TxDOT Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Jun 4, 2014
11 interviews

2.3

Data Modeler Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Austin, TX (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX (US)

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at TxDOT in August 2012.

Short hire meaning one interview. Phone interview, than in person interview. Interview lasted approximately one hour. Questions regarding data modeling only as what the job for. Interviewer not a modeler so way over her head - kinda like a deer in the headlights.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult questions or unexpected questions. Only technical questions asked.   Answer Question
    State employment, no interview negotation.

Summer Intern (Traffic Operations) Interview

- Very informal interview, was called in to the office to talk to who would be my supervisor
    - Asked general questions about past work experience, knowledge of the field, etc.
    - Was told they'd let me know within a week or two

The hourly wage for a summer intern was based off of hours completed. As a junior with almost senior credits, I was paid about $12.50

Transportation Engineer III Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Austin, TX (US)
    Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX (US)

I interviewed online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at TxDOT in February 2014.

I received a call from a newly promoted engineering supervisor calling me in for a position for which I had applied earlier in the week. As I had just started with another employer, I arranged for an after-hours interview about a week later.

The formal interview was rote- written questions, and interviewer spent time furiously transcribing my verbal answers, instead of conversing and observing body language. I tried to ask some questions of my own, to try to get a feel for the work and the business processes, but that didn't go very far. We got through all of the questions from the employer side, but I was cut short when the interviewer got a call after we had been talking a little less than 1 hour. I didn't get a chance to see any of the current projects, learn anything about workload & backlog, and being after-hours, didn't meet any of the rest of the team.

I got a call the next day expressing interest (and a few more calls over the next couple of weeks while references were checked), and a verbal offer about 3-1/2 weeks after the interview. No written offer was given. I declined the offer (it was very low), and countered with a compromise amount between the lowball offer and my current salary. The counter-offer was declined and the original offer repeated, with a short time to "take-it-or-leave-it".

Interview Questions
    • N/A- the questions were all designed to probe level of experience/ expertise with job description requirements. Two of the six or seven questions were virtually identical in scope, only phrased differently.   Answer Question

Lowball offer, counter-offer which was well within advertised range was declined and lowball offer was repeated, unchanged, with a very short time to accept or decline (and no opportunity to learn more about the position or the work group).

In retrospect, I dodged a bullet when they declined my counter-offer. Based on behavior of the supervisor (and supposedly, his management), I would probably have been walking into a very unsatisfying workplace- and been taking a 10% pay cut for the privilege.

Accountant Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Austin, TX (US)
    Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX (US)

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at TxDOT in May 2013.

Meet representative at a job fair and applied online. First had a brief phone interview and then an on-site interview.

Interview Questions
    • What is the difference between financial and managerial accounting?   Answer Question

Welder Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  El Paso, TX (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in El Paso, TX (US)

I interviewed in-person. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at TxDOT in December 2009.

no high school diploma required,did application passed a welding exam passed a driving license background check went to several unnecessary interviews no high school diploma needed for this work passed probationary period

Interview Questions
    • when will i continue my high school graduation?   View Answer
    told my boss i would finish my high school diploma later

Auditor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Antonio, TX (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX (US)

I interviewed online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at TxDOT in July 2012.

I applied for the position in June and was called in July for an interview. I meet with the supervisor and had the interview. 3 weeks past and I got a call informing me that they had made a decision on the candidate and they had decided on me. I was a happy camper. 2 weeks later I received my official paperwork and will start on Oct 1.

Interview Questions
    • What is determined to be clear evidence by IIA standards?   Answer Question
    The salary is already set by the state. Your offered will be based on your perceived skill level. I was offered the max for the position and I accepted. Once you are in the door and can prove your value the raise will come with the promotions.

Planner Interview

I interviewed through other source. The process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at TxDOT.

Only those with inside connections get hired.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me how you would handle a false accusation by a co-worker.   Answer Question
    Baby steps.

Maintenance Tech Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Gainesville, TX (US)
    Anonymous Employee in Gainesville, TX (US)

I interviewed online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at TxDOT in March 2011.

took way to long

Interview Questions

they wanted me to take a pay cut ( this is at the same I have been working at for 15 years)

Engineering Tech I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Austin, TX (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX (US)

The process took a day - interviewed at TxDOT in May 2012.

Just talked to the head engineer.

No negotiation

Engineering Tech I Summer Intern Interview

I interviewed online. The process took a day - interviewed at TxDOT in May 2009.

They called me in, asked me questions about my experience and how much math I knew. They said mostly basic algebra was necessary.

Interview Questions
    • What was an experience you've had working in the field.   View Answer
    I did not negotiate

Worked for TxDOT? Contribute to the Community!