The Gap

Average Difficulty
262 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at The Gap in August 2014.

Interview Details I applied online and received a phone call the very next day. The phone call lasted 5-10 minutes, and just went over a couple basic things from a prior retail job I had. Two days later, I was scheduled for an in person interview. That one lasted about an hour, with the same person who did my phone interview. It was very easy and laid back, but it may have helped that I am familiar with the brand, love fashion, and have several years of retail experience. I had to wait for the required background check to go through. Exactly one week after my in person interview, I got a call offering me the job.

Interview Question – How would you sell a pair of jeans that you had never seen or even touched until that moment to a customer who was interested?   View Answer

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Gap.

Interview Details Pretty generic interview questions that can be prepared beforehand, i.e. greatest strength and weakness, how you deal with difficult situations, etc. I was contacted for an interview and hired within 2 weeks or so.

Interview Question – "What does the Gap brand mean to you?"   Answer Question

Sales Associate

I applied through college or university and the process took 5 days - interviewed at The Gap in September 2010.

Interview Details it was quick and concise... And, getting an interview pretty much guarantees hiring. the staff seems welcoming. not that much questions during the interview process. it was informal so for the position it is really not nerve wracking.

Negotiation Details – quick

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Gap in August 2011.

Interview Details just apply online and they'll call you if they're interested. interview process is pretty easy. just be yourself and answer honestly and you should be set. i wore a v neck sweater and an oxford button down and skinny jeans. they tell you to sell them what you have on and that was pretty easy. try to stand out but don't over do it because it doesnt seem like they like that too much.

Interview Question – nothing out of the ordinary.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – there wasn't one. its was a starting position so i took it. 8.25 isn't so bad.

Brooklyn, NY (US)

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at The Gap.

Interview Details I applied online for The Gap , and the next day I got a call for an interview. The interview was a group interview with at least 20 people, there were three mangers and each one of them asked a question, and everyone took turns answering the question, and they did a little thing where you had to try and remember everyones name in the circle.

Interview Question – There were no difficult questions. When is there a time when you had to deal with a difficult customer? What is a time you made a mistake and how did you fix it? what is one word that describe you?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no negotiation

New York, NY (US)

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at The Gap in January 2013.

Interview Details applied online got a phone call and group interview in the same week. About ten people there. Very friendly environment. Not intimidating at all. Depending on the hiring manager, the process is fairly simple.

Interview Question – general questions none were difficult or unexpected   Answer Question

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Gap in June 2014.

Interview Details Went in the store for introduction then applied online. I had an one on one interview with the manager and the interview questions were pretty standard. Mostly about previous work experience and how I would handle difficult situations. However, I didn't find the manager to be very professional. Main reason why I declined the offer. Totally agree with some other comments, the management could be a hit or miss.

Reason for Declining – I didn't want to work for that particular manager.

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at The Gap.

Interview Details I had to keep calling and finally when one of the managers that I needed picked up the phone I was scheduled for an interview at that time. I went in and had a typical interview and was hired on the spot.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work for Gap?
Describe your sense of style?
Who influences your style?
What qualities can you bring to the Gap?
Why should we hire you?
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at The Gap in June 2014.

Interview Details I applied online and got a call from the store one month later. I went in for an interview that day. The associates who were working seemed nice enough. Overall low-key environment. My interviewer (the hiring manager for the store) was dressed fairly casually, in a Gap maxi dress. In this particular store the interview was very informal and friendly.

Interview Question – There were few questions and all of them were very easy. Availability, previous retail experience, "Why do you want to work here?"   Answer Question

Greenville, SC (US)

I interviewed at The Gap in May 2010.

Interview Details Quick interview, be very nice and be clean, stylish. It is a one round interview. expect to know you got the job before you leave the interview. Just be personable. Be yourself. They are not looking to hire rocket scientists.

Interview Question – nothing unexpected, but before you go into the interview, be sure to think of 'a time you were persuasive' have it on your mind.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – you have about 50 cents worth of wiggle room from whatever they offer.

Worked for The Gap? Contribute to the Community!