The Gap

Getting the Interview

231 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Washington, PA (US)

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at The Gap in April 2012.

Interview Details This was the first job I ever had and was the time when online applications was starting to boom. I went to the store and spoke to a manager who referred me to the site with a code also. I made an account and filed out the application. After a few days no one called so I called them and scheduled an interview. The woman who interviewed me was really nice and we went to a coffee shop across from the store to have the interview. It was kind of awkward but included your typical "Tell me about yourself and your hobbies," questions. So after that awfulness she told me I was a sure hire but she still had to background check me. (No drug test required at the time.) Of course no one called for two days so I called them and the woman who interviewed me went of town. But when she came back we talked and badda boom badda bang I had a job.

Interview Question – Every interview includes "Tell me about yourself." Which for me is essentially the most difficult question because I don't like to talk about myself (at least not out loud). But all they really want is to know that you are well established and can communicate. The best thing to do for this question is to think of what you're going to say beforehand. Think of something prominent in your life (i.e. your mom, siblings, drama class, football team, cheerleading) and make up a little script about it and how that's important then throw in other little details about things you do or things that make you (i.e. you're a master braider, best Barbie dress maker, spelling bee champ) and wah - lah you started a long conversation and probably passed the interview at this point.   Answer Question

Montreal, QC (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at The Gap in March 2014.

Interview Details Group interview (about 10 people). Everyone took turns to answer the question. The interview was about an hour long. All questions were situation-based and personal experience-based.

Interview Question – You had to try to sell what you were wearing to the interview. Yes, that means getting up and presenting your outfit!   Answer Question

Dawson, GA (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Gap in May 2011.

Interview Details Very upbeat, enthusiastic, really friendly and want to get to know you.
The initial interview is a little awkward because its a group interview so it feels much like a cattle call,
the second interview was still group but only 2-3 people and after that i received a phone call with a job offer. I do know that the way they tell you they aren't interested is kind of off putting because its just a postcard in the mail.

Interview Question – How would you handle a situation of lying or stealing involving a fellow co-worker or management team memeber?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There really wasn't much of one; because i was a broke college student happy to jsut have a stable paycheck; as low as it was.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Gap.

Interview Details They called me around a week after I submitted my application asking for a phone interview. It was basic questions but also questions about what style magazines do you read? What is your favorite trend during different seasons, etc.

Interview Question – They asked if you would be able to sell a Gap Card and seeing as I didn't really know what that entailed it was difficult to answer but all the questions were pretty basic.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They start you off around 8.00 but I was able to negotiate higher. Pretty chill and were willing to work with you.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Gap in October 2013.

Interview Details Group interview followed by 1 on 1. Interviewed by manager for the department applied for. Basic questions about retail experience, customer service skills and why you want to work for the company

Interview Question – Why did you choose the gap   View Answer

New York, NY (US)

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at The Gap in October 2013.

Interview Details Job postings were located on the Gap website under employment. You would search for the area and/or store number of the Gap you wish to apply to, compete the online survey and personal questionnaire, and finally attaching and submitting your application. Pretty straight forward group interview, the assistant manager brought up a scenario and listened to each individual answer on how we would handle said scenario.

Interview Question – A co-worker walks into the store and greets you and continues to walk to the stock room. Moments later, he leaves the stock room and you notice he is wearing a different shirt he was initially wearing going into the room. How would you handle this situation?   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at The Gap in September 2010.

Interview Details Dropped off my resume to the store and they called back a week later to set up an in-person interview. The interview took place in the store and the interviewee asked questions about customer services and sales experience.

Interview Question – The interview was rather easy, as they did not ask any difficult or behavioral questions   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They called me back about a week later and offered me the part-time position. I was asked to come in, with the required documents, to start the training process a week later.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at The Gap in June 2012.

Interview Details I applied online in June 2012 and I got a call back about a week later asking me to come in for a group interview. The interview group was pretty big, about 10 people, but we were all asked the basic questions about why we want to work at Gap, previous experience (which I didn't have at the time but the hiring manager let me substitute with school experience). I heard back about 3 days later offering me a position.

Interview Question – There really wasn't anything that was too difficult or unexpected in the interview.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There were no negotiations, they offered me $9.00 an hour to start.

Interviewed at The Gap

Interview Details One interview, management very friendly, general questions and role play

Negotiation Details – Very smooth transition

Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Gap in March 2014.

Interview Details I applied online then got an email asking to come in for a group interview. I arrived about 15 minutes early, told a sales associate i was here for a interview. They said the interviewer wasn't ready and said to wait. I browsed around the store and notice a couple people waiting so i assumed they were here for the group interview too.
10-15 after the time the interview should have started they asked us to go through a back door, it was basically their stock room. They had chairs for the seven of us to sit.
The interview was really nice, he introduced himself and told us how long hes been with the company and how he use to work for Gap in another continent before be promoted and moving here.

Interview question were:
Tell me about yourself/something unique about you?
What kind of style is Gap?
Who is Gap targeted towards/ who shops there?
What do you think customers look for when they come into the store?
Why do you want to work here?
I noticed the interview wast talking any notes but just listening and responding to our answers so i assumed he was already interested in hiring us.

At the end of the interview we were able to ask questions. The main question i think most of us wanted to know was how many people they were planning to hire. They want to hire about 50 people. I was shocked, considering the interviewer said they have 150+ employees.
I kind of became less interesting because i realized i wouldn't get many shifts.
He told us he would email all of us and let us know if they wanted to continue the hiring process or not.
A couple days later i got another email asking to come in for another group interview i agreed. When i got there it turned out it wasn't a group interview. It was a one on one with a store manager and we had to pick out an outfit and sell it to the manager in the middle of the busy store (it was a Friday Afternoon).
I was taken off guard and i didn't do so well on selling the outfit which is important in retail.

I was told i would get a call about the interview and whether i would be moving forward or not, but never did.

Overall it was a good experience and i will be more prepared.

Interview Question – Selling an outfit to the store manager in the store while there were customers shopping.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at The Gap

Worked for The Gap? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at The Gap Sales Associate interview questions and advice. All 231 interview reviews posted anonymously by The Gap employees and interview candidates.