TxDOT Interview Questions

Updated 16 Sep 2014
Updated 16 Sep 2014

2.5

Assistant Materials and Warehouse Supervisor II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bryan, TX (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bryan, TX (US)

I applied in-person – interviewed at TxDOT.

Initial communications good, scheduling for interview good. Interviewer, however, took 6 hours to complete the interview process (not including an hour lunch break at the noon hour). Interviewer was not very organized in the process. The interview should have taken no longer than two hours to complete. His office was well-organized in contrast to his somewhat rambling interview process. The physical environment was comfortable.

Interview Questions
    • Difficult in the subject matter: interviewer asked what my supervisory style would be with our subordinates. My style contrasted his: he was apparently a micro-manager, allowing competent subordinates very little room for initiative and decision-making, and a lack of trust in both subordinates and higher management. My style was to learn the competencies of each subordinate in order to let them exercise their initiative and decision-making; and rather than not trust until that was earned, I preferred trusting until an action or actions on the part of an individual dictated mis-trust or rather, closer supervision of an individual.   Answer Question
    Yes. Although initially I did not accept the offer because of the salary, the offer of a higher salary that was acceptable at the time did lead me to accept the offer, despite a move across the state.

Accounting Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Worth, TX (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Worth, TX (US)

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at TxDOT in July 2014.

Applied online. Took two months to get an interview. Had to drive three hours for interview. Took additional two weeks to here back from interviewer. Wasn't given the opportunity to give any references or reference letters. Interviewer called after interview and asked a couple of different questions over a three week period then I never heard from her again. Not sure what happened.

Summer Intern (Traffic Operations) Interview

- Very informal interview, was called in to the office to talk to who would be my supervisor
    - Asked general questions about past work experience, knowledge of the field, etc.
    - Was told they'd let me know within a week or two

The hourly wage for a summer intern was based off of hours completed. As a junior with almost senior credits, I was paid about $12.50

Transportation Engineer III Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX (US)

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at TxDOT in February 2014.

I received a call from a newly promoted engineering supervisor calling me in for a position for which I had applied earlier in the week. As I had just started with another employer, I arranged for an after-hours interview about a week later.

The formal interview was rote- written questions, and interviewer spent time furiously transcribing my verbal answers, instead of conversing and observing body language. I tried to ask some questions of my own, to try to get a feel for the work and the business processes, but that didn't go very far. We got through all of the questions from the employer side, but I was cut short when the interviewer got a call after we had been talking a little less than 1 hour. I didn't get a chance to see any of the current projects, learn anything about workload & backlog, and being after-hours, didn't meet any of the rest of the team.

I got a call the next day expressing interest (and a few more calls over the next couple of weeks while references were checked), and a verbal offer about 3-1/2 weeks after the interview. No written offer was given. I declined the offer (it was very low), and countered with a compromise amount between the lowball offer and my current salary. The counter-offer was declined and the original offer repeated, with a short time to "take-it-or-leave-it".

Interview Questions
    • N/A- the questions were all designed to probe level of experience/ expertise with job description requirements. Two of the six or seven questions were virtually identical in scope, only phrased differently.   Answer Question

Lowball offer, counter-offer which was well within advertised range was declined and lowball offer was repeated, unchanged, with a very short time to accept or decline (and no opportunity to learn more about the position or the work group).

In retrospect, I dodged a bullet when they declined my counter-offer. Based on behavior of the supervisor (and supposedly, his management), I would probably have been walking into a very unsatisfying workplace- and been taking a 10% pay cut for the privilege.

Accountant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX (US)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at TxDOT in May 2013.

Meet representative at a job fair and applied online. First had a brief phone interview and then an on-site interview.

Interview Questions
    • What is the difference between financial and managerial accounting?   Answer Question

Highway Administration Interview

I applied online – interviewed at TxDOT in January 2013.

You must pass a physical and drug screen, they then call you in for an interview in one of their conference rooms with the head of the department and or an assistant. Standard interview questions, tell us about your prior employment, why should we hire you, etc..

Interview Questions
    • What assets would you bring to TXDOT if we hired you.   View Answer
    No negotiations, they either hire you or nor at the posted salary.

Planner Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at TxDOT.

Only those with inside connections get hired.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me how you would handle a false accusation by a co-worker.   Answer Question
    Baby steps.

Data Modeler Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX (US)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at TxDOT in August 2012.

Short hire meaning one interview. Phone interview, than in person interview. Interview lasted approximately one hour. Questions regarding data modeling only as what the job for. Interviewer not a modeler so way over her head - kinda like a deer in the headlights.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult questions or unexpected questions. Only technical questions asked.   Answer Question
    State employment, no interview negotation.

Auditor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX (US)

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at TxDOT in July 2012.

I applied for the position in June and was called in July for an interview. I meet with the supervisor and had the interview. 3 weeks past and I got a call informing me that they had made a decision on the candidate and they had decided on me. I was a happy camper. 2 weeks later I received my official paperwork and will start on Oct 1.

Interview Questions
    • What is determined to be clear evidence by IIA standards?   Answer Question
    The salary is already set by the state. Your offered will be based on your perceived skill level. I was offered the max for the position and I accepted. Once you are in the door and can prove your value the raise will come with the promotions.

Engineering Tech I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX (US)

The process took a dayinterviewed at TxDOT in May 2012.

Just talked to the head engineer.

No negotiation