The Home Depot

Average Difficulty
212 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Saint Louis, MO (US)

I applied online - interviewed at The Home Depot in July 2014.

Interview Details Process started with automated phone questions which anyone could answer. Then I was transfered to a live person who asked me several more questions. I was told after answering the questions that I had passed that portion of the interview process. Then that live person scheduled a face to face interview at the local Home Depot store. Face to face interview at store was with a woman who seemed like she could care less about me, the interview, or her job. The interviewer did no make eye contact with me, she seemed distracted, and was unprofessional. She gave me very little information and did not explain to me the purpose for, or the reason why, she was requesting certain information from me. The interview lasted about ten minutes. Two weeks passed and I got a call from the lady who interviewed me requesting that I provide a state I.D. in order for them to run a background check. I was asked at that time if I was still interested in a position at Home Depot. I was told that the position I applied for was no longer available but they were considering me for other positions but did not tell me which ones.

Interview Question – There were no difficult questions or unexpected questions.   View Answer

Reason for Declining – After face to face interview at the store I decided that it was not a work environment that I wanted to be a part of.

Very Easy Interview

Alton, IL (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at The Home Depot in February 2010.

Interview Details Short phone interview, In person interview, and drug screening directly after...very slow to call though...very slow to get me in for initial training...then you spend a couple weeks doing "Rapid Web Based Training" Depending on your position you might have more or less training to do. Aside from that it was just paperwork and waiting three weeks for the drug screening results

Interview Question – None...All of the questions were simple and easy, Like If you were in this situation what would you do, Is stealing okay, or Tell me about a situation where you had to deal with this or that   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Zero negotiation possible just take it or leave it at 8.35

Cashier

I applied online - interviewed at The Home Depot in September 2013.

Interview Details They asked a lot of basic questions about experience with customer service, how I could handle it when we get long lines, blah blah, it was honestly all very basic customer service questions. They don't ask you if you know about hardware or lumber or anything I don't think they really care.

Interview Question – There were no mind blowing questions. Maybe the most difficult I guess was what are your weaknesses? idk..   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The rate will be 9.75, do you accept? lol.

Very Easy Interview

Cashier

I applied in-person and the process took 2 days - interviewed at The Home Depot in February 2010.

Interview Details Only had one interview. Manager was very nice hired me on the stop. I have 3 years retail experience. The manager basically explained everything that was going to be my job. She was very nice and She never made me feel uncomfortable even though this was only my 2nd interview.

Interview Question – There weren't many questions.   Answer Question

Interviewed at The Home Depot

Interview Details I applied online, and I heard back about a month later for a phone interview. 2 days later I got an email to set up my in-person interview. I am hoping that I get the job.

Interview Question – On the phone interview: What was your most difficult time you had at your old job.   Answer Question

Los Angeles, CA (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Home Depot in July 2014.

Interview Details I got hired on the spot, which was very unexpected. I had 24 hours to take the drug test and I took it immediately after the interview. My interviewer didn't seem like someone who judges off of stupid things such as eye contact. She said I had a great attitude and she believed I would be a good employee for The Home Depot. I am a recent college graduate with a bachelors degree in Business Administration. I believe it helped her decision to hire me knowing that I wouldn't be taking more classes in the fall because I am done with college and my availability is open. They do work with you if you do have take classes.

Interview Question – Do you want to work for a company where you will grow?   Answer Question

South Houston, TX (US)

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at The Home Depot in July 2014.

Interview Details I was 15 minutes early, the manager was very kind and thanked me for being early. He asked me to wait for a few minutes and came and got me at appt. time. There were about 8 straight forward questions, which I answered that were common sense in regards tp dealing with the company.

Interview Question – What would be the hardest thing to deal with during a shift   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I asked for what I thought they were hiring for, he said he wished he could do it worked on his computer and offered .75 less per hour.

Utica, MI (US)

I applied in-person and the process took 4 days - interviewed at The Home Depot in July 2014.

Interview Details Pretty simple questions if you have ever worked retail. A lot about dealing with customers. Had to interview with two separate people then they offered me the job. Must take drug screen within 48 hours.

Interview Question – Describe a time when you had to use speed and accuracy to complete a task.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not really any negotiation. They only pay $8.50 for cashiers.

Cashier

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at The Home Depot.

Interview Details Applied online, in about 4 days I was called in for an interview, they asked basic questions about the type of person I was, and such. After the interview they said that I had to go for a drug test that day. You can't reschedule. I got the job the next day after the drug screen.

Interview Question – Asked about the founders of the company. I researched before hand but I forgot the names towards the middle of the interview. The interviewer was nice about it and said I learn them pretty quick while working there.   Answer Question

Abbotsford, BC (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Home Depot in June 2014.

Interview Details Phone interview by someone in Toronto (for a position in Abbotsford BC). A face to face interview and time to fill out forms (i.e. consent for criminal background check) and references. A week later, a second interview with the store manager, which was a very comfortable meet and greet.

Interview Question – Tell me about yourself.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation. Either I accepted $10.75 and hour or I didn't.

Worked for The Home Depot? Contribute to the Community!