The Home Depot

1,680 Interview Reviews

2.3

Cashier Interview

I applied online – interviewed at The Home Depot.

All I can say is very odd.... I showed up to the Home Depot and went to the customer service area just like I was told on the phone (I had a short phone interview about 2 days before, super easy!). At the customer service area I was told to head toward the bathrooms and just wait in the employee lounge till the manager came to get me, which is totally not what I was told on the phone. I was told to go to the customer service area and the manager would meet me up there. Anyways, I went back to the employee lounge and asked an employee near there if they could help me out. They were super nice and went to get the manager for me. Five minutes later the manager showed up and admitted that he forgot about my interview, at this point I was totally not impressed but thought maybe it was just an off day for him.

We went into his office and he proceeded to look around for my file as I just sat there. He finally found it and asked me like 3 questions which were super easy. He offered me a position as a part time cashier but could only promise me 10 hours a week. Not what I was looking for at all, and I found it shocking that he didn't want to do a background check, drug test, or atleast check my references. I do admit I was a little over qualified for the position, I had been a cashier and a shift leader at other retail store, but still the entire thing seemed unprofessional. He told me the pay was $8.50 and it was non negotiable. Not impressed, could be good job for someone who needs a second job or only wants a couple hours a week.

Interview Questions
    • How would you deal with an angry customer?   View Answer

Lack of hours and pay. Could be a good second job if that's what a person is looking for

Finance Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at The Home Depot.

Phone interview and then go into the SSC for 2 behavioral and one case interview. Phone interview is relatively simple, they just ask you about yourself and why you want to work at The Home Depot. The interview at the corporate office is relatively easy as well. The case interview is basically just revenues minus costs and then finding NPV. They didn't even ask me to calculate NPV though, just the process.

Interview Questions
    • When was a time when you had to complete a task with insufficient information.   Answer Question

Freight Team Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at The Home Depot.

The interview process starts with an automated phone call asking if you can perform the basic job tasks. Once answered, a person comes on the line and sets up a local interview. The actual interview is a basic amount of set questions that most employers ask, such as, "When is a time you had to solve a problem at work?" or, "What is a weakness you have?" In addition to these questions, I was given the basic job requirements and explanation of the position as well as what the current department atmosphere was. The manager interviewing me was very open, friendly, and I felt at ease asking as many questions as I could to see if this position was a good fit both for the store and for me.

Interview Questions
    • What is a time you went above and beyond for a customer?   View Answer

Specialty Sales Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at The Home Depot.

The online info and interview was tedious at best. The online questionnaire was too long. I suspect this is designed to filter out people, but based on some of the people I work with I am amazed they got past it and received a job. Having been a manager at a national retailer I think they are just filling with warm bodies not really adding people who will become long term assets.

Interview Questions
    • How would you help a customer looking for something in the store!   View Answer

Freight Team Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at The Home Depot.

I got to the Home Depot about 15 min before my interview then went towards the front desk asked for directions to where I needed to go then made my way towards the back. I made contact with employees and told them why I was there they sat me down asked what time was my interview then said okay we'll be with you shortly. The interview went pretty good the questions were very simple to me nothing to confusing. In all the interview took about 15 to 20 min then they offerd me a position which I accepted and refered my application to that specific department manager and said wait for a call.

Assistant Store Manager Interview

What a mess - Vets stay away
    I came in for an assistant manager position that was advertised on the main home depot corporate site as well as locally. The first time I arrived the manager did not even show up. I rescheduled for another interview and the manager told me that the job was already filled and tried to get me some slightly above minimum wage job. Home Depot does not value education or leadership experience.

Veterans stay away! It is not veteran friendly unless you are looking for a minimum wage job. Look at the yearly turnover. Its staggering and very indicative of how they have evolved. There are no former electricians, plumbers, carpenters in their ranks and you surely do not need to be low balled into this company if you are coming out of the military. Go else where and prosper!

Interview Questions
    • Questions were juvenile and hardly worth mentioning. More time was spent talking about the poor hours and how hard it is on the family.   Answer Question

MET Team Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at The Home Depot.

Online. Phone. In store. 10 questions. Get hired. Drug test/background. Wait a week or so. You start. Pretty basic. As long as you have a brain and can answer with confidence and share positive and negative experiences and how you corrected them, they'll like ya.

Interview Questions

With previous (over 10 years experience) time in retail (management) they didn't even consider giving a bump in pay. Just one flat rate. Not worth it. Great for starters. Not for retail vets.

Lumber Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Peru, IL (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Peru, IL (US)

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at The Home Depot.

Initial interview Is with department lead, they ask why you think you are good for the job, what you would do with a difficult customer, and what you would do if you see a customer looking a little confused. Next day called me back in to meet with another supervisor and that was to offer position sign papers and give me drug test for for the hospitol.

Interview Questions
    No negotiations. Offer was as is......seasonal position, 9.50 an hour.

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA (US)

I applied online – interviewed at The Home Depot.

Consists of about 15 basic behavioral questions / tell me about a time when etc. there were two interviewers, team leader and a member of the team. Review scenarios from previous job before going to the interview. Never heard anything back from them after the interview. Neutral experience overall. Also review team based behavioral questions prior to the interview.

Part Time Paint Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN (US)

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at The Home Depot.

I applied online. Passed the personality test after submitting the application through their website. I was then contacted by phone from Atlanta for a quick phone interview. I was then asked to come into my local store for my first interview. I met with an ASM and a Dept. Supervisor. They offered me a possible full time position as the Department Supervisor, and set me up with another interview for that. The second in-store interview was with the Store Mng. and an ASM. They then officially offered me the position. I was given forms to do a pre-employment drug screening within 48 hours. After almost a week I was called in to sign my employment papers and schedule training. After training on the computer for a week, I participated in an off site training program for a week, at another store in our district, for more in depth training about being in a leadership role.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked a 'from experience' type of question.   View Answer