US Department of Health and Human Services

Updated 13 Aug 2014
Updated 13 Aug 2014

2.7

N/A Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Carson City, NV (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Carson City, NV (US)

I applied online - interviewed at US Department of Health and Human Services in April 2014.

Had to apply online through the State website. Had to take an exam to qualify which I was contacted to take about two weeks after submitting my application. Two weeks later after passing the exam and becoming eligible I was contacted for an interview. Interview was fairly easy. Asked a series of 5 questions. Two of the questions were behavioral questions. For example, "If you and another employee weren't getting along, how would you resolve the issue?"

Interview Questions
    • How does your experience relate to this position?   View Answer

Student Extern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Lawton, OK (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lawton, OK (US)

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at US Department of Health and Human Services.

No interview process was conducted. Internship occurred during the winter break between semesters. Informed of hiring via phone call after application was reviewed

IT Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Washington, DC (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC (US)

I applied online. The process took 12 months - interviewed at US Department of Health and Human Services in November 2013.

I applied for the position via USA Jobs in March 2013. I was contacted by a manager via e-mail at the end of October 2013, requesting an updated copy of my resume and my availability for a phone interview. A few days later I had a phone interview with a manager, I later received a phone call from another manager stating that I was referred to him for a potential job opportunity within his division. I had a phone interview with him the very next day and was offered an in-person interview which took place early November 2013. The in-person interview consisted of 3 interviews with the manager and two of his staff members. Each interview lasted about 15-20 minutes. The manager stated that he was going to consult with his team and contact me with a decision by the end of the week (November 2013). I had not heard anything about the job so I followed up with the manager and was told that there was hang up in HR and that he would get back to me regarding next steps. I received a few e-mails requesting updated documents. I received my tentative job offer March 31, 2014. The process took one year from application to receiving the offer.

Interview Questions
    • The interview questions were based mostly on my experience so there were not any difficult questions. I did answer a few behavioral questions like "What would you do if you received an assignment from two different people, how would you prioritize it?"   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation.

Systems Analyst IV Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 week - interviewed at US Department of Health and Human Services.

Small one hour interview with fixed set of questions from a sheet

No negotiations

Communications Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Bethesda, MD (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethesda, MD (US)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at US Department of Health and Human Services in June 2013.

Very complicated and multilevel in paperwork, but in person only one person. I wasn't asked as many questions as I was told what would be expected of me. This department had already had two people quit and so they really needed someone to come on board and help. My job duties were nebulous because I believe there was no job description at the time, and they were bridging gaps.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to leave your current position?   View Answer
    There wasn't any. I was told that was their ceiling for my position and take it or not.

IT Liaison Interview

Submitted resume and filled application.
    For called for interview.
    Interview friendly no hard questions.

Deputy Director of Operations Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 days - interviewed at US Department of Health and Human Services.

I was recruited by the Secretary. First interview was with the White House Liaison, then I interviewed with one of the Secretary's Senior Advisors. After that I interviewed with two Assistant Secretaries and the Director of another office with an opening. The final interview was with the White House Liaison to determine which office would be the best fit.

Interview Questions
    • Most difficult question related to internal policy issues with which I was not acquainted.   View Answer
    The negotiation phase was about which GS level I would start at. It was fair, and quick.

Staff Auditor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Monterey Park, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Monterey Park, CA (US)

The process took a day - interviewed at US Department of Health and Human Services in October 2011.

I got the the interview through their college campus recruitment through the career center's job board. I was a selected candidate for an entry-level staff auditor position. The interview lasted for about 45 minutes in the morning. They were looking for candidates with interpersonal skills, some audit experience, and technical writing skills. They had asked me to describe my past experience in those three areas. I had illustrated my interpersonal skills by telling them about my past experience of gathering business requirements from numerous stakeholders for projects. I had also elaborated on my auditing skills as I have completed an information technologies compliance audit. Finally, discussed the aptitude of my technical writing skills from my past experiences creating internal control procedures, documenting business processes, and variance reporting for senior management.

Health Insurance Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Washington, DC (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC (US)

I applied online. The process took 6 months - interviewed at US Department of Health and Human Services in October 2011.

My interview was a panel with 5 people in the room and 2 on the phone. Interviewers were seeking specific skills to fill specific positions within their divisions. Questions asked ranged from knowledge of specific health insurance policy questions to functional areas such as project management, regulation writing, and healthcare economics.

Interview Questions
    • The questions weren't difficult - selling enthusiasm and mission focus were the key things for this interview.   Answer Question
    Was not able to successfully negotiate due to a non-transparent HR system.

Program Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Columbia, SC (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia, SC (US)

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at US Department of Health and Human Services in March 2011.

I applied online, received a call about 3 weeks later to schedule an interview. The interview was a panel interview consisting of 3 supervisors. They took turns asking questions, very strange questions, such as your biggest weakness. Also, they tended to ask different questions that all had the same answer.

Interview Questions

Worked for US Department of Health and Human Services? Contribute to the Community!