The World Bank

Updated 23 Feb 2015
Updated 23 Feb 2015

3.1

Short Term Consultant Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at The World Bank.

The interview process included one phone interview, two in-person interviews, and an offer received within 2 weeks. There was some negotiation involved in salary but eventually a desirable offer was made and accepted.

Interview Questions
    Some back and forth negotiation on salary and start date.

Analyst Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at The World Bank.

interviewers were very nice, did not ask hard questions, just be yourself, dress appropriately, formal is always advisable. arrive early and on time, polities, respectful, smile and be happy always, follow up with a thank you note.

Senior Finance Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at The World Bank.

applied online and I got a phone call after about a month. I did not have much time to prepare because the interview was the following day. Afterwards, I was given the offer and invited to my duty station for a familiarisation tour (or so).

Interview Questions
    • There was nothing difficult or unexpected. It was competency based. The pannel were very friendly and tried to make me feel at ease so I could answere the questions because I was a bit tense. I had to relate my skills and expereiences to the competencies of the position   Answer Question

Fund Analyst Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at The World Bank in December 2014.

Went through two rounds of interviews. First round was rather brief about 20 mins. The interviewers (2 WB staffs) explained about the project and the position and they asked only two questions: why do you want to work for the project? and why do you want to work for this position? The second round of interview was longer and questions asked were rather general. The second round interview lasted about 45 mins and there were 3 panel members. Since I do not live in the US, the interviews were done by phone.

Young Professional Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC (US)

I applied online. The process took 7+ monthsinterviewed at The World Bank in December 2014.

The first round included an online application including a personal essay. Letters if recommendation were requested for the second round. The final round was an interview at Washington dc. It was a day long interview consisting of a technal panel interview and a team case study.

Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC (US)

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at The World Bank.

There were interviews by three senior managers
    they asked questions about my prior experience, my aspirations, how I would go about delivering on work programme
    The interviews were not difficult and not particularly challenging

Research Analyst Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at The World Bank in August 2014.

The interview was with a panel of 3. Two economists, one research analyst. They asked mainly about my CV and then some behavioral questions. The people were really friendly. They don't pressure you nor give you hard time. Prepare to answer common questions like "Tell me about you", "tell one difficulty you met and how you solved it". Also, prepare to brief any paper you have on your CV. Mine interview wasn't technical probably because I worked as an research assistant before. Definitely prepare more examples from your similar working experience cause they are going to be really interested in it.

Interview Questions
    • If 5 people knock on your door and ask you to do things for them, all urgent, what would you do? If you received multiple tasks and you knew you couldn't finish all of them on time, what would you do?   Answer Question

Short-term Consultant (STC) Interview

I was introduced to the office manager informally by a friend, and set up an informational interview with her, without knowing any specific openings. After talking to me about half an hour about my general backgrounds and skills, she seemed to like me, and then said, one of our teams was looking for someone to fill an administrative position. It is probably not what you are looking for, since you have a master's degree. But are you willing to try? I said, yes!! I am willing to take any job, to get my foot in the door.

Interview Questions
    • "What do you want to do in the future"..   View Answer

Short-term Consultant (STC) Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC (US)

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at The World Bank in June 2014.

90 Minute interview, in person after hearing a presentation I held in a large meeting the day before. Did not hear anything from them in the following weeks although they said they were going to contact me within 2 weeks. After several follow-up calls and emails, they said they found someone else who fit the job more closely (2 months later).

Interview Questions
    • Could you describe how you would measure and quantify fertilizer usage in a small village in Chile?   Answer Question

Long Hiring Process Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC (US)

I applied online. The process took 9+ monthsinterviewed at The World Bank.

The World Bank gets a lot of international applications. The hiring manager will first get a long list from HR, then will come down to a short list (6-10 candidates). These candidates will have to fill in a written test. If you succeed you'll be selected for an interview panel.

Interview Questions
    • No really unexpected questions. This is not Google. So get prepared, know your business, know your sector, remember this is an international environment, You could have in your panel people from Asia, Europe, the US... With different body languages, all talking global english. So be really open to diversity.   Answer Question
    No negociation phase.