Travelers Companies Interview Questions

Updated Sep 14, 2014
Updated Sep 14, 2014

Property Claims Representative Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Travelers Companies.

Resume submitted online, contacted by mgmt within the office to conduct phone interview. 2nd interview was with middle management staff, behavioral questions as expected. Third interview started with upper management and HR, and you are eventually matched with one-two current employees for a Peer Interview. Take this opportunity to ask more informal questions about the role (I.e. How long have they been there, expected daily routine, etc).

Interview Questions
    • Think of a time when you were forced to make a business decision without having ALL of the information you needed; what did you do, what was the result, and what did you learn from it?   Answer Question
    The company "hires ahead", meaning they try to stay competitive by remaining slightly above others in the industry for starting wages. Negotiation for initial salary is highly unlikely.

Senior Business Systems Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Saint Paul, MN (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Paul, MN (US)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months - interviewed at Travelers Companies in May 2014.

Referred internally. Interviewed w/ a total of 7 people - two phone w/ HR. Both seemed to go very well. Invited in for interview w/ manager + 2 team members, HR said initial feedback was favorable. Asked to come back two weeks later for 2nd round. Interviewed w/ 2 VP's. 6 weeks later and still no answer up or down despite calls to internal HR recruiter. Unbelievable lack of professionalism. Up or down folkes. "No answer" indicates a culture of arrogance and lack of respect for applicants.

Interview Questions
    • Typical behavioral questions - "Tell me a time when you..."   View Answer

Workers Comp Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Travelers Companies.

Phone interviews followed by two in person interviews with three people. Spent about half a day with the team. I signed for a background check. They were very knowledgeable and friendly. One month has passed without any confirmation or rejection.

Interview Questions
    • Unexpected question: they asked a few times about commute.   Answer Question

Outside Property Claims Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Spokane, WA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Spokane, WA (US)

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Travelers Companies.

Slow process - standard HR questions, situational questions (i.e. give a time when...). Testing given to determine if you can read/write/follow direction such as given a map and then asked to identify addresses, direction, etc.

Interview Questions
    Travelers was unwilling to negotiate any aspect of the hiring level/salary/vacation time

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Houston, TX (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX (US)

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Travelers Companies in May 2014.

First I got an email from a recruiter to schedule a phone interview. Had interview and forward info to hiring manager, then a week later received an email to schedule a face to face interview. Interviewed face to face was told from manager should be hearing back in 2 weeks. A week later I received an email to schedule another face to face interview with 2 managers. I interviewed with manager, after that interview I shadowed someone for 30 mins. After that I had another interview with another manager. After that I was told should hear something in 2 weeks. A week later I received an email from the 2 managers boss over phone. After that interview I was told I should know if I received job in 2 weeks. The very next day I received an email from recruiter followed by a phone call saying I got job but I needed to put in application to do a background check and asked what my salary preference was. After that I received an email with offer and to go take drug test. After drug test, I received an email when to start.

Interview Questions
    • Give me a scenario of when you approved something that you still regret.   Answer Question
    Did not negotiate because they asked me what I wanted to make and it was approved. Salary is great..

Associate Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Hartford, CT (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hartford, CT (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Travelers Companies in February 2014.

The process was very professional. Phone Interview, Nice Application before process and test before interview. The only issue being in Hartford in winter you had to walk outside. The parking was not with th e same building. Hartford is a very confusing city so leave plenty of time.
    Very nice as soon as you arrived.

Administrative Interview

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Travelers Companies.

only had a phone interview with the director which went well. After the call i was invited to come over the next day!! i was expected more such as an in person interveiw but this was not needed

Claims Operations Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Diamond Bar, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Diamond Bar, CA (US)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Travelers Companies in May 2014.

I applied for a job on travelers website on 4/14. Received an email to schedule a phone interview on 5/2. Passed the phone interview. Went on the next step, which was in person screening. Received a call the very next day to move on to the next step, which was a panel interview. This was scheduled two weeks out. In the mean time I prepared for the interview thoroughly. I wanted to make sure I did well because I was determined to receive a job offer. The panel interview was a little surprising because there were 4 other interviewees that I was not prepared to see. I thought for a second that it was a group interview and I would have probably walked out if that were the case.

We basically played round robin and each person interviewed then switched to the next interview. There were a total of 5 all together.

During the interviews I believed I really gave it my all and even after a couple negative moments I was able to quickly turn it around to the point where I felt confident that I impressed them under pressure. Also, on 2 occasions, I had my interviews say “Wow” when I asked them my questions at the end.

Good Impressions:

Most interviewers were very attentive and seemed interested in what I was saying.

They looked like they were taking very thorough notes

They also seemed unusually pleasant, only way I can describe it is right out of the movie Pleasantville

Bad Impressions:

One of the ladies being on her phone and texting here and there

During one of my interviews I was, quite literally, interrogated about my length of time in college. School part-time, working full-time definitely makes the four-year plan out of reach.

Another woman basically rolled her eyes at me during my interview.

It seemed like icebreaker jokes went right over their heads. Very serious people here

One of the other candidates decided to leave during the panel interview process and I am certain it was based on the lack of friendly questions asked by the two ladies there.

Based on recent reviews of how the company runs and operates, I believe receiving no offer was a blessing in disguise.

Interview Questions
    • Were the personal questions, ie, length of time in school. I felt judged on something that I deem a personal success story.   View Answer

Senior Consultant Interview

Went to a career fair for resume drop and initial screening. Passed my first interview at career fair and got an on-site offer three weeks later. The on-site interview lasted 6 hours including a lunch meeting. All one-on-one meetins with manager on different teams within the group. Recieved the verbal offer very shortly.

Interview Questions
    • Most technical question was to write a program for a simple task and suggest different ways to achieve the target.
      Most unexpected question was "what was the biggest risk you have taken?"
      Most difficult questions were to "plan and state all the necessary steps to run a complete project?"
      and "What do you think is the most difficult and time-consuming phase in a project and how did you overcome obstacles?"
      "What made you choose your career interest?"
        Answer Question

Worker's Compensation Claim Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Saint Paul, MN (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Paul, MN (US)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Travelers Companies in October 2013.

I received an email for an interview within a week of applying. I was brought into an empty office and asked a series of standard questions about working in a fast-paced environment (highly emphasized), handling disappointed customers (since you will be denying some claims), and other generic questions (greatest weakness, etc.). The interview was fantastic, but it took them a few weeks to get back to me with their offer. By the time I was offered the position, I had already reached a deadline to accept a promotion within my current company.

Interview Questions
    • Very typical questions. Most difficult was probably "Give an example of a time you were disciplined at work" which I interpreted as "greatest weakness"   Answer Question

I was offered a promotion at my current job before I heard back from Traveler's.