UPS Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Aug 24, 2014
592 interviews

2.1

Part Time Package Handler Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Parsippany, NJ (US)
    Anonymous Employee in Parsippany, NJ (US)

I interviewed online. The process took 3 days - interviewed at UPS in August 2014.

I applied as a package handler and was able to schedule an interview immediately upon filling out an online application. I thought this was cool but when I got there I realized there was nothing cool about this position.

I was sat down with a few other men applying for the position and a woman came out and told us about it. She said that she wasn't going to lie and that the work is extremely hard,

She then took us on a tour into the warehouse and the place felt like something out of a nightmare. It was unbearably loud with endless beeping noises. Employees were being screamed at to work harder. The tour leader said that people unloading must lift one heavy package every three seconds or a total of 1,200 packages per hour. I would have thought such an arduous task was humanly impossible but somehow they expect employees to do it.

They offered me the job without asking many questions, but I knew I wasn't up for the task and declined.

Interview Questions
    • There weren't many questions. They did most of the talking.   Answer Question

I wasn't going to subject myself to that kind of torture.

Part Time Package Handler Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Indianapolis, IN (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN (US)

I interviewed online. The process took 3 days - interviewed at UPS in October 2013.

We were talked to in a group. If you fill out the application online and they do not give you an interview by the time you are done with the online application you will probably not get hired. If you did and it is in a big city for a main hub there will be other people in the class everyone gets a tour he ask if you think you can do the job and if you say yes you come back and then you are hired you fill out paper work as a class and then you get your start day and time.

Part Time Package Handler Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Springfield, VA (US)
    Anonymous Employee in Springfield, VA (US)

I interviewed online. The process took 4 days - interviewed at UPS in April 2014.

Applied online, was informed of open house interviews, selected a date, was told about the job, mentioned that I worked Christmas and no offer was made at the end of the season (even surprising my driver) and was asked to return three days later with ID and direct deposit information. I had that with me. The second interview entailed filling out forms and the interviewer said someone would get back to me. That was April, this is August. According to the website my application is active. Unbaptized babies no longer go to limbo but people willing to start work at four in the morning remain in limbo indefinitely.

General Ledger Accountant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Coppell, TX (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Coppell, TX (US)

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 5 days - interviewed at UPS in May 2013.

As a referral applicant, I sent email to a specific contact. It was only a matter of days when I received a reply email asking me to show up for interview.

During the interview, I was asked standard interview questions: Tell me about yourself. Where do you see yourself in X years, etc. Interviewers are looking for people with former account reconciliation experience; along with strong Microsoft Excel/Access expertise.

Interview Questions
    • Why did you choose Accounting as a career?   View Answer
    Neg

Industrial Engineer Interview

I interviewed through college or university - interviewed at UPS.

I was contacted within a couple weeks. I met them at a job fair, so it's likely they had a lot of applicants to process. I was brought in for an in person interview where I was asked pretty typical questions. There was also a basic skills test with very easy math and problem solving as well as an aptitude test. Overall, not too bad. As long as you've done a few interviews before and have some decent experience or extra curricular activities you should be fine. Have examples of you problem solving, meeting goals, mediating confrontation, and leading. The aptitude looks for consistency most of all, you can choose what you will, but it has to be dead consistent.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a goal you met and how you achieved it.
      Tell me about a time you had a disagreement with a coworker and how you overcame that challenge.
        Answer Question
    None whatsoever, at the intern level, they have a set package. Time off and personal days are at the discretion of your manager and supervisor which could be good or bad.

Package Handler Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Oakland, CA (US)
    Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA (US)

I interviewed online - interviewed at UPS in April 2011.

Took four days but was very educational.they go over all the rules and regulations , they tour the work plant and make bages for entering into the building it is truly an exspierince.

UPS Sorter Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at UPS.

Applied online, scheduled tour online also. During tour walked around facility and was given descriptions of different position within the facility. After tour taken into a room and asked if I felt I could do the job I said and and was hired just like that

Part Time Package Handler Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Hodgkins, IL (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hodgkins, IL (US)

I interviewed online. The process took 4 days - interviewed at UPS in May 2014.

Super easy interview, most of it is just to confirm things on your app, but there is a massive catch: the main one being that the pay is LAUGHABLE for work you'll be putting into one shift, and they know it.

Even worse, they take out union dues every single week, more than one and 1/2 of your hourly rate in most cases, even though you don't have any union protection during your first 40 days of work and can be fired merely because you didn't dot your I's or cross your T's (which is a scam in my book, but that's a story for another day).

Add in the fact that it's an unsafe working environment at best, and that the job description lies about the 70 pounds thing (you'll have to lift over 70's when putting in or unloading "bulk") and again, the meager pay, I'll just flat out say you're better off literally flipping burgers than risking your neck as a "package handler" at UPS.

Oh, and if you're thinking of going in at the bottom and trying to move up, think again! They have a "non-rehire" policy, so if you suck at loading or unloading, or you full time supervisor doesn't like you, you'll never be able to work for the company again!

So think hard before you pursue this position.

Interview Questions
    • None. Depending on the HR rep you get, they might toss in "Why do you want to work for UPS" or "What does safety mean to you?", but they really use the 40 day work period as the interview.

The hard part is getting a call back.
        Answer Question
    None. $8.50. Take it or leave it.

Seasonal Driver Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Charlotte, NC (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC (US)

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at UPS in October 2013.

Must prove you can drive the brown parcel truck as last part of the interview. You will go out with a center supervisor and they will want to see basic skills like backing into a loading zone, watching center traffic, stopping at all necessary stops, and going safe speed and honking horn to alert others also be prepared to stop on a hill using parking break and then going forward releasing parking break and giving gas at same time so the truck does not go backwards down the hill. You will go around the center first then you will go on about a 5 mile round trip in traffic.

Interview Questions
    • Didn't expect to have skills test of driving truck at end of first interview. Thought maybe that might happen on a 2nd but they want to know right away if you have any trouble. General questions were not unexpected.   View Answer
    Rate was not negotiable and no benefits due to it being seasonal position

Co Op Interview

I interviewed through college or university - interviewed at UPS in August 2014.

Applied through university website and got a call the following week asking basic questions about my gpa, major and a little of what I currently know. Got another call the next week and set up a panel interview. Interview was fairly easy, most of the questions were based on my resume and also behavioral questions were asked. Just waiting on a call to see if I get hired or not.

Interview Questions
    • How do you go about testing your programs/applications.   Answer Question

Worked for UPS? Contribute to the Community!