Teach for America

Updated 19 Feb 2015
Updated 19 Feb 2015

3.5

TFA Corps Member Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America.

TFA recruiter was great- friendly, always willing to point out resources, connect me with someone. Interview went well- you do the teaching part first which gets that out of the way. Group portion they just want to see that you can carry a conversation and are committed to TFA and would not quit on them. Hiring was not handled well. During your regional selection process- CHOOSE YOUR REGIONS VERY CAREFULLY AND READ UP ON ALL OF THEM THAT YOU CHOOSE. TFA is not incredibly transparent about all of the costs until after you have been selected, unless you do some research yourself on the TFA website.

Interview Questions

Had to pay for a reduced master's program to get certification. AmeriCorps would fund some of it, but this would still be expensive. Also, I did not want to commit to my placement location.

Corps Member Interview

First step is application, basic information and then 3 questions. If you advance, there is a phone interview which they ask you basic experience and education. If advance after that, you will have a final interview day consisting of a 5 minute lesson plan, group discussion, and additional interview. Be creative for class lesson

Teacher Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL (US)
    Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL (US)

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America in December 2014.

Got contacted by one of the recruiting manager and applied online. Online application basically ask you to fill out education background, work experiences, and essays. After you submit online application you will get to pick phone interview dates and time. You will also need two letters of recommendation and references. Before preparing, it is very helpful to look at online website and videos regarding TFA to know about the culture and vision.

Corps Member Interview

Anonymous Employee in Evanston, IL (US)
    Anonymous Employee in Evanston, IL (US)

sample teach, group interview, solo interview. The interview took about 3 hours with two interviewers, and about 12 other applicants. The environment was very casual, and applicants had to both act as teachers for their lessons and students for the other lessons. About half the applicants were from my university, and the other half were adults from the area.

Corps Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America in December 2014.

Completed an online application. Then got selected for a phone interview where I was asked basic questions regarding my answers on the online application. About a week after the phone interview, I was notified that I got a final in-person interview. My interview took place virtually. It was broken up into group activities, teaching simulation, and one-on-one interview.

Corps Member Interview

Began with an online interview, and was then invited to a phone interview. The recruiting manager of my area was very involved with my whole application, and we had a phone meeting as well as an online group meeting for the people who had been invited for phone interviews.

Interview Questions
    • I would say about 80% of the interview questions were about one activity that I had listed on my resume (i.e., Tell me about a time that you faced adversity.. in the context of ___.)   Answer Question

Applying for TFA Interview

Gives 2 interviews - one over phone and one in person. I have heard they are very different in content. I was surprised they asked a lot of questions about my personal resume. It was a bit awkward with pauses because my interviewer was writing a lot of my information down while talking to me. Otherwise, a typical job interview. Be honest and do your best.

Administrative Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America.

I went through 4 interviews over the span of 3 months for an assistant position. The interview process went by very fast once I passed through the HR screening but the regional team seemed to be very unorganized in terms of who will manage the position

Interview Questions
    • I was asked a lot of questions about my values which I did not think were relevant to the position at all but I understand that as an org, TFA wants to hire more of the same   Answer Question
    did not negotiate

TFA Corps Member Interview

The process is kind of long but not as stressful as I assumed it would be. First the application, then the phone interview, then the final interview. From what I hear, the final interview isn't a direct competition with other applicants; basically, if they feel like everyone in your group would best suit the program they will hire everyone in the group (I think this is rare but the good thing is, they don't have a set number of applicants they have to accept each period).

Interview Questions

I did not want to move to the area they suggested.

Corps Member Interview

You apply online then you may be selected to a phone interview. Then you may be selected to the inperson group interview. I didnt get past the phone interview, though I hit t off with my interviewer. It's understandable--I know the interviewers don't have power over who can move on or not just because you had a great conversation. It was a behavioral interview, so be prepared for that. They really look for leaders and people who overcome hard situations who are good problem solvers and multitaskers.