The Gap Interview Questions

Updated Sep 17, 2014
Updated Sep 17, 2014

2.4

Associate Visual Merchandiser Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 months - interviewed at The Gap.

Phone interview, In-Person Interview including at home project and on site project. All interviews are all about personality plus presentation skills. Individuals should be articulate and polished skills. As well as be a proactive thinker and creative. Good business acumen a plus.

Sales Associate/Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Texas City, TX (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Texas City, TX (US)

interviewed at The Gap in September 2012.

Gap conducted on the spot interviews at a job fair. It was surprising. They asked basic questions. They were friendly and professional despite conducting interviews in a gym. I received a call from them about a week later.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 months - interviewed at The Gap in August 2010.

Applied online, and took about half a year to received a call in for an interview. When you come in for your initial first contact interview you meet with the lead manager and you have a 1 on 1 interview with them. These questions are mostly behavioral questions and also about your past experiences and your goals. Then for the second interview, you will be paired with someone else and asked team orientated interviews. Then at the end of the second interview you will receive an offer.

Interview Questions
    You write how much you expect to be paid on a piece of paper, and the manager also writes you an offer on a piece of paper.

Sales Associate/Cashier Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at The Gap in October 2013.

Applied online, Got a call to come into store for an interview a few days later, Group interview with 7 other candidates, Got a call about 4 days later with a job offer.

Stock Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at The Gap in September 2014.

I applied for the job online and was called to come in for an interview the next day. I met with one of the managers, he asked me my email, when I was available and explained to me what the duties of this job was. My interview lasted about 5 minutes and he didn't ask any typical interview questions. I received an email the next day telling me that I got the job and listed the salary as well.

Associate Sourcing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Francisco, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at The Gap in August 2014.

Recruiter contacted me through Linkedin and the process took a little over a month. I had 2 phone interviews and 3 onsite interviews, although I believe I came in more than usual. The recruiting coordinator said most people come in 1 or 2 times and apologized that there were scheduling conflicts. Met with a total of 6 people for onsite interviews.

Interview Questions
    • There weren't any unexpected questions. Just be able to explain your experience and walk through your resume really well. They asked the usual behavioral questions as well as specific questions about your experience for the position. The job description was pretty indicative of the position-related questions they asked.   Answer Question
    The offer was much lower than I expected. I negotiated and got a minimal amount above the original offer. I should have waited a few days and asked them to go back to their compensation analysts.

Director, Government Affairs Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at The Gap in June 2014.

I had a phone interview with Talent Acquisition professional. Interview last approximately one hour. The position was to be part of an existing team of government affairs and communications professionals most who seemed to have previous work history with the company.

The interview was fairly straight forward with no really unexpected questions or difficult ones if you are prepared for the interview.

The Talent Acquisition professional volunteered how many individuals were in the running for the position and was very clear that the process would not be a lengthy one. In totally, it seemed that from the first interview to the final interview, the process lasted only three weeks.

Replenishment Associate Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at The Gap in July 2014.

I work at the Gap on 34th street. It seems to me that most people are hired by a third party called workforce1. most of all the new hires are hired through them as was I. I went through 3 interviews. The first interview was a pre-screen process at the workforce1 center (bond street, Brooklyn). it was a group interview with about 20+ people "interviewing" for different jobs at different businesses. You get to choose which jobs you want to try out for. At the end of the group interview they tell you which jobs they will push you forward to. I went twice the first time I did not get the Gap. The next interview was a few days later with the stores head manager/GM (still not sure of her title but that is besides the point. She is really nice and pulls no punches, she lets you know up front this is not a 9-5 job with guaranteed 40 hours a week. If that is what you are looking for you can leave out the door, judgment free zone. This was also a group interview, a bit smaller maybe 15 people. After that interview she reserved the right to call you from the time you leave until Sunday at 8 pm. I got called later that night around 10pm and was scheduled for an interview the next day. This was another group interview and took place at an office near the Gap on 34th street with the hiring manager. This group interview was much smaller than the others, there was about 8-10 people. It was pretty much standard go around of answering and asking questions. I got a call a week later saying they wanted to move forward and needed to do a background check. It took them 10+ days after that phone call to officially offer me the position.

Interview Questions
    • What are some fashion trends that you are noticing?   View Answer
    No negotiations. Previous to this I was working at another major fashion retail for about 11 months. Gap gave me 10.50 but this other hire got 11.50. The other hire had been working in retail close to 5 years and was once a manager. So if you have similar qualifications definitely correct them if they try and give you 10.50.

Merchandise Handler Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Fishkill, NY (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fishkill, NY (US)

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at The Gap in September 2014.

So pretty much my sister boyfriend told me that the gap distribution was hiring and so I went in person to apply and filled out a job application and then right after I got done I was interviewed then I passed the first interview which was your typical one on one interview and so then I went back a week later for the second interview which was a group interview/ getting a tour of place and so many people were there to the point to where they had to split all of us up into three different groups and so once you got with your group one of the workers lead you on a quick tour of the place and then brought you into a room where another lady was waiting for you guys and so they both interviewed you but they give you three cards to read and respond with your answer and right after the group interview was done they both stepped out of the room for a bit to discuss about who they want to keep and who they want to let go and so then they both came back in and one of the lady's asked for two people to step into the hallway with her and the other lady stayed with me and the rest of the group and so the lady who stepped out into the hallway told the two people that they didn't get the job and once she came back she told all of us that we had just gotten hired and so we went upstairs into another room to fill out tax information paperwork and payroll paperwork and to also get our orientation date and our hours and so after that was all done they told us that we have 24 hours to get drug tested otherwise they take the offer back if we don't get drug tested within the next 24 hours

LP Supervisor Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at The Gap in April 2010.

I was internal hire. The interview process was two separate interviews. The first over the phone followed by in-person interview with regional manager. The whole process lasted 4 weeks and went pretty smoothly.

Interview Questions
    • How I would handle being a supervisor for the first time.   Answer Question

Worked for The Gap? Contribute to the Community!