The World Bank

Relevance Date Difficulty

Program Assistant Interview

Program Assistant
Washington, DC (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5 days - interviewed at The World Bank in July 2010.

Interview Details Interview is conducted with a recrutiment officer. If selected for further assessment you will be asked to take an exam to test your language, technology, and other skills. You are put through timed exams that test everything including any second language you may claim to speak.

Interview Question – Detailed questions on processes for Access DB and SQL for management of a database. I had to give them a menu path without being able to demonstrate it on a computer. This was during a panel interview which was even harder.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Had a better offer from another organization

Research Analyst Interview

Research Analyst

I applied in-person and the process took 5 days - interviewed at The World Bank in November 2013.

Interview Details For a research analyst position, usually the interview panel includes about four to five people. Usually the manager, who the research analyst won't be in the second round of interviews (after screening). Questions cover the ‘responsibilities“ part of the terms of reference, and should be very professional. Usually the person whose profile fits the best will get most "yay"s. However, courtesy is very very important. Please remember to send a thank you letter.

Interview Question – technical question relevant to the requirement of the job; team work (how did you resolve conflicts with your team members)   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I was an interviewer

Specialist Interview

Specialist
Washington, DC (US)

I interviewed at The World Bank in March 2011.

Interview Details The interview include phone then personal interview, it involved a panel and was mostly technical. Focus was on showing technical knowledge as well as familiarity with the type of work that is expected to be done. Typically 3-6 candidate are short-listed for face to face interview. Familiarity with the institution is not necessarily required.

Interview Question – The most difficult question concerned giving a response in a context that I was not familiar with. I was given a question in my area of domain and asked to apply it on Bangladesh, a country I knew nothing about. The purpose of such questions is to see whether the candidate is able to use their knowledge in different contexts and to modify the approach and thinking based on the country specific context. Such questions almost always come up at interviews and the best answer is to make some assumptions about the context in case you are not familiar with it.   Answer Question

Short-term Consultant (STC) Interview

Short-term Consultant (STC)

Interviewed at The World Bank

Interview Details I was introduced to the office manager informally by a friend, and set up an informational interview with her, without knowing any specific openings. After talking to me about half an hour about my general backgrounds and skills, she seemed to like me, and then said, one of our teams was looking for someone to fill an administrative position. It is probably not what you are looking for, since you have a master's degree. But are you willing to try? I said, yes!! I am willing to take any job, to get my foot in the door.

Interview Question – "What do you want to do in the future"..   View Answer

Short-term Consultant (STC) Interview

Short-term Consultant (STC)
Washington, DC (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at The World Bank in October 2013.

Interview Details I got the job information from my Professor, applied and then was asked for codes and writing sample, received phone interview after 10 days, the questions were asked in the phone interview including: Explain what is cluster analysis? What's your experience with STATA and LaTex? What is you biggest weakness for this position?

Interview Question – What is you biggest weakness for this position?   Answer Question

Senior Specialist Interview

Senior Specialist
Washington, DC (US)

I applied online and the process took 9 months - interviewed at The World Bank in June 2013.

Interview Details Four months after applying I received an email mentioning I was shortlisted. In that same communication they asked me for my availability for the next month. Two weeks later they scheduled the interview at their HQ.
The interview consisted of a practical test, very specific to the position I was applying to. It lasted the whole morning. at a later point I met with a panel, who was fairly amicable and asked relevant questions.

My issue with the process is that it is VERY slow and HR does a very poor job of communicating with the candidates. In the end the process was canceled due to lack of funds.

Interview Question – Very specific questions to the job the WB does in the area. Study beforehand.   Answer Question

Long Hiring Process Interview

Long Hiring Process
Washington, DC (US)

I applied online and the process took 9 months - interviewed at The World Bank.

Interview Details The World Bank gets a lot of international applications. The hiring manager will first get a long list from HR, then will come down to a short list (6-10 candidates). These candidates will have to fill in a written test. If you succeed you'll be selected for an interview panel.

Interview Question – No really unexpected questions. This is not Google. So get prepared, know your business, know your sector, remember this is an international environment, You could have in your panel people from Asia, Europe, the US... With different body languages, all talking global english. So be really open to diversity.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negociation phase.

Junior Professional Associate Interview

Junior Professional Associate
Madrid (Spain)

I applied through college or university and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at The World Bank in June 2012.

Interview Details Personal interview with manager.

Interview Question – Interview was not very technical. Open ended questions about public policy and current economic events. My having technical skills was a maintained hypothesis.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation.

Business Analyst Interview

Business Analyst
Washington, DC (US)

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 1 week - interviewed at The World Bank in December 2013.

Interview Details The interviewers we not prepared what to ask. And they were asking each other to ask the next questions and laughing to each other. This looks like a joke for them and don't realize that's a future for the candidate.

Program Officer Interview

Program Officer
Washington, DC (US)

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at The World Bank in September 2012.

Interview Details It took a few months after I send my resume to get an interview. I first had a phone interview, then a second, in person, with the whole team. The interviews where well run, professional and gave me a clear sense of the expectations and the team. There was a good degree of sincere warnings about the position and the program, and the risks involved.

Interview Question – I did not expect questions on my personal network.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I did not negotiate much. I did not know they could have offered more, and should have offered me some compensation/expenses coverage for the relocation to DC.

Worked for The World Bank? Contribute to the Community!