The Home Depot Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Aug 24, 2014
1,430 interviews

2.3

Garden Sales Associate Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at The Home Depot in March 2012.

There are two interviews. First is a phone interview if you pass that then you get to meet an assistant store manager for a face-to-face interview. After the second interview you have to go to a drug test right away.

Interview Questions
    • They give you different scenario's to see how you would handle the situation. Ex. " What would you do if you have a customer who ask's you a question you don't know the answer to?"   Answer Question

Lot Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Newark, DE (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newark, DE (US)

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Home Depot in February 2011.

Very laid back and typical. Basic questions as where do you you see yourself in a few years, what are your strength/weaknesses. Interviewed by two different people, both very friendly. Asked about hobbies and interests.

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Watsonville, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Watsonville, CA (US)

I interviewed online - interviewed at The Home Depot in August 2014.

Applied online and then got a response to call for phone interview. Passed that and got an in person interview. Still waiting on background and drug test. They ask a lot about customer service and your overall work experience

Interview Questions
    • There really wasn't any difficult just would you be able to lift heavy things a lot   View Answer

Sales Associate Interview

I interviewed in-person - interviewed at The Home Depot.

Plan plenty of time on the day of your interview. Managers are very disorganized and have little value for your time. You will end up waiting a long time, only to be pulled into some dingy office in back to be ask situation questions. The first three times I was scheduled for an interview, the person I had been scheduled to meet with was not in the store. They were either not there that day, out to lunch, in a meeting or at training. I finally told the last caller that, "if they were not interested in talking to me I would no longer waist theirs and my time". The forth time in going to the store I was granted the interview and hired. Be prepared for a low ball offer of part time only. Home Depot has a policy of hiring part time and then promoting to full time 6 to 12 months later, that is if you can survive 6 months to a year as a lot loader or pt cashier. Seen it happen time and time again. Lots of good people quit because they cannot feed their family on the merger pt salary. Also, guess what, no big surprise, you get no benefits while on your part time incubation period. It is all about the DOLLAR. Don't let them pull your leg.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me a time when or how you did or did not do something on the job. Would you turn your grandmother in if you saw her stealing?   Answer Question
    Just above min. wage and usually hired on part time basis. Not much negotiation. Increases are literally in nickle and dime increments, so be prepared for slow progress on your check!!!

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Chicago, IL (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL (US)

interviewed at The Home Depot in November 2013.

Got in touch with me, then easy set up to an appointment. They were running late, which was a bit annoying, but it was an associate position. Interview was pretty straight forward, mostly focusing on my availability, and if I could work when they needed.

Interview Questions
    • Would you be willing to put trash in compactor without gloves? Very strange question, can they not afford gloves?   Answer Question
    none

MET Associate Interview

Basic interview questions. Interviewee reads from a script. Most questions have to do with previous work experience. There are also questions relating to situations that may arise during the workday. Other than that, it was the interviewee reading from his script/describing the job related duties.

Part Time Cashier Interview

I interviewed online - interviewed at The Home Depot in February 2013.

Very professional. Panel of three management employees for initial interview. Second interview was a panel of two management employees. Each interview went for approximately 30 minutes. After the hiring there were a few employment classes for about 4 new employees. Very informative.

No negotiation on pay.

Delivery Puller Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Oceanside, CA (US)
    Anonymous Employee in Oceanside, CA (US)

I interviewed online - interviewed at The Home Depot.

Basically Home Depot is very informal when it comes to getting a job. You apply online but really you cannot talk to anyone about your employment unless they talk to you.

After applying online, I received a phone interview a few days later. I missed it but was contacted via email about it. The number I called was their Retail Staffing Center. I called back a few days later to do the phone interview but didn't get through to anyone, just entered my information to an automated phone computer and it said I would be contacted if they wanted to interview me.

I waited a week, meanwhile trying to get through to someone with no success. Finally I received the same email again almost 2 weeks later but I called immediately when I received it and finally got through to a live person. That person asked me if I was available for certain hours and basic info.

The final question I was asked was how would I benefit Home Depot or successfully go about this job once the person described it to me. They take the first answer you give them so be careful.

Next is an interview with the HR Supervisor at the store that wants to hire you if they like your answers. It's worth a try to contact them after you get the phone interview to try an get the job.

Show up in casual business wear.

Interview Questions
    • How would you best preform the job of delivery puller?   View Answer

I found a better position for higher pay at another company. Home Depot pays really well so I would have accepted, but I had applied at many other places while trying to obtain this job which is what everyone should do.

Tool Rental Interview

I interviewed online - interviewed at The Home Depot in September 2010.

Received a call about a month after applying. I had an interview with an HR specialist in store. it was a short basic boiler plate interview. I was applying as an inshore associate.
    The online app included a questionnaire to determine my mental abilities and problems. I answered honestly and interviewed

Interview Questions
    not much, hourly job when i was in college

Freight Team Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Flowery Branch, GA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Flowery Branch, GA (US)

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at The Home Depot in January 2014.

I applied for the Freight Team position online and approximately a week later, I received a call from Home Depot's recruiting center to setup an in store interview. The in-store interview consisted of your normal run of the mill interview questions. Questions were asked about previous work experience, handling different customer service scenarios, and availability. The interview was conducted by the store's Operations Manager and Freight Team Supervisor. After about a week or so I was called back for a drug screen and background check.

Interview Questions

Worked for The Home Depot? Contribute to the Community!