Travelers Companies

Relevance Date Difficulty

Summer Student Interview

Summer Student
Saint Paul, MN (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Travelers Companies in May 2014.

Interview Details Submitted a resume via email and received a voicemail about a week later to schedule a 30 minute phone interview. Heard back a week later from a contracting service saying I received the job and the logistics would be handled through their service.

Interview Question – Describe a project you have worked on with excel and how excel helped you to solve the problem.   Answer Question

Underwriter Trainee Interview

Underwriter Trainee

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Travelers Companies.

Interview Details I first had a phone interview where they just asked basic personality questions and to find out your interest in the position. They got back to me 3 weeks later for another in-person interview. I interviewed with four different people. I never heard back from them after that. Overall the people at the company where nice but they took a long time to get back to you after the interview.

Interview Question – Basic interview questions like name a time when you had to overcome a challenge.   Answer Question

Auto Damage Claims Representative Interview

Auto Damage Claims Representative

Interviewed at Travelers Companies

Interview Details The interview was a four step process that took about 1 month. The first step was a phone interview with one of their HR staff. The phone interview was very simple and laid back. My interviewer was very nice and mostly asked me questions about my resume and education, with a few scenario questions about my work experience. About a week after the phone interview I was asked to take a 3 hour test that was similar to the SAT, but with the questions geared toward insurance claims. There was really no way to prepare for it, but if you test well, this section of the interview will not be very difficult. Two days after I took the test, I was told that I passed and was asked to come in for an interview with the Claims managers. The interview took about two and a half hours and the questions were mostly scenario questions about how I handled various issues and tasks in my previous work experience. I thought that I did well, but was contacted a few days later with an email turning me down for the job opening. The position payed well and the interview was pretty in-depth, so it was a bummer when I got turned down for the position. I didn't get to the final step, but the fourth step is an interview with the HR managers.

Interview Question – Tell us about a time in your life where you failed or didn't measure up.   Answer Question

Senior Business Systems Analyst Interview

Senior Business Systems Analyst
Saint Paul, MN (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ months - interviewed at Travelers Companies in May 2014.

Interview Details Referred internally. Interviewed w/ a total of 7 people - two phone w/ HR. Both seemed to go very well. Invited in for interview w/ manager + 2 team members, HR said initial feedback was favorable. Asked to come back two weeks later for 2nd round. Interviewed w/ 2 VP's. 6 weeks later and still no answer up or down despite calls to internal HR recruiter. Unbelievable lack of professionalism. Up or down folkes. "No answer" indicates a culture of arrogance and lack of respect for applicants.

Interview Question – Typical behavioral questions - "Tell me a time when you..."   View Answer

Workers Comp Interview

Workers Comp

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Travelers Companies.

Interview Details Phone interviews followed by two in person interviews with three people. Spent about half a day with the team. I signed for a background check. They were very knowledgeable and friendly. One month has passed without any confirmation or rejection.

Interview Question – Unexpected question: they asked a few times about commute.   Answer Question

Outside Property Claims Representative Interview

Outside Property Claims Representative
Spokane, WA (US)

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Travelers Companies.

Interview Details Slow process - standard HR questions, situational questions (i.e. give a time when...). Testing given to determine if you can read/write/follow direction such as given a map and then asked to identify addresses, direction, etc.

Interview Question – Nothing out of the ordinary   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Travelers was unwilling to negotiate any aspect of the hiring level/salary/vacation time

Account Manager Interview

Account Manager
Houston, TX (US)

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Travelers Companies in May 2014.

Interview Details First I got an email from a recruiter to schedule a phone interview. Had interview and forward info to hiring manager, then a week later received an email to schedule a face to face interview. Interviewed face to face was told from manager should be hearing back in 2 weeks. A week later I received an email to schedule another face to face interview with 2 managers. I interviewed with manager, after that interview I shadowed someone for 30 mins. After that I had another interview with another manager. After that I was told should hear something in 2 weeks. A week later I received an email from the 2 managers boss over phone. After that interview I was told I should know if I received job in 2 weeks. The very next day I received an email from recruiter followed by a phone call saying I got job but I needed to put in application to do a background check and asked what my salary preference was. After that I received an email with offer and to go take drug test. After drug test, I received an email when to start.

Interview Question – Give me a scenario of when you approved something that you still regret.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Did not negotiate because they asked me what I wanted to make and it was approved. Salary is great..

Very Easy Interview

Associate Account Executive Interview

Associate Account Executive
Hartford, CT (US)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Travelers Companies in February 2014.

Interview Details The process was very professional. Phone Interview, Nice Application before process and test before interview. The only issue being in Hartford in winter you had to walk outside. The parking was not with th e same building. Hartford is a very confusing city so leave plenty of time.
Very nice as soon as you arrived.

Interview Question – There was nothing unexpected in questions   Answer Question

Administrative Interview

Administrative

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Travelers Companies.

Interview Details only had a phone interview with the director which went well. After the call i was invited to come over the next day!! i was expected more such as an in person interveiw but this was not needed

Claims Operations Specialist Interview

Claims Operations Specialist
Diamond Bar, CA (US)

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Travelers Companies in May 2014.

Interview Details I applied for a job on travelers website on 4/14. Received an email to schedule a phone interview on 5/2. Passed the phone interview. Went on the next step, which was in person screening. Received a call the very next day to move on to the next step, which was a panel interview. This was scheduled two weeks out. In the mean time I prepared for the interview thoroughly. I wanted to make sure I did well because I was determined to receive a job offer. The panel interview was a little surprising because there were 4 other interviewees that I was not prepared to see. I thought for a second that it was a group interview and I would have probably walked out if that were the case.

We basically played round robin and each person interviewed then switched to the next interview. There were a total of 5 all together.

During the interviews I believed I really gave it my all and even after a couple negative moments I was able to quickly turn it around to the point where I felt confident that I impressed them under pressure. Also, on 2 occasions, I had my interviews say “Wow” when I asked them my questions at the end.

Good Impressions:

Most interviewers were very attentive and seemed interested in what I was saying.

They looked like they were taking very thorough notes

They also seemed unusually pleasant, only way I can describe it is right out of the movie Pleasantville

Bad Impressions:

One of the ladies being on her phone and texting here and there

During one of my interviews I was, quite literally, interrogated about my length of time in college. School part-time, working full-time definitely makes the four-year plan out of reach.

Another woman basically rolled her eyes at me during my interview.

It seemed like icebreaker jokes went right over their heads. Very serious people here

One of the other candidates decided to leave during the panel interview process and I am certain it was based on the lack of friendly questions asked by the two ladies there.

Based on recent reviews of how the company runs and operates, I believe receiving no offer was a blessing in disguise.

Interview Question – Were the personal questions, ie, length of time in school. I felt judged on something that I deem a personal success story.   View Answer

Worked for Travelers Companies? Contribute to the Community!