Teach for America

Getting the Interview

37 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

TFA Corps Member Interview

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Teach for America in December 2013.

Interview Details The first step is the online application. After this I was invited to a phone interview and had to complete an online assessment. The phone interview was not bad, mostly asked about your leadership experiences. The assessment had you listen to a scenario and write a few responses. It also had a test that had you interpret charts and data. Next step was the in person interview. You had to teach a sample lesson plan in front of the group, then read an article and have a discussion, then you had a personal interview. The interview included a role play which was difficult and the interviewer was aggressive. Asked how it made me feel when I didn't get my way, how far would I push, what info did I wish I had? What would you do if you had an 8th grade class that read at a 3rd grade level, what would be your goal for them? How do you stay organized?

Interview Question – Would you ever quit?   Answer Question

I applied online and interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview Details The lesson plan, group project and the interview were very straight forward. They really emphasized how "hard" working for TFA would be and told us that if we thought that the next year as a corps member would be easy, we shouldn't bother showing up to the final interview.

Interview Question – The classic - what's the biggest challenge you've faced?   Answer Question

I applied online and interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview Details During the process there is a general application, phone interview, and final interview. During the phone interview they ask you questions from your resume and times you have had to manage difficult situations. The people who call are very friendly and do not try to trick you. The more you talk about handing difficult situations=the better.

In the final interview there are about 12 people who also interview with you. You do not have to compete with them (they can offer a position to all of you or none of you). You are asked to do a 5 minute "lesson plan," group problem solving, and a one on one interview.

Interview Question – During the final interview they give you a role playing situation in which you have to convince the "principal" (interviewer) that you should be allowed to take a group of students on a field trip (they give you road blocks as to why the trip couldn't be allowed).   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None.

TFA Corps Member

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview Details Three stage interview process:

1) Personal statement of intent and several short answer questions

2) Phone interview, timed online activity, and 3 references

3) In person interview and 5 minute lesson presentation

Overall, the interview experience was a long, but positive one--if you are set on joining. I had a few buddies work tirelessly through the first two steps, only to get rejected in the final round because they did not convince the interviewers they were committed to the cause. Only worth going through the trouble if you really want it.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you had a conflict with a coworker and how you worked past it.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiations. Two weeks to decide, no extensions.

TFA Corps Member

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Teach for America in December 2012.

Interview Details I actually felt cheated with my interview considering how much time and effort I put into preparing. My interviewer spent the first 5 minutes talking about how tired and exhausted she was and yawned throughout the interview stating she was tired. Overall very disappointing and turned me off from reapplying.

Interview Question – It was pretty straightforward. Be prepared to answer many questions from your application.   Answer Question

TFA Corps Member

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview Details I applied online and wrote a stellar essay with mediocre extracurriculars and made it into the second round phone interview. The phone interview was actually very easy, as my interviewer was extremely passionate for education and spoke more than I did during the call. I made it to the final round and successfully led the group and presented my sample lesson well, but made a crucial mistake in saying that I support segregation in special cases. Not that I am racist or sexist, but I just spoke my mind saying that specific groups of people like special education students must be placed in different classrooms to receive the appropriate education. That was my bad.

Interview Question – How did you think you did in the group discussion interview?   Answer Question

I applied online and interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview Details Online form and short essay questions, then invited for a short screening phone interview.

Interview Question – Nothing was unexpected, but the phone interview is odd because it feels like you're talking to a machine.   Answer Question

I applied online and interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview Details There was an online application which you answered short answers about why you wanted to work for TFA, questions about your leadership/experiences. From there I was invited to a phone interview, which was a pretty basic,typical interview, where she asked questions about my resume, why I want to work for them, ect. After I had to do an online activity and then invited to a final interview. The final interview, personally was the most enjoyable part of the process. The final interview consisted of a 5 minute lesson plan, which you teach to all of the other interviewees, a group activity/discussion, introduction of the interviewers and a chance to ask them questions, and then a one on one interview. The interviewers were very friendly and enthusiastic, which in turn made me more comfortable and excited to join.

Interview Question – You had to role play a scenario with your interviewer, which could range from a variety of topics involving education, and problems you'll face in the classroom. Mine was trying to convince the principle why I (as a teacher) should take the class on a field trip. It was only difficult because it can be a bit awkward and strange to role play   Answer Question

TFA Corps Member

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview Details The first step of the interview process is a lengthy online application. There is a phone interview, which focused on leadership, and online activity, which felt like it was addressing diversity. The final interview involved a group activity, a five-minute sample lesson and a one-on-one interview. The one-on-one was impersonal and challenging. The interviewer was typing literally every word I said, and it was hard to be passionate and personable. Then entire day went remarkably quickly.

Interview Question – During the one-on-one interview, you will do a role play as a TFA teacher. Immediately following the five-minute scene, the interviewer asked what I could have done better. It caught me immediately off guard, and I thought, "Well, we just ended it. If there was something I thought I could have done better, I probably would have just done it." Humility, humility, humility.

They'll ask why TFA, of course, organizational skills, have you ever quit something, etc. The interviewer asked about things on my résumé that I didn't expect her to care about. That really caught me off guard. She didn't ask about the experiences where I was leading and not about anything recent. That was the hardest part.
  Answer Question

I applied online and interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview Details For the lesson, most people did not have time to finish so I recommend that you budget for four minutes. Everyone gives a five-minute lesson, and the other interviewees are the students, as are the interviewers (2 in my case). Then, you interview with one of the interviewers. I skipped the phone interview round but apparently questions are similar. They ask why TFA, have you talk about your leadership experience, ask you when you've overcome challenges, etc.

Interview Question – Have you ever quit anything? Have you ever handed in an assignment late?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Teach for America

Worked for Teach for America? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Teach for America TFA Corps Member interview questions and advice. All 37 interview reviews posted anonymously by Teach for America employees and interview candidates.