The Nielsen Company

Updated 31 Oct 2014
Updated 31 Oct 2014

37 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mumbai (India)
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mumbai (India)

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at The Nielsen Company in October 2014.

The hiring process comprised of aptitude test and PI. Before the aptitude test detailed presentation about the company and the role offered were given, the company people were open to all kind of questions. The aptitude test comprised of Quant, two short cases (one on interpretation of a sample research finding and other about suggestions on a new product launch) and verbal (mainly error correction).
Based on the aptitude marks candidates were shortlisted for PI. Quant has the maximum weightage.
The PI had three rounds comprising of technical(about research, some situations were also given) and HR questions (all sort of questions about you and few questions about the company and profile offered).
Selection was done after a short interaction with the VP.

Interview Questions
  • Convince Apple Inc. to opt for market research as a client of Nielsen.
    Name of CEO of Nielsen India.
      Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for The Nielsen Company

Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL (US)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at The Nielsen Company in August 2014.

Was contacted by an HR rep about a month after submitting my application online. Had a phone interview in the following days, which was easy and nothing out of the ordinary, although be prepared for "give an example of a time you had to explain a complex topic in simple terms". After that, there was an online assessment, which consisted of both personality questions, as well as a series of logic questions (the kind where you are given some info and have to put events in the correct order). You get 3 minutes per logic question. I was then contacted the following week for an on-site interview and exam. The exam is 1 hour, 10 questions (with sub parts) and not challenging if you've read the posts on here and prepared for the topics. Then there were three 45-minute interviews. The questions really depend on the interviewer. My first one was very heavy on the analytical questions, e.g. you have 15 minutes and a ruler, how do you measure how many blades of grass are on a football field. The other 2 were more behavioral, with a few marketing/analytical questions, e.g. there's a store with whole, 2%, 1%, skim, and chocolate milk, the owner wants to add soy milk, which milk to you take out and why (just be able to justify your response, there's no right answer). Then there's lunch with a current analyst, which is casual and just a fun time to talk about the role and the company! I don't think this happens often, but I then had another quick phone interview, and at the end I was offered the job.

Interview Questions
    • How much milk is sold in the US every year?   View Answer
    Didn't negotiate, I was happy with the offer and excited to work for the company!

Research Analyst Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at The Nielsen Company in July 2014.

very impressed at the way things work in Nielsen company, contacted immediately after the test for the results. very quick, clear and crisp. only one thing I did not understand is why dont they allow to sit for all the tests? i am sure many of you'l will agree with me...........having studied 5 years of statsistics you wont be judged on it and wont be allowed to give test unless you clear Maths and English, that too with 70%.
    goodluck to all trying for this company
    it isnt everybody's cup of tea, but one should always give it a try.

Interview Questions
    • nothing is difficult if you study hard core for aptitude tests, but after achieving your masters degree in a particular subject one often sidelines aptitude, so only advice is go for it the harder way!!!.   Answer Question

Research Analyst Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at The Nielsen Company.

Phone screening, Behavioral Assessment, In person math exam, three interviews with five people, and then maybe lunch if you're lucky.

The process was very intimidating yet beneficial as well.

If you don't pass the math exam you can not move on with the interview process.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to leave your current job? I didn't want to say anything bad about my current employer but how do I say all the reasons why I want to leave.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied in-person – interviewed at The Nielsen Company.

Two rounds of interviews, with a written assessment

Research Analyst Interview

Interview process has multiple stages
    Couple of technical rounds
    then HR interview
    Technical rounds may have stat, Case study prstn, language proficiency questions.

Interview Questions
    • managing time for the written test is most dificult   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied online – interviewed at The Nielsen Company.

Applied online, was asked for a phone interview to which I replied with available times and received no response. I followed up within the time frame in case the email was lost or something but still nothing. Very odd and unprofessional. It seems that if there were too many responses an email is an easy thing to send these days.

Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hong Kong (Hong Kong)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hong Kong (Hong Kong)

4 rounds.
    1. written test
    2. group discussion & presentation
    3. panel interviews (HR, case studies, background check)
    4. presentation to the head of the team

Interview Questions
    • not very difficult in general, require some understanding about the market research industry and good analytical mind is very crucial.   Answer Question

Research Analyst Interview

first round interview was written test and the group interview by a human resources staff and the human resources manager. written test was about java and vba, but all i know about the two systems was their names. so i didn't pass the first round.

Interview Questions
    • written test was about computer skills but i never learned it and my major was nothing related to computer sciences.   Answer Question

Research Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at The Nielsen Company.

Applied online through university recruitment.

Was invited to complete a reasoning test. The test included basic statistics questions (high-school level problems) along with a case study at the end, giving a client a recommendation. The test seemed easy but I didn't not get invited back to any further steps. It seems like the test was used to weed out candidates. I'm certain all the math questions were answered correctly. Perhaps they were looking for unique answers to the case study.

Interview Questions
    • If there X amount of members in a community and Y percentage read a newspaper. W amount read paper A and Z amount read paper B. What percent of community members read both paper A and B?   Answer Question