Teach for America Corps Member Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Teach for America (New York, NY (US)) in March 2015.

Interview

The interview was initially a group interview where you first concur a strict five minute lesson plan. Then you are presented with a scenario and have to work together as a group to come to a solution. Then you have your private 30 minute interview where you're asked questions that further clarify the information you gave on the application.

Interview Questions

• Do you have any leadership skills?   1 Answer

Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

The interview process is very thorough. There are many rounds to go through, I would say with increasing difficulty. They are looking for a well-rounded individual and someone who is passionate about TFA's mission. It helps if you're from a disadvantaged background because it gives you a personal connection with the issue.