The World Bank Interview Questions

Updated 16 Sep 2014

3.1

Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC (US)

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at The World Bank.

There were interviews by three senior managers
    they asked questions about my prior experience, my aspirations, how I would go about delivering on work programme
    The interviews were not difficult and not particularly challenging

Research Analyst Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at The World Bank in August 2014.

The interview was with a panel of 3. Two economists, one research analyst. They asked mainly about my CV and then some behavioral questions. The people were really friendly. They don't pressure you nor give you hard time. Prepare to answer common questions like "Tell me about you", "tell one difficulty you met and how you solved it". Also, prepare to brief any paper you have on your CV. Mine interview wasn't technical probably because I worked as an research assistant before. Definitely prepare more examples from your similar working experience cause they are going to be really interested in it.

Interview Questions
    • If 5 people knock on your door and ask you to do things for them, all urgent, what would you do? If you received multiple tasks and you knew you couldn't finish all of them on time, what would you do?   Answer Question

Short-term Consultant (STC) Interview

I was introduced to the office manager informally by a friend, and set up an informational interview with her, without knowing any specific openings. After talking to me about half an hour about my general backgrounds and skills, she seemed to like me, and then said, one of our teams was looking for someone to fill an administrative position. It is probably not what you are looking for, since you have a master's degree. But are you willing to try? I said, yes!! I am willing to take any job, to get my foot in the door.

Interview Questions
    • "What do you want to do in the future"..   View Answer

Long Hiring Process Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC (US)

I applied online. The process took 9+ monthsinterviewed at The World Bank.

The World Bank gets a lot of international applications. The hiring manager will first get a long list from HR, then will come down to a short list (6-10 candidates). These candidates will have to fill in a written test. If you succeed you'll be selected for an interview panel.

Interview Questions
    • No really unexpected questions. This is not Google. So get prepared, know your business, know your sector, remember this is an international environment, You could have in your panel people from Asia, Europe, the US... With different body languages, all talking global english. So be really open to diversity.   Answer Question
    No negociation phase.

Economist Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at The World Bank.

Panel of 3 or 4 people, ask u questions on broad topics ( can be anything), so prepare to have broad knowledge and try to use commnsense

Interview Questions
    Very little bargaining power. HR obfuscates, obstructs and generally tries to get u on the cheap... Another offer from another place may help you better

Research Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at The World Bank.

3 weeks from applying to getting an interview

Interview Questions
    • They were all as expected. Sometimes abrasive but nothing too harsh.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC (US)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at The World Bank.

short interview

Interview Questions
    • questions were professional ones and quite straight forward.   Answer Question
    not really

Department Head Interview Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at The World Bank.

Applied online. About 2 months later, I get an email to come to the office for a 45 min panel interview in about 1 month (this was over the holidays)

I showed up thinking this was an initial screening or something similar, because there was no phone screen and this interview was so short. I walk into the interview room and there are 12 people there from various departments (IT, Finance, Legal, etc). The conference room was a long narrow one, so I entered on one end and had to squeeze my way to the opposite end to get to my seat.

Over the next 45 min, I was peppered with questions from most of the 12. The one thing I found interesting was that the interview focused on 2 bullet points of the lengthy job description.

I got a note a couple of weeks later saying they went with another candidate.

Everyone was very friendly and professional. It was just very different than anything I had experienced before.

Interview Questions
    • I can't even remember. Questions were flying at me fairly quickly.   Answer Question

Economist Consultant Interview

Three rounds of interview. First in person, then another round in person, and then over the phone.

Interview Questions
    I didn't negotiate. I was not used to that. Maybe I should have though.

Short-term Consultant (STC) Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at The World Bank.

Asked about my educational background and professional experience directly related to the project. Other questions are technical skills related to the project and knowledge of the field. Some behavioral questions relating to the characteristics of the department were also asked.