Toys ''R'' Us Interview Questions

Updated Sep 14, 2014
Updated Sep 14, 2014

2.3

Sales Team Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in May 2013.

Sent application in, got a call back within a week or two. The call was to discuss the culture and mission of the store, salary, and set up the interview. At the interview they ASM, SM, and HR introduced themselves, talked about the store, asked us about ourselves, sent us to grab an item from the store and sale it to them. Broke up for individual interviews, asked more about me, and offered me the job. Although it was nerve wrecking because it was my first interview EVER. I would say it was easy.

None, minimum wage.

Sales Associate Interview

Make sure you come dressed to impress and be confident. They will ask you to pick out a toy from the sales floor and ask you to talk about the toy and sell it to them as if they were the customer.

Temporary Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)

I applied in-person - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in August 2014.

Group interview with around 13 people in the group. You were asked to get to know the person beside you & then report back to the group. You then were given a topic and had to engage in a group discussion whilst the interviewers looked on. Lastly, there is a toy under your seat & you have to look at it, understand it & then report back to the group, attempting to sell the toy back to them.

I thought I did everything well but unfortunately got a rejection letter about a week later. There were so many applicants, so this was to be expected.

Interview Questions
    • It was a group interview so just report back to us a little bit about the person next to you.   Answer Question

Cashier/Sales Team Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in May 2010.

I was called in for an interview the day after I applied online. The interview was rather short as I've answered the bulk of the personality questions on the online application. The environment was very relaxed and the questions were geared towards accessing whether I can get along with team members and customers.

Interview Questions
    • There weren't any unexpected questions. The interview itself was an attempt to access my communication skills and the way I presented myself. The recruiter asked me questions such as whether I'm good with people, and do I get into arguments.   Answer Question

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Council Bluffs, IA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Council Bluffs, IA (US)

I applied online. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in October 2010.

You are told the process over the phone, when they schedule the interview. It starts with a group interview where you introduce yourselves to the group, almost like a first day of class get to know you activity. Then applicants are given toys and the opportunity to "sell" them to the management and other applicants and "upsell" other items to go with the product in a presentation setting. They will then take select people aside for a one-on-one interview, in my experience, the job was offered on the spot.

Interview Questions
    • Pretty straight-forward and basic interview questions.   Answer Question
    No negotiation.

Over Night Stock Seasonal Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Fayetteville, GA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fayetteville, GA (US)

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in September 2014.

Process took about one week an employee from the store called and asked if I could come in the next day for a night interview I showed up to find out it was a group interview we all got a name tag and introduced our self then we had to go in the store for like 5 min and pick a toy and go back and sell it to the HR Managers as if they were the customers then after that we broke up into groups to build amusement parks out of legos after that we were called in for 1:1 interviews and was told they will call us back when background check came back and that took like 3 days to hear from them

N/A

Human Resources Department Supervisor Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in May 2012.

This is a three part interview.

The first is a general phone pre-screening from the Store Manager or HRDS. The questions are very general: "We work hard to play hard. Is this a type of company you would want to work for?" Pretty hokey takes five minutes.

The second is a selling interaction that was conducted by the Assistant Store Manager and Store Manager. This will go one of two ways. They will ask you to go to the floor, pick and object and sell it to them. Otherwise, they will have a table of merchandise and have you role play with the assistant manager. The second part to the second half has to do with teamwork and selling. You will be given a bag of blocks or legos and given 10 minutes to build and sell something with the person that you are interviewing against.

The third part was an interview with the Store Manager. The other person you are interviewing against is invited to walk the salesfloor to observe day to day operations. The questions are very situationally based around basic working in retail behaviors; How do you communicate? Do you like working in a team? Tell me about a time you solved a problem.

Interview Questions
    • I don't remember, but it was very centric around selling merchandise. I figure if I can recruit and sell a corporation I can BS and sell a swaddle.   View Answer
    I asked what they payscale was like for this store and district. They said 8-12 dollars. I told them I wanted 12 so they brought in the regional HR Manager to conduct an informal follow up interview. He made fun of my shoes and made me the offer.

Assistant Traffic Manager, Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Wayne, NJ (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wayne, NJ (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 days - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us.

Was contacted by a Toys-R-Us recruiter via email and applied online. After a couple of days, had a phone interview with HR, followed by in-person interview with 4 managers/hiring manager.

Very large and beautiful campus in Wayne, NJ, however not near public transportation. HR manager was very organized and gave out a company packet outlining the company and benefits.

Management should remain "Professional" during the interview process and HR should keep potential candidates abreast of their "status" if no longer interested.

Interview Questions
    • Do you have kids? (I thought that was illegal to ask)   View Answer

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in August 2014.

I applied online and got called around 2-4 days after posting. I had to call them back because I had miss their call since I wasn't there during the weekend. Prior to the interview, I surged on their main web site both the one in Canada and USA, also on Wikipedia to learn on their company. I also surged on every pages of GlassDoor in the interview sections to learn what I had to be expecting. I write down the most hard questions and try to answered them with my own knowledge. You don't need to retain every writing thing by heart, only to know in general about you will say.
     I spoke to the main manager and planned my interview for Thursday. Once I arrived 10 minutes earlier, I had to wait until another manager in charge of my 1 on 1 interview came.
    I was the only one being interviewed that day and the manager what really nice and open. Compared to the amount of research I had done prior to the interview, it was really easy. Once we finished, she scheduled one day of training for the next Thursday which went well also, the staff were also nice and she was also surprised that I knew their mascot.
    *Pointing out that there's like nobody who know it apparently, its Geoffrey the Giraffe.* which I wouldn't have knew if I didn't collected info on the company in advance obviously.

The rest of the questions I couldn't add:

-Do you have any questions for me?
    . What kind of training should I be expecting?
    . What is a typical day for a cashier?
    (I asked 2, because it seem that she wanted me to ask 2 ><')

- Why do you want to work in retail?
    . Because I realized at my previous job that I loved working with people.
    (You are a people person)

- How do you feel about working for a long time in a single spot, won't you get bored?
    . Like I had say about my previous job, I love to work with people. Although I had to take care of the customers coats in the locker room, I liked to chat with the people that came to put their stuff.
    (You find fun about discussing with the costumers, so its never boring)

-How long do you want to work here?
    . I'm free, my schedule is empty and I'm not a student for the time being. I want to work full time.
    (Part time / Full time, for the longest possible)

-What do you see in a leader?
    . In a leader, I see someone who is like a friend but also someone who can bring me back on the right path when troubles arise.
    (A kind and open leader who is also serious when the situation called for it)

Interview Questions
    • What is the mascot of Toy'R'Us   View Answer
    • Tell me about yourself
      (The first question that is typically asked)
        View Answer
    • Tell me about a time when you had to resolve something
      (Either work related or school related)
    • Tell me your weakness
      (Something that you can or will fix soon)
    • Tell me your strength
      (Something you are good at and that is also good for the post you are applying for)
        View Answer
    I did not negotiate the salary, it is 10,30$ CAD per hour, and I believe that as someone with little experience don't really have a complain about it.

Department Supervisor With Keys Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in February 2011.

Interviewed with asm and sm before being hired. Two different days. No group interview. No tough questions. Said whatever I wanted and they didn't care. Were hiring me based on resume and not on what I actually said. Sad sad sad sad sad sad SAD SAD SAD SAD Sad sad sad

Straight forward

Worked for Toys ''R'' Us? Contribute to the Community!