Texas Instruments

Getting the Interview

27 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Applications Engineer

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Texas Instruments.

Interview Details I applied online and got an e-mail to answer some behavioral questions through webcam. Couple days after, I got a call for an interview where I have to give a 3-5 slide presentation on a project that I worked on.

After the presentation I didn't hear back for two weeks so when I contacted the HR first, he suggested if I was interested in other positions. I said yes but he hasn't replied since then.

Interview Question – Just questions about the project and if I considered any other options.   Answer Question

Applications Engineer

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Texas Instruments.

Interview Details I stopped by the booth at my university's career fair and spoke to an engineer for a bit. He invited me to an interview on campus the next day where he gave me circuits questions. They were pretty standard and basic such as RC equations and transfer functions. After that, I was invited to do a 1 hr presentation to 2 people about a project I did. The presentation was more like a walk through where they asked me questions about the project as I went through the slides. They were all technical questions for the most part about the project, so you better know your project well. However, my project was an analog amplifier and both the interviewers were digital guys, so they didn't really have a lot of hard questions. I passed, and they invited me down to Texas. They paid for the hotel, airplane, etc which was cool. The first night at the hotel you go through a presentation with some of the engineers where you drink a bit and relax. After, you head out to a restaurant. The next morning, I went in for 2 interviews. Each interview was with 3 people. The first interview, they asked me mostly behavioral questions. I feel like they were not satisfied with my responses, considering they let me do most of the talking. The next group of people, kind of treated me like crap. For these interviews, you do your presentation in person that you did over the phone. They kept interrupting me and asking questions that were relevant to the slide that I talked about like 6 slides ago. They asked me technical questions too.

Interview Question – Too long ago, forgot honestly. They asked me about IIR filters and how to choose where to place the zeros and poles for types of filters.   Answer Question

Dallas, TX (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Texas Instruments in December 2010.

Interview Details I interviewed for the rotational program a while back. I hear its now 50-50 technical vs behavioral questions vs all behavioral when I interviewed a few years ago. You are graded more on your ability to communicate (for rotation program only) and how well you handle extreme situations

Interview Question – Tell us a time when you have lead a team of collegues/engineers on a project or had significant input on a project and it failed. Why did it fail and how did you go about it?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Negotiated 2x AFTER my offers had expired. If they want you as an employee, they will let you negotiate a bit.

Interviewed at Texas Instruments

Interview Details Team interview + HR + manager

Interview Question – answer to a case study   Answer Question

Applications Engineer

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Texas Instruments in August 2010.

Interview Details Got an internship through the college fair and converted it to full time job offer. Interview was simple dealing mainly with projects and no yahoo questions..

Interview Question – Questions were related to the projects.   Answer Question

Orlando, FL (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Texas Instruments in October 2013.

Interview Details Met with TI at an on campus career fair. Had a basic 30 minute interview with one of the engineering recruiters the following day. There weren't any technical questions during that interview. Mostly going over resume, and the recruiter seeing if you can handle answering questions and making eye contact. Then had a phone interview with an online presentation through WebEx. I was told ahead of time to present a quick 10-15 min presentation about a technical project that I've done in the past (could be from anything: internship, class laboratory, hobby, etc.) Make sure you know every single detail about what you're presenting because if it's something you're slightly unsure about that engineer interviewing you will see through it right away. If you pass that interview, the next step is for them to fly you out to Dallas, TX and have an on-site interview. However, I didn't make it that far.

Interview Question – Can't quite remember now. It was something about the project I was presenting about.   Answer Question

Dallas, TX (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Texas Instruments in December 2013.

Interview Details Straightforward process: on campus interview, phone interview, and on-site interviews. Managers don`t purposely put you under the pressure, they just need to know who you are and why you want to work for the company. If you can present yourself well and know EE fundamentals, there shouldn`t be any problem. Great company, where employees love their work (most important point for me).

Interview Question – How did you prepare for the interview (I was in the middle of Finals so I didn`t prepare at all).   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Great offer, no negotiation.

Applications Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Texas Instruments in October 2013.

Interview Details Submitted my resume through campus career fair, got the interview notification the second day. The interviewer asked me some behavior questions such as "what do you know about ti" "why do you want to join TI." They also asked about the TA experiences. Such as what you learned from your TA work. If you found an error in you notes at class, how do you handle it.

Interview Question – I am asked about how I learned DSP.   Answer Question

Dallas, TX (US)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Texas Instruments in November 2013.

Interview Details The interview process was extensive but extremely quick. After the career fair I had an interview the next day, two phone calls, one virtual interview and then they flew me to Dallas for two more interviews and a dinner with people in the program.

The process was great! They paid for flight, rental car, hotel room, dinner, and traveler check to cover any other items. TI takes care of you and you can tell that they treat all their employees like they matter. They are a top tier company and definitely show it.

Interview Question – No unexpected questions. Advice is to show strong presentation skills.   Answer Question

Dallas, TX (US)

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Texas Instruments in October 2013.

Interview Details First round was a webcam interview where you record yourself answering some basic behavioural/interest questions. Second round was a phone interview with two current TI Applications engineers. You prepare a 10 minute presentation on a technical project you've done for the phone interview, and share slides via TI's videoconference system. Third round was in person at TI - they fly you down to Dallas to interview at headquarters, again presenting on the same project.

Questions are technical, but based around your project (and expect a ton of behavioural questions if said project was a group project), so just make sure that you can talk in-depth about the dirty details. Also be prepared to discuss anything on your resume.

Interview Question – Just all of the technical detail on my project - everything down to coding algorithms for a mainly hardware project.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Wanted a better balance of field and desk work.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Texas Instruments

Worked for Texas Instruments? Contribute to the Community!

Texas Instruments Videos

Texas Instruments – Why Work for Us?

Look around you. TI is there. Our analog and embedded processing technologies power every type of electronics you touch – from laptops and cameras to auto infotainment systems and medical technologies to video games… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Texas Instruments Applications Engineer interview questions and advice. All 27 interview reviews posted anonymously by Texas Instruments employees and interview candidates.