UBS

502 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Senior Applicatioin Developer Interview

Sydney

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 months - interviewed at UBS in April 2010.

Interview Details At first there was a telephone screening. Then the second turn is design pattern and UML, then core java, then java threading, then questions based on my background. At last I was interviewed by the development department manager. So there was 6 turns interview.

Interview Questions

• we are using udp, and find out the client program could not receive the udp packet, do u know where is the problem.   View Answer
  • draw the UML for design patterns, lots of. such as visitor, abstract factory....   View Answer

Wealth Management Associate Interview

Dallas, TX (US)

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at UBS in July 2013.

Interview Details There were 3 rounds of interview. Some were 1:1 but most were 2:1. Each time I went in for an interview I was there for about 1.5-2 hours. There were lots of fit questions and some technical questions, but nothing too crazy. Lots of questions about UBS Private Wealth Management and why they are different from other PWM shops.

Interview Question – What makes us different from our competitors and why did you chose to interview with us?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There isn't room for negotiation on salary. I tried but to no avail.

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

Interviewed at UBS

Interview Details Received an interview after speaking with current employees. The interview was conducted in brackets with 3 people. Questions were standard and all interviewees were quite nice.

Interview Question – Why UBS? (I have always struggled with this type of question)   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Business Analyst Interview

London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at UBS in January 2012.

Interview Details The scheme is designed to develop individuals who can lead and manage our complex business units and functions, which play a crucial role in ensuring that we are able to capitalise on the strength of our investment capability. We are looking for individuals who are excited about delivering commercial success by applying a combination of analysis, strategic thinking, relationship management and leadership skills. This scheme will suit graduates who have a commercial mind-set and want to gain an in-depth understanding of how a dynamic business works in order to take up a future leadership role.

Interview Question – The scheme typically lasts between 12 and 18 months and involves a series of three month placements in our business units. In each rotation, you will work closely with senior management and colleagues to expand your range of skills and competencies.   View Answer

Sales Interview

New York, NY (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at UBS in March 2014.

Interview Details 20 minutes interview

Interview Question – Why sales? Why UBS? Extracurricular activities? Pitch a stock   Answer Question

Legal Intern Interview

Kraków (Poland)

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at UBS in November 2013.

Interview Details It took them 3 weeks to call me from the moment that I applied at their web site. The interview was part in polish and part in english, nothing special, just normal questions like why ubs, questions about my previous job, education etc.

Interview Question – nothing unexpected or difficult, standard questions   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

London, England (UK)

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 4 months - interviewed at UBS in February 2013.

Interview Details Initially had the impression that the office is very unmaintained and dirty. The people who did the interview were very professional. They use some really outdated technologies but that is true of any bank. There are varying number of interview rounds depending on team, but usually it will include solving an example task.

Interview Question – Specific trading industry knowledge, knowing the difference between an option and a future.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Ask for at least 30% more money they initially offer.

Director, Investment Banking Interview

New York, NY (US)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at UBS in February 2010.

Interview Details Interview process was smooth but they negotiated to bring me a year behind given slow market, highlighting their transanctional nature. Not something you look for in an ideal employer.

Interview Question – Technical question from a smart Exec Director   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Be firm in your demands and having an alternate offer helps.

Emerging Talent Program Zurich Interview

I applied online and the process took 2+ months - interviewed at UBS in March 2014.

Interview Details two interviews - first one with HR and second one with line manager; first interview in German except for two questions and second one in English, as he was from the UK

Interview Question – I had to write an essay: If you could employ one person for UBS except you, who would it be and why? which is what they asked me about in both interviews. The other questions were competency based and the HR one was more about the programme.   View Answer

Senior C# Developer Interview

Hong Kong (Hong Kong)

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took a day - interviewed at UBS in March 2014.

Interview Details Completely Textbook Recite Interview. Looking for textbook memory guy rather than analysis.

First got a 30 minutes over-the-phone question set by the ED level lead
- Very Large Object Heap, how do you reallocate super long array objects back to heap, and the problem with VLOH
- The fastest way of copying array in C# is memory copy (do you need to get this low level with C#? How do you know the CLR is not optimizing towards memory copy?)
- How do you implement a ArrayList (actually it is an array with list implementation) and the problem with it (this is not generic in C# and is legacy for so many years already. I guess little candidate still know the super legacy ArrayList C#?)
- List out new features for C# .NET 3.5, 4.0, 4.5.

IF, you can pass all these questions over phone, you will be given a 1.5 hour on site face to face technical questions again with 2 VP team members.
- Differences between ValueTypes and Reference Types, and give some examples
- Precisely - Differences in "memory representation" in ValueTypes and References Types (They are referring to Heap and Stack, and it's incorrectly described as memory representation)
- Where objects get allocated in memory (Heap and Stack)
- What can you do with delegates but not events
- Is delegate Reference Type or Value Type
- What is EventHandler, EventArgs
- List out Actions/Func difference with delegate, events
- What is the major differences for function pointer in C++ and delegate in C# (I said inheritance / contravariance ....) But MSDN it says type safety.
- Do you know what is the IL ("bytecode") being generated for Property in C#
- What is the significance for Property in C# (Data Binding)
- How do you pass by reference with primitive types (convoluted question that you need to use out as parameter like TryGet methods in Collections)

GUI question set:
- Can you map a field in WPF without using Property
- Cross threads operation. BeginInvoke, ..... etc etc etc

- The rest - just open the MSDN C# Programming Guide and CLR Spec and recite, please

Tools Section
- What tools do you use to help refactor, profile memory (Resharper, Redant, VS Premium Profiler, Performance Monitor,....)
- How do you do unit testing, TDD, do you do test first or write the stuffs first, etc

Experience Section
- Did you experience some scenarios that your screen is freezing and how do you fix this

To close out the interview, you need to recite this:
- I am very interested in C# best practices from your experiences. Must be VERY C# specific (not to say those Unit testing, SDLC, ) You must be able to suggest some

If you are still able to break through this
You will be given another on site pair coding test.

And the end the interviewer reiterates: Sorry, we just have too many best of the very best people in this industry, proclaiming he is the worst within the team.

Interview Question – The vacancy has been there for 1 year already. Hong Kong has 7 million population.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at UBS

Worked for UBS? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at UBS interview questions and advice. All 502 interview reviews are posted anonymously by UBS employees and interview candidates.